PDA

View Full Version : Onterio Smith update.

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Ex-Vikings rusher next Blue whiz kid?
Winnipeg Free Press

Fri Apr 28 2006

By Ed Tait

TALENTED but troubled ex-NFL running back Onterrio Smith, dumped this week by the Minnesota Vikings, is looking for a new football home.
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers might be willing to oblige. CFL sources confirmed last night the Bombers placed Smith on their negotiation list within hours of his release by the Vikings.

"According to his agent, (Smith) wants to play in the CFL this year," said a rival CFL executive.

Smith, 25, still has six weeks left on his one-year suspension for violating the NFL's drug policy, but the CFL has often been a haven for bad boys seeking to clean up their act. Just this week, Toronto put Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams on their negotiation list after he was deemed ineligible to play in the NFL this season.

A former fourth-round NFL draft pick in '03, Smith became the Vikes' starting tailback late in his rookie season. Despite serving a four-game suspension a year later, he still managed to lead Minnesota in rushing.

He was the leading candidate to be the Vikings' feature back last year before an infamous incident in which he was caught at the Minneapolis airport with The Original Whizzinator, a device that includes a fake penis and is designed to beat drug tests. Smith claimed the kit was for his cousin and wasn't charged by police, but a month later he received his third suspension for substance abuse.

NEW BLUE BLOOD: The Bombers announced the addition of two prospects yesterday they hope will push for work this season.

Linebacker Donny Green (6-foot-2, 240, Virginia) had NFL stints with Washington, Jacksonville and San Diego and was in Atlanta's camp last year.

Wide receiver Quentin McCord (5-foot-10, 190, Kentucky) finished his college career with 112 catches for 1,743 yards and 15 touchdowns in 39 games before being a seventh-round pick of the Falcons in 2001. He was most recently in the camp of the Arena Football League's Georgia Force.

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

what this basically means is that the bombers have claimed his negotiation rights, which means the bombers have the exclusive chance to negotiate a contract with him. IMO winnipeg already has the best RB in the league and the best backfield in the league, but with smith it would only get better. i wouldn't be too suprised if he doesn't get picked up by another NFL team, and the AFL isn't a rushers league. CFL=bigger field which means more laateral space to play with. i hope he lands in winnipeg

boognish
04-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Hard to believe he's fallen that far from grace. It seems as though the League extended his suspension for some reason; who knows for how long. I assumed some NFL team would pick him up for cheap and plug him in, but I guess not, which leads me to believe that his suspension may be indefinite.

Relegated to the CFL, how embarrassing!! :oops:

Slade
04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
GO Canada!! I heard Ricky Williams might go to the CFL too

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
ricky williams is still a member of the dolphins he's just suspended, so legally he can't sign in the CFL. it was just a PR move for the team who added him to their neg list.

Lando
04-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Sorry, but the Bummers do NOT have the best backfield or RB in the league.

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 04:25 AM
last time i checked Charles roberts is by FAR the best RB in the league and despite the bombers not having the best FB, they have a really good FB, which makes them have the best backfield by far, no compition. tell me who is better then the bombers?

olson_10
04-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Roberts is already the best, but Smith will be much better and will surely take his place as RB in our offense

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 04:36 AM
they'd probably run a dual back system, with roberts occasionally lining up at SB kinda like stokes last year, but still getting carries.

ItalianStallion
04-29-2006, 04:37 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

last time i checked Charles roberts is by FAR the best RB in the league and despite the bombers not having the best FB, they have a really good FB, which makes them have the best backfield by far, no compition. tell me who is better then the bombers?

Are you serious? Roberts is good, but Joffrey Reynolds is a much more balanced back. Roberts has no power game. The only reason Roberts puts up stats is because he is the only good player on the Winnipeg Offense.

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 04:40 AM
despite his size roberts does have a decent power game. he can drag defencive lineman down field, which is mindboggling considering charlie weights maybe 160 and the d-line probably weighs 280+.

ps, winnipeg has a very good offence, Glenn put up superb numbers if you look at the team he was playing on, 2/3 top TD scorers were bombers, and the o-line had the 2nd or 3rd fewest sacks in the league. i call that a real good offence.

ItalianStallion
04-29-2006, 04:48 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

despite his size roberts does have a decent power game. he can drag defencive lineman down field, which is mindboggling considering charlie weights maybe 160 and the d-line probably weighs 280+.

ps, winnipeg has a very good offence, Glenn put up superb numbers if you look at the team he was playing on, 2/3 top TD scorers were bombers, and the o-line had the 2nd or 3rd fewest sacks in the league. i call that a real good offence.

I call them the team with the weakest quaterbacks in the league, which in the CFL, is almost all that matters. At least now you don't have to compete with Ottawa for worst team in the league :razz:

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Kevin Glenn worst QB in the League? HA. his stats say he's one of the elite Qb's

Lando
04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
You sir, are looking through blue tinted glasses! At least you have confidence in your team, I'll be shocked if they don't finish the season with the worst record in the CFL.

PurpleRide
04-29-2006, 05:38 PM
O smith and his new friend

PurpleRide
04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Towelie

RK.
04-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Does the CFL have the same kind of drug testing policies as the NFL??

VikesfaninWis
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Hope everything works out for him if he does play for the CFL next season.

Vike_Turner
04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
BLUE BOMBERS = GREY CUP CHAMPS!!!!! Believe it!

YogidAbEAR
04-29-2006, 08:39 PM
"RK." wrote:

Does the CFL have the same kind of drug testing policies as the NFL??

i have no idea. but a couple teams have taken in other NFL potheads and drunks and they've turned them around

YogidAbEAR
04-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Blue sure know how to spell Onterrio

Sat Apr 29 2006

By Ed Tait

IMAGINE a Winnipeg Blue Bombers backfield featuring Charles Roberts and Onterrio Smith lining up side by side...
General manager Brendan Taman can, and the thought gives him the warm and fuzzies all over. That's why the Bombers were quick to slap Smith on their negotiation list on Wednesday, just hours after the former University of Oregon star had been released by the Minnesota Vikings.

A gifted tailback who has been suspended by the NFL three times for violating their substance-abuse policy, Smith is not eligible to play down south until October. As a result, his agent has already spoken to the Bombers, with a further discussion planned for next week after the NFL draft.

Because Smith has not been charged for his indiscretions, the Bombers would be willing to give him a chance to get on the straight and narrow and revive his career.

"This is not propaganda. This is not B.S. There is legitimate interest for sure," Taman said yesterday. "He doesn't want to sit out and miss a whole year, so he's looking north. We had exploratory talks, but he's intrigued by our team and our league.

"We know he's not a saint, but he's ready to turn the page, get on with his life and play football again. He's extremely talented, and to have two extremely talented guys in the field..." New Bomber head coach Doug Berry has stressed he plans to run a five-receiver, one-running back set, but adding Smith would give the offence a whole new dimension. Not only did Smith lead the Vikings in rushing in 2004, he's also a gifted receiver and return man.

"I'm not trying to create a controversy; I'm just trying to better our football team as best I can," Taman said.

"Obviously, Charles is our guy, but this is an intriguing player to add to our options. Some people might view it like we're muddying the picture and why even bother with it? Well, I wouldn't bother unless it was Onterrio Smith. He's an NFL back. That's a no-brainer.

"It's a good question on how we would make it work, but when you can add a talented guy like that -- and I mean talented, because this guy is special -- maybe you put him on the field at the same time. Or maybe they're on the field in different situations. Maybe it comes back to the (Mike) Sellers era, when we had them both on the field at the same time and defences didn't know who was going to get the ball."

BLUE ADD TWO, DUMP TWO: The Bombers added a pair of Canadians yesterday while releasing import offensive lineman John Feugill and homegrown centre Corey Annett.

DL/LB Adrian Baird (6-foot-4, 250, Ottawa) spent last year on the Renegades' practice roster, and Ryan Bisson (6-foot-4, 313, Northwood) was the Bombers' sixth-round draft pick in 2005. Both are expected to push for roster spots this year.

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca
[hr]

it's also been reproted that onterrio has been offered a 2 year $150 000 dollar anum contract by a so-called cflinsider, i'll fill you in some more tommorow

sleepagent
04-30-2006, 02:25 PM
"boognish" wrote:

Hard to believe he's fallen that far from grace. It seems as though the League extended his suspension for some reason; who knows for how long. I assumed some NFL team would pick him up for cheap and plug him in, but I guess not, which leads me to believe that his suspension may be indefinite.

Relegated to the CFL, how embarrassing!! :oops:

He deserves everything he's getting. If you're stupid enough to use drugs, and throw away a promising career, then you deserve everything you get.

Adios loser.

Prophet
05-09-2006, 04:09 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Smith expected to sign with CFL team this week
Tue, 9 May 2006 06:26:38 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports former Minnesota Vikings RB Onterrio Smith is expected to sign a contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this week. The Blue Bombers hold Smith's Canadian Football League rights. The league's season begins June 2. "(It's) looking positive he could sign by the end of the week," Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman said of Smith.

CFL | Blue Bombers have nothing finalized with O. Smith
Tue, 9 May 2006 13:27:16 -0700

Ed Tait, of the Winnipeg Free Press, reports the Edmonton Blue Bombers of the CFL have yet to finalize a deal with free agent RB Onterrio Smith (Vikings) of the Minnesota Vikings. The pursuit of Smith has been slowed recently by the Bombers' investigation of his troubles and gauging his interest in playing in Canada. "We need to mesh a lot more than we have for us to be close. But if it's not Onterrio Smith, there's two other backs on our negotiations list, and I'm going to sign at least one of them. I have to," Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman said.