PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway disses Packer fans (Article)

KWilliamsAWinfield
05-01-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/402583.html

MOUNT VERNON, S.D— The newest Minnesota Viking thanked residents in his hometown for helping him reach the NFL Saturday before heading off to the Twin Cities.

Chad Greenway, the Iowa linebacker picked by the Vikings with the 17th selection, watched the draft on ESPN at the family farm in Mount Vernon. After receiving the good news, he headed into town to share it with some of Mount Vernon's 470 residents.

"This doesn't happen to every small town in the world, but it happened to us,' Greenway told the crowd gathered at the Mount Vernon High School gym. "I want to thank all of you for being behind me the whole way.'

Greenway also took a lighthearted jab at the town's Green Bay fans.

"I know we got some Packer fans around here,' Greenway said, "but you're going to have to switch over. To be honest with you, you're all going to have to get rid of that Packer crap.'

Many residents packed Wermers' Lounge and Steakhouse on Main Street to watch the draft on the bar's big-screen television.

"Chad was good at whatever he did,' said Adam Hanson, one of Greenway's high school teammates. "Any of us could vouch for that. I think we're really happy for him because we know he worked for whatever he got. It's not like he had this all given to him. I guess I'm officially a Vikings fan now — I never was one before.'

Alan Greenway, Chad's father, said he's glad his son will be playing within driving distance.

"Chad wanted to go to a team in the Midwest because he's a Midwest kind of guy,' Alan Greenway said. "It's been a very rewarding experience for us and for the town.'

Greenway had been projected to go somewhere between No. 11 and No. 28, and he said Saturday that the final hours before he was picked were a bit stressful.

"I didn't get nervous until they got to the ninth or tenth pick,' Greenway said. "Then things got a little edgy. For the most part, I just relaxed, but when it got to crunch time ... the last six picks were taking forever.'

Cell phone service can be spotty in Mount Vernon, and Greenway said the Vikings' first call didn't go through.

"I tried to answer it, but we don't have any cell towers out here,' Greenway said. "I saw that it was a Minnesota area code, though, so I knew it had a chance of being the call.'

A few moments later, the home phone rang right and Greenway gave his family a thumbs up.

It makes me think that Chad grew up as a Vikings fan, I love him already, dissing the Packers, can't wait to see Chad against the Packers :grin:

PurpleRide
05-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Cool, I like the guy so far.

Mr. Purple
05-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Thats my boy! Hes gonna be a huge impact on this team ...THIS year!

ultravikingfan
05-01-2006, 01:30 AM
"I know we got some Packer fans around here,' Greenway said, "but you're going to have to switch over. To be honest with you, you're all going to have to get rid of that Packer crap.'

I like him already!!!

SharperVikings
05-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah!! Get rid of that packer sh!t

PurplePeopleEaters
05-01-2006, 01:31 AM
I love this guy. I think he will do extremely well on the team. Great pick for the vikes.

mnguyinames
05-01-2006, 01:39 AM
even though i hate the hawkeyes, I love this pick. now i can root for him to kick ass in purple. any time anyone disses on the cheese, i'll support em.

Purple Floyd
05-01-2006, 01:39 AM
This pick I like alot already

SharperVikings
05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
I really like this pick! I love his attitude! I listened to his press conference at Winter Park on www.vikings.com, and he just sounds so intelligent. I think he was the type of linebacker that we needed to draft! He will do well in this defense, and I can't wait to see him play! :lol:

coloradovikings
05-01-2006, 02:08 AM
great comments by the rookie! He hates the packers like all of us. I would love to see him get a couple good shots in at Farve..

Retire already Brett!

TheKnuck
05-01-2006, 02:27 AM
gotta respect him celebrating in his hometown and in front of his community. class act all the way!!!!

WBLVikeBabe
05-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Sweet, he will win all Vikings fans over with those comments!!

twill
05-01-2006, 02:56 AM
i like this pick alot.. truthfully most of our picks are big question marks. i just hope these guys can develop into good players.. I just hope these guys can adjust to the NFL level.. I really want to see how greenway does in the NFL. Hopefully he is Pro-Bowl/Raises our defense type of player.

