PDA

View Full Version : Expectations of Chester Taylor?

FinNasty23
04-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I am curious what you guys expect out of Chester Taylor this season...

I havent really seen much of him, however always thought he was good as a backup to Jamal. He put up some solid numbers (caught my eye in Fantasy Football too... :wink: ). Is he going to carry the load? or used in a committee with Moe and Fason? (Big fan of Fason by the way).

If he is going to carry the load... what kind of numbers do you think he will put up? Especially with the addition of Hutch and the return of Birk?

olson_10
04-09-2006, 08:47 AM
starter..all down back now that we dont have moe or smith coming back..i expect pro bowl numbers running behind the oline we have put together for him

PurplePridesSavior
04-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Running behind the left side of our line with McKinnie and Hutchinson blocking, birk pulling, and tony richardson leading the way anything less then 1,200 yards would be a bust. Our line has too much talent on that side, and even the right the side should be vastly improved over last year.

aceclown
04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
"PurplePridesSavior" wrote:

Running behind the left side of our line with McKinnie and Hutchinson blocking, birk pulling, and tony richardson leading the way anything less then 1,200 yards would be a bust. Our line has too much talent on that side, and even the right the side should be vastly improved over last year.

by your standards, how is a guy we got for about 3 mil a year a bust if he gets 1100 yards?

alberta_vike
04-09-2006, 08:56 AM
He should do pretty well with the offensive line he is runnings behind. I think that is he is healthy all season he will have 1000 - 1200 yards rushing and at least 30 receptions. Not sure about TD's as he might not be the Goal Line back. I still think Moore will see alot of action and do pretty well, especially receiving the ball.

Those are all just guesses though, most likely will end up not being right. As long as they win games, I don't care what Taylor, Moore, or anyone else does.

DiehardVikesFan
04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I'll say 800 yards rushing. Remember, Mckinnie is big, but he is not that good at drive blocking, he is much better is Pass Pro. Plus, Taylor is going to be splitting carries with Moore and Fason.

FinNasty23
04-09-2006, 09:03 AM
How is he at receiving out of the backfield?

FinNasty23
EDIT: Double post... dont know how to delete it...

PurplePridesSavior
"aceclown" wrote:

by your standards, how is a guy we got for about 3 mil a year a bust if he gets 1100 yards?

Well if he was brought in to be an everydown back he should be to just fall foward for four yards behind the left side, if he can break a tackle our two and everage near five yards a carry that should be a piece of cake. 300 carries at 5 yds is 1500, 300 at 4 is 1200. I expect him to get pretty close to three hundred carries and average some where between 4-5 yards. I think we will grind the ball alot this year, baring drastic improvements from Troy Williamsom or another wide reciever is brought in. Our passing game shoud be above average, but nothing like we have been used to in the past decade. If we are gonna go far its gonna be riding Chester Taylor and o-line.

PurplePridesSavior
04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
one of his strengths is supposed to be recieving out of the backfield, which is why hes soo good for the west coast offense

CalifornianVikingz
04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Chester will be good this year but better next year, a player always needs to wear in his skills in a new team. After one year under childresse's west coast offense he will put up serious number, for right now he will split carries with moore but will work in onterrio smith over moore. So it will be like this: Based on a 25 carry game
Taylor 13 carries
Moore 7
Smith 5

PurplePridesSavior
04-09-2006, 09:07 AM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

I'll say 800 yards rushing. Remember, Mckinnie is big, but he is not that good at drive blocking, he is much better is Pass Pro. Plus, Taylor is going to be splitting carries with Moore and Fason.

I don't see Moore getting more then a 100 carries if that, and fason will be short yardage back if he shows improvement from last year, otherwise richardson will probably handle the 3 and 1's and goaline situations

PurplePridesSavior
04-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd really prefer Onterrio Smith to start if he didn't have drug problems and so many off the field issues. Hes got the talent and the ability to be a feature back, just not sure if hes disciplined enough. Plus also once he's reinstated I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't realesed because Childress and Wilf are really trying to emphasize character with the players they bring in.

Benet
04-09-2006, 02:16 PM

I'd really prefer Onterrio Smith to start if he didn't have drug problems and so many off the field issues. Hes got the talent and the ability to be a feature back, just not sure if hes disciplined enough. Plus also once he's reinstated I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't realesed because Childress and Wilf are really trying to emphasize character with the players they bring in.

Onterrio Smith To Return? (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=368990#368990)

Zygi is open-minded towards Onterrio returning..

But to get back to the point; if by expectations we mean individual statistics, I've love to see Chester get 350 carries, 1500 yards and 15 TD's. That's a 4.2 yards-per-carry average and a TD every 23.3 carries. If his catching-out-of-the-backfield is as good as I hear, then I'd love to see him add 40 catches for 400 yards and another 5 TD's. I'd love to see breakthrough year that gets Chester mentioned as a potential Pro-Bowler purely because that kind of individual success is usually directly related to team success. Look at the 2005 Pro-Bowl NFC Running Backs:

Shaun Alexander.
Tiki Barber.
Warrick Dunn.

The Seahawks, obviously, were the second most successful team in the NFL last year. The Giants had 11 regular-season wins and went to the playoffs, although they lost to the Panthers in their only post-season appearance. The Falcons.. Well.. There has to be one team that screws with my theory. I blame the poor Quaterback play. :grin:

And here's the 2005 Pro-Bowl AFC Running Backs:

LaDainian Tomlinson.
Edgerrin James.
Larry Johnson.

