PDA

View Full Version : ***OFFICIAL O. Smith is released***

KWILL93
04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Bye, Bye SOD

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/26/bc.fbn.vikings.smith.ap/index.html

whackthepack
04-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Good luck Onterrio I really hope you get your sh*t together!

PurplePride80
04-27-2006, 12:26 AM
D@mn that sucks :cry: , in my opinion, he was our best running back.

But I understand their trying to clean up the team, so I guess this was the right decision.

LuckyVike
04-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Good! Lets dump some of that backfield.

WBLVikeBabe
04-27-2006, 12:30 AM
That's too bad, I was hoping he might come back but wasn't quite sure how that would all turn out. Good luck O!

V4L
04-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Im impressed with the move.. He needed to move on

PhxFan
04-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Hate to see that...just dayam http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/sad2.gif

Foreman44
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
[quote="PurplePride80"]D@mn that sucks :cry: , in my opinion, he was our best running back.

Mine too :evil:
If he gets the chance to play this year, I think he'll do very well.

Focus now: DeAngelo Williams!

viks_fan21
04-27-2006, 12:43 AM
I always liked him AS A PLAYER. But, one thing is for sure, there is a reason he was released. He wasn't overpaid, so it was either his attitude, the shape he was in, or it was evident that he hasn't changed his ways.

farvathevikinglover
04-27-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm kind of glad he's gone, if he had failed another drug test I would have been absolutely pissed! I lost all faith in him last year, he screwed us over. We need to move on anyways. We got Moore who did good in his rookie year (although he got hurt last year) and Fason, who did farely well last year. We could get someone in the draft to (but I only want DeAngelo if Sims and Greenway are gone.

shawn9876uss
04-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Great back, but way too many problems, I wish him the best though

Foreman44
04-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Moss, Culpepper, Burleson, and now O Smith
THAT is a LOT of OFFENSE to lose in 1 year!

FuadFan
04-27-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm glad we got rid of this useless piece of crap the NFL doesn't want to bring him back so why should we?

Slade
04-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Goodbye & good luck, SOD

Formo
04-27-2006, 12:58 AM
There isn't one of us can say Mr. Whizzinator was a great back. He did NOTHING to show ANY of us that. NOTHING. He had ONE good year, and it wasn't even GOOD.

Case in point, he makes retarded decisions.. Go cheat a piss test and smoke another bowl, pothead.

Personally, I'm glad to see him go. Waste of roster space and money.. And another headache now gone.

Captain Whizzinator is a potential back at best, NOT a 'great back' as some think.

Zigi should've traded him to Miami with C-Pep for an extra 7th round pick as well as the 2nd rounder.

Steal of the Draft... HA! I bet he's eatin' crow..

Euphman06
04-27-2006, 01:01 AM
But his average per rush is 4.9 yards....

VikesfaninWis
04-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Good luck Whiz Kid.. I really hope he finds a team, and does well. Just as long as it is not a team in our division. I think the Cheese will give a serious look at him.

Slade
04-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I saw moments of great ability in him. I liked it when he carried the ball for us. Too bad

Prophet
04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Team issues statement about O. Smith
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:41:07 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Minnesota Vikings issued the following statement about the release of RB Onterrio Smith Wednesday, April 26: "We've decided to terminate Onterrio Smith's contract ahead of this weekend's college draft," head coach Brad Childress said in the statement. "We wish him well in his future endeavors." NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Smith's one-year suspension doesn't expire until June 7.

Formo
04-27-2006, 01:06 AM
"Slade" wrote:

I saw moments of great ability in him.

Yes, we all did. But consistantly? Anyone??

"Slade" wrote:

I liked it when he carried the ball for us.

I did too, actually.. before his second time gettin' busted.

sirweeze
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Enjoy the arena league, Onterrio.

Muggsy
04-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Well, now he can smoke all he wants now, y'know?

I hopes he gets his act tagedda. He's da posta boy for how ta whizz away a career by screwin' around wit' drugs, y'know?

Good luck to ya, Smith.

Now, lets' draft DeAngelo, an' hope he don't got no ganja monkey on his back too, y'know?

BadlandsVikings
04-27-2006, 04:34 AM
Now he and Ricky Williams can enjoy 2006 studying holistic medicine together.

Perch56
04-27-2006, 04:46 AM
wow i didnt see that coming,i think we should draft a running back now, what to u guys think?

Ltrey33
04-27-2006, 04:50 AM
"Perch56" wrote:

wow i didnt see that coming,i think we should draft a running back now, what to u guys think?

