PDA

View Full Version : Udeze has returned far ahead of schedule



singersp
04-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Vikings notes: Udeze has returned far ahead of schedule

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: April 09, 2006 – 7:10 AM

An unexpected sight at Vikings minicamp this weekend has been the return of defensive end Kenechi Udeze, who has been cleared for all football activities after undergoing serious knee surgery in October.
Udeze has resumed his role as the starting left end six months after doctors used a "microfracture" procedure to repair damaged cartilage in his left knee. Similar surgeries have ended the careers of some players, and he was not expected back before training camp at the earliest.

Saturday, however, he said he is fully recovered.

"Good genes, I guess," he said after the Vikings' afternoon practice. "I've had no problems, no swelling. It's a little better than I thought it would be by now."

The Vikings' first-round pick two years ago, Udeze was slowed by a shoulder injury in 2004 and played in only three games last season before the knee injury. He raved Saturday about new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, who he said "has brought me home to what I did when I was doing in college."

Schaub update

The Vikings were turned down in their most recent offer for Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub, and they appear on track to draft their quarterback of the future later this month. The Vikings offered Atlanta one of their two second-round picks for Schaub, who many believe is ready to start for a West Coast-style offense like the Vikings'.

The Falcons have insisted on getting a first-round pick for Schaub. The Vikings have been unwilling to part with their first-round selection, No. 17 overall, to get him.

Fox moving around

The Vikings have been using second-year defensive back Dustin Fox at cornerback and safety this weekend as they evaluate candidates for the nickel job.

Fox, the Vikings' third-round pick in 2005, was penciled in as a backup safety before breaking his left arm in training camp and missing the season. He played cornerback at Ohio State, and coaches plan to give him a look there this spring as well.

"I guess they feel that's where I'm best suited," Fox said. "I feel comfortable there. I like it. It feels like home. As long as I can do it, I'll do it."

Etc.

• Chris Liwienski worked with the first team Saturday morning at right guard as the Vikings continued experimenting at the position. Liwienski, Adam Goldberg and Anthony Herrera all have been part of the rotation.

• Special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro said punter Chris Kluwe (torn right ACL) is "right on track" in his recovery. Ferraro estimated the total rehabilitation as an eight- or nine-month process, putting Kluwe's return past the start of training camp.

• From the Truth in Advertising Department: New coach Brad Childress was asked if he was happy that backup quarterback Mike McMahon became available on the free-agent market. The stern coach's reply: "I don't know if I deal in happy that much." Childress went on to say that he was glad McMahon accepted the Vikings' contract offer.

Udeze has returned far ahead of schedule (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/359986.html)

VikesfaninWis
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Good article singers. I like that Udeze is far ahead of schedule. As long as he stays smart and has no setbacks in training camp, he will be 100% come regular season..

I really hope Kluwe can rebound from this injury. He was one hell of a punter for us last season, and we need him to get great field position.

It sounds that Childress is not over excited to have McMahon on the Vikings. I think he did it basically to have another QB that has already been in his syatem. If that is the case, I have to give Childress credit for doing that instead of having O' Suckalot as our backup.

singersp
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Things are really shaping up. What I find most uplifting from all the players articles I've read is their praise for the new coaches & buying into the new system.

I'm still wondering about Kluwe & his ability to return as a great punter. If his return is beyoind minicamp, will it also be beyond the start of the regular season?

Where does the 9 months put him after the injury?

He's the only punter on the roster & I would expect them to sign an interim punter. Unless they are going to call upon Sharper.

Even after he recovers, it's an unknown how well Kluwe will be able to punt the ball.

KirillDM
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
i am really worried about RG and all the experemints that are happening. Usually when that happens nothing good comes out of it. I hope it gets settled quickly

Jeremy
04-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I didn't know he had the "microfracture" procedure. That sucks. He won't last much longer in the NFL. They drill holes in your knee diring that surgury. Stephen Davis had it done last year. His career is over now. He started having knee problems at the end of thia past season.

ColoradoVike
04-10-2006, 01:12 AM
I don't know the recovery rates for that type of surgery, but one ought to remember that running backs, as a category of player, don't have very long careers. There could have been other factors working to end Davis' career. I just hope Udeze's "good genes" keep being a factor in his recovery and play.

Jeremy
04-10-2006, 04:28 AM
"ColoradoVike" wrote:

I don't know the recovery rates for that type of surgery, but one ought to remember that running backs, as a category of player, don't have very long careers. There could have been other factors working to end Davis' career. I just hope Udeze's "good genes" keep being a factor in his recovery and play. It depends on your defination of recovery. He'll be able to walk again, but it's highly doubtful that he'll ever play at a high level for long time. Terrel Davis had the surgery and never recovered. He was still young and in his prime. The only sports guy to ever really come back from it was Jason Kidd. The sucess rate is really low. I'd be suprised if he was still in the league 3 years from now.

