PDA

View Full Version : Vikesgeek claims inside information on the draft...



dbalke10
04-20-2006, 01:45 AM
"The Insider Contacts Me" by Mr. Cheer Or Die
On April 22 of last year, The Insider had e-mailed me with the top three players on the Vikings board for the first round selection. Since he had given me the scoop on Randy Moss just a few months earlier, I listened. After all the dust of the draft had settled, the Insider did not disappoint. He was spot on.

For those not familiar with The Insider, he is an acquaintance of mine with inside access to Winter Park. We trade more e-mails about gardening than we do football....as we did this week. His credentials are sound and he only e-mails me about Vikings "scoops" when they are pretty damn sound. Last year, he said the following three people Sat atop the Vikings draft board. This is exactly what I posted in April of 2005 shortly after The Insider contacted me:

At #1 sits Braylon Edwards. No surprise there. With the #7 overall selection it makes perfect sense for the team to replace some of Randy Moss' production here. Edwards, a playmaker with a solid frame and great hands, has All-Pro potential. He immediately would become Daunte Culpepper's go-to receiver.
And here comes the curve ball. At #2 is Troy Williamson, the speedy WR out of South Carolina. Williamson has good size and blazing speed. Paired with Nate Burleson, the Vikings would have two downfield threats to take pressure off QB Daunte Culpepper and the new focus on running

At #3 is Mike Williams, whom Williamson leapt over in recent weeks. It appears that the Vikes are more focused on speed in making this choice to move Williamson ahead of Williams.


Edwards went to the Browns with the 3rd overall pick and Williamson to the Vikes with the seventh. Here is the early name The Insider has provided me....the name that currently sits atop the Vikings big board:

VINCE FREAKING YOUNG!!!!!


Wow! The Wonderlic Kid! You've all read the reports that Vince Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic test at this year's NFL Scouting Combine. The average score for a player at the combine is 19. The average score overall — hundreds of corporations use the Wonderlic — is 21. But a score under 10 is an indication of literacy problems. Former Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly has the record for lowest score, a 4. Former Florida State kicker Sebastian Janikowski reportedly got a 9.

Young then received a pass, took the test again and scored a 16. OK, so now we know he can read. But a 20 on the Wonderlic is indicative of about an I.Q. of 100. A score of 6...or a 16... means that Vince Young could hide his own Easter eggs and still have fun trying to locate them.

So, either The Insider has located a great stash of cannabis in his garden and has been stoking his pipe a bit too much.....or, we have another surprise coming later this month and we will once again bow to his greatness. And let me clear: while the Wonderlic Kid is currently the guy atop the Vikes big board, The Insider states that only if Young falls would the Vikes bust a move to get him. He goes further to state the team would not be willing to movie intop the Top 5 as the price would be too high.....but Top 12, definitely.

Stay tuned.

VKG4LFE
04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
I really don't want to trade up to get Young, I think that would be a big mistake, but the football people seem to know what they are doing. Good info there dbalke!

vegasvike
04-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Young then received a pass, took the test again and scored a 16. OK, so now we know he can read. But a 20 on the Wonderlic is indicative of about an I.Q. of 100. A score of 6...or a 16... means that Vince Young could hide his own Easter eggs and still have fun trying to locate them.
:lol: that's pretty funny

VikesfaninWis
04-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Thta would be one of the only moves that I would get extremely pissed off at. The reason is this, if we are gunning for Young, then we would have to package most of our picks in order to move up and get him in this years draft. He is not worth that many picks. We would be better off trading our 1 pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

I hope this is purely speculation at this point. I would hate to see the Vikes invest so much into a guy that is at best hit and miss.. He is big, has a good arm, and has great speed, but I don't think that Vince Young is the answer for the Viking's system.. This of course is just MO...

VKG4LFE
04-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I agree. I don't want to see us trade away all those picks to move up to get him.

DaunteHOF
04-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Thats splendid news right there, would definately accept VY as our new QB. Kinda upset he didnt reveal the other 2 names on the board.

farvathevikinglover
04-20-2006, 02:00 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Thta would be one of the only moves that I would get extremely pissed off at. The reason is this, if we are gunning for Young, then we would have to package most of our picks in order to move up and get him in this years draft. He is not worth that many picks. We would be better off trading our 1 pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

I hope this is purely speculation at this point. I would hate to see the Vikes invest so much into a guy that is at best hit and miss.. He is big, has a good arm, and has great speed, but I don't think that Vince Young is the answer for the Viking's system.. This of course is just MO...I agree. I would not be happy if the Vikings packaged a ton of picks to get him. QBs are never guaranteed to be stars, even if there taken in the first (as it says in the article by Michael Smith that I posted yesterday), and seeing how Young is riskier than most, I definitely do not want to trade up to get him. I think its best we stay at 17 unless someone like Hawk slips to past the top 10, because LB is a much safer pick than QB.

WisconsinSucks
04-20-2006, 02:03 AM
I could not be more against Young than anyone else in the draft. Shotgun, maybe handoff to running back who is running by , run like hell, maybe throw. Thats the Texas ofense last year. BIG BUST IN NFL.

mnjamie
04-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Alot of "if's and but's" there ... but good info none the less.

ItalianStallion
04-20-2006, 02:05 AM
I recall that the Vikings had Ronnie Brown as their #1 player overall on their draft board alst year, which brings into question the validity of this source somewhat.

FuadFan
04-20-2006, 02:18 AM
It isn't that big of a deal it says they won't move up for him and he will be gone in the top ten.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 02:25 AM
I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).

purplepride818
04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
"viks_fan21" wrote:

I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).


yeah but only 1 of those guys you listed has won a superbowl. and elway had a great D and even better RB. no way i want vince young on my team

Formo
04-20-2006, 02:36 AM
McNair, Cunningham and McNabb have never won the Superbowl. Elway took what? 4 shots to get one? And even then, he had ALOT of help from his RB and offensive line. I'm sorry, but I don't want a QB like that. I want a QB like Big Ben, Tom Brady, or Aikmen. Whether or not Young, Cutler or Leinart are like those QBs, we won't know for another handful of years. Here's my take:

Young = Vick. Flashy, will win some big games, but after 2 years of taking beatings, starts to faulter.

Cutler = Either Harrington or J.T. O'Sullivan. He'll be good enough to be drafted, but be put behind a premere QB and will be forgotten, or will struggle for years much like Harrington or Carr has

Leinart = Manning(esque) or Rothlesburger. He'll make some sort of an impact. May take a year or two before he gets ahold of his teams offense (leaning on the thought that he stays with one team/system), but will make impact nonetheless.

Of course, all are my own opinions and thoughts.

fabybaby32
04-20-2006, 02:37 AM
I would rather have Omar Jacobs than Vince Young. Jacobs, IMO, posesses the same skills and talent as Young. He just didnt play for a powerhouse team so he doesnt get much attention.

cajunvike
04-20-2006, 02:39 AM
"purplepride818" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).


yeah but only 1 of those guys you listed has won a superbowl. and elway had a great D and even better RB. no way i want vince young on my team

Give me the great D (we have most of the personnel to do it already) and that even better RB (DeAngelo Williams) and it won't matter who plays QB (unless it's JT O'Suckalot)!!!

DeAngelo at #17...no moving up!!!

D'Qwell in the second round at #48...Croyle, Jacobs or Whitehurst at #51.

WisconsinSucks
04-20-2006, 02:43 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"purplepride818" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).


yeah but only 1 of those guys you listed has won a superbowl. and elway had a great D and even better RB. no way i want vince young on my team

Give me the great D (we have most of the personnel to do it already) and that even better RB (DeAngelo Williams) and it won't matter who plays QB (unless it's JT O'Suckalot)!!!

DeAngelo at #17...no moving up!!!

D'Qwell in the second round at #48...Croyle, Jacobs or Whitehurst at #51.

Cajun,
Why are you so facinated by Williams? You are on a bunch of threads which all state the same thing. So how do you really feel? :grin:

VKG4LFE
04-20-2006, 02:45 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"purplepride818" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).


yeah but only 1 of those guys you listed has won a superbowl. and elway had a great D and even better RB. no way i want vince young on my team

Give me the great D (we have most of the personnel to do it already) and that even better RB (DeAngelo Williams) and it won't matter who plays QB (unless it's JT O'Suckalot)!!!

DeAngelo at #17...no moving up!!!

D'Qwell in the second round at #48...Croyle, Jacobs or Whitehurst at #51.


I think I'm going to have to agree with cajun here. I don't know how much I like DeAngelo but I do like the other two picks. I'd rather have Maroney at #17 but that's just my Minny bias coming into play!

ZDoy379
04-20-2006, 02:46 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 03:02 AM
"Formo" wrote:

McNair, Cunningham and McNabb have never won the Superbowl. Elway took what? 4 shots to get one? And even then, he had ALOT of help from his RB and offensive line. I'm sorry, but I don't want a QB like that. I want a QB like Big Ben, Tom Brady, or Aikmen. Whether or not Young, Cutler or Leinart are like those QBs, we won't know for another handful of years. Here's my take:

Young = Vick. Flashy, will win some big games, but after 2 years of taking beatings, starts to faulter.

Cutler = Either Harrington or J.T. O'Sullivan. He'll be good enough to be drafted, but be put behind a premere QB and will be forgotten, or will struggle for years much like Harrington or Carr has

Leinart = Manning(esque) or Rothlesburger. He'll make some sort of an impact. May take a year or two before he gets ahold of his teams offense (leaning on the thought that he stays with one team/system), but will make impact nonetheless.

Of course, all are my own opinions and thoughts.

The never won a super bowl argument is legit, but are you telling me that if you could Donovan McNabb or John Elway in his prime to lead our team, you wouldn't take him?

Big Ben??? He won the super bowl but he hardly did it by himself. I could probably name 10 QBs who would've won a super bowl with his supporting cast last year.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 03:03 AM
"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.

Ohh... I like. That would be a great draft for us. Let's just hope that those 2nd round linebackers work out a little better for our new coaching staff.

KWilliamsAWinfield
04-20-2006, 03:11 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I recall that the Vikings had Ronnie Brown as their #1 player overall on their draft board alst year, which brings into question the validity of this source somewhat.

Really? Man, I would be in heaven if we drafted him, damn Dolphins! :razz:

mnjamie
04-20-2006, 03:13 AM
"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (if sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.

V4L
04-20-2006, 03:21 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (is sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.


LenDale is garbage.. Too fat.. Bad work ethics.. Product of the system

Maroney would be a better fit anyway.. Faster.. Just as strong.. Great work ethic.. Proved he can catch like a WR..


DeAngelo>> Maroney>> Addai>> Lendale

jkjuggalo
04-20-2006, 03:34 AM
If we are going to trade up for a QB, it better be Leinart or Cutler. Young would not fit into the WCO at all. I say trade our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks to move up to 5-7 if Cutler or Leinart is there and take that pick. Then with the remaining 2nd and 3rd rounders take D'Qwell and an OL or DB.

I'm not as worried about the CB situation after watching Ronyell Whitaker tearing it up in NFL Europe. That boy has a lot of speed and swagger.

Jeremy
04-20-2006, 03:34 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I recall that the Vikings had Ronnie Brown as their #1 player overall on their draft board alst year, which brings into question the validity of this source somewhat.I remember hearing that on KFAN too. Tice also said Troy was there #1 overall reciever, not Braylon Edwards.

mnjamie
04-20-2006, 03:39 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (is sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.


LenDale is garbage.. Too fat.. Bad work ethics.. Product of the system

Maroney would be a better fit anyway.. Faster.. Just as strong.. Great work ethic.. Proved he can catch like a WR..


DeAngelo>> Maroney>> Addai>> Lendale

That crap on LenDale is media garbage ... it all just came out in the last couple monthes ... 59 TD's in his college career says it all and watch his game tape ... Pure monster hitting the hole and enough moves to make "D" miss.

Maroney dances in the hole Way too much ... he's the mirror image of Bennett. If there's a monster hole, he is gone. Otherwise, tackled in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

Also remember, I'm a huge Gopher fan and havn't missed watching a game the last 3 years.

I go:

Lendale >> DeAngelo >> Maroney >> Addai

SWAYZE74
04-20-2006, 03:44 AM
man the more i hear about trading up...the more it makes me sick...whats so wrong with having 5 picks the first day and taking the best player on the board?

peace...

WisconsinSucks
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
"SWAYZE74" wrote:

man the more i hear about trading up...the more it makes me sick...whats so wrong with having 5 picks the first day and taking the best player on the board?

peace...

WORD

marshallvike
04-20-2006, 03:50 AM
running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.

Jeremy
04-20-2006, 03:52 AM
"marshallvike" wrote:

running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

vikeswin2005
04-20-2006, 03:53 AM
lets stay put....

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 03:53 AM
"WisconsinSucks" wrote:

"SWAYZE74" wrote:

man the more i hear about trading up...the more it makes me sick...whats so wrong with having 5 picks the first day and taking the best player on the board?

peace...

WORD

A Day 1 pick should be a starter, I think we all agree on that. So what five positions need replacements?

QB - eventually
RB - I think we're good, although I'd love Deangelo
FB - no way
WR - Troy, K-Rob, and TT are locks for #1, #2, and #3.
TE - We're good
O-line - Maybe a RG
D-line - We're set
LB - we could use one starter
CB - maybe a CB in the 3rd
S - I like our corps

So, if we take a QB, a RG, and a LB with our first three picks, do we really want to waste our 3rd rounders on backups???

NDVikingFan66
04-20-2006, 03:55 AM
We have enough holes where I dont think we should package our picks to get one player. I think there is enough quality and depth in this draft to survive with what we have. To many times teams package picks to get a "great"player, only to have that player flop.

Vince Young - NO

I really do not think he is the player for us....but maybe I am wrong.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 04:03 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

We have enough holes where I dont think we should package our picks to get one player. I think there is enough quality and depth in this draft to survive with what we have. To many times teams package picks to get a "great"player, only to have that player flop.

Vince Young - NO

I really do not think he is the player for us....but maybe I am wrong.

I can understand that, but the way i see it we have 3 holes to fill that are "first day needs". So, we package our 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd, and see what happens. I wouldn't be mad, but I would honestly rather keep our picks and go:

1) Ernie Sims/Chad Greenway
2) Davin Joseph/Charles Spencer (i think that's his name, from Pittsburg)
2b) Omar Jacobs
3) Martin Nance
3b) A CB, whoever falls, maybe even Hester although I don't really like him.

LuckyVike
04-20-2006, 04:08 AM
Childress was involved with the drafting of another big scrambling QB, McNabb, so I trust him with this. Although, it's not really one of the things I want to happen.

collegeguyjeff
04-20-2006, 04:10 AM
i don't believe that at all, and the team has closed door meetings and this "insider" isn't going to get any information. and i pray we don't draft vince young, heck even the team said schaub is a better prospect than any qb in the draft, they could be lying about that also.

ejmat
04-20-2006, 04:16 AM
If we were to package 3 picks to move up then why not just trade the 1st pick for Schaub?

DarrinNelsonguy
04-20-2006, 04:43 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I really don't want to trade up to get Young, I think that would be a big mistake, but the football people seem to know what they are doing. Good info there dbalke!

I am with you, the price would also be too high!

singersp
04-20-2006, 04:57 AM
"dbalke10" wrote:

"The Insider Contacts Me" by Mr. Cheer Or Die
On April 22 of last year, The Insider had e-mailed me with the top three players on the Vikings board for the first round selection. Since he had given me the scoop on Randy Moss just a few months earlier, I listened. After all the dust of the draft had settled, the Insider did not disappoint. He was spot on.

:scratch: The "Insider" is the "Ball Boy"?

LMAO! Does this guy ever quit?

ultravikingfan
04-20-2006, 05:00 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Thats splendid news right there, would definately accept VY as our new QB. Kinda upset he didnt reveal the other 2 names on the board.

If we get him and then trade him are you going to pick a new team?

:razz:

SharperVikings
04-20-2006, 05:00 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Thta would be one of the only moves that I would get extremely pissed off at. The reason is this, if we are gunning for Young, then we would have to package most of our picks in order to move up and get him in this years draft. He is not worth that many picks. We would be better off trading our 1 pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

I hope this is purely speculation at this point. I would hate to see the Vikes invest so much into a guy that is at best hit and miss.. He is big, has a good arm, and has great speed, but I don't think that Vince Young is the answer for the Viking's system.. This of course is just MO...

I DONT WANT VINCE YOUNG!

If Deangelo Williams, Sims and Greenway are gone before 17, I would offer our #1 pick for schaub.....even if cutler was available....if they decline then draft cutler...!

I even think that if Deangelo Williams isnt available...we should go for schaub, regardless of if Greenway or Sims are available...

To me, I think it is more important to have a good qb/rb, you build franchises around them! If we do trade our first rounder for schaub, we can get d'quell jackson or abdul hodge....and if we draft williams with our first round pick, we could draft them also! :lol:

ultravikingfan
04-20-2006, 05:02 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:

singersp
04-20-2006, 05:05 AM
"dbalke10" wrote:

"The Insider Contacts Me" by Mr. Cheer Or Die
On April 22 of last year, The Insider had e-mailed me with the top three players on the Vikings board for the first round selection. Since he had given me the scoop on Randy Moss just a few months earlier, I listened. After all the dust of the draft had settled, the Insider did not disappoint. He was spot on.

:scratch: The "Insider" is the "Ball Boy"?

LMAO! Does this guy ever quit? If he got a peek at the list, he should know what the rest of the list looks like, yet he only throws out one name.

Did any of you C.O.D. fans see his post last year throw out those same 3 names he's claiming this year he posted a year ago? :wink:

V4L
04-20-2006, 05:13 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (is sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.


LenDale is garbage.. Too fat.. Bad work ethics.. Product of the system

Maroney would be a better fit anyway.. Faster.. Just as strong.. Great work ethic.. Proved he can catch like a WR..


DeAngelo>> Maroney>> Addai>> Lendale

That crap on LenDale is media garbage ... it all just came out in the last couple monthes ... 59 TD's in his college career says it all and watch his game tape ... Pure monster hitting the hole and enough moves to make "D" miss.

Maroney dances in the hole Way too much ... he's the mirror image of Bennett. If there's a monster hole, he is gone. Otherwise, tackled in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

Also remember, I'm a huge Gopher fan and havn't missed watching a game the last 3 years.

I go:

Lendale >> DeAngelo >> Maroney >> Addai

Maroney danced alot less this past year.. He was known for that more early in his career.. It shows he is developing.. He would be a way better fit in the WCO then LenDale..

Lendale's TD total is wack too.. That's like saying Moe Williams is a stud cuz he had 11 TD's in 2003 or whatever..

But I guess im just a huge Maroney fan and see more of an upside :cool:

COJOMAY
04-20-2006, 05:34 AM
I respect your thought Singer! I think YOU are "spot-on!"

Mr. Purple
04-20-2006, 05:39 AM
I personally LOVE Vince Young, and I think hes simular to McNabb. I think thats a reason why we're hearin childress wants him. Look guys no matter what QB we get, we'll be in good hands. Childress knows exactly what hes doing with young QB's. Which ever QB it is will have the privlage to learn under Brad and Childress. Vince isnt overraited, he just gets alot of press for taking over the Rose Bowl. People say ..."well USC dosnt have a defense!!" yes they do, may not be number 1, but thier not to be looked over. I personally want Matt Lienart, and feel he would be the best fit here. But I realize he will be gone early early into the draft. So Vince is my second choice...Vince has alot of upside....he didnt just produce and play like that in the Rose Bowl. He had some great years at Texas, without any true "number 1" or "play maker" WR's.I vote yes to Vince Young.

Jeremy
04-20-2006, 05:40 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

Ltrey33
04-20-2006, 05:54 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

That still doesn't change the fact that Young and Gannon passed first and threw second. Not to mention the fact that when Gannon was successful at the end of his career he was more of a pocket style passer anyway.

Jeremy
04-20-2006, 06:03 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

That still doesn't change the fact that Young and Gannon passed first and threw second. Not to mention the fact that when Gannon was successful at the end of his career he was more of a pocket style passer anyway.There isn't a "run first" QB in the NFL. They all have more pass attempts than rushing attempts. Gannon and Young recieved the same criticisms coming out of college as Vince Young did.

enlvikeman
04-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Ok according to Mike Tice himself...with an interview with VU last year after the draft...Ronnie Brown was number #1 on their list. Nothing personal against the original poster but that kinda throws his "informants" speculations and theories out the window. We won't know till draft day. If I had to guess (and I hope), Atlanta will be picking with the 17th pick.

ZDoy379
04-20-2006, 06:32 AM
matt schaub is not worth the 1st rndr. unless u were talking about a trade with mike vick?

cajunvike
04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (is sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.


LenDale is garbage.. Too fat.. Bad work ethics.. Product of the system

Maroney would be a better fit anyway.. Faster.. Just as strong.. Great work ethic.. Proved he can catch like a WR..


DeAngelo>> Maroney>> Addai>> Lendale

I like that...except Addai might be an even better pro than Maroney will be...Tiger over Gopher! :lol:

And ZDoy...EJ has proven that he can't be the MLB because he can't cover TEs over the middle, so he has to play WLB. I want us to get Donnie Edwards...and groom D'Qwell for one of the three spots for the future...unless Dontarrious or Nap can get their butts in gear and play up to their potential.

cajunvike
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
"ZDoy379" wrote:

matt schaub is not worth the 1st rndr. unless u were talking about a trade with mike vick?

I don't want Schaub...we can get him or Brees NEXT YEAR without having to give up this year's first rounder. We will get by with Brad this year...he can still win games...especially if we surround him with enough talent.

enlvikeman
04-20-2006, 07:03 AM
"ZDoy379" wrote:

matt schaub is not worth the 1st rndr. unless u were talking about a trade with mike vick?

you are right of course...now i'm convinced.

Since it's obvious QB next to LB is the position of need for the Vikings let me ask you this. So let's say we take Cutler/Young at 17. Or Whitehurst, Croyle, Mcneil, Clemmings etc. in the later rounds. Each has never taken an nfl snap. Never proven anything other than they have good arm's, can take a beating, or can run fast. Each has never even made it through a training camp and grabbed a roster spot. Are they worth the 17th pick? Or 2nd or 3rd? I don't get this type of thinking...I just dont.

People do not want us to use the 17th pick on Schaub because it takes away the excitement of draft day for them. That's all it is! You have a QB who holds better collegiate records then almost all of the 2006 QB draft class. You have a QB who has a rocket for an arm, runs like a deer, is intelligent , familiar with the WCO, oh and by the way has been somewhat successfull in the short amount of times he's let on the field. There are over 7 teams who have coveted this guy since the 2005 season ended. Teams will not budge on the first rounder, but some team will, and hopefully it is us.

My buddy the (the Packer fan) a few years ago called met me at work and was furious that the Packers gave a first rounder to the Falcons. The QB the packers got was Favre. Who had limited playing action at the time. The same thing applies here. This is not a draft! The Vikings know that Schaub is a good QB with the potential to be great, as did the Packers with Favre. The draft is a crapshoot with QB's. Grabbing (in my opinion stealing) Schaub for the 17th pick is not a crapshoot. We know what we will be getting. The boy can play.

