PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Stadium Bill Stays Alive At Capitol

singersp
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Posted on Wed, Apr. 05

Today at the Capitol

It's stadium bill day at the Capitol. While the Minnesota Twins opener inspired a lot of talk about a new home for that team, there will be two committee meetings at the Capitol today that will deal with other stadium proposals.

Plans to build a new stadium for the University of Minnesota football team would receive a boost from a bill before the House Ways and Means Committee when it meets at 8:15 a.m. today.

And financing for a Minnesota Vikings stadium in Anoka County would get rolling if legislators approve a bill that the Senate State and Local Government Operations Committee will discuss at noon.

Full Article (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/politics/14264678.htm)

singersp
04-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Apr 5, 2006 4:25 pm US/Central

Stadium Bills Stay Alive At Capitol

Stadium Bills Stay Alive At Capitol (http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_095123222.html)

vikesoto
04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Lets hope the new stadium become a reality.....

Slade
04-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Sweet! Hopefully no more snags! Lets get it going

VikesFan4Life
04-06-2006, 01:56 AM
At least it's some positive progress. Keep it goin' Ziggy!

SharperVikings
04-06-2006, 01:57 AM
common.....common......common....

WinonaVike
04-06-2006, 02:00 AM
We are already farther than we were with Red runnin the show.

bigdaddy72_1
04-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Nothing rings more tru in the article than the quote, "The longer we wait the more these things are going to cost."

There is no reason to not allow the athletic teams in question build these new stadiums, especially the vikings. These teams with their games and other events create jobs as well as raise moral throughout the state. And I hope it not being overlooked that the Vikings' stadium includes a shopping center as well as other things. This equals more jobs, and an increase in money spending in that county. I just hope that the out of touch legislative system is able to see the big picture surrounnding the issue at hand.

And what other Bills have recieved as much attention as these, I would think that this would speak for itself.

JellyBean2144
04-06-2006, 06:19 AM
This is great news. Let's keep talking people. We need this stadium.

audioghost
04-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I get so mad about this new gophers stadium b.s......the Gophers aren't half as popular or bring in half as much tourism and revenues to Minny as the Vikings or the Twins....the Gophers stadium should be on the back burner! Just doesn't seem right...bias politicians that went to U of M. seem to have their heads stuck in their browneyes deep, deep enough to blind them of the immense economic hit a loss of the Vikings or Twins would bring to the state.....I spend hundreds of dollars each year in Minnesota going to Twins and Vikes games, paying for gas, eating, shopping Etc....and so do many others...

How many Gophers fans are there around the country (in places two or three states away from Minny)?

Ok, now look at how many Vikes fans there are....look at the location of the members on this site....

Vikesoto and Slade: California residents...how many Gophers fan will you find there? Tourists that come from there to Minny to see a Gophers game? Not a whole lot.

The Vikings aren't just big in Minnesota...they are pretty much South Dakota, North Dakota, and Iowa's official team as well...more than half of the ppl I meet from these 3 states are Vikes fans....how many LOVE the Gophers? Maybe 1 out of every 20....

Minny needs to take this into consideration when prioritizing...cuz they look stupid putting the Gophers in front of their major pro franchises...

And they need to make a move, sh!ts not getting any cheaper with inflation...if the Twins woulda got a new stadium when they first wanted one in '97, woulda been loads cheaper....if the Vikes woulda got one when they first wanted one in the late 90's early 00's they woulda got it for MUCH cheaper....

Minnesota's hurting itself by putting this off....hopefully this goes through.

collegeguyjeff
04-06-2006, 07:13 AM
the gophers don't deserve a stadium, they don't bring in money like the nfl does.

singersp
04-06-2006, 07:41 AM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Stadium proposal approved by Senate panel
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:13:42 -0700

Don Davis, of the West Central Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings stadium proposal was approved on a voice vote Wednesday, April 5, by the Senate State and Local Government Operations Committee.

The proposal has at least two more committees to vote on it before it reaches a full Senate vote. Team owner Zygi Wilf has taken the rough proposal to build a stadium in Blaine and expanded it to inlude a major shopping complex, hotel and entertainment center.

Wilf would fund most of the development himself while a proposed increase in sales tax would help raise $280 million. The proposed complex, called the Northern Lights, would create 4,000 construction jovs for three years and 9,000 permanent jobs when the complex opens.

singersp
04-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Vikings owner claims complex a tax windfall

By Don Davis, The Forum
Published Thursday, April 06, 2006

ST. PAUL – Minnesota would receive $100 million annually in new taxes if the state allows the Vikings to build a stadium and retail complex, senators heard Wednesday.

Team owner Zygi Wilf predicted the complex would draw a million visitors a year.

“The NFL (National Football League) has become a year-around tourist destination,” Wilf told the Senate State and Local Government Operations Committee.

The panel approved the stadium proposal on a voice vote Wednesday. It has at least two more committee stops before reaching a full Senate vote.

While the Vikings stadium got its start Wednesday, a separate proposal to build a University of Minnesota football stadium is due for a House vote today and a Minnesota Twins ballpark proposal is advancing.

