PDA

View Full Version : Cottrell's defensive ideas

AngloVike
08-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Cottrell has some good views on the D and I like the idea that we're going to be aggressive - O'Leary wanted to do this last year but didn't quite have the personnel to do it properly.
I'm looking to see a few clips on the sports shows of some Minnesota players playing hard and letting the opposition know they are there

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/9288493.htm

BigEasyViking
08-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the article Anglo. i hope that Ted can whip these guys into shape? I would love to see the Purple People Eaters back in business. With all of the talent that we have I don't see why this can't happen.

AngloVike
08-02-2004, 06:47 AM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

Thanks for the article Anglo. i hope that Ted can whip these guys into shape? I would love to see the Purple People Eaters back in business. With all of the talent that we have I don't see why this can't happen.

Would be great to see the Vikes feared for defence as well as just offense.. nothing gets the crowd going more than a good defensive play - that'll help crank up the noise in the Dome :twisted: :twisted:

sdvikefan
08-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Great article Anglo!

I would also like to see us be more aggressive. Maybe now with a shutdown corner and another emerging corner we can afford to blitz a little more.

Big Daddy
08-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Great article Anglo!

I can't wait to see sports reporters and espn giving the Vikings defence respect. This is going to be a good year for the Vikings!

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-02-2004, 10:53 AM
agreed with everyone. this is gonna be an exciting year for the viking franchise!!

muchluv4smoot
08-02-2004, 11:42 AM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

Great article Anglo!

I would also like to see us be more aggressive. Maybe now with a shutdown corner and another emerging corner we can afford to blitz a little more.

I would say that bot our Cb's are shutdown CB's. Brian williams did a great job last year, and he was playing our #1 CB spot and the other teams #1 WR. This year he will be our #2 CB and playing the other teams #2 WR. I think brian williams can definately shut down most, if not all, #2 WR's in the NFL. I think the addition of winfield and the progression of williams, will allow us to play a D kind of like philly has with their 2 good CB's in the past. Expect to see us blitz the house a few times and leave williams and winfield on islands. But also, with kevin williams emerging as a great pass rush threat, the drafting of udeze, and hovan loosing weight and looking quick again, we shouldn't need to blitz as much as we would have had to in the past. I just see this group as a very dangerous group of D players, who can beat you with the blitz, or by sending only their front 4. I can't wait to see these guys play!

AngloVike
08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

[

I would say that bot our Cb's are shutdown CB's. Brian williams did a great job last year, and he was playing our #1 CB spot and the other teams #1 WR. This year he will be our #2 CB and playing the other teams #2 WR. I think brian williams can definately shut down most, if not all, #2 WR's in the NFL.

Good point , last year would have given him good experience and confidence. God if we could have two CBs that can play like that ! it would be unheard of in recent Vikes defensive history

casper
08-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Man is Cottrell heaven sent or what...what a great attitude just what our D needs, :happy9: great Article Thanks Anglo :notworthy:

RK.
08-02-2004, 12:42 PM
It will get off the field as soon as possible, enabling the offense to go to work, instead of trying to hold the opposing offense to one point fewer than the Vikings' offense scores.

Amen to that. I got so sick of the prevent a win defense last year I could barely stand it. :pukeright:

rjkvikings
08-02-2004, 01:04 PM
"RK" wrote:

It will get off the field as soon as possible, enabling the offense to go to work, instead of trying to hold the opposing offense to one point fewer than the Vikings' offense scores.

Amen to that. I got so sick of the prevent a win defense last year I could barely stand it. :pukeright:

Isn't everyone :!: My dad who doesn't even like the Vikings was yelling at the TV just because of that stupid D.

VKG4LFE
08-02-2004, 01:04 PM
What's wrong with your dad rjkviking? He doesn't like the vikes!!

AngloVike
08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

"RK" wrote:

Isn't everyone :!: My dad who doesn't even like the Vikings was yelling at the TV just because of that stupid D.

prevent defense is ok if you have the players that can run it ok, we never seemed to have them and consequently got shredded every other play :x

rjkvikings
08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

What's wrong with your dad rjkviking? He doesn't like the vikes!!

I'm not really sure. He doesn't really not like them. He just doesn't like them. He hates the Packers though (especially Favre). So at least he doesn't cheer for them.

VKG4LFE
08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
So who does he cheer for?

rjkvikings
08-02-2004, 01:22 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

So who does he cheer for?Whoever is playing the Packers, lol. He doesn't really have a team. He just loves watching any football.

VKG4LFE
08-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Oh! As long as whoever is playing the packers, that good by me!!

vikesgirl
08-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Oh, to be back in the days of the Purple People Eaters! It would be great if this D does well and they liken them to the PPE.

Ditto on the sick of the prevent the loss Defense.