PDA

View Full Version : What O-lineman will not make the Viking's roster.

whackthepack
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
With all the O-lineman we currently have on the roster who will the Viking's cut, and who will they keep?

The Vikings will probably keep 9 O-lineman maybe 10. And probably 2 guys on development squad.

We currently have 16 guys on the roster, and a long snapper.

Guys that should be sure bets to make the team.

Steve Hutchinson
Bryant McKinnie
Matt Birk
Marcus Johnson
Artis Hicks
Ryan Cook (will be on roster or practice squad for sure)

Vets that will be on the bubble:

Chris Lewinski
Mike Rosenthal
Jason whittle
Mark Wilson
Anthony Herrera
Adam Goldberg
Sean Budin

Undrafted FA rookies

Donald Penn Utah State
Albert Stinson
Jason Palermo

Long Snapper
Cullen Loeffler

What guys do not make it:

My guess

Chris Lewinski
Mike Rosenthal
Mark Wilson
Donald Penn
Albert Stinson

Jason Palermo (practice squad possibility)

Zeus
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

With all the O-lineman we currently have on the roster who will the Viking's cut, and who will they keep?

Keep:
Starters:
McKinney
Hutchinson
Birk
Hicks
Johnson

Bench:
Goldberg
Cook
Rosenthal
Liwienski
Whittle
Long Snapper

=Z=

BadlandsVikings
05-01-2006, 04:36 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Keep
Starters
McKinney
Hutchinson
Birk
Hicks
Johnson

Bench
Goldberg
Cook
Rosenthal
Liwienski
Whittle
Long Snapper

=Z=I strongly agree with this list, they should be able to give Johnson some protection.

snowinapril
05-01-2006, 04:46 PM
74 McKinnie, Bryant OT 6-8 343 Miami (FL) Woodbury, NJ

Zeus
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Keep
Starters
McKinney
Hutchinson
Birk
Hicks
Johnson

Bench
Goldberg
Cook
Rosenthal
Liwienski
Whittle
Long Snapper

=Z=I strongly agree with this list, they should be able to give Johnson some protection.

That's why I have Rosenthal on the list. Even though he was an unmitigated disaster last year at times, he has been a solid RT in his past, which none of the others which I see as being gone can say.

=Z=

PurpleAndy
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I think that Mark Wilson, Anthony Herrera, Adam Goldberg, and Sean Budin will ultimately end up cut. Herrera and Goldberg have always been Tice pet projects, and will be replaced with Childress pet projects. Wilson and Budin are likely just training camp players.

audioghost
05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Chris Liwienski and Sean Bubin...

Maybe Rosenthal, if he doesn't perform up to his contract...he has a starters contract, if he doesn't start, he's done!

snowinapril
05-01-2006, 05:15 PM
From what we know now, I would say the guys in Bold start.
The guys in Red are gone.
63 Wilson, Mark T 6-6 318 California McArthur, CA
Whittle, Jason G 6-4 305 SW Missouri State Springfield, MO
75 Rosenthal, Mike T 6-7 315 Notre Dame Mishawaka, IN
74 McKinnie, Bryant OT 6-8 343 Miami (FL) Woodbury, NJ
72 Johnson, Marcus G 6-6 321 Mississippi Coffeeville, MS
76 Hutchinson, Steve G 6-5 313 Michigan Fort Lauderdale, FL
64 Herrera, Anthony G 6-2 315 Tennessee Naples, FL
73 Goldberg, Adam T 6-7 330 Wyoming Edina, MN
62 Cook, Ryan C 6-6 328 New Mexico
71 Bubin, Sean T 6-6 305 Illinois Houston, TX
78 Birk, Matt C 6-4 308 Harvard St. Paul, MN
77 Artis Hicks T 6-4 335 Memphis
67 Liwienski, Chris G 6-5 321 Indiana Sterling Heights, MI

46 Loeffler, Cullen LS 6-5 241 Texas Ingram, TX

"audioghost" wrote:

Chris Liwienski and Sean Bubin...

Maybe Rosenthal, if he doesn't perform up to his contract...he has a starters contract, if he doesn't start, he's done!

I feel the same way Audio, I think he could be made an example of, because of money, and his years in the biz, and the expectations of him maturing and getting better, not getting worse or staying the same. Rosie has a lot to prove.

I think he did sign a friendly contract, I could be mistaken, but I just feel he is on the bubble more than most. I also feel that Tice's guys (back ups) have two stikes against them.

snowinapril
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
In addition, the Vikings essentially swapped fourth-round picks with the Philadelphia Eagles and gave up a sixth-round pick for guard Artis Hicks, who has started 31 of the 38 games he has played in the NFL.

I didn't know that, I thought he was filling in for injured players, this makes it sound like he was a legitimate starter his whole career.

OFFENSIVE LINE (set)

The Vikings have two Pro Bowl linemen in Matt Birk and Steve Hutchinson, and Bryant McKinnie is on the cusp of winning that distinction. Several players with starting experience will push Hicks for the right-guard spot. Birk, McKinnie, Hutchinson, Marcus Johnson and Cook appear locks to make the roster, leaving three spots for youngsters and veterans such as Hicks, Chris Liwienski, Jason Whittle, Anthony Herrera and Mike Rosenthal.

"I've said this all the way along: competition makes good football teams," Childress said.

My question is what is Marcus Johnson's role on this team.

If it is McKinnie --- Hutch --- Birk --- Hicks --- ???Johnson???Rosie???Cook???

Has Marcus improved his foot speed to try and compete for the starting RT spot?

I really like Childress' comment on the competition. Like I said previously, there wasn't enough of that the last few years, guys get complacent when things are handed to them.

whackthepack
05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
2004 (3rd year) 14 games played 13 starts
2005 (4th year) 14 games played 14 starts

DiehardVikesFan
05-02-2006, 01:17 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

The Vikings will probably keep 9 O-lineman maybe 10. And probably 2 guys on development squad.

They will keep at least 10 to be two deep at each spot. My guess would be to keep these 11 on the team.
Mckinnie
Hutch
Birk
Hicks
Johnson
Cook
Goldberg
Herrera
Liwienski
Rosenthal
Whittle

umaguma1979
05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Goldberg & Liwenski - it seems Childress is intent of cutting away all old-regime players by the part of year 2.