RELATED CONTENT

In the year Wilf has owned the Vikings, he has taken a rough proposal to build a stadium in Blaine and expanded it to include a major shopping complex, hotel and entertainment center 15 minutes north of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Called the Northern Lights, Wilf would fund most of the development himself.

STADIUM JUMP

He and Anoka County officials seek permission to increase the state sales tax to 75 cents for a $100 purchase, which would raise $280 million of the stadium’s $675 million cost. Wilf would pay another $280 million, while $115 million of sales taxes collected in the North Lights complex would be set aside to repay a loan funding part of a retractable roof and area infrastructure improvements such as roads.

The 68,500-seat stadium, which could be expanded to more than 72,000 seats for a Super Bowl, would be built on mostly vacant land along Interstate 35W in the northern Twin Cities.

Supporters said Northern Lights would create 4,000 construction jobs for three years and 9,000 permanent jobs when the complex opens.

Steve Novak, an Anoka County official, said the Vikings’ project would create more jobs than the entire public works bill, which funds construction projects across the state.

Echoing what the university and Twins say about the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis, Sen. Don Betzold said it “has outlived its usefulness.”

The Fridley Democrat, sponsor of the Vikings plan, said the football team wants to put all of its facilities – stadium, practice field and team headquarters – in one place. The team now plays in the Metrodome, which opened in 1982. Its headquarters and practice facility are in the western Twin Cities suburbs.

Wilf said his complex would be the anchor to the northern Twin Cities like the Mall of America and airport anchor the south.

Rabid Vikings fan Larry Spooner would not be one of those going to retail stores during a Vikings game. Wearing a Daunte Culpepper jersey with the name taped over, Spooner said the team “is a national resource.”

In lively testimony, Spooner told committee members that the bill they were considering “is a solution” to the long-standing problem of what to do about sports stadiums.

The only person who testified against the stadium was James Hafner of Coon Rapids, who on Monday opposed a Twins ballpark.

“I believe they are here for the money,” Hafner said about the Vikings. “There is a tremendous amount of money involved.”

Committee members sounded like they generally support the bill.

“The longer we wait, the more it is going to cost,” Sen. David Tomassoni, DFL-Chisholm, said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Don Davis at (651) 290-0707

Vikings owner claims complex a tax windfall (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=122670§ion=News)

PurplePumpkin
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
singer your title is very fitting!

Git r done Minnesota!
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s15349.html?cat=1

omahaviking
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Being in Missouri, I'm a bit out of the loop, so bear with me. Has a stadium bill ever gotten to the capitol before? I know Red screwed alot of things up and legislators didn't care much for him. I hope this goes through. Any sense on the feelings of Minnesota voters?

Go get 'em, Ziggy!!!

twiztedfait
04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
This is further then red ever got us

As far as voters go, most of the people I talk to want a new stadium and would not mind having the extra .075% sales tax. Some are football fans and some are not. I really hope this becomes a reality. The dumptydome needs to be replaced ASAP.

NodakPaul
04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Has anybody else noticed that the funding map for the state money has changed? Or has it always been this way?

He and Anoka County officials seek permission to increase the state sales tax to 75 cents for a $100 purchase, which would raise $280 million of the stadium’s $675 million cost. Wilf would pay another $280 million, while $115 million of sales taxes collected in the North Lights complex would be set aside to repay a loan funding part of a retractable roof and area infrastructure improvements such as roads.

Before I believe the plan was just to request the $115 fromthe state, not reclaim coffer taxes... Anybody know for sure?

singersp
04-07-2006, 04:04 AM
"PurplePumpkin" wrote:

singer your title is very fitting!

Git r done Minnesota!
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s15349.html?cat=1

Of course it is! As is everyone else with a title. Webby always asigns fitting titles.

Lotza
04-07-2006, 04:28 AM
ziggy is da man!

jaymz7
04-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Man I hope this gets done. We need to get out of the metrodome.

WisconsinSucks
04-07-2006, 04:39 AM
As soon as Zigi bought the team and I learned he was a real estate developer, I knew the stadium project would be done. He didn't buy the Vkings because he loves football. He knows if he puts a winning ball club on the field and gets this deal done, he will make a fortune. This is the ultimate development project. Real estate developers care about one thing. MONEY. At least he is smart enough to know that the product on the field results in dollars.

Mikecarter81
04-07-2006, 04:40 AM
Hey all

Let me say this, their is a lot of hope and wishing on this board, if you really want to make a serious push for this, then call your senator and say vote yes! Tell them your name, district, and that you vote!

Mike

snowinapril
04-07-2006, 04:53 AM
"I'm just a Bill on Capitol Hill" :grin:

I love that song

singersp
04-07-2006, 05:05 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"I'm just a Bill on Capitol Hill" :grin:

I love that song

LMAO! I remember that from when my kids were young. It was a catchy tune.

damien927
04-07-2006, 05:13 AM
WOW, this is the first time that I actually thought it MIGHT have a chance this year. I figured it wouldn't get voted on this year and they would add a little more private money and then it would go through next year. I am really pumped that it might have a chance.