PDA

View Full Version : What will the score of the vikings-cowboys game be?

vikingsalltheway
07-31-2004, 04:40 PM
What do you guys think?

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-31-2004, 05:24 PM
man i cant believe everone said what i thought. thats cool. I'll be happy with a win but i personally think it will be kinda close.. I think that it will be neck and neck until the 4th quarter and we will start rollen and piken up points...

vikings_fan66
07-31-2004, 05:31 PM
I agree it will be a close one. I think we will win by 7 .

seekndestroy31
07-31-2004, 05:37 PM
A little early to be asking this question...

Lets get through TC 1st...hopefully injury free for both teams

If all the projected starters start

Minny- 27
Dallas-23

We have Parcells, you have Tice

Thats why this game wont be a blowout despite our deficiency @ QB with QuINTcy Retarder

If Testaverde starts, we win by a FG

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-31-2004, 05:50 PM
LOL i like that "QuINTcy". Your right about the coaching Parcells is an unbelievable coach. Testaverde wont start though, if he does it will suprise me and disapoint me..

jackyl
07-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately I say the Vikes win that game 31-24.

vikingsalltheway
07-31-2004, 08:27 PM
24-13 vikings

NeoVikesTX
07-31-2004, 08:50 PM
I think it will be close in the first half, but our offense will be rolling in the 2nd. Bennett will have a good game, and of course Randy will -- he loves to show up the cowboys. Vikes D keeps the cowboys offense in check most of the game.

Cowboys offense never quite comes together, with the newly aquired George in the backfield and MeShawn. Quincy plays average like always. Cowboys D plays well most of the game.

Lower scoring than most would think.

Vikings 24 Cowboys 13

vikingsalltheway
07-31-2004, 09:05 PM
I see quincy carter throwing some gift passes to our defense giving us some points off turnovers.

seekndestroy31
07-31-2004, 09:49 PM
"TheFloridianVikingFan" wrote:

LOL i like that "QuINTcy". Your right about the coaching Parcells is an unbelievable coach. Testaverde wont start though, if he does it will suprise me and disapoint me..

I see youre up in Ft Myers there Florida...

Im down in Naples

BigEasyViking
07-31-2004, 09:50 PM
I see Quincy Carter throwing some gift passes to a lot of different teams this year. He is garbage! Thank god he's not on our team. 27-3 Vikes, and Meshawn starts bitching after game one.

:thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft:

seekndestroy31
07-31-2004, 09:56 PM
"vikingsalltheway" wrote:

I see quincy carter throwing some gift passes to our defense giving us some points off turnovers.

You seem very sure there in that run defense of yours there gentlemen..

Flozell was an all pro last year, along with LA

This means Udeze and Hovan are neutralized

We get Al Johnson back @ C after mising last yar with an injury

RG and RT for us are question marks with incumbants Andre Gurode and Torrin Tucker

We did get reinforcements through the draft with Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman

Now, the 1 match up that concerns me is Kevin Williams vs Johnson and/or Gurode...I suspect Williams will command a double team most or all of the game.

Now, Mixon will miss the 1st 2 games due to suspension, which relegates your team to a back up LE, which helps our cause with either Tucker or Rogers with help from Dan Campbell

I like our chances to be able to run the ball effectively..which is the only way we win that game...we need the ball for 35 minutes or more to win

seekndestroy31
07-31-2004, 09:58 PM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

I see Quincy Carter throwing some gift passes to a lot of different teams this year. He is garbage! Thank god he's not on our team. 27-3 Vikes, and Meshawn starts bitching after game one.

:thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft:

The less he passes, the better our chances to win

I happen to agree with you on QC and Im hoping Vinny beats him out

Im not under a mirage like many QC and Cowboy homers are

jiggyjack
07-31-2004, 10:08 PM
weve got to hold them to under 21 pts. to pull this one off. i think our secondary is good enough to hold the passing game and to pull off a pick or two. the biggest problem for the cowgirls id their run game, they dont have a proven back and the o line looks ok but i dont think they have enough to hold up.

vikingsalltheway
07-31-2004, 10:08 PM
I cant wait to stomp them. I hate them almost as much as the packers. 1975 still sticks in my mind.

RK.
07-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Vikes 38-13 :)

seekndestroy31
07-31-2004, 11:36 PM
"jiggyjack" wrote:

weve got to hold them to under 21 pts. to pull this one off. i think our secondary is good enough to hold the passing game and to pull off a pick or two. the biggest problem for the cowgirls id their run game, they dont have a proven back and the o line looks ok but i dont think they have enough to hold up.

Eddie George?...Mr Versatility Richie Anderson?

Winfield is a very good CB, but @ 5'9" he is a size mismatch against Keyshawn Johnson @ 6'4"

I really like the matchup of our TE's against your LB's

I dont see anyone of your LB's who matches up very well against them

vikingsalltheway
07-31-2004, 11:42 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"jiggyjack" wrote:

Winfield is a very good CB, but @ 5'9" he is a size mismatch against Keyshawn Johnson @ 6'4"

Typical cowboy fan cmon now Henderson could easily take on campbell one on one.

BigEasyViking
07-31-2004, 11:44 PM
"jiggyjack" wrote:

They don't have a proven RB? What do you call Eddie George. I'd say that he is pretty proven. That should actually be the Cowboys' strongest part of their offense. They have a good RB, and O'line and if our LB's and D-line don't step up in the first quarter they could run the clock on us all game and take control of the game. If we can stop their running attack then we have this game in the bag, because that means that Quincy is gonna have to win it for them and that is definately what we want. Unless Testiverde would beat him out this year? If that happens I think that their offense would be a lot better. If you can't tell, I really am just not impressed with Quincy!

ItalianStallion
08-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Yo seek and destroy, don't you need a running back in order to run the ball on us. Are you trying to tell us that Julius Jones will be all over us? Or Maybe Eddie George who hasn't averaged much more than 3 yards carry in how long? He was proven 3 years ago, now all he has proven is he is very close to done. Speed backs hurt our D last year, and George is no speed back, it takes him like 10 seconds just to run sideline to sideline. :P

Larry Allen is old, we've played against better o-line and had success stopping the run, look at KC last year.

I honestly think if we don't hold their offense to under 20 points it would be a serious underacheivement.

TheMaineViking
08-01-2004, 01:03 AM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

RG and RT for us are question marks with incumbants Andre Gurode and Torrin Tucker

We did get reinforcements through the draft with Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman

Now, the 1 match up that concerns me is Kevin Williams vs Johnson and/or Gurode...I suspect Williams will command a double team most or all of the game.

Now, Mixon will miss the 1st 2 games due to suspension, which relegates your team to a back up LE, which helps our cause with either Tucker or Rogers with help from Dan Campbell

I like our chances to be able to run the ball effectively..which is the only way we win that game...we need the ball for 35 minutes or more to win

The Cowboys plan is to use Julius Jones a lot in the short passing game. That is something the Vikings will need to be careful about. Their TE Jason Witten will also become a threat this year. But I disagree with you that the Cowboys will be able to run the ball effectively. Maybe last year or the year before vs. the Vikes, but the problem then was our older, injured LBs trying to keep up with the likes of Ahman Green, Ladainan Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, etc...this year the LBs will have the speed and tackling skills to stop the running game. They may struggle at times reading the offense but it will be a lot harder for teams to run well against us.

RandyMoss8404
08-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Eddie George might seem old and washed up to most, but I've seen him truck Ray Lewis with a dislocated shoulder, so if there is a weakness in our Linebacker corps, he WILL show it

Big Daddy
08-01-2004, 01:37 AM
I think this will be a close game but a win for the good guys to get the season started in the right direction! It just seems like we play better at the begining of the season, plus it is at home.

casper
08-01-2004, 04:16 AM
just like the job Vikes 24 Cowgirls 7 must be a safty in there somewhere just came out that way

hawaiianvike21
08-01-2004, 05:31 AM
30-17 vikings with having moss with at least two td's, maybe even more. :shock:

seekndestroy31
08-01-2004, 07:31 PM

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"jiggyjack" wrote:

Typical cowboy fan cmon now Henderson could easily take on campbell one on one.

If Henderson is indeed in your nickel or dime package, he certainly isnt going to be in man on man coverage...and Campbell shouldnt be nearly as much of a concern as Witten

Henderson would be much more effective in a zone where he only has to cover his area within the zone...but man on man?

Surely you jest

Nattiel or D Thomas (when he gets into camp) would be a far better match up IMHO

seekndestroy31
08-01-2004, 07:37 PM
"TheMaineViking" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

The Cowboys plan is to use Julius Jones a lot in the short passing game. That is something the Vikings will need to be careful about. Their TE Jason Witten will also become a threat this year. But I disagree with you that the Cowboys will be able to run the ball effectively. Maybe last year or the year before vs. the Vikes, but the problem then was our older, injured LBs trying to keep up with the likes of Ahman Green, Ladainan Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, etc...this year the LBs will have the speed and tackling skills to stop the running game. They may struggle at times reading the offense but it will be a lot harder for teams to run well against us.

Heres the thing ..if our OL can handle your DL without double team and Our FB's and TE's get out to your LB's you may be surprised with our ground game

I have no concerns with our left side...and even Old LA is in the best shape he's been in since the late 90's according to everything Ive read and heard

Minus Mixon, the only guy who concerns me is Kevin Williams--especially since our projected starting Center is coming off a knee injury and ROG Andre Gurode is a big question

seekndestroy31
08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Yo seek and destroy, don't you need a running back in order to run the ball on us. Are you trying to tell us that Julius Jones will be all over us? Or Maybe Eddie George who hasn't averaged much more than 3 yards carry in how long? He was proven 3 years ago, now all he has proven is he is very close to done. Speed backs hurt our D last year, and George is no speed back, it takes him like 10 seconds just to run sideline to sideline. :P

Larry Allen is old, we've played against better o-line and had success stopping the run, look at KC last year.

I honestly think if we don't hold their offense to under 20 points it would be a serious underacheivement.

KC had already lockd up a division championship when they were blown away up there too

And LA?...Watching him bludgeon Hovan is something Im looking forward too

Julius Jones cant be all that bad...Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones, (both available for us when we were on the clock) were both bypassed.

And its not like he's gonna be featured either..part of a RB by commitee set up like the Fecals had last year with Buckhalter, Staley and Westbrook

TheMaineViking
08-01-2004, 08:04 PM
seekndestroy I don't think the Cowboys offensive line is that good aside from Flozell Adams. Larry Allen is past his prime I just don't see him winning the day against Hovan without double team help which he probably won't get. And the right side of the Cowboys line really doesn't match up well at all against the Vikings. Udeze will be filling in for Mixon at LE only while he serves his suspension which puts him right next to Kevin Williams for that game. I just don't think the Cowboys will be able to handle that.