I didn't see it coming either, but I think we should draft a guy too. I don't think we should draft a guy like DeAngelo Williams or Maroney, because that would take our 1st round pick. I think that Chester and MeMo will be just fine as the primary running backs, but I think it might behoove us to go after a guy in the 3-5 rounds as an insurance policy. (And no, I'm not forgetting about Ciatrick, but Childress hasn't said ANYTHING about him, so I'm not sure where he'll fit)

slinkey
04-27-2006, 04:54 AM
he was useless to us! MOVE ON! what an embarrasment. He will always be a punchline and part of that image is as a minnesota viking.

seaniemck7
04-27-2006, 04:56 AM
There are reports that the NFL will not be reinstating him. Why should we keep a guy that is suspended for who knows how long ?

ChiTownVike
04-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Cya later, I wish you woulda got your sh*t together

Json
04-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Onterrio had to go. He's worthless at this point. Look at Ricky W. He's now making the Dolphins regret giving him yet another shot and the Vikings do not want to be in that spot. It's all about building a team that has players that can play and are stand up guys. C-ya Onterio I wish you the best but I'm glad it's not going to be with the VIkings.

KWILL93
04-27-2006, 05:23 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Perch56" wrote:

I didn't see it coming either, but I think we should draft a guy too. I don't think we should draft a guy like DeAngelo Williams or Maroney, because that would take our 1st round pick. I think that Chester and MeMo will be just fine as the primary running backs, but I think it might behoove us to go after a guy in the 3-5 rounds as an insurance policy. (And no, I'm not forgetting about Ciatrick, but Childress hasn't said ANYTHING about him, so I'm not sure where he'll fit)

I honestly think we will be fine at RB depth Taylor, Moore, Fason would they carry 4 RB the most I can see them having is 6 total with another FB to go with Richardson

singersp
04-27-2006, 05:44 AM
:scratch: Why do people tyoe the word "OFFICIAL" in the front of their threads?

Do they really believe theirs will be the only one out there or that's the only one that people will post it in? :grin:

Texas_Viking
04-27-2006, 05:52 AM
"Json" wrote:

Onterrio had to go. He's worthless at this point. Look at Ricky W. He's now making the Dolphins regret giving him yet another shot and the Vikings do not want to be in that spot. It's all about building a team that has players that can play and are stand up guys. C-ya Onterio I wish you the best but I'm glad it's not going to be with the VIkings.

couldn't agree more!

SKOL
04-27-2006, 06:21 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Perch56" wrote:

The timing of this may be a smoke screen too, making teams below us that need a running back think they need to trade in front of us, which could leave us the guy the TOA wants, Sims, Cutler, or whomever. Just a thought.

jargomcfargo
04-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Listen, he was fine. He played well and definately showed a lot of potential.
I'm saddened by his release.
But reading between the lines tells me he failed another drug test.
Drug test results are confidential. But failing a drug test is the only reason the NFL said it would not reinstate him.
The Vikings were left with no choice but to release him.
I don't think he was released because the new owners are trying to become the number one saintly team.
I think Childress and staff are disappointed he isn't coming back.
It's too bad Onterio couldn't figure it out a little earlier.
He's going to likely have some long term regrets once he does.
Maybe he will figure it out and have a successful comeback next year.
I hope so for his family's sake.

vikesoto
04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
What a waste......

That's all there is to it...

TheKnuck
04-27-2006, 08:02 AM
i hope the tandem we have now pulls through for us. i think smith has alot to offer still. i'll be watching him tear it up elsewhere and i'll be cursing the front office. good luck to him if he can clean his act up. lets call him ricky jr.

vikesoto
04-27-2006, 08:09 AM
With the 17th pick of the 2006 NFL Draft , the Minnesota Vikings select...

Laurence Maroney , RB, University of Minnesota

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x8vX1BEuagAmg2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12l659bjk/EXP=1146204335/**http%3a//www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news97/7goph0101.l.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xdNX1BE0pcA4TajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13v5kie3c/EXP=1146204365/**http%3a//www.gophersports.com/PhotoArchive/2003-2004/mfball_PennState/images/Maroney%2520Laurence%2520559.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xZfX1BEujMBI3CjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13t2lhjbp/EXP=1146204383/**http%3a//www.gophersports.com/PhotoArchive/2003-2004/mfball_Indiana/images/Maroney%2520Laurence%2520169.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6DX1BEZ0QAHUijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=13pbc6og8/EXP=1146204419/**http%3a//www.gophersports.com/PhotoArchive/2004-2005/mfball_Csu/images/Maroney%2520Laurence%2520412.jpg

NordicNed
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I was really wanting to see OS come back and start anew.....But that seems to be a lost dream now. I hope he still straightens his life out and does well somewhere else. This may be a sign we go with a RB in the draft with one of our earlier picks....My original pick was DW, maybe he will be around when our number comes up.....I'de be happy with that....But I still think we need to really look at LB, QB, RB, in that order now....

JellyBean2144
04-27-2006, 01:56 PM
who do we have for a running back

singersp
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
"JellyBean2144" wrote:

who do we have for a running back

Taylor, Memo, Fason, Echemandu

COJOMAY
04-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I really don't think the Vikes will draft Laurence Maroney , RB, University of Minnesota with the 17th pick but I'll tell you this, it would be a great public relations draft for the team and would give us a pretty good RB. U of M Fans love Maroney!

Del Rio
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Do they really believe theirs will be the only one out there or that's the only one that people will post it in? :grin:

I don't know. I know Ultra has said many times not to do it. That the only OFFICIAL threads should be started by the site.

I'm guessing this particular instance is more of an "It's official, O. Smith is released" rather then a "This is the official O. Smith released thread"

V4L
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
I've typed official in a few times..

I think it's so they know this is the only one that needs to be there.. And all O-Smith info should be put here

Or maybe he meant that it was official that he is not on the team anymore

Zeus
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
"vikesoto" wrote:

God I hope not.

=Z=

singersp
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I don't know. I know Ultra has said many times not to do it. That the only OFFICIAL threads should be started by the site.

I'm guessing this particular instance is more of an "It's official, O. Smith is released" rather then a "This is the official O. Smith released thread"

I got that impression myself, it just triggered a question I've been meaning to ask.

singersp
04-27-2006, 02:48 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I've typed official in a few times..

I think it's so they know this is the only one that needs to be there.. And all O-Smith info should be put here

Or maybe he meant that it was official that he is not on the team anymore

If there's a thread already started on a subject/article, it's the only one people should be posting in.

There's no need to add the word official, or all our threads would begin with it. :wink:

ChezPizmo
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"vikesoto" wrote:

God I hope not.

=Z=

Why not?

badbois
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Hes probably fat by now anyways.

VKG4LFE
04-27-2006, 03:56 PM
It's really too bad because I think he could have really been a good football player over a long career! Good luck SOD!!!

VikesfaninWis
04-27-2006, 04:22 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Perch56" wrote:

I agree with you 100%.. Taylor, and Moore will be just fine as our premier backs.. As far as Fason goes, I think he will assume the roll of Moe Williams and be the 3rd down and tough yardage back that will be available with the departure of Williams..

cajunvike
04-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Now the way is cleared to draft DeAngelo!!!! :grin:

DCPologirl
04-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I am very very disappointed.....

Del Rio
04-27-2006, 05:34 PM
http://thesideliner.com/Images/thumbs/whizzinator.jpg

Bye bye wiz

VikesfaninWis
04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

You just are not liking anything the Vikes are doing these days are you? :lol:

JDogg926
04-27-2006, 05:51 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Perch56" wrote:

I agree with you 100%.. Taylor, and Moore will be just fine as our premier backs.. As far as Fason goes, I think he will assume the roll of Moe Williams and be the 3rd down and tough yardage back that will be available with the departure of Williams..

Exactly, we shouldn't even think about a running back until rounds 3-5, unless someone like Maroney or Lendale White is available for our 2nd round pick, which isn't gonna happen.

Although, I don't think Fason's a goal line back he's only like 205 and I think he's 6 feet. Isn't Taylor like 5'11" 220???

tarkenton10
04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Let that P. O. S. (not SOD) rot in hell. Playing in the NFL is like winning a lottery. That idiot wasted a chance of a lifetime that anyone on here would have jumped at the chance and would have been very appreciative to have had the privilege. I just hope that dirtbag works really hard for a living for the rest of his life!!!!

DCPologirl
04-27-2006, 06:01 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

You just are not liking anything the Vikes are doing these days are you? :lol:

Well there has been so much change these past two years I just don't know what to think :mad: People keep asking me if we're gonna be good this year and honestly? I have no clue! And I hate that they are changing the unis'I mean don't mess with tradition. Onterrio was very very talented...I am disappointed that he won't be a Viking anymore....not devastated like I was with Daunte.

ThaSuperFreak33
04-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Too Bad he was a good player but his off field incidents caught up with him

singersp
04-28-2006, 01:34 AM
I think the biggest factor in Wilf deciding not to bring Smith back is because it would jepardize his chances of getting a new stadium.

PurpleRide
04-28-2006, 01:56 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I think the biggest factor in Wilf deciding not to bring Smith back is because it would jepardize his chances of getting a new stadium.

:banghead:

If any "leader" of this state would say "you have a pothead on the team, sorry no stadium". I will move to Lacrosse. I'm hanging on a short string as it is with the "leaders" of MN.

collegeguyjeff
04-28-2006, 09:28 AM
there goes one less distraction, the press will really be reeling to find crap on the vikings now

olson_10
04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
hes in discussions with winnipeg of the CFL, this is good news for me! lol!

DaunteHOF
04-28-2006, 03:14 PM
R.I.P. The Whizzinator