PDA

View Full Version : Childress keeps team on the go

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Childress keeps team on the go

If nothing else this weekend, Vikings players received a healthy dose of the high-intensity practice style of new coach Brad Childress. As a three-day minicamp ended Sunday morning, safety Darren Sharper said, "I'm more sore than I've ever been at this time in April."

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: April 09, 2006 – 10:41 PM

If nothing else this weekend, Vikings players received a healthy dose of the high- intensity practice style of new coach Brad Childress. As a three-day minicamp ended Sunday morning, safety Darren Sharper said, "I'm more sore than I've ever been at this time in April."
"It was just the speed of practice and how we were running around," Sharper said. "I think that's probably a good thing. It means we're working hard, and hopefully it will pay off when the season starts."

Indeed, Childress' first practices were most notable for the fast pace between drills and the constant movement during them. Rarely were players seen standing still.

"I think we got some people acclimated into our tempo," Childress said.

"Across the board, I think we could be in a little bit level of cardio conditioning. ... That's always a question this time of year. Body weight and conditioning, those are two things that take no talent to take care of."

Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said the quick tempo was designed to evaluate the performance of players when they were tired.

"Our ability to operate under duress is going to dictate how successful we are," Tomlin said. "We're creating a little adversity by the tempo of stuff because we want to get to know them, and I think they're doing a nice job of fighting through that."

[b]Schaub redux

Earlier this month, multiple sources said the Vikings and Atlanta Falcons had discussed trade parameters for backup quarterback Matt Schaub. Sunday, a top Vikings official denied that the team has made an offer for Schaub, apparently drawing a distinction between general discussions and a formal offer.

"We have made no offer to trade for the player," said Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations. Brzezinski would not elaborate.

Several teams have pursued Schaub this offseason, but the Falcons want a first-round pick in return. The Vikings appear set to start Brad Johnson in 2006 and draft their quarterback of the future later this month.

Etc.

• Childress said the team will bring more than 30 draft- eligible players to Winter Park during the next three weeks for visits. The list includes Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler, but Childress said he didn't see Texas quarterback Vince Young on the list. "All of [the visitors] fit into different categories," Childress said, "whether it's a medical question, a personality question or a guy that we're legitimately interested in."

• Childress excused Johnson from Sunday's practice to attend to a personal matter. Mike McMahon worked with the first-team offense during the 80-minute workout.

Childress keeps team on the go (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/361174.html)

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Childress installing a high-level of intensity at practice
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:07:26 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress introduced a high-intensity practice style at the team's three-day minicamp that ended Sunday, April 9. S Darren Sharper said, "I'm sorer than I've ever been at this time in April." "It was just the speed of practice and how we were running around," Sharper said. "I think that's probably a good thing. It means we're working hard, and hopefully it will pay off when the season starts."

Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said the quick tempo was designed to evaluate the performance of players when they were tired.

AngloVike
04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
"singersp" wrote:

• Childress said the team will bring more than 30 draft- eligible players to Winter Park during the next three weeks for visits. The list includes Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler, but Childress said he didn't see Texas quarterback Vince Young on the list. "All of [the visitors] fit into different categories," Childress said, "whether it's a medical question, a personality question or a guy that we're legitimately interested in."

this will drive the TC media nuts - all those players coming in and no clues as to why each was asked. I can see the local hacks getting annoyed with no clues as to whom the Vikes are interested in. Lets see them try to work out any potential draft moves by the Vikes this time round.

Lotza
04-10-2006, 01:21 PM
"I'm more sore than I've ever been at this time in April."

sweet!

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Posted on Mon, Apr. 10, 2006

Vikings adjust to new atmosphere with Childress

NFL:New Minnesota coach 'Major Dad' runs his team and camp with a military-like approach.

BY DAVE CAMPBELL
ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Asked about his supposed elation over finding backup quarterback Mike McMahon available as a free agent, Brad Childress responded aptly in a manner befitting his personality.

"I don't know if I deal in 'happy' that much," began the Minnesota Vikings coach's reply.

The question became irrelevant, but the flat, blunt tone and the stone face provided a perfect snapshot of the method Childress will use to run his new NFL team.

In all seriousness.

