PDA

View Full Version : Offord arrested for DUI!

KWILL93
04-19-2006, 06:17 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/378798.html

I wonder if this violates the code of conduct?

ZDoy379
04-19-2006, 06:18 AM
it probably does but we got tank williams anyways now. is he really only digned for one year. if he is we better resign him.

V4L
04-19-2006, 06:23 AM
This sounds kind of bad.. But i'm gonna say this is "ok news"

Obviously it's not good.. But I want Tank to start..

I don't know what im saying!!

Json
04-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Is any one else sick of defending the Minnesota Viking players?

Every fricken time I turn around another Viking player is in trouble. It gets old defending these guys. Thanks Offord!

PurplePeopleEaters
04-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Why can't people just stay out of trouble. C'mon Offord. We tried to clean up the organization so that talented players wouldn't do stupid stuff.

ultravikingfan
04-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Better than a party boat sex scandal!

BadlandsVikings
04-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Players from all teams have troubles not just the Vikes, but yeah it does look bad.

SheyD11285
04-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Tank

jargomcfargo
04-19-2006, 06:31 AM
I will support him.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 06:32 AM
HE'S GONE !!! I'm glad, the dudes taking up space, all he's done is LIMP around the last couple years, well .. he's a decent special teamer, when he's not hurt. AND for all you clowns who said get rid of ONTERRIO, I'd rather get caught with a whizzanator , than flying down the freeway ripped, trying to be like LEONARD LITTLE , CUT HIS JIGGLY BUTT NOW.

WinonaVike
04-19-2006, 06:37 AM
"norseforce" wrote:

HE'S GONE !!! I'm glad, the dudes taking up space, all he's done is LIMP around the last couple years, well .. he's a decent special teamer, when he's not hurt. AND for all you clowns who said get rid of ONTERRIO, I'd rather get caught with a whizzanator , than flying down the freeway ripped, trying to be like LEONARD LITTLE , CUT HIS JIGGLY BUTT NOW.

I wouldnt go as far as to say hes gone...he made a mistake yes. Everyone deserves a second chance, after all it is his first off the field offense. I like offord myself, i dont think this is a reason to cut him.

Vikefanman2000
04-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Special teams captain....someone that the "kids" look up to on the team.... I would like to see them let the court settle this out....and if the facts are correct, CUT HIM IMMEDIATELY, then send out a message to the rest of the team that nobody on THIS team gets a free pass anymore.... Of course the danger of that is meaning it..... If you say it, you better do it...regardless of the player involved.

Its a pretty sad situation though.... I guess his extension signing bonus wasnt enough for cab fare huh?

Jeremy
04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
"norseforce" wrote:

HE'S GONE !!! I'm glad, the dudes taking up space, all he's done is LIMP around the last couple years, well .. he's a decent special teamer, when he's not hurt. AND for all you clowns who said get rid of ONTERRIO, I'd rather get caught with a whizzanator , than flying down the freeway ripped, trying to be like LEONARD LITTLE , CUT HIS JIGGLY BUTT NOW.Then we must be fair and cut Tank Williams as well. He was arrested in Feburary for a DUI.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 07:00 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"norseforce" wrote:

HE'S GONE !!! I'm glad, the dudes taking up space, all he's done is LIMP around the last couple years, well .. he's a decent special teamer, when he's not hurt. AND for all you clowns who said get rid of ONTERRIO, I'd rather get caught with a whizzanator , than flying down the freeway ripped, trying to be like LEONARD LITTLE , CUT HIS JIGGLY BUTT NOW.Then we must be fair and cut Tank Williams as well. He was arrested in Feburary for a DUI. Where in the VALHALLA did you come up with CUT TANK. I dont think TANK was wearing the purple in feb. so it wasn't ZYGI'S problem then. so is this what the younger guys lookup to? it's just THE WORST timing, and it's a selfish attitude,

SWAYZE74
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
ugh...i dont get it when pro athletes get DUIs...i mean really, you make millions of dollars and you cant get a personal driver or heaven forbid you call a taxi...

peace...

norseforce
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
tank is a baller...offord is a bombout, built like tarzan and plays like JANE

Jeremy
04-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Well if Offord is cut and Tank is not then we have a double standard reguarding treatment of our players.

ThorSPL
04-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Innocent till proven guilty
Remember that

Granted he obviously got pullsed over for SOMETHING but....

WinonaVike
04-19-2006, 07:41 AM
"norseforce" wrote:

tank is a baller...offord is a bombout, built like tarzan and plays like JANE

Offord has played pretty decent when given a chance, remember the playoff game in Green Bay, i sure do. He also plays very solid special teams, something that cannot be overlooked.

cajunvike
04-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Fine him if it's his first offense...then tell him if he does it again, he's gone!!!

midgensa
04-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Give him a warning and move on ... DUI's happen to a lot of people that are not bad guys or gals ... just had a little more than they should and got stupid ... dont do it again though WOff ... or you are gone!

PurplePumpkin
04-19-2006, 07:59 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Fine him if it's his first offense...then tell him if he does it again, he's gone!!!

and give him extra public service!

singersp
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I'll wait til the details come out before passing judgement. The BAC in MN is .08 & people don't realize how few drinks it takes to get reach it.

People drive over the lealal limit everyday & don't even realize it.

Just because he got a DUI, doesn't necessarily mean he was shit-faced or falling down drunk or weaving all over the road.

twiztedfait
04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I will also hold judgement on this. Untill we know his BAC there is really no way to know if he had 1 beer to many, or 5 to many. .081 is a DUI and so is .250. There is a big difference between the 2.

In the grand scheme of things a DUI is a rather small offence. For your 1st one you get some community service and mabye a small fine. Cutting him would be going a little overboard untill we know the details.

my 2c

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 03:05 PM
"Jeremy" wrote:

Well if Offord is cut and Tank is not then we have a double standard reguarding treatment of our players.

How is that a double standard if Tank Williams wasn't a member of the Vikings football team? It's not, so stop being a drama queen.

Lets break this down.

Offord got a DUI while under contract.
Tank Williams did not.

Fallacy is bad mmmmkay....

V4L
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
"twiztedfait" wrote:

I will also hold judgement on this. Untill we know his BAC there is really no way to know if he had 1 beer to many, or 5 to many. .081 is a DUI and so is .250. There is a big difference between the 2.

In the grand scheme of things a DUI is a rather small offence. For your 1st one you get some community service and mabye a small fine. Cutting him would be going a little overboard untill we know the details.

my 2c

I don't care if he had 1 sip of Boone's Farm and drove.. He drank and drove..

He got busted for it.. And he is gonna pay for it

No need to drink and drive.. No matter how much it is

Ltrey33
04-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Man, a DUI? That sucks! Thankfully it was only a misdemeanor, but I still hate to see our guys in trouble.

Webbigale2002
04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Does it ever stop with these guys?!?! My God.

FTFXR
04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I don't think anyone could die from what happened on that boat. Drunk drivers kill people.

NodakPaul
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Yep. Everybody makes mistakes. Willie hasn't been in trouble before, so everyone who is calling for him to be cut is really overreacting. If ti happens again, then a pattern may be forming, and more serious action will be taken. I expect the punishment from the Vikings to be consistant with the code of conduct they signed.

BTW, when I saw the title of this thread, I was sure that it was just another one of Prophet's jokes, and it was going to say that John Offord from Portland, Maine got arrested for DUI. But I decided to click on it anyway to be sure... :shock:

Bruvikes
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I can't wait for the season to start so we can get on with football. Everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill. Cut him? Let's be realistic--What's next cutting them for a speeding ticket? There just people like you and me, granted they get paid alot of money but there still human. Let the law take care of his fine and let him pay for it that way and be done with it. All of you that are saying cut him better examine your own life first. I know for one that I have driven when I shouldn't have and have been lucky but if I did get caught which would be about 3 beers in a hour should I lose my job? I'm glad your not my boss.

alpineaquatics
04-19-2006, 04:24 PM
We should of kept Dante around to be his desigated driver.

Chilldress = Discipline

Set the standard.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
yes BRUVIKE you would lose your job ,thats right CUT HIS useless butt. how does a speeding ticket compare with DRUNK DRIVING ? so go take your 3 beers and be thankfull I'm not your boss.

NodakPaul
04-19-2006, 04:54 PM
"norseforce" wrote:

yes BRUVIKE you would lose your job ,thats right CUT HIS useless butt. how does a speeding ticket compare with DRUNK DRIVING ? so go take your 3 beers and be thankfull I'm not your boss.

Sorry norseforce, but in the real world people don't lose their jobs because they get a DUI on their off time. :roll: I am not even sure if it would be legal to fire somebody for misconduct outside the work place unless it caused some type of detrement to the office or other employees.

I don't condone drunk driving, but I also realize that I am far from perfect, and have pleanty of mistakes in my life too. I attribute this one act of stupidity to a mistake. Let the law and the Vikings worry about what kind of punishment to give him, and we can go on arguing about important things like uniforms and quarterbacks. :grin:

PurpleAndy
04-19-2006, 04:58 PM

I think you'd have to be at least 16 to enjoy gainful employment in this great nation of ours.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
no you cant lose your job ,BUT when your a PRO ATHLETE ,in the public eye, be a little more responsible. so what a great example, what great timing, what a cool leader of this team, buy the way , he's not even that good, shouldnt he be at the gym working his sorry butt into playing shape, maybe this is why he's always HURT ... nice off season traing program ...

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"norseforce" wrote:

Sorry norseforce, but in the real world people don't lose their jobs because they get a DUI on their off time. :roll: I am not even sure if it would be legal to fire somebody for misconduct outside the work place unless it caused some type of detrement to the office or other employees.

I don't condone drunk driving, but I also realize that I am far from perfect, and have pleanty of mistakes in my life too. I attribute this one act of stupidity to a mistake. Let the law and the Vikings worry about what kind of punishment to give him, and we can go on arguing about important things like uniforms and quarterbacks. :grin:

I know I can be fired for getting a DUI. I can get fired for being arrested. Also if you work for the IRS when you first start you sign a paper basically stating if you do anything that can shine negative light on the IRS you can be fired. I filled out the same paper when I was hired here. I can't say if that is accurate for ALL government branches. It is true for the Department of Treasury and the Department of Defense.

As far as Bruvikes saying he was lucky he didn't get caught.....I would say your lucky you didn't hurt or even kill some innocent person because you were too god damn stupid to get a designated driver.

I have absolutely no sympathy for people who drive drunk and risk other people. Risk the life of someone elses family member. A father, a mother, a child. If you drive drunk and you die, thats Darwin baby.

If you drive drunk and hurt someone else then you should be shot in the face. You say you had three beers, but then say you were lucky......regardless of how you "feel" if you blow above the legal limit your not safe to be driving.

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 05:09 PM
It all depends on the code of conduct, and yes normal real world jobs can include that in their own code of conduct and not face legal reprimand.

VikesfaninWis
04-19-2006, 05:14 PM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

Special teams captain....someone that the "kids" look up to on the team.... I would like to see them let the court settle this out....and if the facts are correct, CUT HIM IMMEDIATELY, then send out a message to the rest of the team that nobody on THIS team gets a free pass anymore.... Of course the danger of that is meaning it..... If you say it, you better do it...regardless of the player involved.

Its a pretty sad situation though.... I guess his extension signing bonus wasnt enough for cab fare huh?

How in the hell do you have my sig in your post? You better get it off now..

norseforce
04-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I live in calif. clean swimming pools , if I lose my lic. for drunk driving their goes my job.

twiztedfait
04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I agree with you that there is no need to drink and drive. The most I will have is 1 beer and I will still wait at least an hour before driving. If my kids are with me I don't drink at all.

I just see a big difference with being slightly over the limit and being fall down drunk. I know he is a role model and kids look up to him, but people make mistakes. If he owns up to his mistake he should not lose his job over this IMHO. If I got a DUI I would not get fired, Hell I can have a beer on my lunch if my boss says it is ok.

Let the system do its work. When details are released then make a decision based on the information provided. I know being famous has special rules attached to it. Most of the time the rules are unfair. Joe blow gets a DUI and he continues working, pays a fine and works at the local fire house on weekends for 2 months. Someone like offord gets nailed with a DUI he looses his job, pays a fine, works at the local fire house on weekends for 2 months, and gets blasted by the media.

People make mistakes. It is unfair that the rules are "different" for people that have a different status label. He made a bad choice in his time away from work. It should not affect his ability to keep his job. It may because of his fame, I just think it is unfair.

VikesfaninWis
04-19-2006, 05:21 PM
"singersp" wrote:

I'll wait til the details come out before passing judgement. The BAC in MN is .08 & people don't realize how few drinks it takes to get reach it.

People drive over the lealal limit everyday & don't even realize it.

Just because he got a DUI, doesn't necessarily mean he was pooh-faced or falling down drunk or weaving all over the road.

I agree.. I just don't have remorse for people who drink and drive.. Maybe he shouldn't get cut, but he shouldn't have the chance to start either. Let Tank have the job like he would have anyways.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 05:23 PM
LEONARD LITTLE , RAMS JUST A COUPLE YEARS AGO, GOT DRUNK AND KILLED A WOMEN,MOTHER,WIFE,DAUGHTER

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
"twiztedfait" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I agree with you that there is no need to drink and drive. The most I will have is 1 beer and I will still wait at least an hour before driving. If my kids are with me I don't drink at all.