FedjeViking
05-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Nice attitude! I just hope he keeps it. Seems a lot of players start out talking good, then change. I hope Childress stops that. :wink:

shawn9876uss
05-01-2006, 02:59 AM
I am getting more and more excited that we drafted him, he is an animal, and he hates the packers, so he will fit right in

MightyVikes12391
05-01-2006, 03:10 AM
greenway is the mann :cool:

SharperVikings
05-01-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, this guy is going to be good for us...Now that he is with us, I'm glad its him and not sims!

VintagePurple
05-01-2006, 03:22 AM
I can definitely say he passed the true test of being a Vike!

Someone make a sig of him? or Greg Blue.

DaunteHOF
05-01-2006, 04:07 AM
HAHA, I like tha dude already. Im not a midwest type of dude but good he feels comfortable where hes at.

BadlandsVikings
05-01-2006, 04:20 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I like him already!!!

He seems very smart. :grin:

Formo
05-01-2006, 06:46 AM
I love this guy..

I'm praying that he's the next Urlacher. Badly.

Warp
05-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Hes gonna be a perfect fit for us, and he already hates the pack and thats a plus :lol: .

vikesoto
05-01-2006, 06:57 AM
24 hours as a Viking and I already like him....

Packers suck !!

http://www.vikings.com/DAM_public/7676.jpg

WinonaVike
05-01-2006, 07:17 AM
IM gonna go on the line and predict Greenway has more tackles than Hawk....We can only hope but it is a possibility.

SKOL
05-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Just a point of interest; One of the sports talk shows in the Twin Cities Sunday night had a couple of Vikings beat writers on. One of them said that he heard that if given a choice between Cutler and Greenway at #17, the Vikes would have chosen Greenway. They even contemplated trading up to make sure they got him.

During an interview Greenway also said that he's a fan of the Vikings.

Overlord
05-01-2006, 07:41 AM
"WinonaVike" wrote:

IM gonna go on the line and predict Greenway has more tackles than Hawk....We can only hope but it is a possibility.

I hope you're right. I don't think there's much chance he'll be better than Hawk, but he may have a chance to get better numbers this year because he's playing behind a better D-line.

Sounds like a bright kid too. That can work well with fans - look at Matt Birk. That guy is a good player, but he's a huge hit here in part because he's a good interview.

Looking forward to seeing Greenway deliver the pain to those Packer fools next fall.

PurpleMafia
05-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Check out the new sig guys.

He is really my type of player.

Defensive ROY?

spunk_goblin
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
What a guy!! I love him already

snowinapril
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I think it was fate, my brother ran into him in the CinCinAtti airport and he had just interviewed with the Bengals and said that he was on his way to Tenn and MN.

MN............Yes!

cajunvike
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Just as long as he doesn't pull a "Hovan"...talk alot of crap and NOT back it up!!!

VikesFan4Life
05-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I love this guy already. I'm sure he'll make an impact this year, even if he can't crack the starting lineup.

I'd be happy if he just makes it as a starting Nickel Linebacker this year, but there's no reason why he can't be the starter at WLB.

Now, I normallly don't get Rookie jerseys, but I just might have to get Greenway's.

snowinapril
05-01-2006, 07:52 PM

Many residents packed Wermers' Lounge and Steakhouse on Main Street to watch the draft on the bar's big-screen television.

"Chad was good at whatever he did,' said Adam Hanson, one of Greenway's high school teammates. "Any of us could vouch for that. I think we're really happy for him because we know he worked for whatever he got. It's not like he had this all given to him. I guess I'm officially a Vikings fan now — I never was one before.'

Alan Greenway, Chad's father, said he's glad his son will be playing within driving distance.

"Chad wanted to go to a team in the Midwest because he's a Midwest kind of guy,' Alan Greenway said. "It's been a very rewarding experience for us and for the town.'

Yes!!

VKG4LFE
05-01-2006, 07:56 PM
That's a good way to get the fans on your side right away, by dissing your hometown peeps and telling them to get rid of the packer "crap!!"

Mule
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM
My kind Vike !