PDA

View Full Version : If Vikes get new stadium, Wilf hopes to rebuild Dome area

singersp
04-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Posted on Fri, Apr. 21, 2006

If Vikes get new stadium, Wilf hopes to help rebuild Dome area

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said he would like to play some role in the redevelopment of the Metrodome area, if the state Legislature approves his plan to build a $1.6 billion stadium and mixed-use center in Blaine.

Developed properly, the "outdated" Metrodome and the "renaissance" riverfront area in Minneapolis could be bridged, said Wilf, the New Jersey real estate magnate who bought the Vikings last year.

"I hope to be an important part of that redevelopment. I have seen that as a potential from Day One. I speak as a developer. It is a great opportunity to create an area there with a mixed-use park system, residential and retail," Wilf said Thursday during a Greater Minneapolis Building Owners & Managers Association luncheon.

He did not elaborate.

Wilf hopes the Legislature will approve his plan for a new Vikings stadium in Blaine. Wilf and his business partners say they plan to invest $1 billion in the project, and are seeking nearly $600 million in public money.

When builders in the audience asked Wilf if the Vikings would remain at the Metrodome under any scenario, Wilf called the facility outdated.

"I do not envision having to play in the Metrodome," he said.

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

If Vikes get new stadium, Wilf hopes to help rebuild Dome area (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/14394254.htm)

C-PepNSalt
04-21-2006, 02:00 PM
"I do not envision having to play in the metrodome."

Sounds kinda like a threat...or maybe i'm just reading it wrong.

whackthepack
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
The Vikes have to play in the Metrodome until the 2011, if we do not have a new stadium under construction by then the Vikes will leave Minnesota.

COJOMAY
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM

I think he's just trying to put a positive spin on being in the new stadium.

Ltrey33
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't care if they turn the old dome into a brothel, just build a damn stadium!

sleepagent
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I like his style

mblack76
04-21-2006, 04:20 PM
"C-PepNSalt" wrote:

Its not a threat. Its just a strong statement that he does want the stadium at all cost. He wants it so bad that he does not even see the team playing in the dome (playing in the dome is not an option to him. To him there is only one thing to think about- a new stadium). That to me is a message to those concerned that this needs to be taken with utmost importance.
A very good statement in my opinion. This is the kind of attitude we lacked from the former management. The laid back attitude of Red and Co. just helped the legislators relegate the stadium talk to the back of the discussion. Wilf does all he can to keep it at the front. Great Job Wilf!

cajunvike
04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I don't care if they turn the old dome into a brothel, just build a gol 'darnit stadium!

Singer would DEFINITELY have season tickets for THAT!!! :lol:

VikesfaninWis
04-21-2006, 04:46 PM
It wasn't so much as a threat as it was telling it like it is. If he would have said yes I do invision the Vikings playing in the Metrodome if a new stadium doesn't get approved, they would be quicker to turn down his plans for a new stadium.

Good for Zygi.. I like this guys style. I would hate to see the Vikings leave Minnesota, but Wilf needs to do what is best for his investment. If the people of Minnesota are going to shoot down his plans for a new stadium, then if leaving Minnesota and putting his team somewhere else where it will have better revenue, then he needs to do just that. All I know is if they are ever forced to leave Minnesota, I will still cheer for them wherever they end up, and whatever their name may be..

BadlandsVikings
04-21-2006, 05:14 PM
You don't say right away your going to move the team if you don't get a new stadium, it just makes it harder to get the new one.

Zeus
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

All I know is if they are ever forced to leave Minnesota, I will still cheer for them wherever they end up, and whatever their name may be..

Not me. If they are the Los Angeles Vikings, they can rot in heck for all I care.

=Z=

happy camper
04-21-2006, 05:41 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

All I know is if they are ever forced to leave Minnesota, I will still cheer for them wherever they end up, and whatever their name may be..

Not me. If they are the Los Angeles Vikings, they can rot in heck for all I care.

=Z=

me too.

i love the minnesota vikings.

not the los angeles vikings.

id root for certain players. but as soon as jermain wiggins, antione winfield, kevin williams, brad johnson, mewlede moore and those guys retire.. id just as soon see the vikings go to hell than root for them.

BadlandsVikings
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
LA Vikings, that is just wrong. IF the team moved we would have to have the Browns deal.

Vrehna
04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Whats worse?

The LA Vikings, or the Dallas North Stars?

((just another reason why I hate Dallas))

I don't see what he said about not envisioning the Vikes in the dome as a threat, I see that as confidence. Zygi is a successful businessman, meaning he knows how to get it done. I have faith.

NodakPaul
04-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Zygi is a good business man. He will get the stadium deal done, and the Vikings stay in Minnesota. Look at how far he has come already. He has also said that he won't move the team, and we have no reason not to take him at his word. I have faith in Zygi.

cajunvike
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Now WHY in heck would Wilf want to rebuild the Dome area...everyone KNOWS that the land there is TOTALLY WORTHLESS. He would just be throwing away his money...what a sacrifice he would be making!

*sarcasm off*

tastywaves
04-21-2006, 10:12 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I don't care if they turn the old dome into a brothel, just build a gol 'darnit stadium!

Good idea. Zygi could buy the dome, fill it up with water, throw a boat in there, a few chicks from Atlanta and let the Vikings players go wild. What happens in the dome, stays in the dome. Heck, I'll even bartend for him.

Benet
04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Cynical Benet: He's only saying he would like to renovate the Dome area because it's a good PR exercise and makes it look to the fans like he's determined not to run the Vikes out of Minneapolis and into Blaine and leave a trail of destruction in his wake. Plus, as Cajun said, that land will be worth millions of Dollars and whoever gets the building contracts to rebuild there will make a FORTUNE.

Idealistic Benet: At least Zygi's trying to ingratiate himself with the fans and give something back to Minneapolis after taking the Vikes away from the Minneapolitans. Any why shouldn't he be interested in rebuilding the old Dome site? He did make his money in construction after all.. It would add another facet to Downtown Minneapolis and hopefully attract more people and business to the State of Minnesota, like the proposed Northern Lights complex will inevitably do.

Conclusion: I'd rather let Zygi do it than someone else. Plus Zygi's gonna get the Northern Lights done for 1 simple reason. His name ain't Red McCombs.

NordicNed
04-22-2006, 11:55 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

Hey Cajun,

I'de have to up my visits to like 3 or 4 times a year then.... :lol:

singersp
04-22-2006, 12:48 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

I'm already on the season pass waiting list! :wink:

crazyB
04-23-2006, 03:54 PM
sound's great the more he give's to the city the more the city would give back to him so the new stadium will be finnished alot sooner, just a thought but hey the more public backing he get's the better for the Vikings as a team and an organisation.

:notworthy: :wav: all hail Zygi Wilf :grin:

shawn9876uss
04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I sure hope that it helps get the stadium done