PDA

View Full Version : EJ back to the Middle???

Ddawg84
05-02-2006, 01:12 AM
With Greenway likely going to be playing the Weakside Linebacker position where EJ Henderson started 16 games last season for our vikes, what are the odds that they move him back to the middle after his time away from the position. I pray he goes back to the middle, I thought he really started to show flashes of his potential last season, and he is my boy! I really hope we don't move Thomas into that position in favor of EJ. What do you guys think? Greenway, EJ, Leber or a different combination... either way, I think EJ will prove he belongs back in the middle, I just hope he can adjust to the new cover 2 defense!

V4L
05-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Greenway... EJ.... Leber..

Sounds good to me!

DaVizzles
05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
It Should be

Greenway....Harris......Blue :grin:

MightyVikes12391
05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
"DaVizzles" wrote:

It Should be

I like this idea

V4L
05-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Blue is a project...

Leber is probably our best LB and needs to play

EJ is an emerging star and needs to be there also

Greenway will probably get the start.. I hope so atleast he is the best option

Greeny... EJ... Leber

Future:

Greeny.... EJ.... Blue

DiehardVikesFan
05-02-2006, 01:22 AM
EJ really lacks in speed and the mental ability to play in the middle of the Tampa 2. His coverage skills are terrible, I would be shocked if he played in the middle.

VikesAllTheWay112642
05-02-2006, 01:25 AM
I think it should be:

Greenway.....DT.......Leber

BradTheMan14
05-02-2006, 01:28 AM
ej should start wearing that huge neck roll he wore back at maryland..that would be intimidating..i dont think he has the coverage skills to play middle in the cover two tho..i would like to see him and greenway in the starting line up as the two OLB's

Ddawg84
05-02-2006, 01:29 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Blue is a project...

Leber is probably our best LB and needs to play

EJ is an emerging star and needs to be there also

Greenway will probably get the start.. I hope so atleast he is the best option

Greeny... EJ... Leber

Future:

Greeny.... EJ.... Blue

I really like that thought... Blue could be an amazing linebacker in the future with some work... However, he could be an amazing saftey with some work too. I see him a lot like Tank Williams, just younger and able to be molded into a new position. If we sign Tank to a long term deal then I think Blue will be made into a Linebacker!
Another thing I could really see happening in the future is Cedric Griffen becoming our new FS after Sharper retires, and Ray Edwards gaining some weight and playing DT with Kevin after Phat Pat retires... Edwards is a beast with tons of potential, he just lacked enthusiasm... hopefully we can get his head right, and i think we will all see the results!!!

Can't wait to see how all our picks pan out! But more importantly for now, EJ better be or Middle linebacker!!!

Jeremy
05-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Greenway......Thomas......Leber

Ddawg84
05-02-2006, 01:33 AM
I do agree though... EJ's cover skills are going to have to improve dramatically if he is going to survive as a middle linebacker in the cover 2 for the Vikings.

Hopefully we see what a difference a year makes, starting next football season. Plus maybe starting over in a new defensive system is just the fresh start that a guy like EJ needed...

ZDoy379
05-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Greenway/Henderson/Harris

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 02:47 AM
and how long has EJ been a project?

Thomas really has been impressive most of the time he played, i cant count the times i saw henderson miss the gap, tackle, unbelievable at times sucks at delay blitz, i would have no problem seeing him backup whomever. Thomas and Greenway for sure starting with either in the middle, keep EJ out of the middle. what happened to newman? were not keeping him? he really go hot at the end of the season.

mogwai
05-02-2006, 02:58 AM
the last thing we need is 2 rookies starting at linebacker.leber will start,greenway will have to win a spot,ej will start and don't be surprised if they get another backer after the june 1st cuts.maybe sooner

VikingsTw
05-02-2006, 03:09 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

Thomas really has been impressive most of the time he played, i cant count the times i saw henderson miss the gap, tackle, unbelievable at times sucks at delay blitz, i would have no problem seeing him backup whomever. Thomas and Greenway for sure starting with either in the middle, keep EJ out of the middle. what happened to newman? were not keeping him? he really go hot at the end of the season.

If Thomas is so great why didn't he start last year, EJ stole his job.

