PDA

View Full Version : Offord at Nickel LB?

muchluv4smoot
08-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Just read that Offord has passed Raonall smith as a nickel LB. What do you guys think about using offord at nickel LB? I like the idea. He is a talented kid, who we need to find away to get on the field. He is about the same size as nattiel and is quick as well. I am interested to see how he does in preseason as a nickel LB. I know nattiel, DT, and claiborne all want to be out there on nickel downs, but only 2 guys can. I would bet on nattiel and DT, but who knows.

Chicago Mike
08-05-2004, 10:22 PM
He's ALWAYS been a player, looking for the right position.

Maybe this is it. Safety just didn't seem to fit, although he looks
the part.

We'll see.

SKOL
08-06-2004, 02:49 AM
I just hate to see guys switching positions to fit the needs of the team. Be honest, when was the last time that worked? Tackles to ends, ends to tackles, weekside LB to strong side and vice versa. Chavous to Safety was a good move, but he's more of a leader of the defense, and was well suited to the position. Maybe I'm wrong..., and I would like to see Offord work out. I'm just a skeptic.

casper
08-06-2004, 03:05 AM
great question but I think the coaches know what they are doing, they won't know untill the helmets hit the gridiron, and hopefully have a back-up inplace if it doesn't time will tell

AngloVike
08-06-2004, 03:23 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

I just hate to see guys switching positions to fit the needs of the team. Be honest, when was the last time that worked? Tackles to ends, ends to tackles, weekside LB to strong side and vice versa. Chavous to Safety was a good move, but he's more of a leader of the defense, and was well suited to the position. Maybe I'm wrong..., and I would like to see Offord work out. I'm just a skeptic.

Have to agree with you on that, unless its a position that a guy's played before then I'm dubious as as how well it can really work. I'd rather see them stick at their old position and work/fight harder for a spot

whackthepack
08-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Chris Doleman was drafted as a linebacker and was switched to end during his first year (about half way through the season if I am remembering right), that worked OK.

VKG4LFE
08-06-2004, 12:28 PM
How big is Offord? Does he have the size to play linebacker? I know it would be a linebacker in nickel situations, but still, I thought he was a smaller guy!

purplepat
08-06-2004, 12:38 PM
I think Offord goes somewhere around 221 lbs. He can lay the licks on. You wouldn't want him out there as a regular LB because he is too small. But if you're looking for someone who would be fairly quick in pass coverage, covering RBs, TEs, and slot WRs, as well as deal with the occasional draw, etc., then Offord would probably do well.

SKOL
08-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Exactly my point whackthepack. It's been what - 20 years?

muchluv4smoot
08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

I think Offord goes somewhere around 221 lbs. He can lay the licks on. You wouldn't want him out there as a regular LB because he is too small. But if you're looking for someone who would be fairly quick in pass coverage, covering RBs, TEs, and slot WRs, as well as deal with the occasional draw, etc., then Offord would probably do well.

Yeah, offord is really only a few lbs lighter than nattiel. Since he has played safety already, he should fit in really well as a nickel LB, playing coverages, maybe better than any LB we have. I still see nattiel and dontarrious as our nickel LB's, and claiborne has been telling tice he wants to be out there on nickel as well. Personally I would rather have nattiel and DT's speed out there, than have claiborne's experience. It does seem like offord has a long way to go before we see him starting in our nickel D, but I like the idea of trying to find a way to get him on the field.

whackthepack
08-07-2004, 12:32 AM
I do think that Ranallo (?) Smith might have taken another step back again, and that Offered is being moved to Linebacker to give us another body in that position, because Smith probably will not make the team.

TWISTED
08-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Smith was an awful 2nd round pick, so it doesnt surprise me that a FS took his spot. Offord cant start at safety, so what makes you think he can play LB? He's like a lost little puppy out there...thats why a QB took his spot at FS.

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 11:46 AM
"TWISTED" wrote:

Smith was an awful 2nd round pick, so it doesnt surprise me that a FS took his spot. Offord cant start at safety, so what makes you think he can play LB? He's like a lost little puppy out there...thats why a QB took his spot at FS.

First off, it isn't me that thinks he can play LB, it is the coaches. 2nd, LB is a totally different position than FS, so just because he won't start ahead of russell at FS, doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play nickel LB. I fail to see your logic.

