PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry?

mr.woo
04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
not sure where to put this so ill put this here. why does it seem to me that when people mention nfc north rivalry they mention bears-packers orlions-bears and never vikes-packers unless there a viking fan. this is one o if not the most intense rivalry in the league. prolly two greater rivalrys are cincy-shitsburgh and new eangland-indy. wat do you guys think are the biggest rivalrys.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Bert and Ernie

j/k

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I think Packers and Vikings is never mentioned because it's just a given

ThePurplePotato
04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Oakland-Kansas City is huge, as well as Cleveland-Pittsburgh.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Denver-Oakland

V4L
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Cowboys N' Niners?

Mr-holland
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Well i can't call the pack rivals.
i think the comming years the Bears will be our #1 Rival.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:52 PM
When One team is relly bad and one of the teams is really good, it's not much of a rivalry anymore

simonsparre
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Bears-Packers has a much longer history then Vikes-Packers. I don't know why they talk about Lions, playing Lions is like a bye week :wink:

badbois
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
holes vs piles!

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
A high school team could beat the Lions

LAVike
04-10-2006, 08:11 PM
VIKINGS-SEAHAWKS!!!

Come on, you know it's on now! I think it's been brewing ever since Alexander single-handedly torched the Vikes for like 4 or 5 tds a couple of years ago. And with all the crap this offseason, it's going to be ugly. I'm going to Seattle just to watch it! Maybe I'll have a Vikes Hutch jersey with me! Ooooh, that hurts.

Perch56
04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
i dont know why they dont but oakland and KC, did you see last yrs game Vermil went for the win not the tie and larry johnson ran it in to win the game

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
"Perch56" wrote:

i dont know why they dont but oakland and KC, did you see last yrs game Vermil went for the win not the tie and larry johnson ran it in to win the gameVermil just needed a reason to cry

Warp
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe its just Minnesota teams vs Wisconsin teams, in general that are
huge rivalrys. To us its like the Redsox, Yankees rivalry. But i really look forward to us vs the Seahawks this year. Alot of bad blood in that one.

Benet
04-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I think rivalries in the NFL have lost some of that tradition that is necessary for a full-blooded-rivalry to be established because of the changes in the league structure. I mean if we were talking about this 5 years ago we'd be saying Tampa are a big rival because we were playing them twice a year at that point. I think rivalries goes beyond who you play against the most frequently, though a history of contests is absolutely necessary. New England and Indy, I would classify that as a rivalry because it has a story behind it. When someone asks why Indy consider the Patriots rivals even though they're not in the same division, you can instantly regale the story of how the Patriots have denied the often-more-fancied Colts of a place in the Superbowl thanks to last-minute field-goals in the driving snow of Gilette Stadium, or right in the Colts backyard in the RCA Dome.

That being said, we most certainly have a rivalry with the Packers.. The history is there, and the stories are there.

And I wouldn't say it's just about contests. But personnel can bring their own personal grudges with them to a team.. (I'm looking at you Marty Schotteinheimer) which adds something that wasn't there before, but will no-doubt persist after they've gone.

I've kinda lost track of where I was going with this..

:grin:

simonsparre
04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
"Warp" wrote:

But i really look forward to us vs the Seahawks this year. Alot of bad blood in that one.

me too. Also the Cardinals game. A lot of bad memories!!

ultravikingfan
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
As far as the North, the Bears and Pack since they have been around a heck of a lot longer than us.

As far as the NFL, I guess it is opinion.

But, I watched a segment on ESPN and the showcased the Cowboys and Redskins. You really have to look at how the Cowboys were formed and how the owner of the Redskins tried to block the addition because the Skins had the majority or radio listeners in Texas. And then the bad blood spilled over when the Cowboys were awarded a franchise.

Vrehna
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
How about Eagles Cowboys for a rivalry?

As a Viking fan, I can say that the Packers and Vikings have had a great rivalry over the years. But as a football fan, every team is only allowed one rivalry, at the most. A lot of teams don't have rivalries, just teams they hate.

Now I am sure that the Packers hate the Vikings, that is a given, but if I had to give them one rival team, it would be the Bears. That has been a much longer rivalry.

The Vikings hate the Packers, but just like the Lions (who hate the Packers aswell) are not the rivals of Green Bay.

mr.woo
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
New England and Indy, I would classify that as a rivalry because it has a story behind it. When someone asks why Indy consider the Patriots rivals even though they're not in the same division, you can instantly regale the story of how the Patriots have denied the often-more-fancied Colts of a place in the Superbowl thanks to last-minute field-goals in the driving snow of Gilette Stadium, or right in the Colts backyard in the RCA Dome.

they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they?

actually i just checked it and they do again this year and guess wat? its primetime.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

New England and Indy, I would classify that as a rivalry because it has a story behind it. When someone asks why Indy consider the Patriots rivals even though they're not in the same division, you can instantly regale the story of how the Patriots have denied the often-more-fancied Colts of a place in the Superbowl thanks to last-minute field-goals in the driving snow of Gilette Stadium, or right in the Colts backyard in the RCA Dome.

they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they?yes, and it is hyped way to much.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they?

actually i just checked it and they do again this year and guess wat? its primetime.what a surprise

mr.woo
04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
holy $hit guess sorry for all the posts. i kept getting that error message and going back and trying to submit it.

finnishvikingsfan
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I really dont think there are rivals in the nfl. If there are they are at as intense as College and High school Rivaliers. I think it is cause players can leave the team they are on now. To me free agency is the main reason the nfl rivals arent as strong as they use to be.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
very true

magicci
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
TEXANS VS TITANS?