Where do you get this sh*t from. Thomas has been everthing but impressive, anytime he makes a play its from behind after his hesitation. Thomas really has me worried, i seen pretty much zero improvement from year one to another. EJ is different story and IMO he's underated by our fans, because of his first year starting, playing the whole year with a floppy knee, an injury most would not play with. EJ played solid football last year, really coming on at the end too, there where a couple games where he was vurtaly all over the field, side line to side line, making tackles behind the line of scrimage. Our BEST LB last year, most consistent. He also has great instincts, something Thomas lacks 100%, EJ has the ability to read a play and decide wether to play pass or run. He's showed improvement in pass coverage compared to his first year starting (which was god afull). Henderson has by far more batted passes then DT. Might i add we played alot of zone coverage last year, and we had alot of coverage sacks, EJ was doin his job.

All in all regardless of Thomas being faster on the track field, EJ should be our starting MLB, the only arguement here is wether EJ is gonna be a vocal leader or not. Time will tell.

damien927
05-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Greenway, EJ, Leber.

Blue is a very interesting prospect at OLB, but it will be a couple years before he would be able to play there.

Does anyone know if Blue would be able to add 10-15 lbs to his frame? He is a little light in the pants at 220, even for a cover 2 guy.

Zeus
05-02-2006, 03:14 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

All in all regardless of Thomas being faster on the track field, EJ should be our starting MLB, the only arguement here is wether EJ is gonna be a vocal leader or not. Time will tell.

Cowart was the leading tackler on the team last year - don't think you can say anyone was a better LB than him.

That said, EJ is a budding star. As I've said a couple of times, he needed 2 years to become a star at Maryland - now he's had his 2 years here and is ready to become a star in the middle here.

Will: Greenway
Mike: Henderson
Sam: Leber

=Z=

VikingsTw
05-02-2006, 03:15 AM
"damien927" wrote:

Greenway, EJ, Leber.

Blue is a very interesting prospect at OLB, but it will be a couple years before he would be able to play there.

Does anyone know if Blue would be able to add 10-15 lbs to his frame? He is a little light in the pants at 220, even for a cover 2 guy.

If blue could add 15 pounds to his frame he would be an animal, he's already a workout warrior type guy, spends alot of time in the weight room. I'm sure if he wanted to he could beef up, and probably not loose any of his speed but at the same time be strong enough to play a LB position, its an intristing idea.

VikingsTw
05-02-2006, 03:17 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Cowart was the leading tackler on the team last year - don't think you can say anyone was a better LB than him.

That said, EJ is a budding star. As I've said a couple of times, he needed 2 years to become a star at Maryland - now he's had his 2 years here and is ready to become a star in the middle here.

Will: Greenway
Mike: Henderson
Sam: Leber

=Z=

Sometimes tackles can be misleading, he did well, but as far as explosive plays, (tackles behind the line of scrimage, hard hits, causing fumbles, ect.) EJ takes the cake.

Zeus
05-02-2006, 03:22 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

Sometimes tackles can be misleading, he did well, but as far as explosive plays, (tackles behind the line of scrimage, hard hits, causing fumbles, ect.) EJ takes the cake.

Your Mike-backer is supposed to be a run-stuffing tackle machine. That Cowart led the team in tackles - and doesn't have the wheels that he used to have - says to me that he did the job leading that corps of LBs.

But I'm an EJ fan - don't mistake that!

=Z=

mogwai
05-02-2006, 03:24 AM
if ej can get the mental part of being the mikebacker we are set for 10 years in the middle..i think he will continue to mature as a player now that he should have some real coaching this year

damien927
05-02-2006, 03:26 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"damien927" wrote:

Greenway, EJ, Leber.

If blue could add 15 pounds to his frame he would be an animal, he's already a workout warrior type guy, spends alot of time in the weight room. I'm sure if he wanted to he could beef up, and probably not loose any of his speed but at the same time be strong enough to play a LB position, its an intristing idea.

From what I read, he is very smart and very aggressive. If he could get to a solid playing weight for LB, he may be a monster.

On http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/greg_blue.html it says that they thought he was going to go in the late second round. I like the sound of that.

damien927
05-02-2006, 03:28 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Your Mike-backer is supposed to be a run-stuffing tackle machine. That Cowart led the team in tackles - and doesn't have the wheels that he used to have - says to me that he did the job leading that corps of LBs.

But I'm an EJ fan - don't mistake that!

=Z=

In that cover 2 your Mike backer has to have coverage skills as he is in a middle zone quite often. Cowart was more of the runn stuffing guy, not what we needed now.