I just see a big difference with being slightly over the limit and being fall down drunk. I know he is a role model and kids look up to him, but people make mistakes. If he owns up to his mistake he should not lose his job over this IMHO. If I got a DUI I would not get fired, Hell I can have a beer on my lunch if my boss says it is ok.

Let the system do its work. When details are released then make a decision based on the information provided. I know being famous has special rules attached to it. Most of the time the rules are unfair. Joe blow gets a DUI and he continues working, pays a fine and works at the local fire house on weekends for 2 months. Someone like offord gets nailed with a DUI he looses his job, pays a fine, works at the local fire house on weekends for 2 months, and gets blasted by the media.

People make mistakes. It is unfair that the rules are "different" for people that have a different status label. He made a bad choice in his time away from work. It should not affect his ability to keep his job.

I have never said he should be fired but I will say that it is not "unfair"

He is in the buisiness of entertaining people, putting people in the seats. He represents the NFL, and the Vikings so if he does anything to damage that image he is risking his career.

Just like my example of the Internal Revenue service. If people think the IRS hires drunks....thats bad for the IRS and you are gone.

It's not a double standard. It comes with the job.

NodakPaul
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It all depends on the code of conduct, and yes normal real world jobs can include that in their own code of conduct and not face legal reprimand.

Yes, normal real world jobs can include that. But in my personal experience, most do not.

"norseforce" wrote:

I live in calif. clean swimming pools , if I lose my lic. for drunk driving their goes my job.

Most states have a provision that allow you to keep your license for work purposes if this is your first offense. California is one of them.

If you have a non-commercial driver license and you show proof of enrollment in a DUI treatment program, file proof of financial responsibility and pay (on or after January 1, 2003) a $125 reissue fee after a mandatory 30-day suspension, you may request a restricted license to drive to and from the DUI treatment program and/or to, from, and during work. The reissue fee remains at $100 if you were under age 21 and were suspended under the Zero Tolerance Law pursuant to Vehicle Code §§23136, 13353.1, 13388, 13392.(Link) (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/driversafety/dsadminvscriminal.htm#restr)

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Yes, normal real world jobs can include that. But in my personal experience, most do not.

"norseforce" wrote:

Most states have a provision that allow you to keep your license for work purposes if this is your first offense. California is one of them.

If you have a non-commercial driver license and you show proof of enrollment in a DUI treatment program, file proof of financial responsibility and pay (on or after January 1, 2003) a $125 reissue fee after a mandatory 30-day suspension, you may request a restricted license to drive to and from the DUI treatment program and/or to, from, and during work. The reissue fee remains at $100 if you were under age 21 and were suspended under the Zero Tolerance Law pursuant to Vehicle Code §§23136, 13353.1, 13388, 13392.(Link) (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/driversafety/dsadminvscriminal.htm#restr)

Yes and in my experience they do. Hence the post.

norseforce
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"norseforce" wrote:

If you have a non-commercial driver license and you show proof of enrollment in a DUI treatment program, file proof of financial responsibility and pay (on or after January 1, 2003) a $125 reissue fee after a mandatory 30-day suspension, you may request a restricted license to drive to and from the DUI treatment program and/or to, from, and during work. The reissue fee remains at $100 if you were under age 21 and were suspended under the Zero Tolerance Law pursuant to Vehicle Code §§23136, 13353.1, 13388, 13392.(Link) (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/driversafety/dsadminvscriminal.htm#restr) THANKS NODAK thats some good info, but the thing that scares me is the damage and greif that I could cause someone for driving drunk, and after a 30 day mandatory suspension of my lic. all my customers would have found other pool men

NodakPaul
04-19-2006, 05:59 PM
"norseforce" wrote:

THANKS NODAK thats some good info, but the thing that scares me is the damage and greif that I could cause someone for driving drunk, and after a 30 day mandatory suspension of my lic. all my customers would have found other pool men

I agree with you there. I really don't condone drinking and driving, and I hope I didn't imply that. I think it is stupid and dangerous. I worked for a police officer for seven years, and in that time I learned the unfortunate truth that drunk drivers kill innocent people. However, I also learned that even the best of us can make mistakes, and I refuse to call for Offord's head on his first offense. I don't see him getting cut for this, nor do I think he should. If the Vikings management disagrees with me, then so be it. Heck, I want Tank to be the starter anyway.

Json
04-19-2006, 06:18 PM
everyone thinks it's ok to drive drunk now? Whats going on?

If this man would have hit another driver and injured someone or worst case scenario kill another person because he was not being responsible I think the tune would sound a little diffrent.

Now I know he didn't kill or injure anyone but it happens all over the U.S. on a daily basis. He needs to grow up and get his act together. He is suppose to be a role model in the community and if this is OK by most people in here then I feel like these types of acts will continue because our society don't care so why should they?

I am gettting tired of defending players and there stupid acts. Be a role model not an idiot.

Del Rio
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
"Json" wrote:

everyone thinks it's ok to drive drunk now? Whats going on?

If this man would have hit another driver and injured someone or worst case scenario kill another person because he was not being responsible I think the tune would sound a little diffrent.

Now I know he didn't kill or injure anyone but it happens all over the U.S. on a daily basis. He needs to grow up and get his act together. He is suppose to be a role model in the community and if this is OK by most people in here then I feel like these types of acts will continue because our society don't care so why should they?

I am gettting tired of defending players and there stupid acts. Be a role model not an idiot.

I don't think anyone was saying it is ok. I think they were just saying that firing the guy was a bit over the top.

Gift
04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Lets see,

Taxi
$30

DUI
$2000
loss of license
risk of death

My research concludes that he's an idiot, but firing him for it would be silly.

ultravikingfan
04-19-2006, 07:55 PM
"FTFXR" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I don't think anyone could die from what happened on that boat. Drunk drivers kill people.

I disagree.

Horny drunk people die all the time on boats. Sporting "wood" on a boat that is moving from side to side from the waves causes many to fall overboard each year. What a horrible death. I mean, who wants to drown in the middle of a lake with a woody? Not me.

(in case you may not have noticed from my first post that you replied to, and if you knew me like most here, you would know that I was kidding. I guess I will have to use more smileys next time)

NodakPaul
04-19-2006, 08:07 PM
"Gift" wrote:

Lets see,

Taxi
$30

DUI
$2000
loss of license
risk of death

Well put.

Slade
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
another black eye to the Vikes organization

ultravikingfan
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
"Slade" wrote:

I wouldn't say that. DUI's happen so much that they have kinda lost their effect on an organization.

Slade
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Slade" wrote:

I wouldn't say that. DUI's happen so much that they have kinda lost their effect on an organization.

~ Yeah, but it sucks thats its reported on the same day that Moe's trial starts. Most of the news regarding the Vikes today is negative

Prophet
04-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Excerpt from KFFL:

KFFL
Vikings | Police and courts: W. Offord
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:04:15 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings S Willie Offord was arrested and charged with drunken driving early Tuesday morning, April 18, according to a spokesman for the Minnesota State Patrol. Offord's blood alcohol content was not available Tuesday, but he was charged with misdemeanor fourth-degree drunken driving, which means it was less than .20. He was assigned an April 26 appearance at Hennepin County Ridgedale Court.

PurpleRide
04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Oh well. It happens everyday.

VKG4LFE
04-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Stupid athlete!

farvathevikinglover
04-20-2006, 01:53 AM
It's unfortunate, but it definitely could've been a lot worse.

KWILL93
04-20-2006, 03:03 AM
the thing that people have to remember is that its wrong no matter who does it. But the fact that he is an athelete makes it even that much bigger of a story, add into it the fact the he plays for the vikes who the media is just looking for a new story only adds to. I think if it was not for the boat scandal it would be reported but not made into as huge of a deal.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 03:09 AM
It was a 4th degree misdemeanor I believe. I don't support this kind of decision making, but it's not a HUGE deal. Why when he is in a position to win a starting spot on the future super bowl champs (please) would he go do something like this.

I'm not much of a drinker being only 15 (you'd be surprised how many people my age are), so I've never driven at all tipsy. I do know that it's dangerous and that millions of kids (myself included) would love to have the talent and oppurtunity to be a professional athlete, and he just can't throw away the chance.

umaguma1979
04-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Sounds like Childress has his players under control.. the season has not even started......it just bewilders me how Tice used to get blamed for not having his guys under control. Point is.......coaches are paid to coach and what players do away from the field cannot be controled.

jkjuggalo
04-20-2006, 03:39 AM
I don't see why getting a DUI is any better than having pot in your system. Why don't they suspend him for the season? At least Onterrio wasn't running the risk of killing another human being by smoking some weed. And I know that there are other threads arguing about drinking and smoking, so don't remind me.

viks_fan21
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

I don't see why getting a DUI is any better than having pot in your system. Why don't they suspend him for the season? At least Onterrio wasn't running the risk of killing another human being by smoking some weed. And I know that there are other threads arguing about drinking and smoking, so don't remind me.