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 11:48 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I do think that Ranallo (?) Smith might have taken another step back again, and that Offered is being moved to Linebacker to give us another body in that position, because Smith probably will not make the team.

Actually offord has been playing the nickel LB spot for a while now, even when the coaches were talking about how good raonall smith has been looking in camp. It wasn't a move after they saw smith struggle, since offord was practicing nickel LB already.

vikesfan
08-07-2004, 12:08 PM
I am not sure about moving Offord to linebacker. We already have a lot of young, inexperienced linebackers on our team, but at least they have played that position through college and up until this point. What I would be curious about is whether he could play cornerback for us. I am still a little concerned about our cornerback depth and if he's as promising as I have heard, why not try that position? Has anybody heard if that's a possibility? Behind our two starters, Winfield and Williams, I think Offord could compete for the nickelback, if not the fourth db slot.

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 12:11 PM
"vikesfan" wrote:

I am not sure about moving Offord to linebacker. We already have a lot of young, inexperienced linebackers on our team, but at least they have played that position through college and up until this point. What I would be curious about is whether he could play cornerback for us. I am still a little concerned about our cornerback depth and if he's as promising as I have heard, why not try that position? Has anybody heard if that's a possibility? Behind our two starters, Winfield and Williams, I think Offord could compete for the nickelback, if not the fourth db slot.

He is still playing FS, just moving to nickel LB when we use nickel D. Don't get this confused with him moving to LB all together. He is playing Nickel LB because it is obviously a pass D formation and because of his coverage skills.

whackthepack
08-07-2004, 10:21 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Actually offord has been playing the nickel LB spot for a while now, even when the coaches were talking about how good raonall smith has been looking in camp. It wasn't a move after they saw smith struggle, since offord was practicing nickel LB already.

That was the first couple days of camp, what I am hearing is that he has fallen off and that it doesn't look like he is doing well and might not make the team.

Skoll qoute:
Exactly my point whackthepack. It's been what - 20 years?

That was just one example, that it can sometimes work. Birk was a guard moved to cneter when Lowdermilk left, and David Dixon was a D-Lineman when he came into the league.

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 10:40 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:
[quote]I do think that Ranallo (?) Smith might have taken another step back again, and that Offered is being moved to Linebacker to give us another body in that position, because Smith probably will not make the team.

That was the first couple days of camp, what I am hearing is that he has fallen off and that it doesn't look like he is doing well and might not make the team.

Oh, I thought you were trying to say that since raonall smith was struggling at nickel LB, that Tice must have decided to try offord at nickel LB, but offord was playing that spot before smith started to struggle.

TWISTED
08-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Muchluv4moss, my point is that he's a wash. A converted QB took his place b/c he's just not very good. He's a simply a second stringer, and I dont want to see him in the nickle package. He couldnt learn to play centerfield, so I seriously doubt that he'll learn to play LB in a few weeks. Just my opinion.

VKG4LFE
08-08-2004, 12:36 PM
That was just one example, that it can sometimes work. Birk was a guard moved to cneter when Lowdermilk left, and David Dixon was a D-Lineman when he came into the league.

When Kirk Lowdermilk left?? Do you mean Jeff Christy? Lowdermilk was a LONG time ago!

muchluv4smoot
08-08-2004, 09:52 PM
"TWISTED" wrote:

Muchluv4moss, my point is that he's a wash. A converted QB took his place b/c he's just not very good. He's a simply a second stringer, and I dont want to see him in the nickle package. He couldnt learn to play centerfield, so I seriously doubt that he'll learn to play LB in a few weeks. Just my opinion.

Hey I understand that is your opinon and i respect that, but there is a reason why he has been playing nickel LB and playing it pretty well according to the coaches.

That converted Qb you are talking about had 9 int's last year and did pretty damn good. Just because the guy behind him can't beat him for a starting spot at FS, doesn't mean he isn't good at playing nickel LB.

Look at corey chavous. He used to play CB and wasn't that great at it. If he was at CB on this team, brian wiliams and winfield would still start, yet chavous is a pro bowl player at a different position. He never was a pro bowler at CB.

According to coaches, offord has looked good playing FS, but there is no way they will move him ahead of russell after what russel did last season. I don't see why this means offord can't be good at nickel LB.

whackthepack
08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

When Kirk Lowdermilk left?? Do you mean Jeff Christy? Lowdermilk was a LONG time ago!

Me Bad, I did mean Christy (brain fart) got the wrong center.