PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Winfield!

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Looks like the move to get winfield in the offseason was a good one as he gets two interceptions in the practice this morning (aug. 6th) and also gets a few big hits. Cornerback Antoine Winfield had a very impressive performance in the morning session against the Chiefs. Winfield recorded two interceptions, a couple passes defended and laid a number of big hits. Winfield was the biggest free agent addition to the Vikings. He was brought in to solidify one side of the defensive secondary. If his performance this morning was any indication of what we'll see this season, Vikings fans are in for a treat. This is what interviewers asked him:

Q: It didn't take long for the Vikes to find out what you can do, how did you feel out there with what you did?
A: I felt pretty good, the coaches called some coverage's that put me in some good situations; I saw the ball and made a play on it.

Q: You had a couple of picks, not a bad huh?
A: That's a good way to start; hopefully it will carry over into the season.

Q: What did you think of the defense overall?
A: I think we did pretty good this morning we had a few mental errors, let the tight ends get open a few too many times, but hopefully we'll come up this afternoon and correct those things.

Q: One of the tight ends who caught one across the middle ended up getting hurt on the play, is that what happens when you catch a long one on the Vikes?
A: Of course, we're going to make a great effort to put our helmet on some players this year.

Q: How did it feel to get out there and practice against someone other than your own teammates?
A: It felt pretty good, not as stressful, going out there and competing with Randy Moss everyday gets a little stressful, but going out there, they (Chiefs) have some good receivers, I think their starting core is down, but still Dante Hall is a good receiver and it's a good challenge for us.

Q: What's next, what do you need to accomplish right now, just take another step toward cohesiveness?
A: I think so, we need to be a little more consistent, know our assignments and go out there and execute them.

Q: Being a new member of this secondary, how important is it to go out and have success in situations like this early?
A: I think it's very important for my teammates to gain my trust to know I'm going to go out there each play and do the best I can.

He's Lookin good in my book! :thumbright: :rr: :thumbleft:

SKOL_Master
08-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I agree; looks like a good pickup.

We need him to perform, though. Can't waste more time and money like we did on Denard Walker last year.

casper
08-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Spiderman Cornerback Antoine Winfield Spiderman does whatever a spider can

Q: It didn't take long for the Vikes to find out what you can do, how did you feel out there with what you did?
A: I felt pretty good, the coaches called some coverage's that put me in some good situations; I saw the ball and made a play on it.

It's good to see him say the coaches called some good coverage :director: but are they set up for free thinking "read and react" as well :scratch:

hawaiianvike21
08-07-2004, 05:37 AM
Well he proved his worth today from what i heard as the first play of scrimmage was a pick by winfield. :shock: He had two picks on the day, excellent tackling skills and some broken up passes. Hes the real deal, no more denard walker thats for sure.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-07-2004, 11:45 AM
its good to see that hes comfortable with the team , and that hes doing well.

RandyMoss8404
08-07-2004, 12:15 PM
A friend of mine went to see them scrimmage, she said Winfield nearly knocked Gonzo unconcious

VKG4LFE
08-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I love to hear all of that, but we need him to stay healthy and do that during the regular season!! Who did he pick off, does anybody know? Was it their #1 QB or 2 or 3?

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 02:42 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I love to hear all of that, but we need him to stay healthy and do that during the regular season!! Who did he pick off, does anybody know? Was it their #1 QB or 2 or 3?

It had to have been trent green, since one was on the very first play of scrimmage and I know trent green didn't sit out yesterday.

VKG4LFE
08-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Well that's good!! The first play of scrimmage!! That's awesome, let's hope that happens a few times this year during the season too!!

vikesgirl
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Excellent! Let's hope that he keeps doing that all season long. I have been waiting to see him on the field since all the critics keep saying he is too small. I think that it was a nice pickup.

sitandbehitski
08-15-2004, 10:59 AM
In preseason he looked good. On the Card's recievers like he was glued to them, he would have gotten a pick of McCown too, if the reciever hadn't pass interfered with him.

P.S. Didn't DT Look awesome!!! What a monster, I'd hate to be McCown after getting smacked like that!!!

duffVIkEs
08-21-2004, 12:34 AM
hes gonna be a great addition im really glad the vikes got him.

IowaVike
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Getting Winfield in the offseason was one of the best free agent signings Minnesota has had in years. I'm really looking forward to week two when he shuts down the overrated Terrel Owens.

Big Daddy
08-30-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm just happy that Tice has made the Viks D respectable again!

FightingIrish
09-12-2004, 07:02 PM
And he just started earning his money!

Nice turnover.

VKG4LFE
09-12-2004, 09:55 PM
THe D looked pretty horrible!! I guess they bent but they didn't brake. But they will have to play a lot better than that I think!

NeoVikesTX
09-12-2004, 10:06 PM
The D played poorly at first, but I feel they started coming together in the 2nd half. They had some big hits, forced some turnovers, and seemed to get more pressure on the QB.

I think they will get better and better as the season progresses.

hawaiianvike21
09-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Even though the d looked like crap i gotta give the defensive gameball to winfield for 9 tackles, not bad coverage, remember it was rushen jones who was being picked on and forcing two fumbles as well as recovering one of them to seal the deal for our win.

Props to winfield!!

Other gameball of course goes to cully for his 5 td performance. Winfield wins it for the d.

VKG4LFE
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Jones didn't force any fumbles. Winfield forced at least one fumble and I think Russell forced the other one!

casper
09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
V4L the first half the d line shut down any run the secondary was lose but it may be because Irvin wasn't there and everyones minds was not into it, the second half number don't look to bad for a rookie Secondary the LB corps looks good and the line as I said worked good, Let give them some time before we start to chop and cut...... these guys are going to DO DAMM good... once they MELD as one...Dallas is not a team to be held for 17 most of it in the first half...they will get there lets just hope irvin won't be out for ever...That really is to bad everyone siked up and during warm ups your own field takes out one of your best.....MAN

VKG4LFE
09-13-2004, 01:51 PM
I know casper!! We'll be ok!!

muchluv4smoot
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Jones didn't force any fumbles. Winfield forced at least one fumble and I think Russell forced the other one!

I think he was referring to winfield forcing the fumbles, because he forced both fumbles and recovered the one. Also don't forget that winfield filled in for kenny irvin on special teams, and had 3 special teams tackles. This guy is definitely worth the money.

I think another game ball should go to the O-line. They did an excellent job of protection, even against the blitz. Did marcellous wiley even play? I never heard his name once. Also never heard glover's name until well into the 4th quarter. Roy williams also did nothing against us.

purpleFavreEaters
09-19-2004, 11:31 PM
At least we dont play like the packers Defense did today against the bears!!!!! Now that was a joke sir!!! But completey what I would expect from the packers.