View Full Version : Vikings receivers ready for new chances

singersp
04-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Posted on Mon, Apr. 10, 2006

Vikings receivers ready for new chances

Williamson competing to start; Robinson happy with featured role

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Vikings coach Brad Childress says he isn't looking for any one wide receiver to step up and fill Nate Burleson's shoes, but Troy Williamson is up for the challenge.

The team's No. 1 draft choice from last year used a three-day weekend minicamp to begin the process of proving he is an NFL starter, while Koren Robinson settled confidently into his new role as No. 1 receiver.

"I've been ready to do that since I came into the league," Robinson said. "I had my issues, but I feel like I'm now back to where I want to be in my life and just focusing on football."

With his off-field problems behind him, Robinson moved to the top of the Vikings' receivers chart even before Burleson left for Seattle, signing a three-year, $12.7 million contract on the eve of free agency.

Coming off a season in which he made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner but caught just 22 passes, Robinson is looking forward to playing a feature role as lead receiver in the Vikings' new West Coast offense.

"I'm loving it," he said. "It's the same offense I played in when I was in Seattle. I had a big year (in 2002) with 1,240 yards and 78 catches, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm the No. 1 guy right now, and I'm looking forward to a big year.'

So is Williamson, who is being given the first shot at the other starting receiver spot.

He had an unspectacular rookie season with the Vikings, catching 24 passes for 372 yards and two touchdowns, but Williamson said he felt much more at home during this minicamp than he did a year ago.

"Right now, I'm just getting into the playbook and learning what I've got to do," he said. "I'm just going on from there. The draft, you really don't know what's going to happen. Now I know what's going on and what I can expect come training camp."

Based on what Robinson has seen this offseason, Williamson has the right stuff to live up to the Vikings' expectations.

"I feel like he's going to be the other starter with me," Robinson said. "We're going to rely on him. He's going to have to carry his weight and some of the load on offense. I feel like his focus is up during the offseason workout program. He's trying to learn the playbook as fast as he can and doing extra stuff to get better to show everybody his mind is right and he's ready to help us to the next level."

Looking back on his rookie season, Williamson called it "pretty much a learning experience," but Childress has said he expects the former South Carolina star to blossom this fall.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said he and the other coaches feel good about their receiving corps, even without Burleson.

"Well, we look at it as an opportunity for those other guys that are still here," Bevell said. "We felt like we had a good stable of wide receivers. That was a strong point of this offense, and we still feel that way. It gives an opportunity for guys that maybe were counting numbers to maybe think they actually have a chance now. They've all put forth great effort. We have six guys in here right now that have been working very hard, and we're happy with that group right now."

Childress seemed less pleased when asked Sunday to evaluate the minicamp performance of his receivers.

"In general, guys that get paid to run need to make sure that they're able to run," he said. "I think we need to be in a little bit better condition. That's always a question this time of year. Body weight and conditioning — those are two things that take no talent to take care of. I would say that, across the board, as a team we could be at a little bit better level of cardio condition."

That comment was typical of the no-nonsense, businesslike atmosphere of Childress' first minicamp. But Robinson sees the method behind the tough-love strategy.

"I like coach," he said. "He's a straight shooter, just straightforward. Right now, he has to set a standard. Some people might think he's being hard, but this is his first head-coaching job. This is all new to him. You want guys to do what you say, so you've got to come in and step on some toes a little bit. Once you set a standard, everybody can relax.

"Everybody calls him a disciplinarian. I don't know if that's what was needed here, but I feel it will help us out in the little parts of the game and normal everyday life in the locker room, and that will carry over into the season."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

Vikings receivers ready for new chances (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/14305281.htm)

UndisputedVike
04-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Good read, thanks.

singersp
04-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Based on what Robinson has seen this offseason, Williamson has the right stuff to live up to the Vikings' expectations.

Looking back on his rookie season, Williamson called it "pretty much a learning experience," but Childress has said he expects the former South Carolina star to blossom this fall.

The more positive things I hear about our players, the more pumped I get for the season.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 02:03 PM
"singersp" wrote:

The more positive things I hear about our players, the more pumped I get for the season.the offseason is too long but I guess it gives you something to look forward to.

ViKing24
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Koren Robinson is the only good reciever I know the rest are terrible.
Marcus Robinson can only catch those small distance ones 10 yards from the QB

Travis Taylor- He does the same thing he can't catch worth anything. His longest reception was like 30 yards

Troy Williamson- showed promise last year with his great jumping and speed abilitiy he might be able to step in Burleson's shoes or even better.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
"ViKing24" wrote:

Travis Taylor- He does the same thing he can't catch worth anything. His longest reception was like 30 yards

Troy Williamson- showed promise last year with his great jumping and speed abilitiy he might be able to step in Burleson's shoes or even better.I hope they learned not build around just one reciever they, found out that was a mistake when moss left

Ltrey33
04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm glad Childress seems happy with the receiving corps. After receivers like T-Ho and Freddie Bitchell in Philly he probably thinks he's died and gone to heaven now that he has guys with talent AND good attitudes.

NodakPaul
04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
"ViKing24" wrote:

Troy Williamson- showed promise last year with his great jumping and speed abilitiy he might be able to step in Burleson's shoes or even better.

K-Rob is a great reciever, but that doesn't mean that the others are terrible. I think T-Will is going to have a break out year. Taylor is an outstanding 3rd WR. He hasn't done anything to suggest otherwise to me. And M-Rob might be at his best when catching 10 yard passes... but there will be a lot of those under the WCO.

We are fairly deep and balanced at WR this year.

Prophet
04-10-2006, 08:54 PM
KFFL
Vikings | K. Robinson happy to be No. 1 wide receiver
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:51:23 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson settled confidently into his new role as No. 1 wide receiver at the team's weekend minicamp. "I've been ready to do that since I came into the league," Robinson said. "I had my issues, but I feel like I'm now back to where I want to be in my life and just focusing on football." Coming off a season in which he made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner but caught just 22 passes, Robinson is looking forward to playing a feature role as lead receiver in the Vikings' new West Coast offense. "I'm loving it," he said. "It's the same offense I played in when I was in Seattle. I had a big year (in 2002) with 1,240 yards and 78 catches, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm the No. 1 guy right now, and I'm looking forward to a big year."

badbois
04-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I think we will be solid if unspectacular

VikesfaninWis
04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
"singersp" wrote:

The more positive things I hear about our players, the more pumped I get for the season.

I'm right behind ya on that one singers. I actually believe that I am more pumped about this coming season, then I was entering last season.. I think we have alot more to look forward to now.

BadlandsVikings
04-10-2006, 09:17 PM
it helps when you have a fresh start

Json
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Go T. Will. I have my hopes high for this guy. Now we'll see if he can live up to his draft pick status.

midgensa
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I think that T-Will could move toward superstar status this year ... and K-Rob will really excel as the primary target ... I am looking forward to our receiver's progression.

Benet
04-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I really like our receiving corps, even without Burleson I think we've got good talent there. Koren Robinson is obviously our #1 guy, Troy is our #2 with afterburners to spare, Travis Taylor is a solid slot-receiver who has great hands, and Marcus Robinson is a great red-zone threat to bring in alongside Wiggins when you have those 1st-and-10's inside the 20 yard line.

Let's just have faith that it all plays out as we hope it will!

Slade
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Our stable of WR's is pretty good. No one guy stands out. We have vets & rookies that just want to show what they can do. Koren could be a Pro Bowl WR this year as he is quick & can catch the deep balls. He isn't afraid to go over the middle either. T-Will is coming into his own, he just needs reps. I like T Taylor alot. He caught some tough passes last year that impressed me. Wiggins will be a HUGE part of our passing game this year though. Probably more that ever, the TE's will be top options for our QB's as will the RB's on the screens. Fason & Taylor will be lining up in the slot for some fade/post routes. I'm excited to get the ball rolling

vikes09
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
travis taylor was supposed to be our star this last year (and did decently well), but koren has hogged the spotlight, and people have lost sight of that. my worries are shifted more towards RB, and how chester taylor will handle a starting job. hopefully he can become "brian-esque" and move around and do some crazy stuff, and do some exotic motions. WR is a pretty solid position with seattles #1 guy, Ravens #1 guy, and our #7 overall pick.

fabybaby32
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I love our WR's. Like said before, no one guy really stands out. If you think about it though, the past few Superbowl teams have not had a standout WR with the exception of the Steelers and Hines. Before that, the Pats didnt have any stud, neither did the Bucs when they won it. I really think our guys will all have a solid year. Especially my fellow Gator Travis Taylor.

vikenheel_zdl16
04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I think our starting wideouts will be K-Rob and Travis.

nephilimstorm
04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
i wonder...Chester Taylor was drafted in what round and what college i keep forgetting...and wasnt he suppose to start for baltimore if they let Jamal go??
I know just dont have much info on him

Benet
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I just pulled up Travis Taylor's stats out of personal curiosity:

50 604 12.1 4

(That's number of receptions, yards, yards per catch, and TD's)

He was our most productive receiver in terms of number of receptions and yardage.. I think he could really grow into a possession-receiver role.

Slade
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
"nephilimstorm" wrote:

i wonder...Chester Taylor was drafted in what round and what college i keep forgetting...and wasnt he suppose to start for baltimore if they let Jamal go??
I know just dont have much info on him

Full Name: Chester Lamar Taylor
Born: September 22, 1979
River Rouge, MI
Height: 5-11
Weight: 213 lbs. Age: 26
Pos: RB
Experience: 4 years
College: Toledo
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:6 Pick:35, Ravens

Freya
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Tra-vis Tay-lor!!!!! Woohoo!
Said Freya as she did her best immitation of a Viking Cheerleader dance move. :lol:

SheyD11285
04-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Start Williamson! You don't sit the #7 overall pick two years straight unless you want a bust! The kid has talent why waste it?

DaunteHOF
04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Anyone else think we need another possesion receiver since Nate left?

viks_fan21
04-11-2006, 02:29 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Anyone else think we need another possesion receiver since Nate left?

I think that K-Rob is actually a decent possession receiver, just not the way we used him last year. Troy is our burner (obviously), and TT will also be a solid possession receiver. Now, if Martin Nance, Mike Hass, or Derek Hagan happen to fall to us in the 3rd, put me down as very interested.

SharperVikings
04-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Williamson.....hes ready for a breakout season...last year, whether it was physically or mentally, he didnt live up to his 'expectations'.......but itll be different this year...! :lol:

cajunvike
04-11-2006, 11:56 PM
"Freya" wrote:

Tra-vis Tay-lor!!!!! Woohoo!
Said Freya as she did her best immitation of a Viking Cheerleader dance move. :lol:

:tongue: A link to the video would be nice! :grin:

Zeus
04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
"Benet" wrote:

I really like our receiving corps, even without Burleson I think we've got good talent there. Koren Robinson is obviously our #1 guy, Troy is our #2 with afterburners to spare, Travis Taylor is a solid slot-receiver who has great hands, and Marcus Robinson is a great red-zone threat to bring in alongside Wiggins when you have those 1st-and-10's inside the 20 yard line.

Let's just have faith that it all plays out as we hope it will!

Amen.

Last year, with all the hype, our top 4 were Burleson, M. Robinson, Taylor and Williamson.

This year, with no hype, our top 4 are K. Robinson, M. Robinson, Taylor and Williamson. I can't see how that isn't an improvement. K-Rob had some *great* seasons before the booze got him in Seattle and both Marcus and Travis are sure-handed. Williamson with a season under his belt will be absolutely better.

And we've got fabulous TE pass-catching options with Wiggins and JimmyK.

If Mewelde can keep himself healthy and take the game seriously, the Vikes have as many weapons as any team in the league.

=Z=

minvikes01
04-12-2006, 04:31 AM
i like KRob and TWill starting, taylor at #3, with marcus robinson coming in for redzone opportunities

SharperVikings
04-12-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm glad no one has been hyping us up this year....there is nothing for the players to hear, and no huge expectations to live up to...I wasnt too happy when ESPN said we were a superbowl prediction....I knew it wouldnt happen then! Every year they pick Indi, and it just doesnt happen for them...so I knew it wouldnt for us!

No one is picking us this year....and I'm glad, beacuse if we get that far...no one on ESPN can say 'I told ya so!' We can show everybody that they are totally wrong on their thoughts of the '06 vikings....when the season begins!! :lol:

Zeus
04-12-2006, 05:10 AM
"minvikes01" wrote:

i like KRob and TWill starting, taylor at #3, with marcus robinson coming in for redzone opportunities

I don't see how Williamson can step into the #2 position right off the bat. He was so far behind last year - and he's got to learn a new offense this year.

Travis Taylor is the best choice for a #2 at the start of the season, with Williamson working his way into that spot (perhaps) by the mid-to-end of the season.

=Z=

Jeremy
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"minvikes01" wrote:

I don't see how Williamson can step into the #2 position right off the bat. He was so far behind last year - and he's got to learn a new offense this year.

Travis Taylor is the best choice for a #2 at the start of the season, with Williamson working his way into that spot (perhaps) by the mid-to-end of the season.

=Z=Travis Taylor has to learn the same offense. Really the only guy with a jump start is Koren Robinson who wroked in that system in Seattle.

They pay the kid a ton of money to just sit on the bench. He's getting paid starter money. Let him earn his keep, take his lumps, and get up to speed ASAP. Bringing him along slowly two years in a row is kinda pointless.

digital420
04-12-2006, 09:50 AM
T.w will def be seeing a lot more of the field this year. I liked him when they picked him up.. and he's always gonna be the guy we got to replace R.m but i have to agree that trying to ease him into the situation is just gonna hinder him.

toss him in the deep end, and if he swims let him see how fast and how far he can go. if he sinks.. put M.r next to him to get this kid ready..

either way he'll never show what he's got unless he's given the chance, and a certain level of things is demanded from him.

DiGiTaL

Caine
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
"ViKing24" wrote:

Koren Robinson is the only good reciever I know the rest are terrible. Marcus Robinson can only catch those small distance ones 10 yards from the QB

I couldn't disagree more with that statement if I tried.

Marcus Robinson averaged 16.6 yds per catch last season. His longest was a 68 yarder. And of his 31 catches, 5 were TDs.

Travis Taylor averages 12.1 yds per catch (his longest was 31 yds). His 50 catches were vital in moving the chains in almost every game. He catches darn near everything thrown at him, and in my opinion has solidified his role as our possession receiver quite nicely.

Troy Williamson, being a rookie last season, wasn't much of a factor, but DID show flashes of ability. We agree that he will improve this season, but we disagree that he will fill Burleson's shoes...I think he'll be much better than that.

Koren Robinson does indeed look to be our #1 guy right now, but don't sell the others short. Our strength right now isn't in having 1 or 2 awesome receivers...it's in having a stable of very capable guys who can all produce in any situation.

Caine

Zeus
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"minvikes01" wrote:

=Z=
Travis Taylor has to learn the same offense. Really the only guy with a jump start is Koren Robinson who wroked in that system in Seattle.

They pay the kid a ton of money to just sit on the bench. He's getting paid starter money. Let him earn his keep, take his lumps, and get up to speed ASAP. Bringing him along slowly two years in a row is kinda pointless.

Money should *never* be the reason you play someone. Ability is what matters. Williamson had a terrible time trying to get separation from DBs off the line - hopefully that skill will come with time.

Taylor, being a six-year veteran, has those skills already and will be able to pick up the offense quicker. And he's got great hands.

=Z=