So I don't think the Cowboys line will be able to shutdown the Vikings d line.

muchluv4smoot
08-01-2004, 08:05 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

KC had already lockd up a division championship when they were blown away up there too

Julius Jones cant be all that bad...Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones, (both available for us when we were on the clock) were both bypassed.

And its not like he's gonna be featured either..part of a RB by commitee set up like the Fecals had last year with Buckhalter, Staley and Westbrook

OK, name the last team, that didn't have to double hovan? Every team has doubled hovan for the last 2years, and now with udeze, and williams with another year of experience, you will have to double at least one of our D-lineman and probably 2 alot of the time. These doubles will free up our blitzers and force quincy to make bad quick throws. I see him throwing 2 or 3 int's against us. Also udeze will be filling in for mixon in the first 2 games of the season at LDE, so he won't be playing RDE against you guys. I am not sure who is gonna start at RDE in the first 2 games, possibly lance johnstone(10 sacks last year) or our 3rd round pick darrion scott(but he would fit better at LDE). Also expect to see us use a lot of 3-4 early in the season, when mixon is out. Ted cotrell wants to use some 3-4, with the speed and athleticism of our LB's.

As far as the game goes, I see it being a low scoring game(which would be new for us vikes), unless our d can score some for us on quincy's ints. I say we win 17-6. Your offense scares nobody, I don't care how good of a coach parcells is. You guys should be excited about henson though. He is gonna be a pretty good QB in a few years and maybe next year.

seekndestroy31
08-01-2004, 08:29 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

OK, name the last team, that didn't have to double hovan? Every team has doubled hovan for the last 2years, and now with udeze, and williams with another year of experience, you will have to double at least one of our D-lineman and probably 2 alot of the time. These doubles will free up our blitzers and force quincy to make bad quick throws. I see him throwing 2 or 3 int's against us. Also udeze will be filling in for mixon in the first 2 games of the season at LDE, so he won't be playing RDE against you guys. I am not sure who is gonna start at RDE in the first 2 games, possibly lance johnstone(10 sacks last year) or our 3rd round pick darrion scott(but he would fit better at LDE). Also expect to see us use a lot of 3-4 early in the season, when mixon is out. Ted cotrell wants to use some 3-4, with the speed and athleticism of our LB's.

As far as the game goes, I see it being a low scoring game(which would be new for us vikes), unless our d can score some for us on quincy's ints. I say we win 17-6. Your offense scares nobody, I don't care how good of a coach parcells is. You guys should be excited about henson though. He is gonna be a pretty good QB in a few years and maybe next year.

Well is Udeze is gonna be out @ LE, he's gonna have a double team all day wirth Tucker and Campbell/Witten

This would mean Flo is gonna be playing against an either untested RDE or one thats back up material.

Your RDE will see our TE and perhaps a FB, depending on formation

I would suspect 2 TE set ups, with one on Flos outside...Flo would combo block and then help out tLA if he runs into trouble Hovan or a biltzer

Hovan is gonna take on a double because thats his role in the Vikings scheme..he's a NT in that scheme lining up between the LG and the C

Now that the Vikings have Williams, your interior DL becomes a threat

Now I suspect LA will be doing a lot of Combination blocking on Hovan...he and Al Johnson will initially double team hovan...if LA moves Hovan and passes him to Johnson (and Johnson can occupy Hovan), LA gets to your LBs

LA on a LB...thats almost unfair to Henderson or Thomas/Nattiel

The same applys to Kevin Williams when we double him Gurode and AJ both occupy Williams... hopefully Gurode can get Williams to AJ and get out to your LBs

Gurode is the biggest ? mark in my mind..the physical tools are there but he is the Quincy Carter of our OL...talented but error prone

Thats a big if as well as a lot of pressure on AL Johnson, but Parcells holds him in a Kevin Mawae regard...very high

On certain plays, we will have a FB leading our RB through the hole so if either Williams or hovan disrupt our FB will help

Your LB's on outside runs will have to play within the scheme and not over pursue

No defense on QuINTsy Retarder..I only hope he gets beat out by Vinny

If Vinny starts, we win in a close one...like 27-24

ItalianStallion
08-01-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I really don't think the Cowboys have a top 25 offense. Larry Allen can't Hold hovan alone, you can guarantee that. Eddie george is sooo done. SOmeone mentioned that one play in the playoffs where he kind of shrugged of Ray Lewis, please. How many yards did he gain on the play? 3,4? He has heart, but he has lost most of his ability. Personally I think he will be this year's Emmit Smith.

As far as your argument with KC last year, are you saying they wern't trying becasue they had the division locked up? They were still playing for the bye. Only the Denver broncos take games off.

The Vikings have one of the best young D-lines in the league. But all this is pointless, because you honestly can't say that you think your offense will score more than ours. The fact that this is in Minny makes a HUGE difference, I don't see us losing the home opener.

muchluv4smoot
08-01-2004, 08:55 PM
You can't be serious that you think you would win with vinny at QB! He would be like a tackling dummy out there on the field. All you have to do against vinny, is get guys in his face and he crumbles. He can't move, so he would get sacked a million times. With winfield, we now have 2 very capable CB's that can play 1-on-1. This will allow us to play a lot like the philly D has played in the past few years and blitz from all over the place. If you guys had vinny out there agianst our new pressure D, you would almost certainly get killed. Quincy, although he sucks, gives you guys by far the best chance to win.

It all comes down to stopping dallas's running game, and their offense can't move. It will be pretty easy to stop eddie george, who averages 3 yards a carry, especially with the addition of winfield(best run stopping CB in the game), and Udeze(a great run stopping DE).

I am most worried about your D. If daunte can stay patient, like he was all last year, I think we will find some holes and exploit them. One big hole could be the one left by woodson, if he is out.

sdvikefan
08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
LA on one of our LBs? He'll never get the chance. Hovan will absorb a double team again and even if you run two TE sets you can't seriously expect LA to be able to be freed up against the Vikings LBs. Maybe if we ran a 3-4...but not with this line.

If the Cowboys run right at the Vikings we could have some trouble but they won't do that successfully because they don't have a physically dominating o-line. They will play ball control, dumping passes off to Witten, Jones, and going to Keyshawn on 3rd downs, and using Bryant to stretch the defense.

Antoine Winfield is physically more than a match for any Cowboy receiver including Keyshawn who, I'll grant you is not afraid to get physical and can get yards after catch. But Winfield has excellent pass coverage and even better tackling so he will shut Keyshawn down.

I agree with muchluv this will be a low scoring game. The Cowboys defense is a much bigger problem for us to worry about than their offense.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-01-2004, 09:41 PM
seekanddestroy everything you said up there is BULL. Like everything you said is gonna happen perfectly.... Im sorry but i dont think it will be that easy!

so-cal vike
08-01-2004, 09:48 PM
24-17 Vikings. I agree that Carter will assist in a couple of the Vikings scoring drives, but don't be suprised if it's Brian Russell who's the benificiary of Carter's poor throws. Bill Parcells is a great coach who will keep his team in playoff contention however, Keyshawn will quickly become a major problem for the Cowboys, and that problem will plague the team throughout the season.

16-0 for the Vikings this season. The key to this perfect season; the one-two punch of Bennett & Smith.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

muchluv4smoot
08-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey seekndestroy, you just got your wish buddy.

In light of the new developments, I would like to change my prediction of this game. I now say we will win a little more easily. I say 27-6 now that Tinny Vesterudi is starting. He will definately give our D a TD with a bad pass due to pressure.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-04-2004, 04:58 PM
agreed! now then vinny testiverdy is starting i think we win by atleast 2 tds LOL COWBOYS SUCK!

purplepat
08-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I think the Cowboys chances took a downturn today when Quincy Carter was cut (not that the Cowboys chances were that good to begin with). Vinny is a statue out there, and will be a sitting duck for a Vikings pass rush that will be coming full force after they shut down an anemic running attack led by washed up Eddie George.

muchluv4smoot
08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

I think the Cowboys chances took a downturn today when Quincy Carter was cut (not that the Cowboys chances were that good to begin with). Vinny is a statue out there, and will be a sitting duck for a Vikings pass rush that will be coming full force after they shut down an anemic running attack led by washed up Eddie George.

Hey, eddie george has been known to break some long runs from time to time, like 4 or 5 yarders. Isn't that kind of scary, along with his 3 yards per carry average?

TEXPACK
08-05-2004, 12:13 AM
FYI, Vinny is 12-3 under Parcells. The Cowboys Defense will make it tough on the Vikings. Opening day/home field advantage may get the Vikings a "W" but, I would worry about Roy Williams knocking the piss out of Moss. If you don't think the Cowboys have a bounty on Moss you're crazy. They aren't comming to be humiliated.

Vikes 17 Pokes 13

RandyMoss8404
08-05-2004, 12:19 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

FYI, Vinny is 12-3 under Parcells. The Cowboys Defense will make it tough on the Vikings. Opening day/home field advantage may get the Vikings a "W" but, I would worry about Roy Williams knocking the piss out of Moss. If you don't think the Cowboys have a bounty on Moss you're crazy. They aren't comming to be humiliated.

Vikes 17 Pokes 13

They've had a bounty on Moss for six years.

And I'll be interested to see what happens when Winfield puts that lick on J-Walk.

Lets review.

1998:

3 163 | 3

1999:

6 91 | 2

2000:

7 144 | 2

TEXPACK
08-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Javon can hold his own. Did someone fail to tell you that Winfield is 5'9" 190lbs?? Hardly, intimidating. I don't see the Vikings man up on Walker anyway, especially with Winfield. That would be foolish and a mismatch (advantage Walker)!

How many times have the Cowboys played Moss the past 6 years with Williams? Zero.

He better add duck to his pass routes, just a little friendly warning. Roy Williams is the REAL DEAL! Say and think what you will, I've seen Moss short arm plenty of passes which makes Culpepper look foolish. If you watch the Vikings play you know exactly what I'm talking about.

muchluv4smoot
08-05-2004, 12:53 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Vikes 17 Pokes 13

Vinny is 12-3 under parcells??? And how many years ago were those games played? Hey, warren Moon played pretty well under denny green, so maybe the cards should pick him up. Sorry, but that statement made no sense. Also, the dallas secondary will be without woodson and that is a huge loss for their D. Again, vinny will either fumble the ball over to us, or throw desperation int's to our secondary, either way he will make it easier for us to score and easier for us to stop the already weak cowgirls offense. The cowboys might not be coming to be humiliated, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Does anyone else think the cowboys are starting to look like the raiders? How many old washed up players do they need, vinny, eddie george, meshawn, terry glenn, marcellous wiley, and the list goes on. They have roy, newman, bryant, witten and henson, thats about it for good young talent.

muchluv4smoot
08-05-2004, 12:59 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Javon can hold his own. Did someone fail to tell you that Winfield is 5'9" 190lbs?? Hardly, intimidating. I don't see the Vikings man up on Walker anyway, especially with Winfield. That would be foolish and a mismatch (advantage Walker)!