Recent pro athletes that have had the same sergury.

Chris Webber, Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, Terrell Brandon, Jamal Mashburn none of these guy played anywhere near the same level after surgery.

The microfracture procedure itself is fairly straightforward: Holes are drilled into the top of the femur or the patellar bone, inducing blood to seep out and clot. The scar tissue acts as a cushion sort of a makeshift cartilage to prevent bone-on-bone contact.

It's a huge deal for a pro athlete to have this done. It's much worse than Culpepper's sergury even though he tore 3 ligaments. They do it as a last resort treatment. Rarely does anyone ever fully recover. The "official" recovery rate is 75%. For pro athletes it's more like 10%.

DarrinNelsonguy
04-10-2006, 04:47 AM
If Udeze can stay healthy I think he is in for a big year this season, it would be realistic to expect him to reach double digit sacks.

vikeswin2005
04-10-2006, 04:49 AM
I am sooooooo pumped for Udeze to be back he will be huge on D this season

SnoSho
04-10-2006, 04:57 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

The "official" recovery rate is 75%. For pro athletes it's more like 10%.
Ummmm crap, this looks like a another year drafting to the D line, gonna need someone to back him with rates like that. I really like Udeze too be sad if he can't pull it off.

MensaTice
04-10-2006, 06:28 AM
I hope this kid gets a chance to play healthy. I have high hopes for him but he seems like he may be one of those guys thats cursed with injury after injury

damien927
04-10-2006, 06:40 AM
There is no need to draft a d-lineman this year, Udeze could come back and do great. He seems to be healing fast, that may be a sign that his body is reacting well to it. We still have Scott to come in and play if he weren't up to it and then draft someone next year if needed. If we use a pick this year and then Udeze somes back strong..... we wouldn't need another DE and he would rise the pine.

vikesoto
04-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I hope Udeze bounces back.....Fight On K.U. !!!!!!!!!!!! Your USC Trojans looked good today at the spring game......

Natedogg
04-10-2006, 07:46 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

If Udeze can stay healthy I think he is in for a big year this season, it would be realistic to expect him to reach double digit sacks.
Thats exactly what Ive been thinking, he's gonna be a 12 sack guy this year. We've been missing a strong outside rusher, almost every good team has one. All of the playoff teams had at least one. Johnstone could come back but if not I'd like to see us get another DE in the 4th or 5th round.

MensaTice
04-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm not willing to predict a sack total but if healthy, he will be an unsung hero for this defense this season. Even if he doesn't get that many sacks, he can make huge contributions. The major factor of his success will be health, not just of himself but of the fat guys in the middle. If the whole unit can stay on the field, KU will have a great year.

PurplePridesSavior
04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Things are really shaping up. What I find most uplifting from all the players articles I've read is their praise for the new coaches & buying into the new system.

I'm still wondering about Kluwe & his ability to return as a great punter. If his return is beyoind minicamp, will it also be beyond the start of the regular season?

Where does the 9 months put him after the injury?

He's the only punter on the roster & I would expect them to sign an interim punter. Unless they are going to call upon Sharper.

Even after he recovers, it's an unknown how well Kluwe will be able to punt the ball.

Kluwe just tore his ACL and no other ligaments i believe so his recovery time should just be around be around 6 months, at least thats what it was orignally reported at, a max of 9 if there are complications, meaning he should be punting by june. July or August at the latest. Granted not many punters have returned to be as good as they were pre-surgery which means we will probably bring in another punter to at least at compete with him.

singersp
04-10-2006, 12:52 PM
"PurplePridesSavior" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Things are really shaping up. What I find most uplifting from all the players articles I've read is their praise for the new coaches & buying into the new system.

I'm still wondering about Kluwe & his ability to return as a great punter. If his return is beyoind minicamp, will it also be beyond the start of the regular season?

Where does the 9 months put him after the injury?

He's the only punter on the roster & I would expect them to sign an interim punter. Unless they are going to call upon Sharper.

Even after he recovers, it's an unknown how well Kluwe will be able to punt the ball.

Kluwe just tore his ACL and no other ligaments i believe so his recovery time should just be around be around 6 months, at least thats what it was orignally reported at, a max of 9 if there are complications, meaning he should be punting by june. July or August at the latest. Granted not many punters have returned to be as good as they were pre-surgery which means we will probably bring in another punter to at least at compete with him.

"Special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro said punter Chris Kluwe (torn right ACL) is "right on track" in his recovery. Ferraro estimated the total rehabilitation as an eight- or nine-month process, putting Kluwe's return past the start of training camp."