PDA

View Full Version : As I Said FRED SMOOT SWITCHES TO #21!!

Jordan
04-08-2006, 06:25 AM
http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=D27D3A40-7524-4638-AAD5-01C54571F365

The Minnesota Vikings coaching staff began the task of evaluating talent as they began a three-day mini camp at Winter Park today.

As practice started the team stretched together and went through individual drills. The offense, wearing white and the defense, wearing purple went through various drills.
-Running backs worked with balls that had a spandex coating, making it more difficult to grip.
-Linebackers practiced shooting the gap and attacking lanes using upside down garbage cans.

Head Coach Brad Childress watched the running backs and linebackers with intensity and they drilled. New running back Chester Taylor excelled in drills and looks poised to accept his role as the feature back.

The offense and defense squared off and ran plays against each other while coaches evaluated players. Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin was very vocal and emphasised the importance of ball awareness.

Offensive Line
-Center Matt Birk looked to be moving very well.
-Steve Hutchinson was explosive off the line.
-Mike Rosenthal moved well.

Linebackers -Linebackers fly towards the ball in the new Tampa 2 defense.
-Ben Leber saw extended playing time, and looked aggressive.
-E.J. Henderson and Dontarrious Thomas both looked agressive and explosive.

Wide Receivers & Tight Ends -Koren Robinson caught passes all over the field.
-Tight end Jermaine Wiggins caught several passes as a check down receiver.
-Tight end Richard Owens worked out with running backs.

Quarterbacks
-Starting QB Brad Johnson looked comfortable and his passes were accurate.
-Johnson moved well in rollout situations and made many good reads including a long pass down the sideline to WR Ryan Hoag.
-Johnson's lone mistake was a pass intercepted by Fred Smoot.
-Mike McMahon had passes that sailed long.
-McMahon tucked the ball and ran a few times with some success.
-J.T. O'Sullivan saw limited action.

Running Backs
-Chester Taylor runs aggresive.
-Ciatrick Fason had numerous carries and looks to be the #2 back.
-Richard Owens, Joey Goodspeed and Tony Richardson all were active blocking.

Defensive Backs
-Fred Smoot was the most active player, intercepting one and breaking up a few passes. After the interception, defensive coordinator yelled, "Pep-rally is over, next play."
-Darren Sharper was active in the Tampa 2, swarming towards the ball.

Special Teams
-Ryan Longwell was perfect on the day.
-Chris Kluwe went through motions but did not punt the ball.
-Long snapper Cullen Loeffler was spot on in both field goals and punts.

Notes...
-Fred Smoot is now wearing #21
-Troy Williamson is now wearing #82
-All players attended except WR Aaron Hosack, CB Ronyell Whitaker and OT Sean Bubin, who are all playing in NFL Europe.
-Coach Childress is happy with Matt Birk's progress and said, "He's doing everthing we've asked of him."
-Vikings owner Zigi Wilf was happy the House of Representatives approved the Gopher Stadium plan. Wilf stated, "We just need the opportunity to be heard." He has a great feeling with the new coaching staff.

Vikings mini camp runs through April 9.

singersp
04-08-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Will or Smoot jersey yet.

UndisputedVike
04-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Sounds like things are going well, McMahon is a bust...He is no backup. He's a dire straights QB 5th string type. Worst pickup we got.

damien927
04-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know why he switched? Was he #21 in Washington?

UndisputedVike
04-08-2006, 06:54 AM
"damien927" wrote:

Does anyone know why he switched? Was he #21 in Washington?

He came here and Chavous was 21 at the time. Now that Chavous is gone he's going back to 21.

V4L
04-08-2006, 07:00 AM
K-rob!! YAH TOLD YALL!!

Chester is doing good it sounds like.. Good for him I hope he proves alot of people wrong

Jeremy
04-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Smoot emulates Deon Sanders. That's why he likes the number 21. I wish he'd start playing more like Deon.

vikesoto
04-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I could care less if he goes back to his old #....I'd love to see him go back to his great cover skills!

mnrockstar
04-08-2006, 07:52 AM
...I got a TWill jersey for xmas this year....but i exchanged it...luckily b/c it was a large and i'm not that big ... (yes i'm a girl) but then they didn't have his size in a small/med. so i ended up with moore...

vikings11_27
04-08-2006, 08:00 AM
I think smoot will be much better, last year he had neck/chest injuries all year. Plus, he put on more than 10 pounds of muscle this offseason.

UndisputedVike
04-08-2006, 08:26 AM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

I think smoot will be much better, last year he had neck/chest injuries all year. Plus, he put on more than 10 pounds of muscle this offseason.

I agree, Faster too, He'll get his chance to pay back Steve Smith for burning him last year. He might be faster so it will be fun to see.

SWAYZE74
04-08-2006, 08:47 AM
wheeeeee...birk is back...thats cool...i just want to know...did wiggy jump one of those garbage cans after the catch? i love that move...

peace...

SWAYZE74
04-08-2006, 08:48 AM
wheeeeee...birk is back...thats cool...i just want to know...did wiggy jump one of those garbage cans after the catch? i love that move...

peace...

Purple_Hope
04-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Alright - I'm sorry, man, but if I remember right, there were at least three of you here the other day baggin on Mr. COD, and yet it seems that every one of these mini-camp stories have came from the same source ...

LAVike
04-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see Ryan Hoag make the team, not just the practice squad. It's going to take me a while to ge used to Longwell kicking for the Vikes . . . much like watching Sharper intercept passes . . . "crap! Oh, wait, yes!!"

DaunteHOF
04-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Smoot and sharper gonna have a probowl year

collegeguyjeff
04-09-2006, 03:36 AM
the number 21 for a jersey is so dumb i don't know why people like that number so much just cause deion wore it? back when i was in highschool everyone fought over that number it was so stupid

VikesfaninWis
04-09-2006, 03:39 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Will or Smoot jersey yet.

I second that, I think having a Moss jersey sitting in my closet is a waste. If we still had a player on the team that has a different number, that would really be a big waste..

Warp
04-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Makes me happy because im looking to buy a t-will and smoot jersey this year :smile:

BadlandsVikings
04-09-2006, 06:35 AM
I have 5 or 6 jerseys and the only one who still plays for the team is Kliensasser

Ltrey33
04-09-2006, 06:40 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

I have 5 or 6 jerseys and the only one who still plays for the team is Kliensasser

I bought a Johnson jersey during his first time around. I was in about 3rd or 4th grade, and I got it waaaayyyyy too big (it fits me like a t-shirt now, and I'm 6'3 if that gives you any indication of how big it was on me in 3rd grade!) Then I got a Moss jersey and a Pepper jersey too. Who'da thunk it that Johnson is the only one left?

BadlandsVikings
04-09-2006, 06:43 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I bought a Johnson jersey during his first time around. I was in about 3rd or 4th grade, and I got it waaaayyyyy too big (it fits me like a t-shirt now, and I'm 6'3 if that gives you any indication of how big it was on me in 3rd grade!) Then I got a Moss jersey and a Pepper jersey too. Who'da thunk it that Johnson is the only one left?I have a carter but I think everyone has one of those

cajunvike
04-09-2006, 06:56 AM
"LAVike" wrote:

I'd like to see Ryan Hoag make the team, not just the practice squad. It's going to take me a while to ge used to Longwell kicking for the Vikes . . . much like watching Sharper intercept passes . . . "crap! Oh, wait, yes!!"
LOL!!!

Go Ryan!!!

SKOL
04-09-2006, 07:08 AM

I finally just stopped buying jerseys of existing players. It was a waste of money. Now I only buy throwbacks of my favorite players of the past.