PDA

View Full Version : Don't print that! 04/16/06

singersp
04-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Posted on Sun, Apr. 16, 2006

Don't print that

) Twins Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana said teammate and rookie reliever Francisco Liriano "throws harder than me, and he's got a great slider, very fast."

Does Liriano have the stuff to become another Santana? "We'll see," Santana said.

) It still looks as if the Vikings will try to trade their No. 17 overall pick in the April 29 NFL draft to Atlanta for backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

) Don't be surprised if North Dakota State men's basketball coach Tim Miles is named coach at North Carolina-Wilmington this week and if North Dakota State pursues Gophers defensive whiz Jim Molinari as a replacement.

) A little birdie said former Vikings tight ends coach John Tice, brother of former Vikings coach Mike Tice, interviewed for a position with the Vikings recently.

) The University of Minnesota is waiting for completion of a Minneapolis police investigation before wrapping up its internal investigation into alleged underage drinking by members of the Gophers men's hockey team last year. Regardless, repercussions are expected to be minor.

) Former Twins slugger Jim Lemon, 78, is gravely ill with cancer in Jackson, Miss. And former North Star Garry Bauman has been diagnosed with a form of cancer for which there is no cure.

) Twins outfielder Torii Hunter, with friends at a downtown Minneapolis restaurant on the eve of facing Oakland starter Esteban Loaiza on Wednesday at the Metrodome, quietly predicted he would hit a home run off Loaiza, which he did.

) Word is the Wild are considering making the old John Deere office complex in Bloomington their private practice facility.

) Matt Carle of Denver won the Hobey Baker Award, but the Gophers' Ryan Potulny was named college hockey's best player by SIOncampus.com.

Overheard

) Vikings four-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk of St. Paul has moved from Prior Lake to Mendota Heights: "I'm back on the right side of the river."

Charley Walters' column appears Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at cwalters@ pioneerpress.com.

Don't print that (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14353051.htm)

vikeswin2005
04-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I really hope we make that trade for Schaub insted of trading our first 3 pics to pick cutler or young

ViKing24
04-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Vince Young would be great to see in purple and gold next season or if we can't get him after trying are best to. Go for schaub since he has some talent after backing up Mike Vick.

happy camper
04-16-2006, 04:57 PM
i like the kfan character "charlie balters"

this guy mostly just points out the obvious.

carta4eva
04-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Get Young! Think about the combo of VY to TW for the next decade! Our offense would once again have that ability and explosiveness that we once possesed when 84 was around.

PurpleTide
04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Although I like Vince Young, I think Schaub would be an excellant pick-up and would be ready to play right now, as opposed to the usual 2-4 yr growing period for rookies.

norseforce
04-16-2006, 05:44 PM
schaub would be great he's still very young with skills, but YOUNG would SPECIAL. thats true carta4 VY to TW would be sweet

V4L
04-16-2006, 06:01 PM
"carta4eva" wrote:

Get Young! Think about the combo of VY to TW for the next decade! Our offense would once again have that ability and explosiveness that we once possesed when 84 was around.

Heck yah! :grin:

SKOL
04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

Although I like Vince Young, I think Schaub would be an excellant pick-up and would be ready to play right now, as opposed to the usual 2-4 yr growing period for rookies.

I have to agree with PurpleTide. I can't see Brad Johnson playing more than this year. Shaub would be a legitimate backup this year, and would be ready to start next.

I trust Childress on this one though. He brought along D. McNabb successfully.

Json
04-16-2006, 08:28 PM
I love the fact that there's still a possibility of getting Schaub. It's the best move the Vikings can do IMO.

PurplePeopleEaters
04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"carta4eva" wrote:

Heck yah! :grin:

I'm starting to feel that way too. Young grows on me more and more every day however I think we will be seeing him throwing the bombs to 84 anyways as a raider. :sad:

Ltrey33
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
The whole Schaub thing is getting old. Both teams said that there has been no talk about trading for Schaub, but the media keeps saying otherwise. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be pissed if we traded Daunte for a 2nd rounder and then traded a 1st rounder for an unproven QB that has been a backup for all but 2 games of his career.

I was as vocal as anyone about supporting the Culpepper trade, but I think it would be stupid to trade a former pro-bowler who is an injury-prone gamble for a 2nd round pick and then turn around and trade our 1st round pick for a guy that has started 2 games in the NFL.

farvathevikinglover
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

The whole Schaub thing is getting old. Both teams said that there has been no talk about trading for Schaub, but the media keeps saying otherwise. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be pissed if we traded Daunte for a 2nd rounder and then traded a 1st rounder for an unproven QB that has been a backup for all but 2 games of his career.

I was as vocal as anyone about supporting the Culpepper trade, but I think it would be stupid to trade a former pro-bowler who is an injury-prone gamble for a 2nd round pick and then turn around and trade our 1st round pick for a guy that has started 2 games in the NFL.I agree. I also really just don't want to trade our 1st round pick, and I don't think the Falcons would agree to it anyways.

