PDA

View Full Version : Will Tomlin's cover two improve vikes d?

Idahovike
04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
How big of a factor will coach Tomlin's cover two (provided he institutes it) prove to be? I for one like the results that other teams with the same defense have displayed. ex. Chicago, colts and of course the bucs.

V-Unit
04-07-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm extremely confused. Is that a curse word in the first option??

Anyways the D will be better because Cottrell couldn't coach. Tomlin hopefully can.

farvathevikinglover
04-07-2006, 01:07 AM
I think we'll do better than last year with it, but I have a question regarding the poll: what's the #39 mean?

Idahovike
04-07-2006, 01:09 AM
The 39 was a typo, and the third option wasnt listed for some reason (better than last year)

SharperVikings
04-07-2006, 01:17 AM
tomlin....will make it better...and im pumped to see it! :lol:

Slade
04-07-2006, 01:28 AM
It all depends on our LB's. Thats what makes the cover 2 work well for teams with quick LB's. They can drop back or come up to the line quickly. With the LB's we have, I think it will be an improvement, but our guys have alot of work to do.....& I mean alot

Lotza
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
"Slade" wrote:

It all depends on our LB's. Thats what makes the cover 2 work well for teams with quick LB's. They can drop back or come up to the line quickly. With the LB's we have, I think it will be an improvement, but our guys have alot of work to do.....& I mean aloti agree!!

we need some lb improvment.

our only stud lb last year was newman.

eclipse_2303
04-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Newman wasnt a stud. We didnt have any stud LB last year or the year before and havent in a long time. Ernie Sims is the way to go.

PurpleRide
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
You need talent for the cover 2 to work, we have talent at CB and DT but thats it

chilifoot
04-07-2006, 02:08 AM
"Idahovike" wrote:

How big of a factor will coach Tomlin's cover two (provided he institutes it) prove to be? I for one like the results that other teams with the same defense have displayed. ex. Chicago, colts and of course the bucs.
i love the idea of going to a Cover 2/Tampa 2... it's a defense that seems to create a lot of turnovers, i just hope we have the personnell to run it properly... by mid-season they'll all be on the same page probably, but it might not even take that long... we'll see i guess

norseforce
04-07-2006, 02:26 AM
we have good LB'S, LEBER is a playmaker,N. HARRIS is a baller as well, we just had the WORST coaching staff last couple ,we almost doubled the coaching staff this year, coaching makes the BIGGEST difference in the NFL, everybody in the league can play, talent with coaching goes so much further than,talent without coaching.

PurpleCrusader
04-07-2006, 02:35 AM
In the long run, it's a system that will improve our results. As far as next season goes, I would be happy with the same results as last year. Remember how long it took for it all to click when the guys had to learn Cottrel's system. I wouldn't expect quick results, but when it's all said and done we'll have an outstanding D.

collegeguyjeff
04-07-2006, 02:37 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Anyways the D will be better because Cottrell couldn't coach. Tomlin hopefully can.

yeah he would change everything every week, something would work great then he'd change the scheme too much

DaunteHOF
04-07-2006, 02:56 AM
I say we'll be better but I can say that more confidently after the draft

BigMoInAZ
04-07-2006, 09:11 PM
How could they possibly be an worse?

.... Not replace the veteran FAs they released or unsigned

.... Not pursue a legitimate play making FA that actually can play the cover 2! (Leber is no Witherspoon!)

.... Not draft the best LBs to play that type of defense and outside of Sims and DeMeco Ryans, or Thomas Howard, what other LBs in the draft do the Vikings really have a shot at drafting and plugging into this defense from day one?

Again, the question of how could it possibly get any worse? You tell me!

revprodeji
04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
BigMo, I am a big fan of seeing D'qwell in the cover-2, kid is a leader, smart and great in coverage. We could get him in the second.

I like leber alot. He seems like a good add-on, we just didnt want to pour the money into will that he would have needed

jargomcfargo
04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
You can never tell until you see them play.
But based on all the changes, they should be better.
Better coaching(yet to be determined).
Better scheme.
Healthy K Will , Smoot and Udeze.
Upgrade to linebacking core(yet to be determined).
I didn't like losing B Will and I still think we need to draft a blue chip linebacker.
But over all we should be better; and could be much better.

Just envision a team with a pass rush that can also stop the run. A team that can shut them down on third down.
Then add an offense that can run the ball.
Fantasy? Probably, but I hope not.

BadlandsVikings
04-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I aggree with jargomcfargo, you can talk and talk about it all pre-season, but you don't know anything untill you see them in a game

jargomcfargo
04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
You might want to change your poll. Not a lot of room for optomism in asking if they will rank about the same or lower.lol!

VikesfaninWis
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I just went with lower to make sure I was right.. We should be alot better for the simple fact that we are better off as a team. We have new disciplined coaches, a new owner that is willing to do things to help us win, and new and old players that are talented enough to get it done..

Prophet
04-07-2006, 10:17 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

My sentiments exactly. It's not like they would have to be very good to improve from last year. All around, I'm excited to at least potentially have some coaching.

Zeus
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

My sentiments exactly. It's not like they would have to be very good to improve from last year. All around, I'm excited to at least potentially have some coaching.

I dunno - I thought in the last half of the season, the Defense was really starting to come together. I just like continuity and it seemed that having Ted on staff for another year would have brought that to the schemes.

But - only time will tell. If they can get the LB speed they need to do the Cover...errr....Tampa2, then that should allow The Williams Twins to wreak havoc in the middle of the line.

=Z=

TMAC604
04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Our defense last year started to jell around week 6. After that we were playing very well. I hope they can get their shit together and jell faster. I was happy with the defense the second half of the year.

Prophet
04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I agree, the defense and special teams were looking decent the second half of the year. Especially on a relative basis compared to what we have been use to seeing in recent years. I remember looking at the stats broken down for the defense the last half versus the first half and there was a dramatic difference....didn't that all start to happen when Meathead listened to the players calling Ted out as an incompetent ass (slight paraphrase, but something like that). I'm excited to see the D this year and sure hope they can be a top 10 unit.

cajunvike
04-07-2006, 10:38 PM
YES...because he is a better coach than Ted EVER was...and he will put his personnel in position to be successful...as opposed to Ted trying to force feed his overly-complex scheme on personnel who didn't believe in the system.

Accents
04-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Last year was the first year that we actually had a defense in a very long time. I was so happy that we actually had a defense. Remember when all the games were shootouts to see who would score the most points because our defense could not stop anybody? Remember when the opposing teams would get team records playing against our pathetic defense?

If we do as good or better on defense this year than last year, we are better!!! I was so glad to see Tice go! After years of dissapointment with Tice, I am hoping the new coaching staff might actually have brains and actually be able to coach. Remember Tice's old college coach, coach Fuzzio?? - what a disaster! Then we got Cottrell - a huge improvement as it didn't take a whole lot to be better than the worst. Now Tomlin? Isn't he supposed to be one of the hot new defensive coaches to watch out for?? I am really excited for the "new Vikings". I will even grant them a learning curve.

So how long will the learning curve be for a new coach and new defensive scheme?

Accents

MensaTice
04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Best poll ever! :drunken: