PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers... Who do you put where?

minvikes01
04-13-2006, 03:02 AM
Which of our linebackers do you think will start, and where?

I'd like to see Henderson in the middle, with Leber on the outside, and if Harris can prove himself in camp, him on the otherside

alberta_vike
04-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Well it sounds to me like they are all learning every position. If I were in charge ( which thankfully I am not ) I would have Henderson strong side, Thomas in the Middle, and Leber on the weakside. Another combination I like is Leber on the strong side, Harris in the middle, and Thomas on the outside.

I don't really think that Henderson has the speed to play MLB in the Tampa-2.

PurplePride80
04-13-2006, 06:54 AM
^Yeah, that's a good point you make about E.J Henderson.

Since were going to be playing a Tampa 2 defense, were going to need a MLB with some speed. I'm suprised we haven't picked up a linebacker with some experience, since losing Sam Cowart. I'm really worried about our linebackers this season, we have so much youth, but no leadership.

But I think the three starting linebackers will be Harris,Leber, and Thomas.

Warp
04-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Id really like to see us put harris in the middle. i think he will do better there than at outside. but the starters on the outside are up in the air imo.
but have ej,Thomas,Leber in the mix, as well as atleast one rookie.

whackthepack
04-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Leber Thomas Henderson

Napo needs to prove himself to make it, and at the end of last season EJ was playing the best of all the linebackers.

Perch56
04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
henderson SIMS harris, if we get sims

Zeus
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
"alberta_vike" wrote:

Well it sounds to me like they are all learning every position. If I were in charge ( which thankfully I am not ) I would have Henderson strong side, Thomas in the Middle, and Leber on the weakside. Another combination I like is Leber on the strong side, Harris in the middle, and Thomas on the outside.

I don't really think that Henderson has the speed to play MLB in the Tampa-2.

The thing you have to remember about EJ is that he was a slow starter at Maryland before blossoming his last two seasons. I feel very strongly that the same thing is going to happen here. Two seasons down, he was getting big-time minutes at the end of last season and learning what he could from Cowart.

That said - I'm still pissed they didn't draft Derrick Johnson last year. He would have been the answer for YEARS at one of the two outside backer spots. I don't want them to screw that up again - it still pains me that Vilma is such a stud for the Jets and we missed him by one friggin' pick.

=Z=

ultravikingfan
04-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Anybody but Harris.

revprodeji
04-13-2006, 04:57 PM
if you look right now Leber and DT are set to start. the question marks are EH and napo. My understanding of DT is that he will be better set for the outside. He isnt so smart.. so we need a MLB. Hence my desire for D'qwell jackson. he is the anti-EH. he is smart, a natural vocal leader and great in coverage. Those 3 can start and than we have EH, napo and Rod as the backups

alberta_vike
04-13-2006, 05:05 PM
The thing you have to remember about EJ is that he was a slow starter at Maryland before blossoming his last two seasons. I feel very strongly that the same thing is going to happen here. Two seasons down, he was getting big-time minutes at the end of last season and learning what he could from Cowart.

It's not that I don't think Henderson can start, it's that I don't know if he can play MLB in this scheme. I think his ideal fit would be on the storng side.

Del Rio
04-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I think we will see Leber at Sam backer, we will see Henderson as weak side, and we will see Harris as our MLB.

NodakPaul
04-13-2006, 05:10 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Leber Thomas Henderson

Napo needs to prove himself to make it, and at the end of last season EJ was playing the best of all the linebackers.

I think that is the lineup we will be seeing in September, unless we draft a LB in the first round who wows us in training camp.

Eyedea
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I think Henderson is a much better linebacker than DT and Harris. DT and Harris barely made it on the field last year, while henderson started. Harris was nearly cut mid year last year. However, does henderson fit the system? I don't think he fits it as well as harris or DT, but I think he is still a better option than both of them. I see the linebackers going like this: Thomas--Henderson--Leber. I think we should draft Simms and let him compete with Thomas and Leber for the final two spots.

badbois
04-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I think (and hope) that at least one or mabey two of these positions has yet to be filled.

cajunvike
04-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Dontarrious at the Mike, Leber at the Sam, and EJ at the Will. Nap will be the first sub at all three spots.

cajunvike
04-13-2006, 05:36 PM
UNLESS we draft a STUD LB in the first or second round that can come in and unseat one of those three guys!

farvathevikinglover
04-13-2006, 06:37 PM
EJ DT and Leber will start. I don't think Harris can win the spot, although there is a possibity if we get Sims that he will start if he can adjust from college to pros well, but I don't know which 3 he'd replace.

VikesFan4Life
04-14-2006, 04:07 AM
I have a feeling DT will be our Mike backer this year. He arguably had his best two games as a pro at MLB while filling in for EJ that year.

Also, people need to remember that DT is NOT stupid by any means. He received several academic awards at Auburn. I just think he's been one of the biggest victims of poor/inadequate coaching.

I think he will show us the player he really is this year. Napoleon Harris will probably challenge him for the job though.

skum
04-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I would like to see Harris in the middle, but im am pretty sold in D'Qwell Jackson also out of the draft..

BigMoInAZ
04-15-2006, 04:05 AM
"skum" wrote:

I would like to see Harris in the middle, but im am pretty sold in D'Qwell Jackson also out of the draft..You see, I was just gonna make my argument, when you steal all my thunder! I know the best choice, or should I say the "wishful" choice would be for Ernie Sims to get drafted by the Vikes, but he won't be there at 17 and as much guff as has been made about the best LBs in this draft made for the cover 2 defense, they are limited to about 3 at the most, than deciding to draft D'Qwell Jackson with the 17th pick isn't really much of a stretch, when you get to thinking about it!

Oh sure, I'd love to see the Vikes trade down if they felt they could still get Jackson by moving down a few slots, but when push comes to shove, if the player you want is the player you need, than you don't flip the coin one more useless time! You decide hard and fast and stick with your decision and move on. I think getting a LB the caliber of Ernie Sims or even more so realistically, D'Qwell Jackson @ 17, is practical, sensible, and reasonable. Jackson could come in and compete right away for Harris's job at the Mike and that will leave EJ playing Sam and Leber or Thomas playing Will! This defense would be well on it's way to improving greatly!

mnjamie
04-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Leber - Donnie Edwards - D. Thomas

BigMoInAZ
04-15-2006, 04:28 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

UNLESS we draft a STUD LB in the first or second round that can come in and unseat one of those three guys!I thought of this even if the Vikes decide not to draft Sims or Jackson @ 17, they could wait to select a very good and decent set of LBs at 48 and 51! Believe me, I'd be happier than a pig in mud if the Vikes did decide to draft LB or DB with second round picks and look for some OL back up material in the third and later rounds!

But it's never that easy when it comes to the draft! That's why I love this time of year! ALL THE SPECULATION IN THE WORLD AT YOUR FINGER TIPS!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some possible names the Vikings could be glaring at when their turn to select 48th and 51st in the draft comes along:

Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma
Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
or
Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas

whackthepack
04-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Here are some more potential players that the Vikes could be available when the Vikes draft in the 2nd round.

Ko Simpson Safety South Carolina]
Danial Bullocks Safety Nebraska
Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
Barnel Bing Safety USC
Marcedes Lewis TE UCLA
Jonathon Joseph CB South Carolina
Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
Brodie Croyle QB Alabama
Charlie Whitehurst QB Clemson
OMar Jacobs QB Bowling Green

UndisputedVike
04-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Thomas-Harris-Greenway or
Thomas-Edwards-Greenway.

VikesFan4Life
04-17-2006, 04:13 PM
A few linebackers I like that may be available in rounds 2 to 4:

Spencer Havner (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/spencerhavner.html) (UCLA)
John Alston (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/jonalston.html) (Stanford)
Terna Nande (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/ternanande.html) (Miami-Ohio).
Thomas Howard (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/thomashoward.html) (UTEP)

cc21
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Leber and Thomas at outside. E.J. at middle.

VikesFan4Life
04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I'd be more comfortable with E.J. at Mike, but I think Tomlin wants to keep him at the Will spot. I have a feeling D.T. or Nap will be our Mike this year.

Kinda scares me a bit, but maybe we have something there. If he doesn't work out, I hope they have a backup plan.

Deleted_User_7548
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
http://svencentral.com/playmobil/vikings/images/large/IMG_7547.jpg