PDA

View Full Version : The vikes have a new freak.

muchluv4smoot
08-08-2004, 09:55 PM
According to ESPN's john clayton, the vikes now have a freak #2 on the team. He called Dontarrious thomas a freak after seeing him play in the scrimmages this weekend against KC. I know I have been saying this over and over again, but I think this kid is gonna be a great LB very quickly in this league, and will be D rookie of the year.

Clayton also had good reviews for EJ henderson, saying he is a playmaker.

jiggyjack
08-08-2004, 10:14 PM
i just hope they make plays. i heard we ve got some great speed in the linebackers. if claiborne is healthy and the young guys step up and dont get caught out of position too much, it could be a lot of fun to watch.

muchluv4smoot
08-08-2004, 10:32 PM
"jiggyjack" wrote:

i just hope they make plays. i heard we ve got some great speed in the linebackers. if claiborne is healthy and the young guys step up and dont get caught out of position too much, it could be a lot of fun to watch.

Yeah, I see claiborne's health as more of a concern, than EJ and DT's youth and inexperience.

LosAngelis
08-08-2004, 10:52 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

According to ESPN's john clayton, the vikes now have a freak #2 on the team. He called Dontarrious thomas a freak after seeing him play in the scrimmages this weekend against KC. I know I have been saying this over and over again, but I think this kid is gonna be a great LB very quickly in this league, and will be D rookie of the year.

Clayton also had good reviews for EJ henderson, saying he is a playmaker.

Collective Viking Fans: "WE LOVE ESPN!!!!"

triedandtruevikesfan
08-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Holy crap.... since when does anyone have anything good to say about our team???!!!! I take this as a very good sign!!! I'm already optimistic about the season, but this helps even more!!!

Big Daddy
08-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Any good news is welcome in my book. I just hope we can avoid any serious injuries or off field distractions. If the young studs can minimize their mistakes and not get cought out of position too much, it should be a great year. Go Viks!

TEXPACK
08-08-2004, 11:54 PM
A friendly word of advice the sooner you get rid of Claiborne the better off the Vikes will be. He is a cancer, you have been warned.

BigEasyViking
08-09-2004, 12:10 AM
What would give you an idea that Claiborn is a cancer? Yeah, he did get hurt last year but has had a very good career so far and I don't see why that wouldn't continue. He's a leader, a hardworker, and a very good linebacker. Please Clarify...

silvermane
08-09-2004, 12:13 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

A friendly word of advice the sooner you get rid of Claiborne the better off the Vikes will be. He is a cancer, you have been warned.

what??? please explain that. i have followed claiborne since he joined on with the vikes and he is in much better shape now than he used to be. and if i'm not mistaken he is committed to the vikes strength and conditioning program again this year to keep in shape.

as far as attitude claiborne is a class act and team player. he has played with injuries before and has shown a willingness to play his best at whatever position he is asked to play. i mean the guy has experience at all three linebacker positions in his career. he may not be the fastest or athletic guy around but to say he is cancer, you are just way off with that one.

RandyMoss8404
08-09-2004, 12:21 AM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

What would give you an idea that Claiborn is a cancer? Yeah, he did get hurt last year but has had a very good career so far and I don't see why that wouldn't continue. He's a leader, a hardworker, and a very good linebacker. Please Clarify...

Listen to both Los and Texpack - any good player we have is a cancer of some sort. Moss is like testicular I guess

BigEasyViking
08-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Once again, Tex is proved wrong! It's gotta get a little old being an wrong huh? I feel sorry for your family. Denial is an ugly thing.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 12:34 AM
What have you proved? I know Claiborne much better than you ever will.....he is a cancer.

God, one minute you people hate ESPN the next you quote it like its the bible. I know we root for opposing teams but, it doesn't mean I am wrong on everything. I saw the guy on the field. In ways you will never understand he is a cancer. If you are men enough you would admit I was right in about 17 weeks. Somehow I doubt that's going to happen.

Did I say he would ruin your little purple chances of a superbowl----NO! He won't be in the starting lineup by week 10. I've said it before and I'll say it again and again--week 10.