"The discipline and enthusiasm I've seen over the last couple of days here really bodes well for us this coming season," owner Zygi Wilf said this weekend during the first of two minicamps the Vikings have scheduled this spring.

Childress looks a little bit like Gerald McRaney, the lead actor in the 1990s TV sitcom, "Major Dad," and he approaches his job as if he were a Marine sergeant, too.

The minicamp was conducted at a military-like pace, as players sprinted from snap to snap and drill to drill and assistant coaches enthusiastically barked instructions, criticism and praise. The short, slender Childress, his gray T-shirt neatly tucked into black warmup pants, stood solemnly in the middle of the frenzy -- rhythmically sharing his insight, shouting occasionally, as he experienced his first practices as an NFL head coach.

"We just kind of stuck our toe in the water in terms of system, but I think we've got some people acclimated into our tempo and what our expectations are on the field, off the field, in the meeting room," Childress said. "And I think those are important things to set."

Safety Darren Sharper remarked about how sore he was following Sunday's practice.

"I think that's a good thing," he said, "because it means that we're working hard."

Working hard with little doubt about the way things will work under the new staff.

Mike Tice, who was fired in January, routinely stressed crisp workouts and placed a premium on efficient practices. But one area where Tice had trouble was with projecting a consistent persona to his players. Some days, he was the stern taskmaster. On others, was the deeply caring father figure. On still others, he was the class clown.

Childress, at least so far, isn't leaving any room for wonder.

"He's a straightforward guy," Sharper said. "His job here is to do his job. You don't really come in here and expect to be going up to eat lunch with your head coach too often. You want to come here and work and that's what championship teams do."

Eventually, as he spends more time with the team and gets to know individual players on more of a personal level, Childress might let the guys get to know him better. Sharper and Childress share mutual friends in football, and Sharper said he's been told that his new boss does, indeed, have a personality.

Between now and the start of the regular season, though, the priority for coaches and players will be placed on establishing comfort with the offensive and defensive schemes.

Very few jobs are safe, either, especially with the draft fast approaching and the strong possibility that several of the 65 veterans on the roster will be released later this spring or summer.

"Everybody's out here working, trying to prove themselves," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "Because it's a year-to-year league. It doesn't matter what you did a year or two years ago, it matters what you're going to do every season."

NOTES

Quarterback Brad Johnson was excused by Childress from Sunday's practice for a personal matter.

• Defensive end Kenechi Udeze is ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation and already back at his starting spot. Udeze suffered a serious injury to his left knee last September, but he said he feels fine.

Vikings adjust to new atmosphere with Childress (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/14307063.htm)

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
New Minnesota coach 'Major Dad' runs his team and camp with a military-like approach

That quote scares the hell out of me somewhat.

It reminds me way to much of the Les Steckel approach.

For those ou us old enough to rember, it was a terible year for us Vikings fans.

I pray to God we are not in for a repeat of that year.

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Vikings adjust to all-business Childress

By Dave Campbell, The Forum
Published Monday, April 10, 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Asked about his supposed elation over finding backup quarterback Mike McMahon available as a free agent, Brad Childress responded aptly in a manner befitting his personality.

“I don’t know if I deal in ‘happy’ that much,” began the Minnesota coach’s reply.

The question became irrelevant, but the flat, blunt tone and the stone face provided a perfect snapshot of the method Childress will use to run his new team.

In all seriousness.

“The discipline and enthusiasm I’ve seen over the last couple of days here really bodes well for us this coming season,” owner Zygi Wilf said this weekend during the first of two minicamps the Vikings have scheduled this spring.

Childress looks a little bit like Gerald McRaney, the lead actor in the 1990s TV sitcom, “Major Dad,” and he approaches his job as if he were a Marine sergeant, too.

The minicamp was conducted at a military-like pace, as players sprinted from snap to snap and drill to drill and assistant coaches enthusiastically barked instructions, criticism and praise. The short, slender Childress, his grayT-shirt neatly tucked into black warmup pants, stood solemnly in the middle of the frenzy – rhythmically sharing his insight, shouting occasionally, as he experienced his first practices as an NFL head coach.