NodakPaul
05-02-2006, 03:36 AM
"VikesAllTheWay112642" wrote:

I think it should be:

This is how I see it playing out too. Both EJ and DT were misused under the previous coaches, so it is hard to tell who is better. Let them compete in training camp for the role, and the best athlete will land the job.

Zeus
05-02-2006, 03:39 AM
"damien927" wrote:

In that cover 2 your Mike backer has to have coverage skills as he is in a middle zone quite often. Cowart was more of the runn stuffing guy, not what we needed now.

Well, duh.

I brought up Cowart to say he was the best Vike LB in 2005. He's gone now, so the question becomes who's the Mike for 2006 - and I say EJ.

=Z=

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 03:43 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:
[quote]and how long has EJ been a project?

Where do you get this sh*t from. Thomas has been everthing but impressive, anytime he makes a play its from behind after his hesitation. Thomas really has me worried, i seen pretty much zero improvement from year one to another. EJ is different story and IMO he's underated by our fans, because of his first year starting, playing the whole year with a floppy knee, an injury most would not play with. EJ played solid football last year, really coming on at the end too, there where a couple games where he was vurtaly all over the field, side line to side line, making tackles behind the line of scrimage. Our BEST LB last year, most consistent. He also has great instincts, something Thomas lacks 100%, EJ has the ability to read a play and decide wether to play pass or run. He's showed improvement in pass coverage compared to his first year starting (which was god afull). Henderson has by far more batted passes then DT. Might i add we played alot of zone coverage last year, and we had alot of coverage sacks, EJ was doin his job.

i pull s*** out of eyes when i watch EJ. EJ has had 4 years of inconsistant play, if anything cowart kept things together last year like biekert kept things together before that, i reserve the right to be able to see what thomas can become as a fulltime LB. oh and we sucked on defense for the last couple seasons, maybe EJ was a contribution to that and maybe it was DT. DT is further along than EJ was at year 3. ofcourse with the right coaching both might start with greenway in the middle.

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 03:45 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I think it should be:

This is how I see it playing out too. Both EJ and DT were misused under the previous coaches, so it is hard to tell who is better. Let them compete in training camp for the role, and the best athlete will land the job.

i second that for sure

Zeus
05-02-2006, 03:48 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

i pull s*** out of eyes when i watch EJ. EJ has had 4 years of inconsistant play

Three years, not four.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395979

=Z=

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 03:52 AM
oh right, 3 for EJ and 2 for DT, my mistake.
don know much about leber as a linebacker though, he any good?

VikingsTw
05-02-2006, 03:54 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

i pull s*** out of eyes when i watch EJ. EJ has had 4 years of inconsistant play, if anything cowart kept things together last year like biekert kept things together before that, i reserve the right to be able to see what thomas can become as a fulltime LB. oh and we sucked on defense for the last couple seasons, maybe EJ was a contribution to that and maybe it was DT. DT is further along than EJ was at year 3. ofcourse with the right coaching both might start with greenway in the middle.

LOL! Whatch the film man.

EJ's only been in the league 3 years, he's 25 years old.

I also disagree about sucking on defense last year, defense won us several games and kept us in most all games. If we could run the ball, get some first downs and keep our defense a little more fresh, we will be top 10 or 15.

muchluv4smoot
05-02-2006, 03:56 AM
I like keeping EJ outside better. I would prefer to leave him at WILL, since he really started to come on strong there last year and looked for the first time in his NFL career, that he was just playing ball, like he did at Maryland. So if possible I would leave him there. By if possible, I mean if we can either have Leber at MIKE and Greenway at SAM, or Greenway at MIKE and Leber at SAM.

I think Leber would be a good fit inside, with his coverage skills and veteran leadership. I am thinking then EJ would probably have to move to SAM and let Greenway play WILL.

I still worry about EJ's ability to be the leader or QB of a D, that you need to be at MLB. That and I don't see him as a good fit coverage-wise, covering the deep middle of the field.

It's nice though, that all our LB's are so versatile. I think we finally have the coaches with the smarts to find the right positions for each of them.

PurplePridesSavior
05-02-2006, 03:58 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

I also disagree about sucking on defense last year, defense won us several games and kept us in most all games. If we could run the ball, get some first downs and keep our defense a little more fresh, we will be top 10 or 15.