How many times have the Cowboys played Moss the past 6 years with Williams? Zero.

He better add duck to his pass routes, just a little friendly warning. Roy Williams is the REAL DEAL! Say and think what you will, I've seen Moss short arm plenty of passes which makes Culpepper look foolish. If you watch the Vikings play you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I like how winfield's size hasn't hurt him from being one of the better CB's in the league the last few years, yet now that he is a vike, he is all of a sudden gonna have trouble against an average packer WR???? You guys talk about javon walker like he is a star WR already. Sorry, but he has a ton to prove. Maybe he will eventually be a good WR, but as of yet, he has just been an average WR who has had a couple of good games.

And I suppose the cowboys are the only team that has a safety that hits hard? NO! Moss has went over the middle against every team we have played, and you can't tell me there hasn't been any hard hitting safeties in those games, so lets not make a big deal out of roy williams.

muchluv4smoot
08-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Also, if I was a pack fan, i wouldn't be talking crap about other teams secondaries, when your secondary is gonna suck without McKenzie.

TEXPACK
08-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Defending the Cowboys is right up there with hemorrhoid surgery to me so, God forgive me.

Woodson is old but, still is a huge loss for Dallas. I hate to do this to ya but, do you really think the Vikings will be starting their opener with all its players? History suggests NOT.

Testeverde, will play very conservative football, he won't make the mistakes and turnovers that Quincy might have. Granted Vinny doesn't have running ability but, with 5 weeks to adjust the offense I think an intelligent observer might give Parcells the benefit of the doubt that he will make some adjustments in the Cowboy's offensive approach.

I would worry a lot more about Culpepper giving the ball away than Vinny. If he does more than twice the Vikings may very easily lose. I look for Jones to get more carrys than George this year. Eddie was brought in more for leadership, pass blocking, receiving, and the short yards. On first down and second and short expect Jones off tackle.

Honestly, I hope both these teams beat the crap out of one another in a zero to zero tie. I predicted a Viking win in my post if you read it?

ItalianStallion
08-05-2004, 01:15 AM
I dunno, Roy Williams is good, but he still has awareness issues and freelances too much. I don't think that I have ever seen Moss ever get layed out by anyone, mostly because he has good field perception and instincts and is always cogniscent of who is around him. Not to mention that he doesn't go over the middle alot and can very easily burn Roy Williams on deep routes.

Without Carter they are a worse team, in my opinion. Geoge and Julius arn't scaring anybody. Their O-line is average, their Wrs are average. I dunno, I don't want to seem overconfident because anything can happen, but on paper this is a guaranteed win for the vikes.

In other news, how do you like the Packers chance against Carolina? where is that played again?

TEXPACK
08-05-2004, 01:19 AM
Winfield's size will hurt him. Mark my words, you will see. Don't proclaim him the second comming of Deion just because the Vikings overpaid him.

If teams like the Vikings wouldn't have been so desperate to overpay cornerbacks like Winfield. McKenzie would be in camp however, he wishes to be paid more because he sees what others he thinks he's better than like Winfield are being paid. I wouldn't count the Packer secondary out yet.

The Vikings enter this year with the same glazed over look as the past three. Denard Walker was your answer last year. Williams will get picked on plenty. No team fears the Viking secondary either.

TEXPACK
08-05-2004, 01:24 AM
I don't like Green Bay's chances in Carolina. But, as you say, "anything can happen".

The Green Bay Packers organization has known for the past 12 years the best formula for sucess in the NFL is win all of your home games and split them on the road. Also, sign your own players and build a cohesive team, improve from within. This is a lesson for the Vikings and other struggling NFL franchises without any recent success.

muchluv4smoot
08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Winfield's size will hurt him. Mark my words, you will see. Don't proclaim him the second comming of Deion just because the Vikings overpaid him.

If teams like the Vikings wouldn't have been so desperate to overpay cornerbacks like Winfield. McKenzie would be in camp however, he wishes to be paid more because he sees what others he thinks he's better than like Winfield are being paid. I wouldn't count the Packer secondary out yet.

The Vikings enter this year with the same glazed over look as the past three. Denard Walker was your answer last year. Williams will get picked on plenty. No team fears the Viking secondary either.

Again I say, why has winfield's size never hurt him before he was a vike? I believe buffalo had the best pass D in the NFL last year. Wonder how they managed that with a short CB who couldn't handle himself? You might try and say that it was because their run d might have been bad and teams didn't throw much on them, but that would be wrong. Buffalo also had a good run last year and was actually thrown on a lot more than they were ran on. Tell me how a team with a short CB who can't handle taller WR's then him, which is pretty muchevery receiver, only gave up 120 yards passing a game? you make it sound like he alone will give up more than that for us this year. Sorry, but you have absolutely nothing to back your opinions up with.

Also there was a good reason why so many teams wanted to give winfield a ton of money, so I wouldn't call it over paying when there were plenty of other teams who were gonna pay a lot as well for him. Hey, remember last offseason when the lions apparently overpaid for a CB by the name of dre bly? I believe he made the pro bowl last year.

If no team fears our secondary, they soon will. We did have 28 or 29 int's last year, so that should warrant some fear, along with the addition of one of the better cover Cb's in the league.

I would also like to know how you feel the packs secondary will be fine? Without McKenzie, you have al haris as your #1 CB. He is in no way a #1 CB, he got beat too many times last year by a #2 WR. Hawthorne isn't very good either. Then you could talk up your 1st round pick, batman, who i personally like, but then you would be contradicting yourself because he is also a short WR like winfield. If mcKenzie is not there, which it sounds like that is gonna happen, no way you guys don't have a much worse secondary than last year and that was a weakness of your team last year. Sorry, but I don't see any reason to say your secondary will be just fine.

Again i say, maybe worry about your bad secondary, before talking crap about a team with a good one.

muchluv4smoot
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"TEXPACK" wrote:

Again I say, why has winfield's size never hurt him before he was a vike? I believe buffalo had the best pass D in the NFL last year. Wonder how they managed that with a short CB who couldn't handle himself? You might try and say that it was because their run d might have been bad and teams didn't throw much on them, but that would be wrong. Buffalo also had a good run last year and was actually thrown on a lot more than they were ran on. Tell me how a team with a short CB who can't handle taller WR's then him, which is pretty muchevery receiver, only gave up 120 yards passing a game? you make it sound like he alone will give up more than that for us this year. Sorry, but you have absolutely nothing to back your opinions up with.

Also there was a good reason why so many teams wanted to give winfield a ton of money, so I wouldn't call it over paying when there were plenty of other teams who were gonna pay a lot as well for him. Hey, remember last offseason when the lions apparently overpaid for a CB by the name of dre bly? I believe he made the pro bowl last year.

If no team fears our secondary, they soon will. We did have 28 or 29 int's last year, so that should warrant some fear, along with the addition of one of the better cover Cb's in the league.

I would also like to know how you feel the packs secondary will be fine? Without McKenzie, you have al haris as your #1 CB. He is in no way a #1 CB, he got beat too many times last year by a #2 WR. Hawthorne isn't very good either. Then you could talk up your 1st round pick, batman, who i personally like, but then you would be contradicting yourself because he is also a short WR like winfield. If mcKenzie is not there, which it sounds like that is gonna happen, no way you guys don't have a much worse secondary than last year and that was a weakness of your team last year. Sorry, but I don't see any reason to say your secondary will be just fine.

Again i say, maybe worry about your bad secondary, before talking crap about a team with a good one.

No comment?

vikesgirl
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Well I was thinking that it would be close but now with Vinny as the QB I think that it just got easier

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 12:04 PM
"vikesgirl" wrote:

Well I was thinking that it would be close but now with Vinny as the QB I think that it just got easier

I agree totally.

casper
08-07-2004, 12:13 PM
"vikesgirl" wrote:

I have to second that :D

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 02:38 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"TEXPACK" wrote:

Still waiting for your comment to this Texpack

ItalianStallion
08-07-2004, 03:44 PM
I remember you guys hyping up some cris johnson guy, saying he was amazing till he got hurt in camp. Didn't he get hurt again pretty seriously?

seekndestroy31
08-07-2004, 10:25 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

Hey seekndestroy, you just got your wish buddy.

In light of the new developments, I would like to change my prediction of this game. I now say we will win a little more easily. I say 27-6 now that Tinny Vesterudi is starting. He will definately give our D a TD with a bad pass due to pressure.

Warren Moon @ age 39 with your beloved Vikings:

| 1995 min | 16 | 377 606 62.2 4228 7.0 33 14 | 33 82 0 |

A pro bowler @ age 39?

hmmm...

Now Im saying Testaverde is Moon (even though Moon's stats were inflated because of the run and shoot in Houston) or is going to the pro bowl, but Testaverde is back with the Coach (and the system) where he went 12-3 as a starter and his '98 season he had 29 TD's, 7 INTS and 3245 yds passing

Now, that was 6 years ago I understand, if Vinny plays efficient football we'll be just fine

Our chances on having a successful opening day increased dramatically

seekndestroy31
08-07-2004, 10:28 PM
"TheFloridianVikingFan" wrote:

seekanddestroy everything you said up there is BULL. Like everything you said is gonna happen perfectly.... Im sorry but i dont think it will be that easy!

I never said it was going to be easy...I would get laughed off this board...

And everything I said is bull?

I think not...remember, you still have Tice and Linehan

Thankfully, we dont.....

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 10:37 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I remember you guys hyping up some cris johnson guy, saying he was amazing till he got hurt in camp. Didn't he get hurt again pretty seriously?

Chris Johnson?? For what team? Dallas? His name kind of rings a bell to me for some reason. Was he a rookie last year?

vikings minnesoulija
08-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I think it will be a blow out and heres why. When was tha last time tha cowboys put up a good game aganst tha vikings.

seekndestroy31
08-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Aug. 7, 2004, 5:43 p.m. (PDT)

OXNARD, Calif. -- It wasn't a game, and it was barely even a scrimmage.

But Saturday afternoon's stand-up scrimmage was certainly not just a normal practice as the Cowboys ran more than 100 plays of 11-on-11 team drills here on the eighth day of training camp their River Ridge complex.

Since there was no tackling and each offensive possession started from the 35-yard line, it was definitely a controlled-scrimmage, so getting a solid evaluation of each player can be tricky without watching tape.