The Colts went deep into the post-season, and the Chargers and Chiefs were both very close to post-season play but only just missed out.

HOWEVER

To be honest, I'm not that concerned about his statistics. If his presence helps the Vikes get 11 wins this season he could only get 3 yards-per-carry and 10 catches throughout the season for all I care.

VikesfaninWis
04-09-2006, 03:56 PM
"Benet" wrote:

Onterrio Smith To Return? (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=368990#368990)

Zygi is open-minded towards Onterrio returning..

But to get back to the point; if by expectations we mean individual statistics, I've love to see Chester get 350 carries, 1500 yards and 15 TD's. That's a 4.2 yards-per-carry average and a TD every 23.3 carries. If his catching-out-of-the-backfield is as good as I hear, then I'd love to see him add 40 catches for 400 yards and another 5 TD's. I'd love to see breakthrough year that gets Chester mentioned as a potential Pro-Bowler purely because that kind of individual success is usually directly related to team success. Look at the 2005 Pro-Bowl NFC Running Backs:

Shaun Alexander.
Tiki Barber.
Warrick Dunn.

The Seahawks, obviously, were the second most successful team in the NFL last year. The Giants had 11 regular-season wins and went to the playoffs, although they lost to the Panthers in their only post-season appearance. The Falcons.. Well.. There has to be one team that screws with my theory. I blame the poor Quaterback play. :grin:

And here's the 2005 Pro-Bowl AFC Running Backs:

LaDainian Tomlinson.
Edgerrin James.
Larry Johnson.

The Colts went deep into the post-season, and the Chargers and Chiefs were both very close to post-season play but only just missed out.

HOWEVER

To be honest, I'm not that concerned about his statistics. If his presence helps the Vikes get 11 wins this season he could only get 3 yards-per-carry and 10 catches throughout the season for all I care.

Onterrio Smith to be Released (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21010)

I posted this awhile back, hope it helps..

As far as the question goes, Chester Taylor will for sure be our starter next season.. He is exactly what Childress was looking for in this new system. He can run between the tackles, catch and run, and is a good blocker if need be. He also has low miles on him with him being a backup.

vikeswin2005
04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
1100 yds rushing
8 rushing td's
400 yds receiving
3 receiving td's

Ltrey33
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Easily 1,000 yards on the ground, and I think 500 receiving the ball is definately possible as well. He's a heck of a player.

Benet
04-09-2006, 04:34 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Onterrio Smith to be Released (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21010)

I posted this awhile back, hope it helps..

As far as the question goes, Chester Taylor will for sure be our starter next season.. He is exactly what Childress was looking for in this new system. He can run between the tackles, catch and run, and is a good blocker if need be. He also has low miles on him with him being a backup.

That's true, but the article I linked to (by proxy to my post in the incorrectly-spelled Ontario Smith thread) appeared as a result of comments that Zygi Wilf made yesterday.. So the current feeling is that if Smith can prove he can turn himself around, he'll be in a Vikes jersey in the Fall.

mr.woo
04-09-2006, 04:39 PM
hows he gonna do? hes gonna rush for 1,200 + yards and got to the probowl. yea i said it.

ViKing24
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
What is Chester Taylors Number I need it because I am updating the vikings roster on madden so I need to know his number. Also what is Ben Lebers number?

ViKing24
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Also what is Tank Williams's number

ageri8126
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Chester Taylor #29
Tank Williams #25

vikeswin2005
04-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Tank does not have a number yet Hunter is still 25
Leber is 51

hungryboy
04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
smoot is back to 21, Troy Will is now 82

Flash
04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Hutchinson got 76 from chris liwienksi who switched to 67.
Richardson got 49 from richard owens who switched to 33.

ageri8126
04-09-2006, 08:34 PM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/ there's Tank in Mini-Camp so i don't know what he's saying about Hunter still being 25 maybe they both are :duh: scroll down and click on Tank's name it'll show a picture of him standing with his back to the shot

FinNasty23
04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
you reallly expect a pro bowl?

magicci
04-10-2006, 01:11 AM
if onterrio smith really comes back i think that he will hit maybe about 900 because he will be sharing carries with onterrio smith.

NDVikingFan66
04-10-2006, 01:28 AM
In my opinion....to early to tell.

We have an entire side of the line that they dont't know who will be there, another side of the line that has never taken a game snap together, and a center who did not play last year, and has rarely played the last couple of years.

Through in the fact that if Smith does come back (who I think is better than MM), and we still have unanswered questions.

Now, if Taylor is the everydown back, and our line is semi healthy and decent, I really think Taylor can break 1300 yards, and maybe even 1500. I just think he is that good. I also believe Smith is very good, just can't keep his urine clean.

SKOL!!!

muchluv4smoot
04-10-2006, 01:37 AM
"FinNasty23" wrote:

you reallly expect a pro bowl?

I wouldn't EXPECT a pro bowl, but with that left side of the O-line we have, it isn't absurd to think we could have a back go to the pro bowl. If he does, it will be because he does a lot in the passing game to though, like Westbrook in Phily. I don't think we are gonna over work him, as far as carrying the ball. 1000 yards seems about right to me, with a good amount of receiving yards and receptions.

VikesFan4Life
04-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I just hope the O-line plays better this year, and it should. I'm just hoping he cracks at least 500 yards. That way, anything more is just icing on the cake for me!

I'm glad we signed him. Baltimore actually tried to re-sign Chester before they re-signed Jamal Lewis. I found that to be interesting.