I dunno about top 10 to 15. The talent is definitely there, but don't discount the fact we have a mostly veteran defense learning a whole new system. Remember the start of last year, the defense got torched the first weeks until all the new players learned the system and built chemistry with the old players. I think our defense will be good, I just don't expect it to hit its stride until mid season, which will hurt the overall rankings.

VikingsTw
05-02-2006, 04:01 AM
"PurplePridesSavior" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

I dunno about top 10 to 15. The talent is definitely there, but don't discount the fact we have a mostly veteran defense learning a whole new system. Remember the start of last year, the defense got torched the first weeks until all the new players learned the system and built chemistry with the old players. I think our defense will be good, I just don't expect it to hit its stride until mid season, which will hurt the overall rankings.

You must understand that Culpepper was turning the ball over 4 times a game, that means your defense is spending alot of time on the field. When BJ took over QB we stopped turning the ball over and through our winning span our defense was ranked #1 and #2 in the league, between us and the bears. You cannot expect your defense to play those kind of minutes on the field.

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
the start of the season showed no life signs of defense. defense was decent last year at the end, i agree, but how many points did baltimore score? the game brad johnson played his heart out cause he knew if they won they would be playing for a division title, and the defense could'nt hold up its end of the bargain. the fact remains the defense couldnt hold at the end because of sloppy LB play. i can only think it was cowart slowing down a bit almost identically to biekerts downfall before last season. this year WILL be different, will Leber lead the LB core as a veteran? i just dont know which one of our LB will be the leader they need.

Mr Anderson
2007 our defense will be #1 in the league.

Give our young LBs and DEs a little more time to develop, and let our veteran guys get a little hungrier for super bowl glory, all of our guys will mesh, plus they'll all know Tomlin's system by then, it will "..come together like butt cheeks"-Dave Chapelle.

PurplePridesSavior
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"PurplePridesSavior" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

"VikingsTw" wrote:

[quote="petrodemos"]and how long has EJ been a project?

You must understand that Culpepper was turning the ball over 4 times a game, that means your defense is spending alot of time on the field. When BJ took over QB we stopped turning the ball over and through our winning span our defense was ranked #1 and #2 in the league, between us and the bears. You cannot expect your defense to play those kind of minutes on the field.

Actually if you look at the time possession it was very similar between the Culpepper lead Vikings and the Brad Johnson lead Vikings. The offense either got a short field with Brad Johnson and scored quickly or had many 3 and out or quick drives. I expect that to change this year. Just the defense I believe it was on the field one-two minutes with Brad than Daunte so not a huge difference in time of possession.

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 04:26 AM
you cant blame a 14 deficit in 5 minutes on a 3 and out by the offense on the road. they always started slow, and by then half the games there were 14 point deficits. pretty silly to blame Cpep for losing games with his turnovers, most of them came when he was forced to throw downfield and no one was on the team to go downfield, Krob didnt play receiver, and burleson was hurt, Mrobinson couldnt catch. later in the year, defense came together and K rob gave the offense the short field.

but anyways who will lead our LB core this year them?
I hope Greenway will become that leader, hes a rookie, but crazier things have happened.

ItalianStallion
05-02-2006, 04:30 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

I like keeping EJ outside better. I would prefer to leave him at WILL, since he really started to come on strong there last year and looked for the first time in his NFL career, that he was just playing ball, like he did at Maryland. So if possible I would leave him there. By if possible, I mean if we can either have Leber at MIKE and Greenway at SAM, or Greenway at MIKE and Leber at SAM.

I think Leber would be a good fit inside, with his coverage skills and veteran leadership. I am thinking then EJ would probably have to move to SAM and let Greenway play WILL.

I still worry about EJ's ability to be the leader or QB of a D, that you need to be at MLB. That and I don't see him as a good fit coverage-wise, covering the deep middle of the field.

It's nice though, that all our LB's are so versatile. I think we finally have the coaches with the smarts to find the right positions for each of them.

I dunno, I don't like Greenway at MLB or SAM. He isn't that strong (upper body) and isn't that good at shedding blocks or being run at. He is much better at trailing the play and playing in coverage (on a TE or something).

Ddawg84
05-02-2006, 04:39 AM
"VikingsTw" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

If Thomas is so great why didn't he start last year, EJ stole his job.

Thanks the exact way i feel about it... could not have said it better myself!!! :wink:

Ddawg84
05-02-2006, 04:45 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I think it should be:

i second that for sure

EJ will win the job if it comes down to him and DT at MLB just like he did last year when he took his WLB job! Last year they said DT did not lose his job because he was playing bad, it was just because EJ was playing that good!

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-02-2006, 05:00 AM
"DaVizzles" wrote:

It Should be

That is a possibility!!! But i think they won't move him until he shows us that he can't play at his original position!!
I think it will be:

Greenway....EJ (unfortunately)....Leber/Thomas

Greenway will start, unless he completely tanks in training camp!!!
EJ will start since he is agile and knows the position, but i wish we would have got Thomas Howard or D'Qwell Jackson atleast those gus would give us options!! Leber will get the start since the only reason we got him is because the Chargers had the all star rookie Shawn Merriman and didn't need him anymore, he is a really good player and DT is too so i think they will have a big battle in Training camp or they will split time!!!

VikesfaninWis
05-02-2006, 05:10 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Greenway... EJ.... Leber..

Sounds good to me!

I second Vikez..

Formo
05-02-2006, 05:17 AM
This year, I think it will be Greeny, EJ/DT, Leber/DT.

EJ and Thomas will swap out incase of injuries/inconsistancy, and Leber and Thomas will swap out incase of injuries/stanima.

Down the road, Greenway will bulk up and take over the Mike position, much like Urlacher did. Have you guys heard him talk? VERY intellegent. And at LB, intellegence = quicker brain prosessing = quickness on the field = excellent player.

Warp
05-02-2006, 05:34 AM
I think itll be Greenway/Henderson/Leber
With alot of Thomas mixed in, i think them 4 will get alot of playtime, and we will see who becomes the clear cut starters.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
I Hate to be the AssHat, but what if Napo gets cut and T-Will rides the pine this year. I don't think T-will-ride the pine but I had to through that out there.

Damn you, Red McCombs!

For the sake of Randy Moss, I am going out on the limb and saying

Leber, Napo and Greenway.

Warp
05-02-2006, 05:46 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I Hate to be the AssHat, but what if Napo gets cut and T-Will rides the pine this year. I don't think T-will-ride the pine but I had to through that out there.

gol 'darnit you, Red McCombs!

Yeah thats a very good point. It wouldnt look to good if Napo wasnt the starter or even worse, was released. Would make the vikes look like even bigger idiots for trading moss.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:47 AM
"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Yeah thats a very good point. It wouldnt look to good if Napo wasnt the starter or even worse, was released. Would make the vikes look like even bigger idiots for trading moss.

Or it makes the new regime look smart for cutting their losses. Only one tied to this is Rob B.

cajunvike
05-02-2006, 05:49 AM
"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

If we end up winning a Super Bowl, all this won't even matter! :grin:

BadlandsVikings
05-02-2006, 05:51 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

If we end up winning a Super Bowl, all this won't even matter! grinWe also don't know anything until the team has actually played a game.

Warp
05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

True dat! Superbowl Makes all forgiven. Even TO would have been forgiven if the eagles would have won the superbowl against the pats, No matter how bad he destroyed the team last year.

PurplePridesSavior
05-02-2006, 05:56 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Yea superbowl is the ultimate prize. Moss, Culpepper, Chris Carter, Robert Smith all those guys were awesome. Our offenses with those guys were unmatched, but unless you believe Micheal Irivin offense doesn't win championships. We gave guys like that shot. Yea the Moss trade was sucky, but if u look at the way players with character issues are treated we got a reasonably fair deal. We just didn't pick a guy who gave us an immediate impact. I dunno how childress will do personally I really don't like the guy, but we got some good players and if we can teach them the cover 2, and ball control on offense this will be our best shot at the superbowl in awhile.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:58 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

That would cure what ails ya!

petrodemos
05-02-2006, 06:49 AM
is it me or have we not heard childress mention napoleon harris.
hes mentioned the candidates for MLB DT and EJ, and wasent that harris spot? im sure if he doesnt play theyre not going to cut for PR reasons, would be funny to see him on the practice squad though

jpfridge
05-05-2006, 01:03 AM
what about this:

greenway, donnie edwards, leber

we need a leader for the DEFENSE. donnie would be a great mentor for the young LBS we have.
first of June, we will start bidding for him.
EJ has so much potential, d thomas and nap harris i really thought would be better for us. we have so much potential in having a great STOPPING DEFENSE.