But rookie quarterback Drew Henson was the easiest player to assess, and he wasted little time getting the estimated 5,300 people in attendance screaming for the first score of the scrimmage.

On his first play under center, Henson threw a perfect deep ball to a streaking Zuriel Smith, who had beaten cornerback Andrew Davison on the play for a 65-yard score.

Henson, who worked mostly with the third-team offense , completed 13-of-22 passes for more than 150 yards and two touchdowns, the other scoring strike going to rookie tight end Landon Trusty.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_camp_notes.cfm?id=3BD2750A-CD18-5992-253C8F179504951B

Vinny went 6-14 with an INT

I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this

seekndestroy31
08-07-2004, 10:42 PM
"vikings minnesoulija" wrote:

I think it will be a blow out and heres why. When was tha last time tha cowboys put up a good game aganst tha vikings.

When is the last time a Vikings team played a GOOD Dallas team?

The Vikes havent played a Parcells Cowboys coached team either

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

Parcells can only do so much for you guys. He isn't out there playing QB, RB, and WR. You guys have an old washed up QB, RB and WR as your big 3, not exactly troy, emmit and irvin. Sorry but what vinny did in the scrimmage, is just what you will see from him in the regular season. I think you guys will be better off getting henson in there ASAP. He can at least give you guys some big play ability at QB. If Vinny is the starter, expect it to be a very easy game for the vikes, and a very bad season for the cowboys.

muchluv4smoot
08-07-2004, 10:56 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

Also, I hope your not calling this dallas team a good team. A team with a good D, yes. A team with a great D, yes. But a good team, NO. You guys are looking at 6 to 8 wins at best. Phily and washington will be the top 2 teams in the division. The giants should be a couple of easy games though.

seekndestroy31
08-07-2004, 11:34 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

Also, I hope your not calling this dallas team a good team. A team with a good D, yes. A team with a great D, yes. But a good team, NO. You guys are looking at 6 to 8 wins at best. Phily and washington will be the top 2 teams in the division. The giants should be a couple of easy games though.

<chuckles>

Guy, its not like its 2003 and me trying to convince you that Dallas, coming off 3 straight 5-11 seasons, was going to make the playoffs

Then tell you the Vikes would start 6-0 and MISS the playoffs

No respect I tell ya!!

TWISTED
08-08-2004, 02:47 AM
34-17
Vikes cruise thru the 4th quarter up 34-10, Plowboys score a late meaningless TD with Drew Henson throwin his first NFL touchdown. Vinny leaves in the 1st half with a concussion! So it has been written...

TEXPACK
08-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Chris Johnson CB The Green Bay Packers was the fastest player in D1 ball last college draft. He injured his knee in camp and will watch until midseason this year if not the entire season. He showed some potential, that's all. He hasn't reinjured anything just a slow healer I guess?

muchluv4smoot
08-08-2004, 09:15 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Chris Johnson CB The Green Bay Packers was the fastest player in D1 ball last college draft. He injured his knee in camp and will watch until midseason this year if not the entire season. He showed some potential, that's all. He hasn't reinjured anything just a slow healer I guess?

Thank You, now I remember that guy!

muchluv4smoot
08-08-2004, 09:44 PM
<chuckles>

Guy, its not like its 2003 and me trying to convince you that Dallas, coming off 3 straight 5-11 seasons, was going to make the playoffs

No respect I tell ya!![/quote]

A team that is coming off a year, where they overachieved(don't tell me they didn't), that didn't improve in the offseason(got much older but not better), means they won't be that good this year. Especially when Philly and washington have improved a ton. Vinny, eddie, and meshawn is going the wrong direction on offense. You guys have a great young WR, in antonio bryant, who should be the #1 guy, but instead you get an average keyshawn to stunt his growth. You guys get a good looking young Rb in the draft, and get eddie george, who gets 3 yards per carry. You have a guy like quincy, that was not a great QB, but he did lead your offense and team to a 10-6 record last year. You get rid of him, for one of the crappiest and oldest QB's in the league right now. Sorry, but your offense is pitiful, and your D won't be able to make up for that.

When you overachieve, don't improve in the offseason, and have teams in your division that improved greatly, you are gonna get passed by washington and will be nowhere near the team philly is. Hey, I will admit that you have a great young big 3, in henson, bryant

I like how you bring in what the vikes did last year and years before, when that has absolutely nothing to do with what dallas will do this year.

But since you wanted to bring the vikes into this conversation, i will comment on the vikes

The vikes had a disappointing end to last season, and are fired up to prove they have a good team. They had a few glaring weak spots, mainly on D, that needed to be upgraded in the offseason. First was pass rushing DE, which we got in udeze. Second was a cover corner, and we got a great one in winfield. Third, we need to get more athletic and faster at LB, and we did this by moving 2nd year stud EJ henderson in at MLB and drafted the freak #2 on the vikes, according to espn's john clayton, dontarrious thomas, to play weakside LB. We also added an extremely respected d corrdinator, in ted cottrell, this offseason. We had the 23rd ranked d last year, and now have the talent to easily be a top 15 D this year.

On offense, we were #1, so we didn't need to do much. Bennett got 100% healed this offseason, which will be a bonus to last seasons team. We added a deep threat WR as our #2 in marcus robinson, who is a big upgrage over d'wayne bates. We also added a decent receiving Te, in wiggins. It would be crazy to look at our offense and not see the best or one of the best in the NFL again.

So looking at our team, we should have one of the best offenses in the league again, and have plenty of talent to at least be a top 15 D. This is the reason why vegas odds makers have the vikes 3rd at 6-1 to win the super bowl. Not saying we will win the super bowl, but we do have some experts saying we have the team to do it, and i have yet to hear that about dallas, especially with vinny at QB.

What all this means is dallas looking at 8 wins or less, vikes looking at a minimum of 10 wins. You will find that this isn't only my opinion, but most NFL experts as well.

So again i say, dallas isn't a good team. Good d, yes. Great D, yes. But good team, NO.

seekndestroy31
08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

<chuckles>

No respect I tell ya!!

A team that is coming off a year, where they overachieved(don't tell me they didn't), that didn't improve in the offseason(got much older but not better), means they won't be that good this year. Especially when Philly and washington have improved a ton. Vinny, eddie, and meshawn is going the wrong direction on offense. You guys have a great young WR, in antonio bryant, who should be the #1 guy, but instead you get an average keyshawn to stunt his growth. You guys get a good looking young Rb in the draft, and get eddie george, who gets 3 yards per carry. You have a guy like quincy, that was not a great QB, but he did lead your offense and team to a 10-6 record last year. You get rid of him, for one of the crappiest and oldest QB's in the league right now. Sorry, but your offense is pitiful, and your D won't be able to make up for that.

When you overachieve, don't improve in the offseason, and have teams in your division that improved greatly, you are gonna get passed by washington and will be nowhere near the team philly is. Hey, I will admit that you have a great young big 3, in henson, bryant

I like how you bring in what the vikes did last year and years before, when that has absolutely nothing to do with what dallas will do this year.

But since you wanted to bring the vikes into this conversation, i will comment on the vikes

The vikes had a disappointing end to last season, and are fired up to prove they have a good team. They had a few glaring weak spots, mainly on D, that needed to be upgraded in the offseason. First was pass rushing DE, which we got in udeze. Second was a cover corner, and we got a great one in winfield. Third, we need to get more athletic and faster at LB, and we did this by moving 2nd year stud EJ henderson in at MLB and drafted the freak #2 on the vikes, according to espn's john clayton, dontarrious thomas, to play weakside LB. We also added an extremely respected d corrdinator, in ted cottrell, this offseason. We had the 23rd ranked d last year, and now have the talent to easily be a top 15 D this year.

On offense, we were #1, so we didn't need to do much. Bennett got 100% healed this offseason, which will be a bonus to last seasons team. We added a deep threat WR as our #2 in marcus robinson, who is a big upgrage over d'wayne bates. We also added a decent receiving Te, in wiggins. It would be crazy to look at our offense and not see the best or one of the best in the NFL again.

So looking at our team, we should have one of the best offenses in the league again, and have plenty of talent to at least be a top 15 D. This is the reason why vegas odds makers have the vikes 3rd at 6-1 to win the super bowl. Not saying we will win the super bowl, but we do have some experts saying we have the team to do it, and i have yet to hear that about dallas, especially with vinny at QB.

What all this means is dallas looking at 8 wins or less, vikes looking at a minimum of 10 wins. You will find that this isn't only my opinion, but most NFL experts as well.

So again i say, dallas isn't a good team. Good d, yes. Great D, yes. But good team, NO.

We didnt improve in the offseason?

Keyshawn is just what we needed on offense ...a possession guy who will help us convert 3rd down opportunities

Galloway was like an old school power hitter...a guy who would hit 30 home runs and strike out 200 times

Galloway only had 35 recptions last year...part of this was due to spotty QB play, but a lot also rests on the Shoulders of JG...the guy was only effective on fly patterns...he never had a good QB to throw for him in Dallas...unless you count 3,5 quarters in '00 when he blew out his knee in the pickle juice game

Marcellus Wiley is indeed an improvement over Ekuban..Ekuban way have very well been the worst pass rushing starting DE in footbal the last 2 years

At least Wiley has some skins on the wall with 2 Pro Bowl appearances

He will be the beneficiary of much improved surrounding talent with Ellis and Glover

Our RCB spot is still an open competition but just about anyone is an upgrade over Mario Edwards, who was victimized repeatedly with either deep receptions or pass int penalties

As the Redskins are every year, they are the offseason champs

Im not worried about the Skins..if one is watching them tonite, theyve shown nothing to scare me...and weve beaten them 12 out the last 13 times

And they just lost RT Jon Jansen for the year with a ruptured achilles tenson

Jansen would have protected Brunnels blindside

Ads the case for Edwards and Ekuban, Hambrick was undoubtedly the worst starting RB in football last year, bar none

He would consistantly get plastered by 180 lb nickel backs..and Hambrick ran @ 235 last year

George even @ a paltry 3.3 or 3.4 yards a carry is an upgrade..Parcells seems to think he has plenty left in the tank

George's OL was a pass blocking line over the last few years with the Titans turning into a passing team

Now, Im not saying George is the same guy he was 5 or 6 years ago, but he is an upgrade.

