PDA

View Full Version : The Vikings Curse

COJOMAY
04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Curses

I've never heard of this before but it makes for an interesting read. This is from Wikipedia, the free internet encyclopedia:

The Vikings, even though they are a very successful franchise, are faced with championship futility, much like the Chicago Cubs, the Toronto Maple Leafs and many other successful franchises in other sports. Many attribute their futilities to "curses", such as the Cubs' Billy Goat curse. The Vikings have the more esoteric runestone curse, named for the Kensington Runestone, claimed to be Viking in origin, which was found near Alexandria, Minnesota. Legend has it that the runestone predicts the fate of the Minnesota Vikings in the future.
22 Norwegians on
discovery voyage from
Vinland over (the) west we
had camp by 2 skerries one
days journey north from this stone
we were and fishe(ed) one day after
we came home found 10 men red
with blood and dead.

The 22 Norwegians in this reference are a reference to the 22 players that play on a starting offense and defense on an NFL football team.[citation needed] The 10 dead are usually a reference to a massive group of injuries or an offense or defense that plays sub par.[citation needed]

They also have the 0 for 4 Curse. They have played in four Super Bowls, but have won none. Thus the state of Minnesota has both "Gophers" and "O-fers".

hawaiianvike21
04-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I dont believe into these sports curses. They dont exist, its just a bunch of bad luck and coincidences. :evil: Thats all.

VKG4LFE
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I don't know if I believe in all of that. I mean, afterall the Red Sox did win the World Series....even though it took 86 years!

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
How about the Cubs and the goat?

ThePurpleCow
04-12-2006, 04:38 PM
The curse of Hershal Walker is what it is.

ThePurpleCow
The curse of Hershal Walker is what it is.

BadlandsVikings
"ThePurpleCow" wrote:

The curse of Hershal Walker is what it is.that was the worst move ever.

cajunvike
04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yeah, I don't know if I believe in all of that. I mean, afterall the Red Sox did win the World Series....even though it took 86 years!

AND NOW IT'S OUR F'N TURN!!! :evil:

NodakPaul
04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I saw this earlier this year when I was looking at the Poison Pill entry in wikipedia. I had never heard of it before then.

But if you google it, you find it referenced in a surprising number of places...

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

AND NOW IT'S OUR F'N TURN!!! evilWe got Walker and gave the Cowboys 3 super bowls

CynicalVike
04-12-2006, 04:49 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"ThePurpleCow" wrote:

That will be surpased soon if Green Bay signs Arrington just to get Favre back for one more season! :lol:

twiztedfait
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM

"cajunvike" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

AND NOW IT'S OUR F'N TURN!!! evilWe got Walker and gave the Cowboys 3 super bowls

Seems like a fair trade to me. :lol:

Our time will come. We have just had a rough run of luck. It will end..............someday..........in my life time..............mabye

Wiggles67
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM
interesting story but I put zero faith in it

DaunteHOF
04-12-2006, 05:49 PM
i believe in the duke curse

Slade
04-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm a Leafs Fan too :sad:

~ The Buffalo Bills must be pissed too !

WinonaVike
04-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I dont like the whole idea of sports curses, if you put the right team together you can get it done. Just because somethign happened a hundred years ago does not mean the team will still be affected...imo anyway.

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
More like bad choices and bad luck?

wyorob
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Bunch of bull if you ask me. To beleive in a curse means that you should not even watch the game because you beleive they will never make it. It is an excuse to lose, an excape goat if you will..

VikesfaninWis
04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Screw that crap.. We may have had some bad luck, but our luck will change.. We are npot going to go forever without a SB title.. Our time is coming sooner than these azzbags think.

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
:hello1:

Perch56
04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
curses arent real, that is a bunch of bull

RK.
04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Fuck the ass kissing Packers. <--- Now that is a sports curse. :wink:

magicci
04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
whats the billy goat curse? it sounds like a packer thing...

WinonaVike
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM

And the point of this post is....

Jeremy
04-12-2006, 08:23 PM
The madden curse is the worst one. No team has ever made the playoffs after having appeared on the Madden cover. Typically they choose a player from a team that played very well the year before. The team falls apart after being on the cover.

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Brokeback Mountain II....John Madden and Brett Favre :pukeright:

BadlandsVikings
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
"WinonaVike" wrote:

Our turn is coming....nevermind.

vikesoto
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Do I believe in sports curses, hmmm, I don't know. But all my family laughed at all the similarities of me and my Vikings buddies and the Red Sox fans in the movie "Fever Pitch".Especially the scene in the stands where they talked about the 'Curse".When they talked about Buckner, Pedro, Bucky "Freakin" Dent... Vikings fans could of been in a similar scene talking about 0 for 4, 41-0, The Missed FG in 1998,Hail Mary... All I do know, the Cubs, Red Sox (prior to 2004), and Maple Leafs fans don't have it worse than Vikings fans. We too have had our share of ... what some might call... misery. But that's what makes Vikings fans great, we're not bandwagon and have stuck with them through it all !!!

ultravikingfan
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
"WinonaVike" wrote:

Here is the point of 98% of his posts:

chilifoot
04-12-2006, 11:49 PM
curses only affect those who let them... if you're thinking about that curse when the chips are down, then it will overcome you.... but is there literally a curse on the Vikings? NO

mnguyinames
04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
curses have been smashed lately. for instance, both sox in baseball just went over the hump so i see no reason why the mighty purple cant do the same. as long as childress is not a yellow bellied coach like dennis green, the vikes could park the lombardi trophy in minneapolis

collegeguyjeff
04-13-2006, 02:57 AM
the runestone was found to be fake

FedjeViking
04-13-2006, 03:04 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Da'm Right!! :twisted: Vikings don't get cursed anyway! :smile:

minvikes01
04-13-2006, 03:06 AM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Da'm Right!! :twisted: Vikings don't get cursed anyway! :smile:

agreed

singersp
04-13-2006, 03:13 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings#Curses

I've never heard of this before but it makes for an interesting read. This is from Wikipedia, the free internet encyclopedia:

The Vikings, even though they are a very successful franchise, are faced with championship futility, much like the Chicago Cubs, the Toronto Maple Leafs and many other successful franchises in other sports. Many attribute their futilities to "curses", such as the Cubs' Billy Goat curse. The Vikings have the more esoteric runestone curse, named for the Kensington Runestone, claimed to be Viking in origin, which was found near Alexandria, Minnesota. Legend has it that the runestone predicts the fate of the Minnesota Vikings in the future.
22 Norwegians on
discovery voyage from
Vinland over (the) west we
had camp by 2 skerries one
days journey north from this stone
we were and fishe(ed) one day after
we came home found 10 men red
with blood and dead.

The 22 Norwegians in this reference are a reference to the 22 players that play on a starting offense and defense on an NFL football team.[citation needed] The 10 dead are usually a reference to a massive group of injuries or an offense or defense that plays sub par.[citation needed]

They also have the 0 for 4 Curse. They have played in four Super Bowls, but have won none. Thus the state of Minnesota has both "Gophers" and "O-fers".

That tends to be a different translation than this;

Viking Vinland Center stone found

There is a Viking Rune stone in the very center of North America. Which means that all of North America was what the Vikings meant by the word Redminland.

The top part of the stone is lost, but I have translated the rest. It reads as follows:

My guess at the lost part of the stone is something like this:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
... accross the 28 degrees to the western sea,
==============================================
6 prairie and 22 mountain, I came by dog team to the west coast of Redminland (Oregon coast). Our settlement is located between two nude mountain ranges, one sailing day north of this latitude(Puget Sound Washington). We have great timber and fishing. (still today) In the year while coming here we passed thru 10 tribes of redskins from savage to educated.
(A)Completed (V)five before the (M)millenium. (995ad)
Signed Locksave the bad
================================================
This rune stone was found about 100 years ago. It is today called the Kensington Rune stone.

I have read that a Rune stone may give a different translation given a different context.

The context for my translation takes into account the fact that the stone was centered exactly half way between the north pole and the equator and exactly half way between the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific ocean.

Check out this map by xerox. It is a great place to know about.
The four marks are mine. Notice the two marks in the center. The bottom one is the exact center of North America. The top one is the location of Kensington Minn. The Runestone Park is 24 miles ENE of Kensington. Vinland center map

Viking Vinland Center stone found (http://www.sjolander.com/viking/essays/runeston.htm)

We never played the Redskins in a super bowl. :wink:

So much for would-be curses.

farvathevikinglover
04-14-2006, 06:17 AM
dont believe much in curses but interesting read. We're gonna change things and be 0-fers NO LONGER!

NDVikingFan66
04-14-2006, 06:59 AM

"ThePurpleCow" wrote:

I am going to disagree slightly on this.....it was not the worst move ever....

The worst move ever was not using him correctly.....remember....he was an I back type of back....needed that extra field length to scope out the fieid....

In addition, every back needs to get his hands on the ball a set number of times to get "into the game". Walker never really got enough carries in a game. This is why the running back by committee rarely works.

purplepride818
04-14-2006, 07:10 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

"ThePurpleCow" wrote:

I am going to disagree slightly on this.....it was not the worst move ever....

The worst move ever was not using him correctly.....remember....he was an I back type of back....needed that extra field length to scope out the fieid....

In addition, every back needs to get his hands on the ball a set number of times to get "into the game". Walker never really got enough carries in a game. This is why the running back by committee rarely works.

but he still wasnt worth all those draft picks regardless of how he was used

DCPologirl
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Wiggins is a big Red Sox fan! :lol:

olson_10
04-14-2006, 09:50 AM
well it hasnt been 86 years..but it has been a long wait

YogidAbEAR
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

the runestone was found to be fake

it's believed to be fake, but there's o concrete evidence that it's fake. some people believe that it's writen in a difrent dialect which is why the scandinavian scientist who studied it found it impossible to read