ThaSuperFreak33
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Well whatever we do we do need a QB that will be ready to take over as the starter very soon. You cant win without a good QB.

i_bleed_purple
04-16-2006, 09:57 PM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

Well whatever we do we do need a QB that will be ready to take over as the starter very soon. You cant win without a good QB.

i dont know, the bears seemed to do pretty well without a QB. but i agree, we need to find SOMEONE that can be a long term solution. whether it be young or schuab, BJ just won't cut it for more than this year. he said he plans to play another few years, but the only way that will happen is as a backup.

Foranzan
04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
It still looks as if the Vikings will try to trade their No. 17 overall pick in the April 29 NFL draft to Atlanta for backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/Creeggs/omgowl.jpg

collegeguyjeff
04-16-2006, 11:07 PM
i read this earlier and i'd have to say if they vikings were gonna trade #17 for schaub they probably would do it after they evaluate talent in the draft, but i still think atlanta is going to keep him and get rid of vick cause vick sucks and makes way way too much money for his talent. vick reminds me of torii hunter he's only good at one thing. vick can run but he can't throw, hunter can play the outfield but is the most over rated hitter in baseball and makes way too much money for what he does.

fourdoorchevelle
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I was as vocal as anyone about supporting the Culpepper trade, but I think it would be stupid to trade a former pro-bowler who is an injury-prone gamble for a 2nd round pick and then turn around and trade our 1st round pick for a guy that has started 2 games in the NFL.

yeah!!! instead lets trade like 4 picks for a rookie Qb that has never played 1 game in the nfl.

not saying that you personally want to trade all our picks for young or cutler, but considering the draft picks required to get them shaub seems much more reasonably priced.

as for trading daunte for a 2nd rounder , well , what do you expect for blown out knee , horrible season , and asking to get the hell outta dodge. it was what ever the best offer was . why would some one want to give us a first rounder , chances where he would be cut if we didn't trade him. that's why i said sit him till he's healthy ,then they'll be knocking down the door.

DaunteHOF
04-17-2006, 02:39 AM
NO SCHAUB!

revprodeji
04-17-2006, 03:14 AM
I see us delaying. Waiting to see if cutler or young fall to the 17th, once they get taken than I see us trading for Matty boy. But not before we know we are not getting cutler

COJOMAY
04-17-2006, 03:15 AM
) A little birdie said former Vikings tight ends coach John Tice, brother of former Vikings coach Mike Tice, interviewed for a position with the Vikings recently.

I didn't know there was a job open in the ticket office! :lol:

CrazyVikingsFan
04-17-2006, 03:20 AM
who says anything about a qb maybe we dont get a qb this year and trade up and get quinn next year. or somone else anything this year looks like a bad deal for us so i suggest we wait till next year!!!!

ejmat
04-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Atlanta will have a hard time getting rid of Vick due to his gauranteed money in his contract. Even if they cut him Atlanta takes a hit. No other team wants him with that contract so they are pretty much stuck with him.

Burley81
04-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Our first rounder seems a little high for Schaub, even though I really like him.

I predict on draft day that Arizona surprises everyone by taking Young and then Cutler falls to us...

Ltrey33
04-17-2006, 05:16 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I didn't know there was a job open in the ticket office! :lol:

Oh snap!

PurplePumpkin
04-17-2006, 05:19 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"PurpleTide" wrote:

I have to agree with PurpleTide. I can't see Brad Johnson playing more than this year. Shaub would be a legitimate backup this year, and would be ready to start next.

I trust Childress on this one though. He brought along D. McNabb successfully.

I would have to say I agree with SKOL,s last sentence :smile:

Prophet
04-17-2006, 12:44 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Team has eight remaining free agents
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:48:40 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings have eight remaining free agents; six unrestricted, one exclusive-rights and one player released earlier. Unrestricted free agent PK Paul Edinger heads the list of remaining free agents.

dolphan117
04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Shaub would probably be a good fit for you guys because of the offense that you run. Its the same on that he has played in all his life and when he came out I believe he was the most accurate qb in collage. He went in the third round because of questions on his deep ball which he has significantly improved and has had some time to learn the NFL. For your situation the 17th pick probably wouldn't be too much of an overpay although I have to say I would chuckle if a Pro Bowl by was traded away for a second rounder and a relatively unproven guy with little NFL experience was brought in for a first rounder.

NodakPaul
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
"revprodeji" wrote:

I see us delaying. Waiting to see if cutler or young fall to the 17th, once they get taken than I see us trading for Matty boy. But not before we know we are not getting cutler

Exactly. None of this will be decided until draft day.

jonnyb
04-17-2006, 07:30 PM
If we dont Simms on draft day, I would have no problem trading the 1st pick for Schuab. Atlanta doesnt have a 1st rounder. Come draft day, I believe Atlanta would take the pick for Schaub.

cajunvike
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

True that!