Julius jones will be a nice COP back...4.38 speed, nifty moves and excellent vision...he'll play an Onterrio Smith role for us this year..with better speed than Onterrio

He would literally trip over blades of Grass

As for overachieving, I wouldnt argue that for a second

Testaverde will play a role like Warren Moon did for you guys 9 years ago..efficincy and good decision making

I reiterate, Im not saying Testaverde is Moon, but serve a similar role

Testaverde went 12-3 under Parcells, including his best season

We'll see ho overrated coaching is week 1

BigEasyViking
08-10-2004, 03:59 AM
I personally think that it is a good thing for the Boys, that you won't have to depend on Carter as QB this year. I never did like him as a QB, but what do you Cowboys fans think of your depth at QB and who do you think will be starting week one? Not that it will matter!

muchluv4smoot
08-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Again i say improving a team, doesn't just mean adding a bunch of guys. You have to add better players to your team. Meshawn is an average WR at best and is a cancer to a team. Vinny, dispite what you think of him, hasn't been an average QB for 4 years now. Eddie, is also an old washed up RB who is good for 3 yard carries. Wiley, again very old and has done nothing lately. You guys are the new oakland raiders, with all these old washed up players as your big acquisitions.

Sorry, but you guys look much worse on offense. That isn't good for a team that overachieved last year. Ever wonder why most experts are predicting the eagles and redskins to finish ahead of you guys in the division? I know it doesn't mean it will happen, but there must be some reason why they would think that. That reason is the same that I have given. An overachieving team that got worse on offense, bound to do bad this year. Sorry, but you will find it isn't only my opinion, but most non-cowboys fans opinion as well.

muchluv4smoot
08-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, you should compare hambrick's stats last season to eddie george's. If you think hambrick was the worst RB in the NFL last year, than george wasn't too far behind.

seekndestroy31
08-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I just realized this site is part of the F2F network

come on and visit us @

www.cowboysguide.com

seekndestroy31
08-14-2004, 02:27 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

Oh yeah, you should compare hambrick's stats last season to eddie george's. If you think hambrick was the worst RB in the NFL last year, than george wasn't too far behind.

Look, just check out tonites game and lets see how lousy our offense is..

I'll be happy to take detailed notes of how the starters do since you guys are our opening day opponents

seekndestroy31
08-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Here's an interestin note for you guys..

With the Mixon suspension, Udeze seems like he will be playing over @ LDE

Well, if he wins the starting job, Udeze's opponent would be none other than former teammate Jacob Rogers.

Both will be playing @ new psotions. Whichever player adjusts quickest best to is new position could help to be a determining factor in the game

ItalianStallion
08-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Never heard of Jacob Rogers, is he a rookie? If so when did you pick him. I've got to give Udeze the edge in that match-up. I know first hand that a d-lineman can go to town when he know an O-linemans weaknesses and tendancies (more so than the other way around).

seekndestroy31
08-14-2004, 06:23 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Never heard of Jacob Rogers, is he a rookie? If so when did you pick him. I've got to give Udeze the edge in that match-up. I know first hand that a d-lineman can go to town when he know an O-linemans weaknesses and tendancies (more so than the other way around).

Rogers went in the 2nd round of this years draft to us..

And regardless if Rogers or Tucker starts, Udeze will be fighting through double teams all day, whether is a TE or a FB

RandyMoss8404
08-14-2004, 08:01 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Rogers went in the 2nd round of this years draft to us..

And regardless if Rogers or Tucker starts, Udeze will be fighting through double teams all day, whether is a TE or a FB

Right, while Kevin Williams and Chris Hovan feast on the center of your line

ItalianStallion
08-14-2004, 08:34 PM
lol, If Udeze is getting the double teams that is fine by me :)

TEXPACK
08-15-2004, 12:26 AM
After watching the 1st preseason game by Dallas and Minnesota. The Vikings should win by 21 points.

I'll say 31-10 Vikings. The Cowboys suck! Henson may improve to become a decent QB but, by week 10 the Cowboys will be out of the playoff race. Sorry pokes, "YOU JUST GOT PUNKED!" by the Texans (who I might add are getting better)

The Vikes should consider that game a challenge on their schedule. David Carr is a great NFL QB. The Texans defense has improved and will only get better under Capers. Wow what a great coach he is.

sdvikefan
08-15-2004, 12:31 AM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

After watching the 1st preseason game by Dallas and Minnesota. The Vikings should win by 21 points.

I'll say 31-10 Vikings. The Cowboys suck! Henson may improve to become a decent QB but, by week 10 the Cowboys will be out of the playoff race. Sorry pokes, "YOU JUST GOT PUNKED!" by the Texans (who I might add are getting better)

The Vikes should consider that game a challenge on their schedule. David Carr is a great NFL QB. The Texans defense has improved and will only get better under Capers. Wow what a great coach he is.

I agree, I watched that game too and the Texans defense looked very good. And the Cowboys quarterbacks all gave a pretty poor showing especially Romo. That safety wasn't his fault though.

NeoVikesTX
08-15-2004, 12:42 AM
I competely agree.

Cowboys stunk it up against the Texans. All their QB's looked bad, they better look into getting someone else or they will be in trouble this season. Julius Jones looked like he could play a little though.

Vikings looked pretty good, the D seemed much improved. 7 sacks vs Arizona's zero.

But, it is just preseason, so let's not get carried away.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Well Texpack.....you don't know too much about football do you?

1st off, this is a preseason game, and the goal is not to win but to test veterans and rookies. It has absolutely no bearing on how a team will perform in the regular season.

2nd....if you actually watched the game, Dallas' O-Line performed well as well as ReShard Lee and Julius Jones at RB. Vinny played good and Henson played good. Romo sucked.

To say their offense sucked is premature, their offense played decent. The Texans only had 12 more yards than Dallas and controlled the clock a paltry 1:42 seconds loger than Dallas. Two very costly red zone int's by two very young and inexpereienced QB's cost Dallas the game. Romo threw 2 int's, Henson 1, and Vinny fumbled. That's 4 turnovers and no team will win with 4 to's.

Add to that the fact Dallas missed an easy field goal and you have a team that needs some fine tuning and also have a team that has the best mechanic to fix that problem. It's the 1st game, so I'm not worried. Dallas lost their 1st preseason game last year 13-0 to the Cardinals, so no big deal. If you can judge a teams whole year forecast on a preseason game, then you are football ignorant.

Bottom line:

The Texans defense came up with big plays at oppurtune times and the Dallas defense came up with no plays. Dallas' offense moved the ball well, but the to's by the Houston's defense shut them down in the red zone.

Here are the stats....penalties and turnovers killed Dallas, two things Parcells will fix.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20040814_DAL@HOU

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 01:17 AM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

I competely agree.

Cowboys stunk it up against the Texans. All their QB's looked bad, they better look into getting someone else or they will be in trouble this season. Julius Jones looked like he could play a little though.

Vikings looked pretty good, the D seemed much improved. 7 sacks vs Arizona's zero.

But, it is just preseason, so let's not get carried away.

Henson was 8/11 for 98 yards and made 1 bad throw,Vinny was 4/7 for 35.

Romo was the only QB that looked bad.

Henson's int. in the red zone was a great defensive play by the Texans safety, who stretched wide on the fly to grab the ball.
One bad throw out of 11 is not bad. It's early, Parcells is there, no problem.

rjkvikings
08-15-2004, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't say no problem. You still have some things to work on, but so do a lot of teams. No big problem, but some.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 01:41 AM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

I wouldn't say no problem. You still have some things to work on, but so do a lot of teams. No big problem, but some.

Exactly

TEXPACK
08-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Why is it everytime I speak my thoughts and someone disagrees my I.Q. deflates as fast as their ego?

SacrumStar,
You may be able to fool some of these Vikings fans because they didn't have the misfortunate opportunity to watch the Cowboys last night as I did but, you can't fool me! I have watched the Dallas Cowboys play weekly for about 20 years. I know what good Cowboys teams look like in the off,pre,regular, and post season. The team I saw last night recoiled into the Chan days of old. They weren't any good and demonstrated nothing to anyone that they were, PERIOD!

There were some shimmering hopes at the running back position. I wouldn't hang your big ten gallon stetson on them though. Any team that doesn't blitz a linebacker or safety 75% of the time against Dallas this year is playing into the Cowboys hand.

Unfortunately, for you most NFL coaches will see what I do. #1 Dallas O-line is trouble and cannot get out and zone block. They are easily overcome when they don't have numbers in pass blocking. Why any team would let anyone of these QBs sit back and shred them, I wouldn't know? I am sure it will happen. With regard to the Viking match up--expect pressure, forced passes, interceptions if Dallas falls behind. Dallas will not stop the Vikings offense and the running game won't be a factor. Unless, I missed something "the time of possesion" stats you covet are merely a straw you are grasping for to help ease your misery. The Cardinals "won" the time of possesion battle last night too, I believe. That means Dick!

Don't be too ashamed the Texans are a vastly improved team, they will win more games than Dallas this year.

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeah, the cowboy star is real sacred :lol:

http://www.ninernews.homestead.com/files/owensstar.jpg

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 02:58 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Why is it everytime I speak my thoughts and someone disagrees my I.Q. deflates as fast as their ego?

SacrumStar,
You may be able to fool some of these Vikings fans because they didn't have the misfortunate opportunity to watch the Cowboys last night as I did but, you can't fool me! I have watched the Dallas Cowboys play weekly for about 20 years. I know what good Cowboys teams look like in the off,pre,regular, and post season. The team I saw last night recoiled into the Chan days of old. They weren't any good and demonstrated nothing to anyone that they were, PERIOD!

There were some shimmering hopes at the running back position. I wouldn't hang your big ten gallon stetson on them though. Any team that doesn't blitz a linebacker or safety 75% of the time against Dallas this year is playing into the Cowboys hand.

Unfortunately, for you most NFL coaches will see what I do. #1 Dallas O-line is trouble and cannot get out and zone block. They are easily overcome when they don't have numbers in pass blocking. Why any team would let anyone of these QBs sit back and shred them, I wouldn't know? I am sure it will happen. With regard to the Viking match up--expect pressure, forced passes, interceptions if Dallas falls behind. Dallas will not stop the Vikings offense and the running game won't be a factor. Unless, I missed something "the time of possesion" stats you covet are merely a straw you are grasping for to help ease your misery. The Cardinals "won" the time of possesion battle last night too, I believe. That means Dick!

Don't be too ashamed the Texans are a vastly improved team, they will win more games than Dallas this year.

Well there Kotexpack....you must have been watching a different game than I was.

Dallas' starting o-line looked very good, yet you say they looked bad.

It was a preseason game, and it had no bearing on how the team will perform in the regular season, unless of course, you can forsee the future.

If you have watched every Cowboy game for the last 20 years, you must have Cowboy envy.

To say they were not any good is an ignorant statement. They drove to the red zone 3 times and their very inexperienced QB's made errant throws for int's.
If they were no good, they would not have made it to the red zone 3 times. 12,count 'em, 12 yards less than Texas. the turnovers were the difference, and that is to be expected for two QB's playing their first games ever. Simple rookie mistakes cost them the game, not that it matters, for it is,once again, a PRESEASON game.

I'm pretty sure I know alot more about football in general, and alot more about the Cowboys than you do, I have been a fan for 30+ years.

Only a jackass like yourself would judge a whole season of misery on one PRESEASON game. That shows your knowledge of football.

Now..........that being said, I wish you're Green Gaye(Happy) Ass Packers the worst.

Good day Kotex.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 03:02 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

It's sacred to me......as are the 5 SB rings. :lol:

TEXPACK
08-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar oh how I wonder how old you are? Up on the computer keyboard all night, like a Cowboy consumed with fright.

Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar it's just too bad you lived so far. Like a blind man you have no sight, and, judging by your English your, not so bright.

Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar, I guarantee the Cowboys won't go too far!

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2004, 03:29 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar oh how I wonder how old you are? Up on the computer keyboard all night, like a Cowboy consumed with fright.

Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar it's just too bad you lived so far. Like a blind man you have no sight, and, judging by your English your, not so bright.

Tinkle, tinkle on SacrumStar, I guarantee the Cowboys won't go too far!

you're*

But still that was hilarious

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 03:34 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Yeah..Im deeply concerned

There is a lot of game planning that goes into a preseason game

We lost 13-0 against the Arizona in AZ last year and that left a lasting impact :roll:

Here we go..to be fair:

5 positives...

Henson
Jones
Lee
Crayton
McBriar (punter)

McBriar can bring rain with his punts and looks a lot like fellow aussie Darren Bennett

Negatives?

Eddie George looked washed up
turnovers --(2 ints @ goalline )
lack of a pass rush
run d (129 yards given up, most by 1st and second string)
coverage in the middle of the field (boy we miss Woody)
PK--Cundiff struggles in TC have carried over--thats why we signed Matt Bryant
pass protection by Peterman and Vollers

we got a lot of work to do especially on D where we have 5 new starters

I would venture to say 4/5 of our OL is set...with the exception of RG

Adams, Allen, Johnson, ?, Rogers

LA looked as good as he has since '98, including a pancake in pass protection

Adams too..lights out

Johnson will start @ Center and has been dominating (from BP) in one on one drills

RT Tucker sucked...Rogers was much much better, though not great

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 03:36 PM
You lost Kotex.

As I stated, you know nothing of football, you just proved it. You had no obvious comeback except to post a childrens poem laced with your homo tendacies. Typical Packer fan. Immature and ill-prepared.

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 03:48 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

"TEXPACK" wrote:

SacrumStar,

Well there Kotexpack....you must have been watching a different game than I was.

It was a preseason game, and it had no bearing on how the team will perform in the regular season, unless of course, you can forsee the future.

If you have watched every Cowboy game for the last 20 years, you must have Cowboy envy.

To say they were not any good is an ignorant statement. They drove to the red zone 3 times and their very inexperienced QB's made errant throws for int's.
If they were no good, they would not have made it to the red zone 3 times. 12,count 'em, 12 yards less than Texas. the turnovers were the difference, and that is to be expected for two QB's playing their first games ever. Simple rookie mistakes cost them the game, not that it matters, for it is,once again, a PRESEASON game.

I'm pretty sure I know alot more about football in general, and alot more about the Cowboys than you do, I have been a fan for 30+ years.

Only a jackass like yourself would judge a whole season of misery on one PRESEASON game. That shows your knowledge of football.

Now..........that being said, I wish you're Green Gaye(Happy) Ass Packers the worst.

Good day Kotex.

Kotexpack?

In an effort to boost sales, Tampax Tampons is running a new promotion..

With each purchase a a 20 count box of Tampax Tampons, the purchaser receives a free doll named Tammy Tampax

Pull her string and she bleeds to death...

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 03:53 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Hey cowboy fan look here.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20031207_DAL@PHI

Have a nice day. :lol:

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 03:54 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

"TEXPACK" wrote:

SacrumStar,

Good day Kotex.

Kotexpack?

In an effort to boost sales, Tampax Tampons is running a new promotion..

With each purchase a a 20 count box of Tampax Tampons, the purchaser receives a free doll named Tammy Tampax

Pull her string and she bleeds to death...

Tammy Tampax wouldn't interest Kotexpack.

He wants Tommy Tampax or Timmy Tampax.

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Man i hope anyone wins the NFC East but the Cowpukes. Go Eagles, Go skins and Go Giants!

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2004, 03:59 PM
I'd prefer the Cowboys to win the division over Terrell Owned and the Eagles :shrug:

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 04:00 PM

"SacredStar" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

C'mon dude...... l I'm not hating on the Vikings, just the Packers.

Besides, Dallas also beat the Egirls last year too.

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I love the Eagles when they are playing the cowgirls. I loved that snap Dallas had out of the end zone against philly in the second game capped with Buckhalters 64 yard td run up the middle. Sorry dude Dallas sucks. Yes GB is up there right with them too.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 04:04 PM

I love the Eagles when they are playing the cowgirls. I loved that snap Dallas had out of the end zone against philly in the second game capped with Buckhalters 64 yard td run up the middle. Sorry dude Dallas sucks. Yes GB is up there right with them too.

No problem man, I respect your opinion.

I think the Packers suck.

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

Yes the Packers suck, damn ass packers. :lol: Ill give you that one. I hate Dallas too though.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 04:12 PM

"SacredStar" wrote:

Yes the Packers suck, damn ass packers. :lol: Ill give you that one. I hate Dallas too though.

I assure you, you are not alone in hating Dallas. You either love them or you hate them, there isn't usually an in-between.

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 04:14 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

I assure you, you are not alone in hating Dallas. You either love them or you hate them, there isn't usually an in-between.

Yep you like Philadelphia? Their going to sweep Dallas this year i think.

SacredStar
08-15-2004, 04:19 PM

"SacredStar" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

Yep you like Philadelphia? Their going to sweep Dallas this year i think.

I don't mind Philadelphia. They are a good team.

They will probably sweep Dallas this year. I have stated on this board earlier that I think Dallas finishes worse this season than last season. I think Dallas makes a push next season.

If it comes to Philly or or Minnesota in a playoff game, you can bet the house I'll be backing Minnesota. Division thing you know. :wink:

ItalianStallion
08-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I can't believe I actually want the Redskins to win the division. Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all piss me off :)

seriously though pre-season means jack. It is only there to help make personel decisions easier and injure people :P

dan3ski
08-15-2004, 08:19 PM
I will be happy with a win by 1 point. Parcells is a good coach and his teams alwas go down fighting.

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 08:54 PM

"SacredStar" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

You do the same.. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2001/week9/gamecenter/NFL_20011111_MIN@PHI.htm

muchluv4smoot
08-15-2004, 08:56 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

Hey sacredstar, I was just curious what you think is gonna happen in week 1? I keep hearing guys on ESPN and the NFL network say the cowboys are an 8-8 team, and I agree. They overachieved last year, and brought in a lot of old washed up guys who are only average football players at best now. How do you see the cowboys season going. Parcells is a great coach, but to preform magic 2 years in a row is expecting a lot, don't you think?

I think you guys should get henson and jones out on the field as much as possible this year, so next year, when you guys will have a lefit shot at haveing a good team, they have some experience. I think if george and vinny play too much this year, it is only gonna take longer for the cowboys to develope into a good football team. You guys have some good young talent, so you should play them now when your team isn't gonna be that good. Just my opinion I guess.

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 08:57 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I'd prefer the Cowboys to win the division over Terrell Owned and the Eagles :shrug:

Of course you'd rather have us win..youve had very good success against us the last 6 years..

God knows you want no piece of the G-Men or Philly late in the season (or in the playoffs) on the road

muchluv4smoot
08-15-2004, 09:08 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Of course you'd rather have us win..youve had very good success against us the last 6 years..

God knows you want no piece of the G-Men or Philly late in the season (or in the playoffs) on the road

Actually what happened in the past, means nothing. We have a totally different team now and only look towards the future and leave the past behind us. We want no piece of the giants??? Have you seen the team they have this year?? It looks down right pathetic. Yes, the eagles are a team to worry about, but the giants are bad.

vikingsalltheway
08-15-2004, 09:14 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

How many years ago was that? Philly has punked Dallas the last 3 years and it's funny how you have to use philly as a team to beat us since Dallas cant do it.

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 09:21 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Actually what happened in the past, means nothing. We have a totally different team now and only look towards the future and leave the past behind us. We want no piece of the giants??? Have you seen the team they have this year?? It looks down right pathetic. Yes, the eagles are a team to worry about, but the giants are bad.

True, but you guys are horrific on the road in the NorthEast

And BTW...who handed you you first loss of the season..and @ home last year?

That would be the 4-12 G-Men

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 09:24 PM

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

How many years ago was that? Philly has punked Dallas the last 3 years and it's funny how you have to use philly as a team to beat us since Dallas cant do it.

We havent fared well against the Eagles...cant deny that

But we finally broke the hex last year with a game 6 victory @ home.

Now, beating them on the road will be next..

This year?...time will tell

When is the last time you beat Philly on the road?

How many years now?

rjkvikings
08-15-2004, 09:30 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

How many years now?

Just wait until after week 2 then ask that. We'll be 2-0 with the W in Philly

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 09:37 PM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

How many years now?

Just wait until after week 2 then ask that. We'll be 2-0 with the W in Philly

Good luck...you havent won in Philly since 1985

And funny thing is I remember that game

I was in 7th grade and my english teacher was a lady by the name of Ms Morgan..she was an Eagles fan

The Eagles were leading 23-0 going into the 4th and gave up 28 unanswered points to lose.

muchluv4smoot
08-15-2004, 09:40 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

How many times do I have to say this, LAST YEAR WAS LAST YEAR, WE HAVE MOVED ON. I don't care who lost to who and who beat who last year, it means nothing to us. The fact is the giants have a horrible team this year and we are in no way afraid of them.

muchluv4smoot
08-15-2004, 09:43 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"SacredStar" wrote:

We havent fared well against the Eagles...cant deny that

But we finally broke the hex last year with a game 6 victory @ home.

Now, beating them on the road will be next..

This year?...time will tell

How many years now?

Your comparing how many years it has been since we beat phily on the road, to you guys??? You guys play them on the road every damn year. How often do we play them on the road??? Not a very good comparison there.

seekndestroy31
08-15-2004, 09:50 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

How many times do I have to say this, LAST YEAR WAS LAST YEAR, WE HAVE MOVED ON. I don't care who lost to who and who beat who last year, it means nothing to us. The fact is the giants have a horrible team this year and we are in no way afraid of them.

Thats cool...the Giants were 2-4 going into the game last year...

Well, you guys get your chance @ retribution this year against the G-Men on Halloween

Last year IS last year...and I cant wait till this year

muchluv4smoot
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

[quote="muchluv4moss
Thats cool...the Giants were 2-4 going into the game last year...

Well, you guys get your chance @ retribution this year against the G-Men on Halloween

Last year IS last year...and I cant wait till this year

Thank you! Now you see my point. You shouldn't dwell on what happened last year, unless you are a patriots fan. Everybody else would be dwelling on a loss to end their season. So many new teams with new coaches and new D corrdinators, anything can happen this year. That is why football is so great, anyone can win on any given year. Not like baseball, where the yankees spend as much as it takes to win year after year, YUK.

SacredStar
08-17-2004, 01:52 AM
"muchluv4moss wrote:

Hey sacredstar, I was just curious what you think is gonna happen in week 1? I keep hearing guys on ESPN and the NFL network say the cowboys are an 8-8 team, and I agree. They overachieved last year, and brought in a lot of old washed up guys who are only average football players at best now. How do you see the cowboys season going. Parcells is a great coach, but to preform magic 2 years in a row is expecting a lot, don't you think?

I think you guys should get henson and jones out on the field as much as possible this year, so next year, when you guys will have a lefit shot at haveing a good team, they have some experience. I think if george and vinny play too much this year, it is only gonna take longer for the cowboys to develope into a good football team. You guys have some good young talent, so you should play them now when your team isn't gonna be that good. Just my opinion I guess.

I have to agree with the media and you, Dallas is an 8-8 team this year, and yes, they did overachieve last season and anyone who denies that is blind.

Week one is a Viking win, and I cannot predict the score, but Minnesota is a better balanced team than Dallas. The Vikings are better on offense, no question there, and may even be better on defense. But being better on offense is the key in this game. Minnesota will be able to pass at will against Dallas' young secondary. We have Newman on one side who is solid, but everyone saw Carolina and Jake Delhomme just light him up in the playoffs. Newman got burned consistantly by Smith. On the other side, Dallas has Pete Hunter who is very, very raw and is a great athlete, but not yet a good corner. Roy Williams will be good at safty, but the FS is is unnamed as of yet, but whoever it is, they will be new and inexperienced. If any of you watched the Houston/Dallas game the other night, you saw David Carr going after Pete Hunter and having huge success,....you should see the same with Moss and Culpepper. Minnesota should be able to air it out at will.

On defense, Dallas has no pass rush, so Culpepper might want to bring a magazine to read while sitting in the pocket waiting for his reads. :wink:

Offense.......Dallas' O-line looks really good so far, and ReShard Lee and Julius Jones look promising. Beyond that, they have no sure fire weapons.

I look for Dallas to take their lumps this year, get Henson ready, pick wisely with their 2-1st round picks next draft and make a push next year.

Have I given up on this season already?

No, but I am a realist, I love the Cowboys, have been a fan for over 30 years, but this years team unbalanced and inexperienced.

casper
08-17-2004, 02:26 AM
SS good post but maybe a little hard on the old girls there I can see them go 9-7 10-6 and division title to lose in playoff but the girls have always had great support behind them and on the field it matters alot, but you are right against Minnesota Vikings this year NOT a chance... just wait and see what happens to the fudpuckers this year...Faver will be out and then it is to the bottom of the division....

muchluv4smoot
08-17-2004, 11:40 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

"muchluv4moss wrote:

I have to agree with the media and you, Dallas is an 8-8 team this year, and yes, they did overachieve last season and anyone who denies that is blind.

Week one is a Viking win, and I cannot predict the score, but Minnesota is a better balanced team than Dallas. The Vikings are better on offense, no question there, and may even be better on defense. But being better on offense is the key in this game. Minnesota will be able to pass at will against Dallas' young secondary. We have Newman on one side who is solid, but everyone saw Carolina and Jake Delhomme just light him up in the playoffs. Newman got burned consistantly by Smith. On the other side, Dallas has Pete Hunter who is very, very raw and is a great athlete, but not yet a good corner. Roy Williams will be good at safty, but the FS is is unnamed as of yet, but whoever it is, they will be new and inexperienced. If any of you watched the Houston/Dallas game the other night, you saw David Carr going after Pete Hunter and having huge success,....you should see the same with Moss and Culpepper. Minnesota should be able to air it out at will.

On defense, Dallas has no pass rush, so Culpepper might want to bring a magazine to read while sitting in the pocket waiting for his reads. :wink:

Offense.......Dallas' O-line looks really good so far, and ReShard Lee and Julius Jones look promising. Beyond that, they have no sure fire weapons.

I look for Dallas to take their lumps this year, get Henson ready, pick wisely with their 2-1st round picks next draft and make a push next year.

No, but I am a realist, I love the Cowboys, have been a fan for over 30 years, but this years team unbalanced and inexperienced.

Good points SS. The reason why i say dallas will struggle this year, is because of offense, or lack thereof. With the new rule change, or new enforcement of the pass interference rule, I think the league will be more about offense this year. I bet that the team that wins the super bowl, has a top 5 offense this year. With the new rule enforcement, it will be pretty hard to stop teams like the vikes, and colts, teams that pass the bal extremely well. These are my super bowl picks, since they have a ton of offensive talent and decent d's. Dallas doesn't have the offensive firepower to be a good team. They have a good D, but that isn't gonna get a team as far as it use to, with the expected enforcement of the pass interference rule.

Teams like minnesota, indy, KC, and yes even the pack, are teams too watch out for this year, with the pass interference enforcement.

seekndestroy31
08-18-2004, 04:21 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

JJT: Back in line: Allen seems revitalized

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in line: Allen seems revitalized

10:00 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 17, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

OXNARD, Calif. – Larry Allen's gap-toothed smile has returned.

It's there when he signs footballs and helmets for fans along a chain-link fence after practice. And it's there when the Southern California native talks to childhood friends who have made the drive up the coast to see him practice.

It's even there as beads of sweat roll rapidly down his bald head after his post-practice running.

The smile has returned because Allen is healthy and powerful again.

No longer is he the epicenter of controversy.

Football appears to be fun again for Allen, who's one of only three linemen to play in the Pro Bowl at three different positions.

But the last two years have been filled with tumult.

It reached an apex in March, when Allen was the only member of the team who did not participate in the Cowboys' off-season conditioning program because of a philosophical difference with Parcells over the training regimen.

Allen's agent, Marvin Demoff, tried unsuccessfully to work out deals with Detroit and Oakland.

Allen declined to comment.

"I never wanted to trade Larry Allen," owner Jerry Jones said. "I knew that if he got into good shape that we would rue the day we traded him."

Parcells appears to share that sentiment. That was not the case a year ago.

What went wrong

Allen wasn't fat when he arrived at training camp last July. Still, he was in poor condition because off-season ankle surgery had prevented him from getting in top cardiovascular shape.

A few days into training camp, Allen slammed his helmet to the turf and quit during a pass-rushing drill after perennial Pro Bowler La'Roi Glover beat him badly.

"Everyone gets beat in this game. It happens," left tackle Flozell Adams said. "Larry takes it a little more personal. He hates getting beat."

Allen suffered an ankle injury in training camp that often prevented him from practicing. Parcells has no tolerance for players that don't practice, because he believes football is a game of repetition that can't be learned from the training tub.

Allen further annoyed the coach by missing a flight to Pittsburgh for the final preseason game. He arrived late Friday night and played the next day.

Once the season started, Allen didn't perform like one of the NFL's highest-paid linemen.

He briefly left several games with an ankle injury, but never appeared on the injury report. Parcells often dismissed Allen's injury as a "puffy ankle."

Parcells does not place players on the injury report if they do not have their injuries treated by the training staff.

Once the season ended, debate on sports talk radio began immediately about whether Allen would be released.

The rumors intensified when Parcells temporarily banished him from the club's Valley Ranch training complex because of the disagreement over training philosophy.

Allen became an eight-time Pro Bowler by using a workout regimen built around bench presses, which increase strength. Parcells builds the Cowboys' off-season program around power clean and jerks, which enhance explosiveness.

Parcells didn't want Allen working out at the facility while his agent was trying to work out a trade.

Detroit eventually offered Dallas a third-round draft pick for Allen, but he turned down the deal. If he couldn't play in California, he preferred to remain in Dallas.

"I don't want to give up on anybody," Parcells said. "I was frustrated. No doubt about it. But that was then and this is now. Things have taken a turn for the better.

"I couldn't be happier about that. I really am. I don't have to prove a point with anybody. I'm not trying to be a dictator. Just come, do your job, be professional and get in shape."

Turning it around

After meeting with Parcells, Allen re-joined the team's workouts. He quickly impressed the coach.

He didn't complete the mandatory conditioning run on the first day of training camp, but he performed significantly better than he did last summer.

More important, Allen has participated in each of the 27 practices in training camp.

Allen is not just trying to survive practice; he's working to improve. In the process, Allen has earned praise from Parcells.

"He run blocks better. He pass blocks better. He pulls better," Parcells said. "He lifts weights better. He runs better. He's doing everything better, so that's good."

The results are showing on the field.

In the first quarter of the Cowboys' 18-0 loss to Houston on Saturday, Allen slung 6-4, 310 pound defensive end Robaire Smith to the ground as Vinny Testaverde completed a pass to Keyshawn Johnson.

Then Allen stood over his fallen foe as though contemplating whether to put his foot on his chest like an ancient warrior.

Smith bumped into Allen on the way to the huddle and a shoving match ensued. Allen barked at Smith for several seconds until Adams pushed him back to the huddle.

He has dominated in practice. On Tuesday, he pushed defensive tackle Jermaine Brooks 5 yards away from the play in an afternoon pass-rushing drill.

"He has been like a gift from above," director of pro and college scouting Larry Lacewell said. "He's practicing like he's one of the best in the game."

And it doesn't matter who he faces.

"Last year, Larry would be sucking air after two or three plays," Glover said. "Now, he can go eight plays in a row with the same power and the same strength. It's like he's regained his old form."

That's the kind of player Jones expected to have when he signed Allen to a six-year, $36 million deal three years ago.

And it's the kind of player the Cowboys must have if offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon's power running game is going to thrive.

The Cowboys have to believe they can run behind Allen and Adams and convert third-and-1 in the fourth quarter of an important game.

"He's such a unique talent when he has his health and conditioning that he can still be one of the best offensive linemen in the league," Jones said. "As players get into the latter stages of their careers, then they have to concentrate more on conditioning to avoid injuries."

New approach

Allen never had to make concessions on the football field – until now.

At 32, he can no longer dominate opponents with brute strength. He needs strength and technique to be successful now.

Jones believes Parcells will prolong Allen's career.

Over the years, other coaches have allowed Allen to do things his way.

