PDA

View Full Version : Tank Williams out to become hit in secondary



singersp
04-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Posted on Sun, Apr. 09, 2006

Tank Williams out to become hit in secondary

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Although he had a career-high 78 tackles in 16 starts, safety Tank Williams didn't feel like himself last year.

"I wasn't 100 percent, but I knew the team (the Tennessee Titans) needed me out there," said Williams, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in 2004. "They needed a veteran presence. It was rough, but I knew it was something I needed to do."

After two days of practice at the Vikings veterans minicamp, Williams said he feels more confident in the health of his knee, noting that he couldn't run this well at this point a year ago.

Now, Williams is looking forward to replacing strong safety Corey Chavous and playing alongside Pro Bowl free safety Darren Sharper.

"I feel we complement each other well, for the simple fact that he's a ball hawk, and that's something I want to do more of," Williams said. "I can do that. But I'm known for being a run-stuffer and a big hitter, so he can help me. I look forward to working together with him, as well as the great corners on the outside."

Upon signing him late last month, Vikings coach Brad Childress mentioned the possibility of Williams lining up near the line of scrimmage, using his size (6 feet 3, 220 pounds). Williams welcomes such an opportunity, especially because he was used to that role at Stanford.

"I can do that. I like the versatility," he said. "I might be a big safety. But I know I can run. People may think they have a mismatch, but in actuality, they don't."

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Williams appeared to be "cruising" Friday morning. But he said Williams has improved since then.

"But you can tell he's a quick study because basically what he knows is what he's learned this weekend, and he's doing things in a sound nature on the field already," Tomlin said.

Sharper said he is familiar with the former second round pick from his days with the Titans.

"I know he's a physical safety, a big guy, and also a guy who has experience because he's been in the league for four years now," Sharper said. "He's a guy who has range."

But Sharper said another player shouldn't be overlooked: Willie Offord.

"You can't discount Willie Offord, either. He's going to be back and vying for that spot," Sharper said.

Either way, Sharper said, the winner of the battle will bring something similar.

"Whoever it is, those guys are both physical safeties, and that's what you need at that spot," Sharper said.

Williams promised that is what fans will come to appreciate about him.

"When they see me on the field, the fans are going to come to like the hits," Williams said. "If I see someone on the field, I'm definitely going to try to lay them out."

Tank Williams out to become hit in secondary (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14298683.htm?source=rss&channel=twincities_football)

singersp
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
"Williams promised that is what fans will come to appreciate about him.

"When they see me on the field, the fans are going to come to like the hits," Williams said. "If I see someone on the field, I'm definitely going to try to lay them out."

Gotta love that. I'm getting all "Tanked" up. :grin:

VikesfaninWis
04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree singers... That pumped me up the moment I read it... He is a hard hitting safety, and I can't wait to see him knock the sh!t out of his covers..

vikeswin2005
04-09-2006, 03:51 PM
da boy can hit that is 4 sure

Ltrey33
04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
He's gon' jack sum bitchez up!

Benet
04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Here's to Tank putting the STRONG in Strong Safety!!

V4L
04-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Tank>> Willie

I hope so!

purpleFavreEaters
04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I REally hope Tank makes some serious hits this year. I am really looking forward to seeing what this guy can do.

JASEMYSTER
04-10-2006, 01:01 AM
What number does he wear? If it is 24 or 47 it will look really familliar!!!

magicci
04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
"JASEMYSTER" wrote:

What number does he wear? If it is 24 or 47 it will look really familliar!!!
to who?

VikesFan4Life
04-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I think he's wearing #25. I was looking at all the pictures from Friday's mini-camp and he was wearing #25. I don't know what number Will Hunter changed to; I didn't see him in any of the pics.

BTW, I'm aware that the Vikings website still lists Will Hunter as #25, and that Tank Williams has no number. They are notorious for either incomplete updates or no updates at all.

Trust me, Tank is wearing #25... :smile:

A little off topic, but DeQuincy Scott is wearing #92 in case anyone cared...

muchluv4smoot
04-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Now that Tank is back to 100%, I think he is gonna have a really good year. I just wish we signed him to more then a 1 year deal. We now are most likely gonna end up having to pay a lot more money to keep him next offseason, after he does well this year, then we would have if we gave him a 3-4 year deal this offseason.

muchluv4smoot
04-10-2006, 01:18 AM
"magicci" wrote:

"JASEMYSTER" wrote:

What number does he wear? If it is 24 or 47 it will look really familliar!!!
to who?


24 should be easy to figure out. It wasn't that long ago he was here.

FuadFan
04-10-2006, 01:27 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

Now that Tank is back to 100%, I think he is gonna have a really good year. I just wish we signed him to more then a 1 year deal. We now are most likely gonna end up having to pay a lot more money to keep him next offseason, after he does well this year, then we would have if we gave him a 3-4 year deal this offseason.

Why would he agree to that he can get more money next year when there will be fewer safeties on the market if he proves himself under this one year deal.

NDVikingFan66
04-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Will Tank Williams finally be our answer....I hope so....

I would love to see someone hit like Joey Browner did

muchluv4smoot
04-10-2006, 01:44 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

Now that Tank is back to 100%, I think he is gonna have a really good year. I just wish we signed him to more then a 1 year deal. We now are most likely gonna end up having to pay a lot more money to keep him next offseason, after he does well this year, then we would have if we gave him a 3-4 year deal this offseason.

Why would he agree to that he can get more money next year when there will be fewer safeties on the market if he proves himself under this one year deal.


Oh I'm sure we could have gotten him to sign a long term deal if we gave him a decent signing bonus. Sure he wants to prove himself this year and get paid next year, but if you offer a guy, coming off an injury and not the greatest year like he had, a good signing bonus, he is gonna take it, because it is guaranteed money.

farvathevikinglover
04-10-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm glad we got him and I think he'll do good, but I'll miss Chavous, he had some good seasons for us.

Json
04-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I can't wait to hear the guys on ESPN say Brett Favre you got "JACKED UP"! After watching the tank steam roll his ass.

magicci
04-10-2006, 03:19 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

"JASEMYSTER" wrote:

What number does he wear? If it is 24 or 47 it will look really familliar!!!
to who?


24 should be easy to figure out. It wasn't that long ago he was here.
i cant remember numbers too well at the moment... :sad:

singersp
04-10-2006, 06:09 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Will Tank Williams finally be our answer....I hope so....

I would love to see someone hit like Joey Browner did

I loved the way Joey hit. I'll never forget the play where a guy forgot to call a fair catch on a kick-off or punt & Joey just leveled the guy.

MensaTice
04-10-2006, 06:12 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"If I see someone on the field, I'm definitely going to try to lay them out."

That is a great quote. I love that mindset ina safety. This guy is going to get the Dome rockin' this year

BradTheMan14
04-10-2006, 06:15 AM
hes gonna be rockin other playerz domes too