Like it matters anyway

Vikings use 17th pick for Schaub= Angry/Upset Viking Fans

Vikings move up to take Cutler= Angry/Upset Viking Fans

Vikings draft Ernie Sims= Angry/Upset Viking Fans

Vikings draft Chad Greenway= Angry/Upset Viking Fans

Vikings draft Deangelo Williams= Angry/Upset Viking fans

Vikings draft Reggie Bush and Vernon Davis = Angry/Upset Viking fans

ejmat
04-20-2006, 07:24 AM
My whole thing is if we are going to give up draft picks for a QB then just give up the 1 for Schaub. If we wait till the 2nd round then so be it. I would rather give up 1 draft pick for someone with experience then give up more than 1 draft pick for someone that has never played in the NFL.

Who know's what the collegiate QBs will be like? I think they all have good potential. The Vikings FO have to see is it worth giving up more than 1 draft pick to get them. That's why they are the professionals. If they do trade up to get one of them, I will live with it of course. At the time I won't agree with it but I will still be optomistic about it.

NDVikingFan66
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
The thing is, I don't wanna package up a bunch of picks for a QB that is going to be a flop. I would be happiest if any quality QB would be available at our draft slot. I like the idea of having multiple picks, so we can address multiple needs. I think we need a solid LB (or 2), as well as help in the secondary.

Looking at another young receiver may not be a bad idea either.

I think Taylor will be solid, and we should give him a chance this year to be our stud. If he falters, we go after a RB next year.

I am glad I don't have to decide what to do on draft day, because I guarantee that no matter what, fans will think wrong choices were made.

enlvikeman
04-20-2006, 08:14 AM
That's the thing...even if we have to give up our first to Atlanta we still have a deluge of picks in the draft. Why give up more draft picks to move up to take someone who could possible be a Leaf? This is what I do not understand when people say Schaub isn't worth a first rounder. So in short I agree with both of you. Picks are like gold. Even a 7th rounder.

PurplePumpkin
04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Schaub is not proven or had success?

shawn
04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
If we are going to make a move for a QB, I would rather trade the #1 for Schaub than package a ton of picks for Young. I just hope the "triangle" makes the right move.

Prophet
04-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Nothing is for sure until the ball boy and janitor verify it.

Deleted_User_7549
04-20-2006, 03:08 PM
YOUR VILLAGE IS OURS FOR THE PILLAGING! wHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Deleted_User_7547
04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
REAL VIKINGS DON'T WEAR SPANDEX!

whackthepack
04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:


running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

That still doesn't change the fact that Young and Gannon passed first and threw second. Not to mention the fact that when Gannon was successful at the end of his career he was more of a pocket style passer anyway.There isn't a "run first" QB in the NFL. They all have more pass attempts than rushing attempts. Gannon and Young recieved the same criticisms coming out of college as Vince Young did.


Vick is a running QB, he runs more than a NFL QB should and that is why he has a hard time staying on the field and that will be Vince Young. Why is it that running backs in the NFL average around a 4 year career? Because they take a beating and a running QB will suffer the same injuries.

Look what happened to Daunte, both of his major injuries came on running plays! When his back was broken, and this year with his knee being shredded. It is hard enough to chased and sacked by D-lineman but to go looking for it makes little since. A QB will have to run sometimes to get that 1st down and to keep the D honest but to be a running QB that is a big part of his game invites injuries. If you want a running threat then draft a damn good back but I would rather have a QB that is a better passer than he is a runner and only runs once in awhile.


Gannon and Young both ran but not like Vick or Vince Young. Jeremy aren't you the same guy that was telling me yesterday that Joe Montana was a running QB? When are you going to end this argument?

Deleted_User_7548
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM
REAL VIKINGS WEAR THE SKIN OF THEIR DEFEATED ENEMY

whackthepack
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
With all the turn-over at Winter Park if this "insider from Cheer or Die" had a contact they were probably fired and sent down the road!

I am not buying it, if they were so excited then about Vince Young then why did they have him visit when Childress and the coaching staff were on vacation?

Deleted_User_7553
04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
KRUHN! BY-TOR! RAPE HIM!

Deleted_User_7548
04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
http://svencentral.com/playmobil/vikings/images/large/IMG_7547.jpg

Zeus
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I really don't want to trade up to get Young, I think that would be a big mistake, but the football people seem to know what they are doing. Good info there dbalke!

You mean: "Good info there Mr. Cheer or Die and thanks for copying it to our site DBalke!"

Make sure the credit goes where it should go.

=Z=

boognish
04-20-2006, 04:26 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:



running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

That still doesn't change the fact that Young and Gannon passed first and threw second. Not to mention the fact that when Gannon was successful at the end of his career he was more of a pocket style passer anyway.There isn't a "run first" QB in the NFL. They all have more pass attempts than rushing attempts. Gannon and Young recieved the same criticisms coming out of college as Vince Young did.


Vick is a running QB, he runs more than a NFL QB should and that is why he has a hard time staying ion the field and that will be Vince Young. Why is it that running backs in the NFL average around a 4 year career? Because they take a beating and a running QB while suffer the same injuries.

Look what happened to Daunte, both of his major injuries came on running plays! When his back was broken, and this year with his knee being shredded. It is hard enough to chased and sacked by D-lineman but to go looking for it makes little since. A QB will have to run sometimes to get that 1st down and to keep the D honest but to be a running QB that is a big part of his game invites injuries. If you want a running threat then draft a gol 'darnit good back but I would rather have a QB that is a better passer than he is a runner and only runs once in awhile.


Gannon and Young both ran but not like Vick or Vince Young. Jeremy aren't you the same guy that was telling me yesterday that Joe Montana was a running QB? When are you going to end this argument?

For my money, Vince Young is the only QB of the top 3 even worth taking a chance on. He shows special ability and if you're going to gamble on a first round QB, which history has shown to be a bad idea, he would be the one to roll the dice on.

Unfortunately, of the last 43 QB's drafted in the first round, only 3 have led their teams to a SB. That being said, I certainly hope that the Vikes don't try to move up to get any one of the 3 over-hyped "top" QB's.

Snatch a LB in the first round and pick up a QB in the second. Whitehurst, O. Jacobs, and K. Clemens come to mind and will likely still be around.

tarkenton10
04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
And you chew the skin off your toe nails!!

boognish
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

And you chew the skin off your toe nails!!

Excuse me? Was that reply for me?

ChezPizmo
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
"Dagr" wrote:

YOUR VILLAGE IS OURS FOR THE PILLAGING! wHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

*claps*
Way to go on holding down shift with the caps lockn on, dumb@ss.

ejmat
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
For the people that say Schaub hasn't had success. The only thing I've heard to support that is his win-loss record (0-2) as a starter. These are the same people that say it is a team effort. I agree with the team effort. It takes 53 people to win and lose. Schaub has had success. Maybe not in the win-loss column but hey, neither has Pep (below .500). There's a reason why 6 other NFL teams are vying for him. I have mentioned before I've seen him play in person. He makes good decisions. He's poised in the pocket. Say what you want to about him but the fact is he is worth our 1st rounder if you are willing to give up our 1st rounder and more for a rookie QB. That would be my choice over sending all of our draft picks somewhere else. My second choice would be to wait till the 2nd round to get a QB. I wouldn't be entirely upset if we traded up for either Young or Leinart but it wouldn't be my 1st choice.

whackthepack
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
"Dagr" wrote:

YOUR VILLAGE IS OURS FOR THE PILLAGING! wHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?


He is busy kicking the sh*t out of the Packer god! OH wait, that can't be right the Packer's god is a hunk of cheese they wear on their heads! I guess he is busy getting laid!

boognish
04-20-2006, 05:02 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

For the people that say Schaub hasn't had success. The only thing I've heard to support that is his win-loss record (0-2) as a starter. These are the same people that say it is a team effort. I agree with the team effort. It takes 53 people to win and lose. Schaub has had success. Maybe not in the win-loss column but hey, neither has Pep (below .500). There's a reason why 6 other NFL teams are vying for him. I have mentioned before I've seen him play in person. He makes good decisions. He's poised in the pocket. Say what you want to about him but the fact is he is worth our 1st rounder if you are willing to give up our 1st rounder and more for a rookie QB. That would be my choice over sending all of our draft picks somewhere else. My second choice would be to wait till the 2nd round to get a QB. I wouldn't be entirely upset if we traded up for either Young or Leinart but it wouldn't be my 1st choice.

I agree that taking Shaub makes as much sense as trading picks to move up in the draft for one of the top 3 QB's. I think both are bad ideas, however. I hope the Vikes get a great LB in the first round and pick up a QB in the second.

mnguyinames
04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
highly unlikely that we trade up to get vince, but you never know. great talent that could lead us to a lombardi trophy, but we have bigger needs. our linebackers are still a little shaddy, sims from fsu or greenway from iowa would look great in purple. brodie croyle from bama in the second or third round would be a smarter spot to draft a qb. you always hate getting burned by drafting a lame duck qb in the first round, i hope it doesnt happen this year.

ZDoy379
04-20-2006, 11:42 PM
i hate the vikings choices at qb. its either gonna be brodie croyle of bama. charlie whitehurst of clemson. and kellen clemens of oregon. the one qb that i would like the most is omar jacobs from bowling green. but i know that we arent gonna take jacobs. the one i think were gonna take is whitehurtst because of his size. croyle and clemens are both 6-2 and whitehurst and jacobs are 6-4. i want jacobs not whitehurst. look at whitehurst's stats and compare them to jacobs'. there is no comparison. please vikings. help me out with this one and draft omar jacobs!

VikingPatrick
04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
After Lineart..... they all kinda stink!! If you think about it, we trade our # 1 (17 overall ) to Atlanta for Schaub, we then get a QB thats been on an NFL team for 2 years, 2 training camps, on the field with live bullets as apposed to taking some wanna be that might never pan out. We still then have 4 picks in the next 2 rounds (barring trades ) to get potential starters including a linebacker, running back and safety, not necessarliy in that order. Considering everything else this team has done recently (no Moss, Cullpepper, Burleson,Bennett to name a few ) So why not take a chance...How much worse can it get?????

ZDoy379
04-21-2006, 12:45 AM
viking patrick look at omar jacobs' stats and tell me what you think about him.

wyorob
04-21-2006, 01:09 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Thta would be one of the only moves that I would get extremely pissed off at. The reason is this, if we are gunning for Young, then we would have to package most of our picks in order to move up and get him in this years draft. He is not worth that many picks. We would be better off trading our 1 pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

I hope this is purely speculation at this point. I would hate to see the Vikes invest so much into a guy that is at best hit and miss.. He is big, has a good arm, and has great speed, but I don't think that Vince Young is the answer for the Viking's system.. This of course is just MO...

Yup! I would be pissed off also

collegeguyjeff
04-21-2006, 01:23 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"dbalke10" wrote:

"The Insider Contacts Me" by Mr. Cheer Or Die
On April 22 of last year, The Insider had e-mailed me with the top three players on the Vikings board for the first round selection. Since he had given me the scoop on Randy Moss just a few months earlier, I listened. After all the dust of the draft had settled, the Insider did not disappoint. He was spot on.

:scratch: The "Insider" is the "Ball Boy"?

LMAO! Does this guy ever quit? If he got a peek at the list, he should know what the rest of the list looks like, yet he only throws out one name.

Did any of you C.O.D. fans see his post last year throw out those same 3 names he's claiming this year he posted a year ago? :wink:

it was kinda obvious the vikings wanted a receiver, and everyone knew the order of the top 3 receivers last year.

collegeguyjeff
04-21-2006, 01:25 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:


running qb's DO NOT make it in the nfl. they may win early but they can't take you to the promised land.cough....Steve Young.....cough

cough...cough...cough....you may want to check out his career passing before you choke. He was a passer that could run. Not a runner who could pass. Huge difference. :wink:The Bucs wanted to convert Steve Young to a RB before he went to San Francisco. New England tried to do the same with Rich Gannon.

Vince Young can pass. He is a dual threat, not just a runner. The real scrambling QB of this draft is Reggie McNeal. He ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and his passing numbers leave something to be desired.

That still doesn't change the fact that Young and Gannon passed first and threw second. Not to mention the fact that when Gannon was successful at the end of his career he was more of a pocket style passer anyway.There isn't a "run first" QB in the NFL. They all have more pass attempts than rushing attempts. Gannon and Young recieved the same criticisms coming out of college as Vince Young did.

vick is run first cause his passes don't go to anyone

VikingPatrick
04-21-2006, 01:27 AM
zdoy379
I will say that Omar Jacobs has fine "collage" stats...they all do.
But does the name Akili Smith ring a bell? Taking a QB is such a gamble and by the time Omar might be ready to play, 2 years might have passed, and there is still be no guarentee. If the Vikes take him or anyone of the other 2nd tier QB's, it will be a project. We will need to cross our fingers and hope the kid has a strong work ethic, some brains, and hope to god that if he does achieve any success, that it does NOT go to his head and become the Money Grubbing EGO Maniac athelete of todays world!!!

Purple Floyd
04-21-2006, 01:35 AM
All QB's are a gamble. I would never package picks to get one and i would be very hesitant to trade a #1 for a QB who has never been the #1 QB on the team.

Some years back Miami had a backup for Marino, I forget his name(That says something about his success right there) who filled in and did well enough to become a hot prospect and Detroit traded for him to salvage their franchise. He never panned out either.(Although he did go to Detroit and who besides Sanders has panned out there?)

In the WCO you need a QB that can read defenses and throw the intermediate passes accurately. Running is not as much of a benefit as being where you are supposed to be so your line knows where to move their opponent.

Build a killer defense, get a great offensive line, find any QB who can complete a 15 yard pass consistently and a few receivers who can run a route and catch the ball and you can win a SB. Add to that a good quality RB that doesn't dance around in the backfield.

Formo
04-21-2006, 01:44 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

All QB's are a gamble. I would never package picks to get one and i would be very hesitant to trade a #1 for a QB who has never been the #1 QB on the team.

Some years back Miami had a backup for Marino, I forget his name(That says something about his success right there) who filled in and did well enough to become a hot prospect and Detroit traded for him to salvage their franchise. He never panned out either.(Although he did go to Detroit and who besides Sanders has panned out there?)

In the WCO you need a QB that can read defenses and throw the intermediate passes accurately. Running is not as much of a benefit as being where you are supposed to be so your line knows where to move their opponent.

Build a killer defense, get a great offensive line, find any QB who can complete a 15 yard pass consistently and a few receivers who can run a route and catch the ball and you can win a SB. Add to that a good quality RB that doesn't dance around in the backfield.

Are you talking about Jay Fielder? The ex-Viking backup before he went to Miami? I don't recall him playing for the Lions afterwards, although I could be mistaking.

CrazyVikingsFan
04-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I think this guy might be related to the ball boy because they really kno how to get the info!!!

Slade
04-21-2006, 01:52 AM
"Formo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

All QB's are a gamble. I would never package picks to get one and i would be very hesitant to trade a #1 for a QB who has never been the #1 QB on the team.

Some years back Miami had a backup for Marino, I forget his name(That says something about his success right there) who filled in and did well enough to become a hot prospect and Detroit traded for him to salvage their franchise. He never panned out either.(Although he did go to Detroit and who besides Sanders has panned out there?)

In the WCO you need a QB that can read defenses and throw the intermediate passes accurately. Running is not as much of a benefit as being where you are supposed to be so your line knows where to move their opponent.


Build a killer defense, get a great offensive line, find any QB who can complete a 15 yard pass consistently and a few receivers who can run a route and catch the ball and you can win a SB. Add to that a good quality RB that doesn't dance around in the backfield.

Are you talking about Jay Fielder? The ex-Viking backup before he went to Miami? I don't recall him playing for the Lions afterwards, although I could be mistaking.

~ I think he means Scott Mitchell

VikingPatrick
04-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Scott Mitchell is the BUM you are referring to!!
Look at Rob Johnson as well...a couple of good games and Buffalo signed him to mega bucks...wheres he now...I think he's the mop boy at sex world!!

Slade
04-21-2006, 01:58 AM
JP Losman will end up in the same place as Rob Johnson & AJ Feely

V4L
04-21-2006, 02:01 AM
"purplepride818" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

I actually hope we trade up for him. I don't want Leinart, who will probably never be a Pro-bowl QB, Cutler's fine, because he has a lot of potential (proven winner, not exactly), but Young is who I really want to lead us, he has the potential to be a Steve McNair, a John Elway, a Randle Cunningham, or a Donovan McNabb. Now I don't know about you guys, but I would take any one of those guys to lead my team (in their prime of course).


yeah but only 1 of those guys you listed has won a superbowl. and elway had a great D and even better RB. no way i want vince young on my team

Cunningham would have but coaching SUCKKKKKKEDDD.. And the team choked..

McNabb just choked..

McNair would have had one but was like a half yard short..


Young shows poise and is calm and confident under pressure

Formo
04-21-2006, 08:04 AM
"Slade" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

All QB's are a gamble. I would never package picks to get one and i would be very hesitant to trade a #1 for a QB who has never been the #1 QB on the team.

Some years back Miami had a backup for Marino, I forget his name(That says something about his success right there) who filled in and did well enough to become a hot prospect and Detroit traded for him to salvage their franchise. He never panned out either.(Although he did go to Detroit and who besides Sanders has panned out there?)

In the WCO you need a QB that can read defenses and throw the intermediate passes accurately. Running is not as much of a benefit as being where you are supposed to be so your line knows where to move their opponent.


Build a killer defense, get a great offensive line, find any QB who can complete a 15 yard pass consistently and a few receivers who can run a route and catch the ball and you can win a SB. Add to that a good quality RB that doesn't dance around in the backfield.

Are you talking about Jay Fielder? The ex-Viking backup before he went to Miami? I don't recall him playing for the Lions afterwards, although I could be mistaking.

~ I think he means Scott Mitchell

OOOOH my goodness! I forgot about him! Yeah, I remember him.. Almost kinda liked him. I remember one year (I think the year the Packers won the SuperBowl) in the QB Challenge, Mitchell took 2nd place, only because he kicked everyone's asses on the accuracy challenge.

audioghost
04-21-2006, 10:14 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:


#17)DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
#48)D'Qwell Jackson LB Maryland
#51)Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
i wouldnt mind that draft at all. but dont we already have EJ for the ILB and we need an outside or will EJ stick to OLB after moving to it last year because of Cowart at the ILB. Therefore we'll have E.J. Henderson, D'Qwell, Napoleon Harris for our LB's.


Lendale White (is sims is gone)
D'Qwell Jackson
Max Jean-Gilles
BRODIE BABY !!! Love this guy ... tough, cannon of an arm, and smart.


LenDale is garbage.. Too fat.. Bad work ethics.. Product of the system

Maroney would be a better fit anyway.. Faster.. Just as strong.. Great work ethic.. Proved he can catch like a WR..


DeAngelo>> Maroney>> Addai>> Lendale

That crap on LenDale is media garbage ... it all just came out in the last couple monthes ... 59 TD's in his college career says it all and watch his game tape ... Pure monster hitting the hole and enough moves to make "D" miss.

Maroney dances in the hole Way too much ... he's the mirror image of Bennett. If there's a monster hole, he is gone. Otherwise, tackled in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.

Also remember, I'm a huge Gopher fan and havn't missed watching a game the last 3 years.

I go:

Lendale >> DeAngelo >> Maroney >> Addai


Remember, people used to think the same of the "Bus" early on in his career...

Zeus
04-21-2006, 06:22 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Remember, people used to think the same of the "Bus" early on in his career...

Not if they saw him play for Notre Dame.

=Z=

thanatoschristou
04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
The insider must be a prophet because it seems as Wilf does not know who they are going to draft.

seaniemck7
04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
"thanatoschristou" wrote:

The insider must be a prophet because it seems as Wilf does not know who they are going to draft.

I don't think he is claiming who we will draft. He is claiming who is the top talent on their board that they could "Possibly" get. Just as Ronnie Brown was at the top of our list last year. He was likely to be drafted by the time our selection came up, but you have to be prepared for what can shake out when the picks start coming off the board.

Pretty Boy Leinfart will definitely not fall out of the top 3 picks, but its possible for Culter or Young to fall around 10 or so (Can you say Aaron Rogers?) The claim that Young is on the top of our talent board means that the Vikes would make a run at him if he gets in our range of pain for making a move.

Ltrey33
04-21-2006, 08:14 PM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

"thanatoschristou" wrote:

The insider must be a prophet because it seems as Wilf does not know who they are going to draft.

I don't think he is claiming who we will draft. He is claiming who is the top talent on their board that they could "Possibly" get. Just as Ronnie Brown was at the top of our list last year. He was likely to be drafted by the time our selection came up, but you have to be prepared for what can shake out when the picks start coming off the board.

Pretty Boy Leinfart will definitely not fall out of the top 3 picks, but its possible for Culter or Young to fall around 10 or so (Can you say Aaron Rogers?) The claim that Young is on the top of our talent board means that the Vikes would make a run at him if he gets in our range of pain for making a move.

The same guy claims that Braylon Edwards was at the top of our board last year with T-Will second.

DaunteHOF
04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
8 more days till the draft, can not wait.

Navycoach
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey all, I know I haven't posted much lately . . . busy busy at work recently. Only really had time to browse around a little and take a look at some of your thoughts.

Anyways, was snooping around ESPN today and found Mel's Big Board. Very interesting reading . . . he has Jay Cutler falling to #20 in the draft. If that happens, should we grab him at 17? What are your thoughts . . . my apologies if this is a repeat post. Here's the link:

Mel's Big Board (http://insider.espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmelkiper%2findex.html)

V4L
04-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Yah Cutler at 17th would be awesome

VikingPatrick
04-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I think its a safe bet the Vikes do not have the "grapefruits" nor the ammo to move up and take one of the top 3 and thats fine by me.
They are all a risk.
For every Aikman there is a Leaf, For every Bledsoe there is a Mirer.
Some question trading for Schaub...but think about for a min...
Wasnt there this guy sitting on the bench in Atlanta a long time ago that the cheesheads traded for? Yeah I know we dont mention that A-hole around here, but you cant deny he's had a "decent" career.
They gave up a # 1 to get him not really knowing what the future held.
Why cant we roll the bones and take a shot....ya never know???

MaxVike
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Just Say No to Vince Young...as a 'Huskers fan, believe me, I know how talented he is...I just see a big Michael Vick; takes too much time to be a great passer if you aren't already. Stay where you are, take Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway or Tye Hill as #1 pick then follow-up with a coachable QB prospect like Whitehurst. However, if DeAngelo Williams is available at #1...grab him and don't look back.

PurplePeopleEaters
04-21-2006, 11:26 PM
"Navycoach" wrote:

Hey all, I know I haven't posted much lately . . . busy busy at work recently. Only really had time to browse around a little and take a look at some of your thoughts.

Anyways, was snooping around ESPN today and found Mel's Big Board. Very interesting reading . . . he has Jay Cutler falling to #20 in the draft. If that happens, should we grab him at 17? What are your thoughts . . . my apologies if this is a repeat post. Here's the link:

Mel's Big Board (http://insider.espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmelkiper%2findex.html)

If he pulls an aaron rodgers you have to draft him. If you miss out on the overhyped player to pick a less hyped player the fan base will be angry. If he turns out to be a bust you can't blame a coaching staff for not knowing that and missing out on the next Cris Carter or Barry Sanders.

Make the fan base happy, pick the player with lots of hype if he falls. I mean, he has to be hyped for a reason.