If Allen only wanted to practice once a day in training camp, then he could. If he didn't want to play right tackle in 2002 because he doesn't like zone blocking, then the coaching staff didn't mind moving him to right guard where he could be happy, several club sources said.

Although Parcells does not run a democracy, he's sympathetic to the tedious nature of playing on the offensive line.

"It's the most nondescript job and requires the combination of physical and mental dedication to play well," Parcells said. "When I get a kid like Flozell and I see what I have – or Larry, of course, Larry has done so much – that if I don't give Flozell everything I know I feel like I'm failing him.

"I'm not letting him reach his potential if I don't stay on his [expletive] and teach him what I know and be demanding to him."

That trait is one that Jones admires the most. It allows him to sign players in their 30s like Allen and not wonder if he's going to get his money's worth.

"Parcells is relentless," Jones said. "The way he coaxes and cajoles players, he usually gets them to do what he wants. Talented players haven't always had to do that.

"One of the things Bill does best is get the most out of veteran players and get them to maximize their talent at the end of their careers."

Maybe that's why Allen is smiling.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

seekndestroy31
08-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Now, Im sure I will be met wilth plenty of resistance, but I will maintain my position that Hovan will be on LA one on one.

LA and John Hannah are the 2 best OG's ever to play this game, period.

If LA is 80 to 90 percent of what he was pre '02, which he appears well on his way to doing, he can and will handle Hovan

Some of you guys make Hovan sound like the second coming of Keith Millard, and thats just not the case...

This way, the double team gets shifted to Kevin Williams with Johnson and A. Gurode

Udeze will get his former teammate Rogers, and if Rogers struggles in man protection he gets TE help or a FB to chip block

With the exception of RT, the starting 4 is set and will do very well

seekndestroy31
08-18-2004, 04:35 PM
"casper" wrote:

SS good post but maybe a little hard on the old girls there I can see them go 9-7 10-6 and division title to lose in playoff but the girls have always had great support behind them and on the field it matters alot, but you are right against Minnesota Vikings this year NOT a chance... just wait and see what happens to the fudpuckers this year...Faver will be out and then it is to the bottom of the division....

I dont think the division is out of the realm of possibilities

Have any of you guys seen how many injuries the Eagles have sustained?

They were playing 2 O-Lineman @ DT at the end of last weeks preseason game..

Both our chances to beat Philly have increased dramatically

ItalianStallion
08-18-2004, 04:58 PM
nothing is impossible. Hell people are talking about the Bengals might actually make the playoffs, the world is coming to an end.

seekndestroy31
08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

nothing is impossible. Hell people are talking about the Bengals might actually make the playoffs, the world is coming to an end.

The impossible is becoming far more possible day by day

Now, you guys one Michael Bennett injury from being a pure passing team

Unless Moore and Williams can carry the load

Team self destruction is well on their way once again

josdin00
08-20-2004, 05:03 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Williams showed that he could carry the load last year, and Moore is playing well in the preseason, but we won't have to worry about that situation. No team, except the Cardinals, is that injury prone.

(All of Josh McCown's young targets are injured - Boldin, Fitzgerald, Johnson, and now the TE Jones.)

ItalianStallion
08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Williams has already proved he can carry the load.

magicci
08-20-2004, 05:30 PM
"SacredStar" wrote:

"muchluv4moss wrote:

when the cowboys were here they had the trophies here and the rings and emmits uniform from when he broke the recordwhen i was looking at the trophies the only thing i was thinking was that we'll have a trophey soon enough

Cul2Moss84
08-20-2004, 08:39 PM
i think many people are forgetting that quincy isnt playing any more :) or at least i dont think so :thumbleft: I think the WR's should have the fros again, they won last time when they had them! :rr:

duffVIkEs
08-21-2004, 01:12 AM
like infinity-0

no really 35-17

muchluv4smoot
08-21-2004, 10:58 AM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

OK, according to you, we would be a bennett injury away from being a passing team, but for 4 games only. I believe that moe proved last year that he can do just fine as a starter for a few games, also mewelde moore is a damn good RB and I would have no problem with him as a starter. Also, is it bad if we were a passing team for 4 games? I think we do have a hell of a group of WR's to be that passing team. I fail to see any problems with our backup RB missing 4 games, espcially after our pro bowl RB missed most of last year and we still had the #1 offense in the NFL. We also have a QB capable of gaining 75 or so yards on the ground on scrambling. You are just like pack fans last year when bennett was hurt, trying to talk crap about our offense. I think everyone in the NFL should know by now, that you can talk crap about our D until they prove something, but our offense is always good and they proved this last year.

Maybe focus on our D, because we can't argue too much with you there, until they actually play good in some regular season games.

seekndestroy31
08-28-2004, 11:42 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

OK, according to you, we would be a bennett injury away from being a passing team, but for 4 games only. I believe that moe proved last year that he can do just fine as a starter for a few games, also mewelde moore is a damn good RB and I would have no problem with him as a starter. Also, is it bad if we were a passing team for 4 games? I think we do have a hell of a group of WR's to be that passing team. I fail to see any problems with our backup RB missing 4 games, espcially after our pro bowl RB missed most of last year and we still had the #1 offense in the NFL. We also have a QB capable of gaining 75 or so yards on the ground on scrambling. You are just like pack fans last year when bennett was hurt, trying to talk crap about our offense. I think everyone in the NFL should know by now, that you can talk crap about our D until they prove something, but our offense is always good and they proved this last year.

Maybe focus on our D, because we can't argue too much with you there, until they actually play good in some regular season games.

Well, here we are a week later. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific...you're gonna be a less explosive team if Bennett doesnt play...Now, even if Bennett does play with his injury, he's gonna be less effective.

Here's a match up..Chris Rosenthal vs Marcellus Wiley and Dixon vs Glover...this is where we HAVE to get penetration and pressure

And right now, to be honest Id rather not talk about our D.

Without Woodson, we are in BAD shape Tony Dixon his replacment and flat out sucks. The middle of the field is gonna be open season until Woody gets back. There is a possibility that Woodson will get placed on the PUP list which wouldnt make him eligible for a return until week 6.

The RDT spot has also been a horror show. which is why we went out and sign Chad Eaton. Carson, our starter is still having pain from an offseason knee scope, Daleroy Stewart and Jermaine Brooks have done nothing to distinguish themselves. When Ty Wheatly and Troy Hambrick run on you inside, there is a problem.

RCB is a concern. Many of us couldnt run Mario Edwards out of town quick enough, but after watching his replacements..well..

Hunter will get better but will struggle early--especially against Moss and Robinson

We are going to get into a track meet..and we finally have the horses to compete

hawaiianvike21
08-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Here's a match up..Chris Rosenthal vs Marcellus Wiley and Dixon vs Glover

Its Mike Rosenthal and yes that will be an interesting matchup. I sure hope rosie has improved. That rams game where he gave up four freaking sacks to leonard little is one that disturbed me a lot. I know wiley is no little at least.

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Well, here we are a week later. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific...you're gonna be a less explosive team if Bennett doesnt play...Now, even if Bennett does play with his injury, he's gonna be less effective.

Here's a match up..Chris Rosenthal vs Marcellus Wiley and Dixon vs Glover...this is where we HAVE to get penetration and pressure

Without Woodson, we are in BAD shape Tony Dixon his replacment and flat out sucks. The middle of the field is gonna be open season until Woody gets back. There is a possibility that Woodson will get placed on the PUP list which wouldnt make him eligible for a return until week 6.

The RDT spot has also been a horror show. which is why we went out and sign Chad Eaton. Carson, our starter is still having pain from an offseason knee scope, Daleroy Stewart and Jermaine Brooks have done nothing to distinguish themselves. When Ty Wheatly and Troy Hambrick run on you inside, there is a problem.

RCB is a concern. Many of us couldnt run Mario Edwards out of town quick enough, but after watching his replacements..well..

Hunter will get better but will struggle early--especially against Moss and Robinson

We are going to get into a track meet..and we finally have the horses to compete[/quote]

Would you call our offense of last year, wihtout bennett, nonexplosive? It was still an extremely explosive offense and it still will be without bennett for a game or two. We vikes fans have been saying all offseason that we have the most depth and best backfield in the league, and now we will be able to show it. Don't think that with mewelde moore out there instead of bennett, that he isn't very explosive. The kid can flat out make plays and will get to show his stuff now in the running game, besides the kick return game. Now I will agree with you, if you say we are an injury away from having to worry a little about our rushing attack, but even then we have our 5th RB, larry ned, who is another explosive RB.

The only thing I worry about in this game, is if you guys decide to spread our D out and use 4 WR sets. It doesn't sound good for brian williams being able to play that game, and we are pretty thin at CB. There would be some matchups you guys might look at exploiting. It would be nice, if Ross was healthy for that game, because I am sure he would have plenty of motivation to play against his former team.

Man, the start of the season is taking forever to get here!

seekndestroy31
08-29-2004, 05:50 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

We are going to get into a track meet..and we finally have the horses to compete

Would you call our offense of last year, wihtout bennett, nonexplosive? It was still an extremely explosive offense and it still will be without bennett for a game or two. We vikes fans have been saying all offseason that we have the most depth and best backfield in the league, and now we will be able to show it. Don't think that with mewelde moore out there instead of bennett, that he isn't very explosive. The kid can flat out make plays and will get to show his stuff now in the running game, besides the kick return game. Now I will agree with you, if you say we are an injury away from having to worry a little about our rushing attack, but even then we have our 5th RB, larry ned, who is another explosive RB.

The only thing I worry about in this game, is if you guys decide to spread our D out and use 4 WR sets. It doesn't sound good for brian williams being able to play that game, and we are pretty thin at CB. There would be some matchups you guys might look at exploiting. It would be nice, if Ross was healthy for that game, because I am sure he would have plenty of motivation to play against his former team.

Man, the start of the season is taking forever to get here![/quote]

Where is Udeze lining up? @ RDE or LDE??

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 08:19 PM
"seekndestroy31" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

Man, the start of the season is taking forever to get here!

Where is Udeze lining up? @ RDE or LDE??[/quote]

Udeze will be in at LDE to start the season I believe. Man he has looked great at LDE in preseason. He seems to be a better pass rusher from that side IMO. I don't know though. We don't know who is gonna start at the other DE spot. If it is chuck wiley, the vet, then Udeze will be at LDE for sure. If it is darrion scott, the rookie, then scott will probably be LDE and Udeze at RDE, I think. I haven't seen scott play any RDE in preseason, just LDE. He also looked really good at LDE in the 49ers game.

casper
08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
seekndestroy31, & SS :?

I have to tell ya it is kind of like :scratch: a breath of fresh air to see someone from an opposing team in here talking football, :headbang: I for one welcome you and thank you for your posts 8) :happy9: