PDA

View Full Version : Who do you blame?

Zeus
04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
So - back in early 1999, I was sitting in a hotel room in Denver, watching the Vikes host Atlanta in the NFC Championship. Me being me, it was an interactive game-watching experience. Cheering, screaming, stomping, muttering - you get the idea.

Anyway - who do you blame for that loss?

A. Denny Green - for passing the ball deep in our own territory at the end of the 1st half.
B. Gary Anderson - for missing that kick.
C. Drunken Pat Summerall - for jinxing Anderson by uttering "Garrrry Anderson hasn't missed a kick all season long" right before the snap?

I've always chosen C.

=Z=

VKG4LFE
04-11-2006, 07:54 PM
It's over with, let's not bring up those bad memories again.

badbois
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
someone destroy this forum!

wyorob
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I blame the entire defense for letting the game get that close when we were handling things our way for such a good long time. Feel bad for anderson and thee is no such thing as a jinx.....

seaniemck7
04-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Worst day ever for me in terms any sort of sporting event. That includes the 2 times I have torn my ACL and another time I tore cartilidge in my knees.

That game almost cost me my marriage... i refuse to vote.

ThaSuperFreak33
04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Denny Green for coaching the game like Sh** in the 4th Quarter.

UndisputedVike
04-11-2006, 08:27 PM
We would have taken the damn broncos is what kills me.

Prophet
04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Denny Green for sitting on the ball at the end of the first half when they had the most potent offense in the history of the NFL. That game was a nightmare. Great, now I have to go back to counseling, thanks a lot.

UndisputedVike
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
98' Vikes>>>>>Lamest Show on turf.

Gift
04-11-2006, 09:16 PM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

Denny Green for coaching the game like Sh** in the 4th Quarter.Amen, Most high powered offense EVER and you kneel down!? OMGWTFPWNBBQ!!!!!!

renovikesfan
04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah...*twitch*...thanks alot *twitch*

Denny didn't get the nickname "DA KNEE!!!" for nothing *twitch*

ultravikingfan
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Who?

The entire team. From the coaches to the Defense, the Offense to the Kicker. Its a team sport; a team loss or a team win.

If the Offense scored more, our defense would not have sucked and Anderson would not have been in the position that he was in.

If the Defense played better, Atlanta would not have scored as many points as they did, our Offense would not have to score as many and Anderson would not have been in the position that he was in.

If Denny did not have his cranium jammed between his cheeks, everything would have been better.

So, you can look at this and assign blame to one particular facet. But, good coaches do not do this; they assign blame as a team.

Lesson over. :wink:

shockzilla
04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
I blame Denny totally, completely, absolutely, positively 100%.

twiztedfait
04-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Now I am going to have to get a case of beer tonight to re-forget that night.........

No one person is to blame. Like ultra said it is a team game and the whole team is to blame. The knee + poor defense + poor coaching starting at the knee, plus 1 bad kick = lost game.

sunny
04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
DENNIS GREEN! nuf said.

josdin00
04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
"wyorob" wrote:

I blame the entire defense for letting the game get that close when we were handling things our way for such a good long time. Feel bad for anderson and thee is no such thing as a jinx.....

Bull. Crap. Jinxes are real!

Go Cubs!

whackthepack
04-11-2006, 09:50 PM
"renovikesfan" wrote:

Yeah...*twitch*...thanks alot *twitch*

Denny didn't get the nickname "DA KNEE!!!" for nothing *twitch*

I still have nightmares!

After Denny and the coaching staff in their infinite wisdom took a knee had I been the owner I would have fired the whole coaching staff a soon as they stepped off the field.

VKG4LFE
04-11-2006, 10:13 PM
What about Robert Griffith? He had not one but TWO chances at INTs to ice the game and he dropped them. But oh well, who cares we'll get there again.....I hope?

Zeus
04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

It's over with, let's not bring up those bad memories again.

Hey - the pain is still very real with me. I'm new here - so I hope you'll pardon me if I scrape the scab on old wounds.

At least I didn't bring up 41-donut......

=Z=

cc21
04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I blame the Atlanta Falcons for us losing.

vikesoto
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Robert Smith for running out of bounds more that once on the drive that resulted in "The Miss". If he had stayed in bounds he could of killed the clock....

Griffith dropping the int in the endzone in the games final seconds...

47 seconds left, the most prolific offense in the NFL's history, and two time out's and you take a knee......

Cunningham "under-throwing" Moss in OT . Randy had a few steps on Robinson but had to stop to wait for the ball....

Steussie for giving up a sack late in the 2nd qtr that resulted in the Falcon's scoring and cutting the Vikings lead to 20-14....

i.e .....way tooooooooooo many "what if's "......................

Damm, someone get me a beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SharperVikings
04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Denny Green for the obvious reasons, and pat summerall!!