Well, let's call this Offord's warning. And remember, Onterrio got more than one of those, 3 I believe.

NDVikingFan66
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
DUI should carry a NFL suspension......it is wrong and dangerous.

Maybe not a year, but something like a game

jkjuggalo
04-20-2006, 03:48 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

DUI should carry a NFL suspension......it is wrong and dangerous.

Maybe not a year, but something like a game

Yes, I agree. And the suspension should get more harsh w/ repeat occurrences.

WisconsinSucks
04-20-2006, 03:52 AM
The fact is drinking is not against the law or rules. No excuse for drinking and driving. Now it is blown up. 20 years ago, all us old guys did it without thinking. Doesn't make us a bad person. Back then you just worried about getting home not harming others. These people have to be smarter. But I don't put them in the class of a felony. Of course I'm talking a first offense. If you are dumb enough to get a second then you may have an issue.

singersp
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
"Gift" wrote:

Lets see,

Taxi
$30

DUI
$2000
loss of license
risk of death

There are a lot of people whose rational thinking goes right out the door when they've had to much to drink.

How many times have people said "I'm fine, I'm OK to drive, I've only had a few".

Like I've said before it doesn't take a lot to get over .08 & There are a lot of people who have driven thinking & feeling they were fine, when they were indeed over the legal limit. :wink:

Just because you hit .08 doesn't mean you'll be swerving all over the road.

BadlandsVikings
04-20-2006, 06:07 AM
.08 is almost 1 beer, I had a co-worker who got a DUI for a Beer and a Half and he was at .091.

MaddenVodkaAddict
04-20-2006, 06:30 AM
"FTFXR" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Yes, this is technically worse, but it doesn't get that much attention since it happens all the time to athletes. But heaven forbid daunte gets a steamy lap dance...

Vikesfan4evr
04-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I openly admitt having a DUI 9 years ago and feel that anyone on any day/night can get one that drinks and chooses to drive. I am actually glad I got one and didn't hurt anyone in the process. It served as a wake up call and haven't drove drunk since. As a pro athlete being in the public spotlight you'd think that you could leave the Escalade or Hummer home if your headed out for a few drinks. It drives me crazy with all the crap pro athletes get away with. I say sit him down for a couple games and move him to a backup role and let him ponder his decision to drink and drive. Although million dollars athletes seem to buy their way out of trouble.

singersp
04-20-2006, 01:28 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

.08 is almost 1 beer, I had a co-worker who got a DUI for a Beer and a Half and he was at .091.

Isn't going to happen. 1 & 1/2 beers just isn't going to put you at 0.08.

ultravikingfan
04-20-2006, 02:46 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Its differnent for everybody, right?

singersp
04-20-2006, 02:54 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yes it is, but 1-1/2 cans of beer still isn't going to do it.

stjmnsota
04-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Keep cleaning house Wilf. Soon we will have a good team

tastywaves
04-21-2006, 12:19 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Its a measurement of alcohol in your blood as a percentage. Heavier people have more blood and therefore require more alcohol to reach the same percentage. Also, it takes time for alcohol to be absorbed into the bloodstream and things like food in your stomach will effect the rate at which it is absorbed. There is also a dissipation rate, rule of thumb is 1 beer per hour (but yes, this is different for different people), if you drink 6 beers over 6 hours, you'll more than likely be under the .08 limit. 6 beers in 2 hours and you're busted.

The other thing is that different people are effected differently by alcohol. Some folks lose their motor skills and thought process at much lower levels than other people, however, since it is so hard to make judgement calls the actual BAC number is pretty much the major factor in prosecuting someone. However, someone with a high BAC of say .15 that is a pretty heavy drinker may easily convince a police officer that he is okay to drive and look good on the sobriety tests and be allowed to motor on home. The next guy at .08 may be weaving down the road and having a hard time walking a straight line (this dude is more likely to tagged with a DUI).

BTW: Shame on you Willie, don't do it again, take it as a wake up call and get back to focusing on football.

ZDoy379
04-21-2006, 12:49 AM
ask koren robinson i bet he can tell you how he got help