“We just kind of stuck our toe in the water in terms of system, but I think we’ve got some people acclimated into our tempo and what our expectations are on the field, off the field, in the meeting room,” Childress said. “And I think those are important things to set.”

Safety Darren Sharper talked about how sore he was following Sunday’s practice.

“I think that’s a good thing,” he said, “because it means that we’re working hard.”

Working hard with little doubt about the way things will work under the new staff.

Mike Tice, who was fired in January, routinely stressed crisp workouts and placed a premium on efficient practices. But one area where Tice had trouble was with projecting a consistent persona to his players.

Some days, he was the stern taskmaster. On others, was the deeply caring father figure. On still others, he was the class clown.

Childress, at least so far, isn’t leaving any room for wonder.

“He’s a straightforward guy,” Sharper said. “His job here is to do his job. You don’t really come in here and expect to be going up to eat lunch with your head coach too often. You want to come here and work and that’s what championship teams do.”

Eventually, as he spends more time with the team and gets to know individual players on more of a personal level, Childress might let the guys get to know him better. Sharper and Childress share mutual friends in football, and Sharper said he’s been told that his new boss does, indeed, have a personality.

Between now and the start of the regular season, though, the priority for coaches and players will be placed on establishing comfort with the offensive and defensive schemes.

Very few jobs are safe, either, especially with the draft fast approaching and the strong possibility that several of the 65 veterans on the roster will be released later this spring or summer.

“Everybody’s out here working, trying to prove themselves,” tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. “Because it’s a year-to-year league. It doesn’t matter what you did a year or two years ago, it matters what you’re going to do every season.”

NOTES: Quarterback Brad Johnson was excused by Childress from Sunday’s practice for a personal matter. ... Defensive end Kenechi Udeze is ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation and already back at his starting spot. Udeze suffered a serious injury to his left knee last September, but he said he feels fine.

Vikings adjust to all-business Childress (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=123192&section=Sports)

COJOMAY
04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Quote:
New Minnesota coach 'Major Dad' runs his team and camp with a military-like approach

For those ou us old enough to rember, it was a terible year for us Vikings fans.

I understand your concern Singer. Steckle was a disaster. But I think there's a big difference here. I don't think this is a military style approach in the sense of "salute me, I'm your coach" and disclipine type of thing as much as it is a perfected regime to get the most out of the players at a high tempo but keeping your head screwed on straight. Something the Vikings have lacked over the years. In a game which moves rapidly, the players have to keep their heads. The last few years I'd get so frustrated over stupid mistakes like false starts that I almost puked.
Tice chalked it to to patterns to complicated for the players. But I don't think that was it at all. They were just poorly coached and seemed lost sometimes.
I think Childress' approach is designed to not lose your head when the going gets tough and you are tired.
I like the style so far and from the sounds of some of the players, I think they like the workouts, too.
I think this qute from Sharper says a lot:

“He’s a straightforward guy,” Sharper said. “His job here is to do his job. You don’t really come in here and expect to be going up to eat lunch with your head coach too often. You want to come here and work and that’s what championship teams do.”
I almost get the feeling that he didn't think the past regime ran the team like a championship team does.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I understand your concern Singer. Steckle was a disaster. But I think there's a big difference here. I don't think this is a military style approach in the sense of "salute me, I'm your coach" and disclipine type of thing as much as it is a perfected regime to get the most out of the players at a high tempo but keeping your head screwed on straight. Something the Vikings have lacked over the years. In a game which moves rapidly, the players have to keep their heads. The last few years I'd get so frustrated over stupid mistakes like false starts that I almost puked.
Tice chalked it to to patterns to complicated for the players. But I don't think that was it at all. They were just poorly coached and seemed lost sometimes.
I think Childress' approach is designed to not lose your head when the going gets tough and you are tired.
I like the style so far and from the sounds of some of the players, I think they like the workouts, too.
I think this qute from Sharper says a lot

I almost get the feeling that he didn't think the past regime ran the team like a championship team does.the past regime was a joke

AngloVike
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I almost get the feeling that he didn't think the past regime ran the team like a championship team does.

Think players like Sharper and Smoot saw a difference in coming from other teams which were run on way different lines. It sounds as if Sharper feels the players weren't worked enough in order to be fully prepared.
As was commented after certain games last season - it looked as if the team had not learnt from it's previous weeks mistakes. There are going to be some players that are in for a shock if they're expecting similar training routines to last year.