Slade
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
This is a tough game to forget. I can't believe that we lost to Chris Chandler. That being said, do you think we could have beaten the Broncos in that SB?

snowinapril
04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Injuries on D

They just couldn't hold out. We had some key players going into the game, Randall for one, I think Talley went out in the game.

sirweeze
04-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm getting completely irrationally pissed off just reading this thread.

I feel like punching someone in the face.

snowinapril
04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Did Not.......

.....Get It Done!

wyorob
04-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I blame Bret Farve for all Vikikings poblems past present and future. Cry baby

Zeus
04-12-2006, 04:13 AM
"sirweeze" wrote:

I'm getting completely irrationally pissed off just reading this thread.

I feel like punching someone in the face.

Sorry, bruddah. I feel your pain. Trust me - if I ever run into Pat Summerall, he's getting a facefull of me.

=Z=

Zeus
04-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Wow - my apologies for touching a nerve or two.

=Z=

VikesfaninWis
04-12-2006, 04:16 AM
A, B and C. All of the above..

singersp
04-12-2006, 04:24 AM
They played the game to conservatively. If I had to blame one person, I'd blame the ballboy.

That bastage is still giving us false information.

NDVikingFan66
04-12-2006, 04:35 AM
Wow......my counselor worked all these years to help me get over this, boy will he be pissed tomorrow when I stop in to see him about this.

That being said....let me answer a couple of questions...as long as I am going back for counseling....might as well let it rip.

Was it Denny's fault....sure the Head Coach makes the final call, but did Billeck have anything to do with it, or at least fight to run a real play?

Robert Smith, one of the smartest men in football, running out of bounds??? He knows better than that.

How in the world can you drop 2 Int's late in the game like that?

Gary Anderson, not his fault, I mean, no one is perfect is how the saying goes, right? He was just bringing truth to the statement.

Summeral, forget it. He did not curse Anderson. The guy was kicking a chip shot indoors in a fan friendly environment, to send them to the Super Bowl. He has made that kick thousands of times in his mind.

Don't worry...just a couple of more thoughts/comment and I will be done.

Chris Chandler....a 3rd round draft choice...beat us and went to the Super Bowl. Granted he was never a great QB, but he did do OK at times. And he has gone to a Super Bowl How many Super Bowls have Ryan Leaf, Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, Rick Meier, Philp Rivers, and other 1st Round Draft choice been to. Not all winning QB's have to be 1st rounders. (See points made by numerous people on this forum about needing/not needing a 1st Rd QB)

Could we have beaten the Broncos? Have to be honest, I am not sure we could have. Wow, did they look solid that year. I was really looking forward to celebrating a Super Bowl victory, but I am not sure it would have came in 1998 against Denver. But I would have loved to have seen that game. Guarantee it would have been a GREAT ONE!!!

Now, whoever started this thread if you would just send me your name and address so I can send my therapy bill to you, that would be great.

NDVikingFan66
04-12-2006, 04:47 AM
"singersp" wrote:

They played the game to conservatively. If I had to blame one person, I'd blame the ballboy.

That bastage is still giving us false information.

Maybe the ball boy gave us a bad ball to kick with.....hmmmm

The plot thickens

Deronn
04-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Why in the world did I start reading this thread... better yet, why did I read ALL the posts...Just made me feel like crap!
That was by far the worst feeling I have ever had watching a game!

vikeswin2005
04-12-2006, 05:13 AM
ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NO MORE

Dwags
04-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Ahh, what a crappy memory....

It's gotta be Denny Green for having them kneel with 20 seconds left at the end of the game while having the most potent offense in football. Why the hell would you kneel and risk losing the toss and putting the defense back out on the field in overtime....

Mikecarter81
04-12-2006, 05:22 AM
I vote the ineffective play of Randall Cunningham for the rest of the second half. I thought the offesne just fell apart all for exceptfor Robert Smith. He damn near willed that team to victory!

Mike

MensaTice
04-12-2006, 06:35 AM
RUDD! then denny

so-cal vike
04-12-2006, 06:47 AM
I read the title and thought it would be about current events and then saw this post and knew exactly what it's about.

"Mikecarter81" wrote:

I vote the ineffective play of Randall Cunningham for the rest of the second half. I thought the offesne just fell apart all for exceptfor Robert Smith. He gol 'darnit near willed that team to victory!

Mike

Now before I answer the question, let me ask one of my own: Why you bringing up old sh!t? :smile:

As for my answer: I blame the gods themselves.

Jeremy
04-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Giving up 30 points at home in the playoffs is pitiful.

Defense win championships. The teams that lacks defense never wins the big one. You can't expect to win shootouts all the time. We had an average defense and it showed in the playoffs.

Deleted_User_7548
04-20-2006, 02:20 PM
GRAAHAHAHAH I BLAME YOUR BALLS!

tarkenton10
04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
And you wish you could lick 'em!!!