Bowchee
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
As far as rivalries based on pure hate, Raiders-Chiefs, Raiders-Broncos, and Raiders-Raiders (they hate themselves).

Vikings-packers has some strong hate too, and there's a statistical tie that goes along with it, although we all know that the statistics are scewed due to the bad calls which usually go in the packers' favor. The all-time won-loss-tie is 44-44-1. The difference in points scored ends up averaging less than 2 points per game. I don't have the yardage stats, but I remember that being very close in 1998 when MNF highlighted the rivalry - I think less than 100 yards difference total in all games at that time.

vikesoto
04-10-2006, 11:58 PM
"Bowchee" wrote:

As far as rivalries based on pure hate, Raiders-Chiefs, Raiders-Broncos, and Raiders-Raiders (they hate themselves).

Vikings-packers has some strong hate too, and there's a statistical tie that goes along with it, although we all know that the statistics are scewed due to the bad calls which usually go in the packers' favor. The all-time won-loss-tie is 44-44-1. The difference in points scored ends up averaging less than 2 points per game. I don't have the yardage stats, but I remember that being very close in 1998 when MNF highlighted the rivalry - I think less than 100 yards difference total in all games at that time.

I know you meant that as a joke, but in Oakland I have seen Raiders fans fighting with each other. The thing is it has nothing to do with the Raiders. It's a "Southern" California against "Northern California" gang thing. It was really stup!d to see these idiots fighting over prison gangs, "Surenos' " against " Nortenos' ". What a bunch of dumb a$$es!!

DaunteHOF
04-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Vikings vs Packers is mention but I like the Giants vs Cowboys rivalry and Colts vs Bengals is such a fucking good game

vikeswin2005
04-11-2006, 02:54 AM
dallas and washington

whackthepack
04-11-2006, 03:06 AM
The Vikes back in the 70's had some rivalries going with the Cowboys and the Rams.

farvathevikinglover
04-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Anybody think Vikings-Seahawks could become a good rivaly? We already got some animosity goin on. If we have a close game against them this year and face them in the playoffs it might really heat up.

ultravikingfan
04-11-2006, 03:15 AM
"mr.woo" wrote:

they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they.

Dude...the NFL does not pick match-ups. Its a formula that is the same for every team.

Also, do not hit "Submit" 3 times and make the exact same 3 posts.

ultravikingfan
04-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Going back to the '70s, the Steelers and the Raiders. 2 best teams in the AFC for a long time.

Colts and Bengals? Just because it is a good game does not qualify it for a rivalry.

Ltrey33
04-11-2006, 03:45 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they.

Dude...the NFL does not pick match-ups. Its a formula that is the same for every team.

They always play each other because the team that finishes first in their division will play the other teams in their conference that also finished first. The Colts and the Pats have both finished at the tops of their division (I think every year) since the realignment, hence why they always play.

Purple_Hope
04-11-2006, 03:47 AM
There's always at least a 12-pack on the line when the Vikes meet the Pack.

i_bleed_purple
04-11-2006, 04:11 AM
I like the vikings/packers rivalry because no matter how good or bad each team plays the rest of the year, when these two teams meet it makes for a great game. They go back a fair ways ('61 i think) and the overall record only has a winning margin of 2 (after 44 years). That makes a great rivalry. The bears/packers one is only good because they've been going at it since 1921, the matchup itself is usually not that great. so far either the Packers have been a good team, or the bears have been a good team, but not both at once.

tjohnson
04-11-2006, 04:22 AM
New England/Pittsburgh is starting to get intense out here.

ultravikingfan
04-11-2006, 04:30 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

They always play each other because the team that finishes first in their division will play the other teams in their conference that also finished first. The Colts and the Pats have both finished at the tops of their division (I think every year) since the realignment, hence why they always play.

But is only a handful of years enough to make it a rivalry?

Pitt and Cincy are building more of one, ask Whack.

magicci
04-11-2006, 05:45 AM
"vikesoto" wrote:

"Bowchee" wrote:

I know you meant that as a joke, but in Oakland I have seen Raiders fans fighting with each other. The thing is it has nothing to do with the Raiders. It's a "Southern" California against "Northern California" gang thing. It was really stup!d to see these idiots fighting over prison gangs, "Surenos' " against " Nortenos' ". What a bunch of dumb a$$es!!
stupid a$$ raider fans.

renovikesfan
04-11-2006, 06:25 AM
I was going to put my opinion in on this, but i_bleed_purple did it for me, and eerily, almost word-for-word. So I'll just add a bit more. LOL

The Bears/Packers rivalry is only there because of their length of time in the League, so there's obviously going to be a rich history...but HISTORY is the key word there. These days, it seems like just another match-up.

Vikings/Packers, on the other hand, is an annual see-saw. One year, each team wins one, the next year one of them sweeps, the following year, the other one will sweep, and so on and so forth. The lead I'M going to savor is the one that likely won't have a chance to go away for many more years, and that's our Playoff victory against them.

44-44-1 in the last 44 years. Nuff sed!

vikesoto
04-11-2006, 08:06 AM
As a Viking fan....

Minnesota vs Geen Bay

As a fan of the NFL...

Kansas City vs Oakland

Articnv
04-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Lions GM vs Lion fans :P

shawn
04-11-2006, 08:46 AM
On a personal level, I love to see the Vikes beat the cowboys and 49ers.......The dynasty that those 2 had going and our games with them still make victory over either one very very sweet...........Packers, NUFF SAID!!!

shawn
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I should have added that the "personal level" ment being a native of northern MN, and 38 years old............