BigEasyViking
08-09-2004, 12:44 AM
All I'm asking is what you know? What would make you say that he's a cancer? If it's just because he's a viking then it's a dumb statement, but if you have something to back it up then I'll listen to your point of view. From what I have seen of Claiborn which has been ever since he started playing for the Lions I have seen nothing but good from him.

silvermane
08-09-2004, 12:47 AM
how do you know claiborne so well? did you go to usc with him? did you guys grow up together? you just say he's a cancer to the team and give no reasons at all for saying that.

i watched claiborne play four seasons in detroit before he came to the vikings. never an elite linebacker but always a solid player. his only issue was with weight and keeping in shape. but he contributed a lot to the team.

what makes you think he won't play with them after week 10? i really doubt he'll do anything to get cut, the only problem he may have is with injuries. you have to explain yourself better than that!

NeoVikesTX
08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Knowing TexPack, he will say he grew up with Claiborne and they were best buds.

Claiborne will do fine and will offer some experience for the Vikes at the linebacker position.

Jer
08-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Your linebackers are the weakest part of your defense-probably the whole team. I see trouble for them at least early on. It seems to me that most of your draft picks have been hyped up to be starters. While it is nice to hope for a few starters expect only one (two if lucky) to start because odds are this is just Vikes fans hoping for something to pan out. There is talent there, but it seems as though they are all being pressed right into the starting positions due to the vacancies that have been left via cuts and retirement.

ItalianStallion
08-09-2004, 01:29 AM
What is your point? Most of us realize this.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I stated all this in a post 3 weeks ago. I think E.J. Henderson will eventually start in the middle, nattiel weak, and Thomas strong. EVENTUALLY not in week one. I think this will give the Vikings a very fast defense and the best chance to blitz from the LB position. I also think because of Claibornes experience he could be an effective back up to multiple positions. It's my theory and I will see how it plays out. Other than that I just don't think Claiborne is the long term answer for the Vikings and they may as well look to the future sooner than later. And no I didn't grow up with the guy but, I still don't like him.
I think he's a whiner like neoTX.

BigEasyViking
08-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I think that would be too young of a LB crew with Nattiel, Henderson, and DT. Claiborn gives them the experience and leadership that they need to gel and be productive. I think that there are times when we will see the three that I mentioned earlier on the field at the same time, but not too often. Most likely in passing situations since Nattiel is quicker than Claiborn, and should be able to cover a 4th WR or flanker a little better, but still he has to prove himself. In running situations though, I would rather have claiborn on the field. I just hope that he can stay healthy!

:thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft:

casper
08-09-2004, 02:12 AM
"Jer" wrote:

Your linebackers are the weakest part of your defense-probably the whole team. I see trouble for them at least early on. It seems to me that most of your draft picks have been hyped up to be starters. While it is nice to hope for a few starters expect only one (two if lucky) to start because odds are this is just Vikes fans hoping for something to pan out. There is talent there, but it seems as though they are all being pressed right into the starting positions due to the vacancies that have been left via cuts and retirement.

Yeap your are right, but the young talent as you have said can do things most can't READ and REACT,

this is A, LB Corps that will simple sqash any thing that comes at them, they have the back up of a Great Secondary C, S, they will be able to go after the ball and anyone holding it is going to wish they stayed at home,

Young fast and the need to excell, the corps is HUNGRY for the Ball and get their Offense back on the field this will be the purple people eaters II coming to a gridiron near you...

You can't hide from the purple pride

hawaiianvike21
08-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Hey tex you really never gave us a GOOD reason why he is a cancer. ALl you really said was that evenutually our lb core will be two year players and rookies by saying thomas, henderson and nattiel if im right will be our starting lb's by week 10. THe only way i seee that happening is if clairborne gets hurt.

IN what way is he a cancer??? Are you in the lockeroom with the guys seeing clairborne put down everyone??? SUre he has a past of not being in condition but hes changed it all around now.

Its like saying nick barnett is a cancer to the packers and he shoudnt start for them. DOnt make sense does it. YOu know where im coming from.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 03:10 AM
I hear ya man. What I said probably doesn't make much sense.

I just have a friend or two still in and around camp that said he is a prick, wants to be a blitzing linebacker, doesn't have a real good feel for run stopping, i.e. scraping and keeping blocks off for a big linebacker. He also said, claibornes strength out of college was covering backs out of the backfield at USC and he has eaten/deconditioned himself out of that skill.
I don't believe training camp is supposed to be like weight watchers or Jenny Craig for these guys and they are supposed to show up in shape. He didn't.
I see him relegated to edge rusher/backup LB by week 10. Trust me that's a good thing for the Vikings. Get rid of the guy! Young linebackers can play in the NFL just like young RBs. There may be some missed assignments but, maybe more opportunity for big plays.

purplepat
08-09-2004, 10:28 AM
TEX - Who are these "friends" in camp you speak of? I keep up with all manner of Vikings training camp commentary (bumonalaptop over on Viking Update message board is at camp daily-great reports), and I have yet to hear a single bad thing about Claiborne.

If you watched any of the Vikings games during their 6-0 start last year, Claiborne was an absolute monster-easily the BEST player on the defensive side of the ball. It wasn't until he hurt his foot, and then tried to play through it, that his play (and that of the entire run defense) imploded. Claiborne was in great shape last year, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary. Yes, you may legitimately call him "injury-prone", but in no way does he look like a cancer to the Vikings.

As far as your other predictions, it is a certainty that Henderson will start the year at MLB. This is a given, and coaches have been raving about his play in camp. They are also raving about Thomas' play, and it is a virtual certainty that he will start the season at OLB. Now, will Henderson and Thomas give up some plays and make some mistakes because of their lack of NFL experience? Undoubtedly (much like Barnett did on that 4th and 26 against the Eagles). But with their speed, athleticism, and tackling ability, the Vikings LBs are in much better shape this season than last. There may be some early growing pains, but there will also be early stellar play as well.

Big C
08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I just read coach Tice's comments from this weekends camp against the Chiefs and he says he really likes what he sees in Keith Newman. He almost hinted that there is now competition between Claiborn and Newman for the Sam LB. I think he still implied that Claiborn still has a slight edge there.

I think EJ will play Mike. I have a feeling that Thomas will edge Nattiel out at Will. I think our LBs will do fine. They will have a few issues in the first few games but will gel together around the 4th or 5th game of the season. Really looking forward to this season. Go Vikes!!

ItalianStallion
08-09-2004, 10:36 AM
In other News, I hear keith Newman is looking pretty good in camp.

muchluv4smoot
08-09-2004, 11:22 AM
"Big C" wrote:

I just read coach Tice's comments from this weekends camp against the Chiefs and he says he really likes what he sees in Keith Newman. He almost hinted that there is now competition between Claiborn and Newman for the Sam LB. I think he still implied that Claiborn still has a slight edge there.

I think EJ will play Mike. I have a feeling that Thomas will edge Nattiel out at Will. I think our LBs will do fine. They will have a few issues in the first few games but will gel together around the 4th or 5th game of the season. Really looking forward to this season. Go Vikes!!

No way newman plays over claiborne unless claiborne is hurt. Remember, newman has played in cotrell system already, in buffalo, so of course he is gonna look good in the system before our other LB's do. It is good to hear, in case claiborne doesn't stay healthy, but that is it.

This post was meant to show that it was not only me or us vikes fans, who think Dontarrious is gonna be a great LB in the nfl soon. I am pretty sure that even pack fans respect john clayton's opinions and he seem to think DT was gonna be pretty damn good.

As far as claiborne being a cancer is concerned, you need to watch him with our young LB's and you will see this isn't true. He is the leader of the LB group and has done a great job this offseason of teaching these young guys. I don't see a cancer at all from this guy. Maybe you pack fans should go back to calling moss a cancer, you at least could give some reasons why he was one, unlike claiborne.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Pat,

I know a former Viking strength coach Kirk Olsen. I haven't spoken with him since about March. He hates Claiborne.

muchluv4smoot
08-09-2004, 11:32 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Pat,

I know a former Viking strength coach Kirk Olsen. I haven't spoken with him since about March. He hates Claiborne.

Holy crap, not a strength coach haiting him!!! God, now I see your point that he is cancer. Get rid of him and find someone to replace him, that the former strength coach likes. LOL

Does it matter that I know many coaches and players who like claiborne a lot? Or just because a few guys don't, then he is a cancer?

ItalianStallion
08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Texpack, maybe your friend was the real cancer, that is why he is now the FORMER strength coach, where as claiborne is still employed for the team :P

casper
08-09-2004, 11:44 AM
as they say you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time so do what you know is right and Claiborne is right... so lets let TICE be like Dywhite D Eisenhower who said Hire the Best and let them do there job...

Ryno
08-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Exactly Muchluv
+ Who here can honesly say they have got a long with every person they have worked with at their job. No matter how friendly you are with the people you see day in & day out in your work environment, someone is gonna dislike you or think you're an A-Hole.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
I dont see how claiborne is a cancer, he might not play after week 10 but i think that tice is trying to do that on purpose, i mean isnt claiborn with us to bring leadership and help the rookies? If our rookie LBs are doin good then he should take claiborn out, its not like hes not helping anymore hes still gonna help the rookies with info and stuff. Plz correct me if you think im wrong im willing to hear all point of views.

muchluv4smoot
08-09-2004, 11:58 AM
"TheFloridianVikingFan" wrote:

I dont see how claiborne is a cancer, he might not play after week 10 but i think that tice is trying to do that on purpose, i mean isnt claiborn with us to bring leadership and help the rookies? If our rookie LBs are doin good then he should take claiborn out, its not like hes not helping anymore hes still gonna help the rookies with info and stuff. Plz correct me if you think im wrong im willing to hear all point of views.

So far all he has given us, is that he knows a former vikes strength coach that didn't like claiborne, thus claiborne is somehow a cancer.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 12:04 PM
That's all I've been saying Florida exactly what you just said.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Well then i agree with you.

muchluv4smoot
08-09-2004, 12:25 PM
"TheFloridianVikingFan" wrote:

Well then i agree with you.

Yeah, apparently texpack agrees with you/us now, that claiborne isn't a cancer to our team, although I haven't heard him say it yet.

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Alright, he's a benign mole on your team's Buttocks.

Happy??

ndakvikefan
08-09-2004, 11:47 PM
TEXPAC please tell me how you know Claiborne better than anyone ever will ???? And why your at it how is Barry Sanders doing ???? Or how about John Elway, could you get me him to sign a jersey for me, or better yet couold you get me a Walter Payton helmet or a Bert Jones Jersey???

TEXPACK
08-09-2004, 11:58 PM
I would do all of those things for you if you weren't a DICK!! :la: :dink:

ndakvikefan
08-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Quick TEXPAC, I know you are on line, prove to me taht you are who you say you are. Who is Jeff Davidson??????? If you are who you say you are you should know this.

TEXPACK
08-10-2004, 12:54 AM
You tell me??? pundit

so-cal vike
08-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Yawn...

TEXPACK
08-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Go to bed So-called you sound tired.

nodakvikesfan
08-10-2004, 01:09 AM
i was wondering where muchluvformoss found this stuff clayton said on espn, because i've been all over espn trying to find it. :scratch:

TWISTED
08-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Not to agree with big bad texpack, but I remember hearing that Claiborne was a jerk. Back when he was a Lion. But I don’t really care, just produce results and lead by example. Not everyone on this planet is a nice guy. I think most of us here who have been in locker rooms, have had someone that you didn’t care much for. But he was your teammate, and you both did your jobs to the best of your ability. Concerning the youth at LB, I don’t like to see rookies starting, but its what we have. So you just have to hope they are fast learners and adapt to NFL play.

muchluv4smoot
08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
"nodakvikesfan" wrote:

i was wondering where muchluvformoss found this stuff clayton said on espn, because i've been all over espn trying to find it. :scratch:

Clayton did a quick segment on NFL Live a few nights ago(I believe on sat night), about the KC/vikes scrimmages. That is when he called DT freak #2 and said EJ was gonna be a playmaker too.

ndakvikefan
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Give you a hint TEXPAC, he played for a big 10 school around the time you did. He may have been drafted before you started playing, but I figured since you know Chris Claiborne and he played on the other side of the country after you then you should know an all american that played in the same conferance as you.

TEXPACK
08-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Ya I've heard of him he's a former guard at OSU and a coach for the Patriots. He played/graduated 2 full years before I even went to college.