PDA

View Full Version : Birk Voted One Of The Top Draft Bargains Of Last 20 Years



LAVike
04-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Haven't seen it posted . . . a good read. Well deserved.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/04/19/gallery.draftbargains/index.13.exclude.html

KWilliamsAWinfield
04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Good read but SportsIssurated is retarded for not making Tom Brady number 1, drafted in the 6th round and won 3 Superbowls, he is number 1 on my list

WinonaVike
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Excellent Read, thanks for posting.

Zeus
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
"KWilliamsAWinfield" wrote:

Good read but SportsIssurated is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd for not making Tom Brady number 1, drafted in the 6th round and won 3 Superbowls, he is number 1 on my list

Good point. Steve Smith (their #1) was a 3rd-round choice. That's not nearly as much of a reach as a 6th-rounder like Brady.

Heck - I'd pick Shannon Sharpe or Terrell Davis over Steve Smith as well in this category.

=Z=

whackthepack
04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"KWilliamsAWinfield" wrote:

Good read but SportsIssurated is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd for not making Tom Brady number 1, drafted in the 6th round and won 3 Superbowls, he is number 1 on my list

Good point. Steve Smith (their #1) was a 3rd-round choice. That's not nearly as much of a reach as a 6th-rounder like Brady.

Heck - I'd pick Shannon Sharpe or Terrell Davis over Steve Smith as well in this category.

=Z=

I agree it should have been Brady!

The should not have included 3rd rounders as they are still high draft picks and expected to succeed, should have only been 4th round or later.

T-Ho being chosen why? He was a 3rd rounder and he may have talent but his psycho personality has made him not a star, but a cancer on every team he has been with!

DarrinNelsonguy
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Smith should be ranked a little lower, yes he is a great WR but he was taken in the 3rd round for goodness sake those should be good players. I would say that Brady should be #1.

Where is Larry Allen on the list, he was a late round pick as well (I believe) and he is a future Hall of Famer?

cajunvike
04-20-2006, 07:21 PM
"KWilliamsAWinfield" wrote:

Good read but SportsIssurated is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd for not making Tom Brady number 1, drafted in the 6th round and won 3 Superbowls, he is number 1 on my list

F*** Tom Brady...those 3 SBs were as much a function of their defense as anything! Anyway, he doesn't get to win EVERYTHING!!! :evil:

Bdubya
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Tom Brady is my boy, but even if he wasn't there is no way that I could deny how big of a bargain he was. No way that Steve Smith was a bigger bargain than he was. Sixth Round and lead the team to three Super Bowl victories, that is about as good as you can do.

cajunvike
04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
What??? No Brad Johnson...he was taken very late...and still won a Super Bowl as well as becoming a starter for four teams in his career.

Anti-Viking bias....that's what it is!!! The main reason that they overlooked that bias in Birk's case is because he went to Harvard (another example of East Coast bias trumping everything)!

badbois
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
But there are more qb's taken it later rounds that develope into great players then rb's

sirweeze
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I'd imagine John Randle would've been pretty high on that list.

If he had been drafted at all.

Zeus
04-20-2006, 07:54 PM
"badbois" wrote:

But there are more qb's taken it later rounds that develope into great players then rb's

Terrell Davis was a 6th-round pick.

But last year's RBs over 1200 yards seem to back up your contention.

1 Shaun Alexander SEA 1880 - 1st round - 19th pick
2 Tiki Barber NYG 1860 - 2nd round - 36th overall pick
3 Larry Johnson KC 1750 - 1st round - 27th pick
4 Clinton Portis WAS 1516 - 2nd round - 19th pick in that round
5 Edgerrin James IND 1506 - 1st round - 4th pick
6 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 1462 - 1st round - 5th pick
7 Rudi Johnson CIN 1458 - 4th round - 5th pick
8 Warrick Dunn ATL 1416 - 1st round - 12th pick
9 Thomas Jones CHI 1335 - 1st round - 7th pick
10 Willis McGahee BUF 1247 - 1st round - 21st pick
11 Reuben Droughns CLE 1232 - 3rd round - 81st overall
12 Willie Parker PIT 1202 - Undrafted

Only Rudi Johnson and Willie Parker were higher than 3rd-round picks.

=Z=

VKG4LFE
04-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Good for Birk. He's a class act and has come in and really helped the vikes when he's been healthy!!

shawn9876uss
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Birk definately was a steal, he is awesome on the field and off

PurplePridesSavior
04-20-2006, 08:35 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

What??? No Brad Johnson...he was taken very late...and still won a Super Bowl as well as becoming a starter for four teams in his career.

Anti-Viking bias....that's what it is!!! The main reason that they overlooked that bias in Birk's case is because he went to Harvard (another example of East Coast bias trumping everything)!

I don't really think Brad Johnson deserved the list. He basically compares to Trent Dilfer. Both have been starters for four team and both have lost their starting jobs on four teams and both rode two of the best defenses in the past ten years to a superbowl. They are both serviceable good players. Brad is a little better passer. And Dilfer didn't qaulitfy for the list being undrafted not that he deseved to be there anyway, but I don't think Brad was that big of a snub to be honest.

Formo
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Aye, I agree on Birk.

If he can stay healthy now.. That would be GREAT. We need him back more than ever.