BBQ Platypus
05-05-2006, 01:06 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
If his past stints at MLB are any indication (frankly, he doesn't seem to have improved all that much), putting Henderson there would be a disaster. But we'll see about that during training camp.

Eyedea
05-05-2006, 01:37 AM
"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

or would it make up open to admit our mistakes? Last year, when napo was nearly cut, Tice and Rob B. said that they were not going to try to make trades/signings or anything look good, but do the best for the team

NodakPaul
05-05-2006, 02:07 AM
"Eyedea" wrote:

"Warp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

or would it make up open to admit our mistakes? Last year, when napo was nearly cut, Tice and Rob B. said that they were not going to try to make trades/signings or anything look good, but do the best for the team

Good call Eyedea. I would rather they put the best men for the job on the field than try to make last year's trade look good.

NodakPaul
05-05-2006, 02:11 AM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
If his past stints at MLB are any indication (frankly, he doesn't seem to have improved all that much), putting Henderson there would be a disaster. But we'll see about that during training camp.

I don't think his past stints at MLB are a good indication of future performance. Coaching abilitycan have a huge impact on how well a player performs, and frankly, the coaching staff, even with all their inexperience, are miles ahead of last year's in terms of coaching ability.

For the record, I like the thought of DT at Mike, but I am willing to give EJ a new look too.

CCthebest
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
It will be Greenyway EJ Leber
I think they might try to put Napo in middle if EJ sucks.

VikingsTw
05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Not trying to make crazy excuses for EJ, but fans got to understand what EJ was playing with his whole Sophmore year, aside from poor surroundings he had a floppy knee, don't know the specifics of the injury but Tice described it as "a injury most players would not play through". An injury like that can get to your head mentaly and your body physically.

I could be totaly wrong but i think EJ's more ready than any other player we got on the roster, excluding our other two starters. We'll see what happens, it'll be one of the best competitions in camp, i don't see anyone beating out EJ.

Vikingryche
05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I think Napoleon Harris will flourish in the cover 2 defense, He is a fast LB. Cmon was Ted Cottrells defense ever really that effective in Minny? NO..... I definitely could see Napo being one of the starters.
Go Vikes :cheers:

ancoin
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Next season: Greenway-EJ-Leber
in 2 maybe 3 years: Greenway-Blue-EJ

digital420
05-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I have to agree, Ej will start in the middle, but will move outside once Blue begins reaching his potential!!!

DiGiTaL

viking_40
05-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I must admit i'd love to see Blue in the mix, only seen that vid of him pile driving that guy and love the guy already!

DaunteHOF
05-05-2006, 03:38 PM
maybe he'll do better in the cover 2, this is his last chance this season though.

SharperVikings
05-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I think that we have a great set of linebackers for the cover 2! I dont think that ej will be the starter though...Even though most of the cover 2 linebackers spots are interchangeable...I still see him playing a different position...maybe weakside?

NodakPaul
05-05-2006, 04:11 PM
"SharperVikings" wrote:

I think that we have a great set of linebackers for the cover 2! I dont think that ej will be the starter though...Even though most of the cover 2 linebackers spots are interchangeable...I still see him playing a different position...maybe weakside?

Greenway will start at Willie. Childress has already penciled him in. Granted, anything can happed in training camp but I would be surprised to see EJ get the nod over Greenway.

SharperVikings
05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Maybe...

Here are my projected Linebacker Spots...

Weak Side
Greenway/EJ

Middle
Napo

Strong Side
Leber

Dontarius will be fill in when anyone needs a breather...!

Big C
05-05-2006, 05:00 PM
EJ will beat out Greenway for Weak side.
Harris will beat out DT for MLB.
Leber will play strong side because we're paying him so much money.

EJ is a much more aggressive LB than DT. I love him. But DT's coverage skills might be a little better because of the amount of time he's played at Nickel LB. DT is smart. That's pretty important for a MLB in Cover 2.

Harris is a wild card. I have always had my doubts about this guy, but I thought MLB was his natural position. I hope he flourishes with coaching and takes this job from DT.

skum
05-05-2006, 06:49 PM
We will all be a lot more clever at camp.. Im a 100% that Greenway will play the weakside and Leber the strongside.. Middle Linebacker is a wild card.. I could see Harris showing his potential in the middle.. But EJ could take it down also.. Thomas will be nothing more than a backup imo.