Ltrey33
04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I almost get the feeling that he didn't think the past regime ran the team like a championship team does.the past regime was a joke

I don't think Childress has any respect for the way this team was run under Tice. If he had, he may have kept some of the same assistants, or maybe the "franchise" quarterback, but he got rid of everything. I don't blame him either. The team was undisciplined from top to bottom under Tice, IMO.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 03:16 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I don't think Childress has any respect for the way this team was run under Tice. If he had, he may have kept some of the same assistants, or maybe the "franchise" quarterback, but he got rid of everything. I don't blame him either. The team was undisciplined from top to bottom under Tice, IMO.getting a New coach is the same as getting a new boss at your job, most of the time productivity gets better, because the old boss has run everything into the ground

badbois
04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Childress keeps team on the go

If nothing else this weekend, Vikings players received a healthy dose of the high-intensity practice style of new coach Brad Childress. As a three-day minicamp ended Sunday morning, safety Darren Sharper said, "I'm more sore than I've ever been at this time in April."

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: April 09, 2006 – 10:41 PM

If nothing else this weekend, Vikings players received a healthy dose of the high- intensity practice style of new coach Brad Childress. As a three-day minicamp ended Sunday morning, safety Darren Sharper said, "I'm more sore than I've ever been at this time in April."
"It was just the speed of practice and how we were running around," Sharper said. "I think that's probably a good thing. It means we're working hard, and hopefully it will pay off when the season starts."

Indeed, Childress' first practices were most notable for the fast pace between drills and the constant movement during them. Rarely were players seen standing still.

"I think we got some people acclimated into our tempo," Childress said.

"Across the board, I think we could be in a little bit level of cardio conditioning. ... That's always a question this time of year. Body weight and conditioning, those are two things that take no talent to take care of."

"Our ability to operate under duress is going to dictate how successful we are," Tomlin said. "We're creating a little adversity by the tempo of stuff because we want to get to know them, and I think they're doing a nice job of fighting through that."

[b]Schaub redux

Earlier this month, multiple sources said the Vikings and Atlanta Falcons had discussed trade parameters for backup quarterback Matt Schaub. Sunday, a top Vikings official denied that the team has made an offer for Schaub, apparently drawing a distinction between general discussions and a formal offer.

"We have made no offer to trade for the player," said Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations. Brzezinski would not elaborate.

Several teams have pursued Schaub this offseason, but the Falcons want a first-round pick in return. The Vikings appear set to start Brad Johnson in 2006 and draft their quarterback of the future later this month.

Etc.

• Childress excused Johnson from Sunday's practice to attend to a personal matter. Mike McMahon worked with the first-team offense during the 80-minute workout.

Childress keeps team on the go (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/361174.html)
He didn't see vince young on the list? what the hell does that mean?

Webbigale2002
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
The way that coach Childress seems to be running things is exactly what this team needs. I've always thought during Dennis Green and Mike Tice's reign that this team lacked the proper guidance.

V-Unit
04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
This is the exact style of coaching we need. We need a coach like this for the last 4 years IMO.

Json
04-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Go Childress.

TARKenton
04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Nice to see Kenechi recovering quickly. Whats gonna be better this year? Our O-line or our D-Line?

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
"TARKenton" wrote:

Nice to see Kenechi recovering quickly. Whats gonna be better this year? Our O-line or our D-Line?all of it

ThorSPL
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Gotta go D-Line on that... O line has question marks on the right side....

D line has at least a backup at every position who could start on some teams; we have some DAMN impressive backups in there from what I was able to see....

DaunteHOF
04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
as long as it makes us a better team then I dont see a problem with it

DaunteHOF
04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
If it makes us a better team then I dont have a problem with it

Slade
04-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't bother checking out SI or ESPN anymore for Vikings news....I just come here. Because "If its in PPO, then its real" .....or should be :grin:

Slade
04-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't bother checking out SI or ESPN anymore for Vikings news....I just come here. Because "If its in PPO, then its real" .....or should be :grin:

damn error message.....double posted again :mad: