PDA

View Full Version : even after all the offseason work.....were 18th

nextvikingsstar
04-05-2006, 02:04 AM
i know its a power ranking thing that doesnt really mean anything but, how can you take ashot at a guy who went 7-2 last year, with and offensive line that well did we even have one, but still 18th overall, with the phins ahead of us, come on

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9357254

mnwildfan79
04-05-2006, 02:10 AM
The lower the expectations the better imo.

We added a ton of talent on paper, but these guys need to come together as a team. One proven way for guys to come together as a team is for them to be disrespected by the media/opposing teams/players. When they show up for training camp we have guys like Birk in there talking about how no one thinks we can do it, and how they think we aren't good enough. I know it sounds cliche and it is, but I really do think it works.

nextvikingsstar
04-05-2006, 02:13 AM
yeah i can agree with that,

but how and the heck do the phins get ranked 5th there are a lot better teams then the phins, on and off paper, idk that really tweaks me that cpep coming off a MVP caliaber year 2 years ago, and we dont get ranked taht high, but then now hes with the phins and he had a horrible year, blew his knee out, and THEY rank his team 5th

shawn9876uss
04-05-2006, 02:25 AM
The only reason the phins are 5th is because of daunte, and what has he done??? nothing and he is coming off a serious injury

LAVike
04-05-2006, 02:34 AM
That guy's an a$$. I wouldn't say top ten to start the season, but close. Maybe 11 or 12, but 19th!! Seriously.

RK.
04-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Even with Culpepper, this team needs to get better line play. If they do, watch out. Ronnie Brown could be ready for a 1,500-yard season. If they don't get better line play they will understand why Culpeper is not a WC quarter back. :lol:

I think these power rankings are pretty suspect. Its all based on paper not actual play and made before the draft has even happened. I think we will be in the top 10 come the season.

Eyedea
04-05-2006, 02:39 AM
I don't have a problem with the ranking... face it we have a ton of question marks, making us about average...

VIKINGinGEORGIA
04-05-2006, 02:55 AM
[quote="nextvikingsstar"]i know its a power ranking thing that doesnt really mean anything but, how can you take ashot at a guy who went 7-2 last year, with and offensive line that well did we even have one, but still 18th overall, with the phins ahead of us, come on

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9357254[/quote

The fins SHOULD be ranked higher than us PRESEASON. The had a monster second half of the season and GOT better. We have too many question marks. All new coaches. New Rb, Qb. 18th is actually a good ranking.

jaymz7
04-05-2006, 03:13 AM
I personally like the fact we are rated low. Every time we are ranked to excel the team struggles, but when they are picked to not do so well is when the Vikes play their best.

Maybe it is because they want to prove how good they are. The team has made many changes and still has to prove they can take whats on paper and make it work on the field.

Besides its fun to see all of the experts say they won't do well and when the Vikes do then all of them are saying how they knew the Vikes could do it and that they had them down to do well.

Just sit back, wait, and enjoy. I think the season is going to be one of the most exciting to see in years. A new offense, a new defense, new players with potential on both sides of the ball. I can't wait.

V4L
04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
18th sounds logical... Very reasonable actaully..

We have all new coaches and a ton of new players.. Never know how it will turn out

thesuperfreak19
04-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Dolphins #5? That's a joke, and I don't care how they ended last season. Brad Johnson led us on a similar streak.

Potus2028
04-05-2006, 03:22 AM
i think the guy is a moron..

"didn't he used to play with a leather helmet"..

stupid ding-dong...

and yes.. stupid ding dong is my insult to him

ultravikingfan
04-05-2006, 03:31 AM
"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:

"nextvikingsstar" wrote:
[quote]i know its a power ranking thing that doesnt really mean anything but, how can you take ashot at a guy who went 7-2 last year, with and offensive line that well did we even have one, but still 18th overall, with the phins ahead of us, come on

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9357254[/quote

The fins SHOULD be ranked higher than us PRESEASON. The had a monster second half of the season and GOT better. We have too many question marks. All new coaches. New Rb, Qb. 18th is actually a good ranking.

That is the reason they are ranked 5th.

Good post.

sabatajh
04-05-2006, 03:51 AM
I dont put much wieght into a NFL team ranking before the draft is even complete!

Not to mention this guy has a MAN crush on Culpepper! lol! I gaurentee if we wouldnt have traded culpeper we still would have bee 18th and he would have said "can culpepper really come back from an injury" all of a sudden he gets traded and hes back to superstar level!

VikesfaninWis
04-05-2006, 04:28 AM
With the addition of Steve Hutchinson, Birk coming back at 100%, and Chester Taylor, and Tony Richardson leading the backfield, I don't understand why we are 18th. That is fine though, it will make it that much sweeter proving everyone wrong..

Eyedea
04-05-2006, 04:35 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

With the addition of Steve Hutchinson, Birk coming back at 100%, and Chester Taylor, and Tony Richardson leading the backfield, I don't understand why we are 18th. That is fine though, it will make it that much sweeter proving everyone wrong..

We don't know what birk's 100% is anymore, so we cannot assume he will be great like he was in the past. He had a serious injury.

Chestor Taylor hasn't proven he can carry the load as a full time back

Tony Richardson's strength at this point of his career is probably his presence in the huddle/lockerroom

VikesfaninWis
04-05-2006, 04:38 AM
"Eyedea" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

We don't know what birk's 100% is anymore, so we cannot assume he will be great like he was in the past. He had a serious injury.

Tony Richardson's strength at this point of his career is probably his presence in the huddle/lockerroom

Birk has done many drills and said that if the season started tomorrow, he would be ready to go. Birk knows his body better than anyone, so we have to assume he is 100%. Chester Taylor may not have proven himself, but I see that alot of Raven fans are pissed that he is gone, and Lewis is still there. Tony Richardson is still a force as a blocker, and he still has great hands for catches. As far as our offense is concerned, we are much improved from last season.

cajunvike
04-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Who cares what Crisco (the stuff that he greases his bung with when his manlover comes over) thinks!!! Besides, it's before the draft!!!

DarrinNelsonguy
04-05-2006, 04:47 AM
At this point, no one knows how a team will perform because they haven't even had minicamp yet. I would not put much stock in the analysis yet.

SharperVikings
04-05-2006, 04:53 AM
"mnwildfan79" wrote:

The lower the expectations the better imo.

We added a ton of talent on paper, but these guys need to come together as a team. One proven way for guys to come together as a team is for them to be disrespected by the media/opposing teams/players. When they show up for training camp we have guys like Birk in there talking about how no one thinks we can do it, and how they think we aren't good enough. I know it sounds cliche and it is, but I really do think it works.

yeah remember last year?...superbowl pick...and we choked....

I like the idea of underrated! :lol:

SharperVikings
04-05-2006, 04:55 AM
also notice in the article...they dont say anything worrying about culpeppers knee for the phins....but they are worried about brees' shoulder...what are the cracked!?!

Eyedea
04-05-2006, 04:57 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Birk has done many drills and said that if the season started tomorrow, he would be ready to go. Birk knows his body better than anyone, so we have to assume he is 100%. Chester Taylor may not have proven himself, but I see that alot of Raven fans are pissed that he is gone, and Lewis is still there. Tony Richardson is still a force as a blocker, and he still has great hands for catches. As far as our offense is concerned, we are much improved from last season.

Birk may be healthy, but he could have lost some skill or strength with the time out. he could be feeling find, and still be weaker at the same time. Our offense wasnt that good last year. Even with brad Johnson our defense set up the offense alot last year. One game that really jumps out was the lions game, where they gave the offense like 2 drives within the redzone. We still don't know who our right tackle and gaurd are going to be. I also think it will be hard for Johnson to play as well as he did last year. He struggled down teh stretch against the steelers and ravens. I think we saw the best Johnson can offer, so it is going to be hard for him to match it.

norseforce
04-05-2006, 05:17 AM
we better pickup SCHUAB, every team knows old man johnson is a stiff, no mobility, one hit away. teams will key the running game to the left side, blitz johnson

Potus2028
04-05-2006, 05:21 AM
psh.. best johnson can offer.. he's still got another good 5 seasons.. haha

he's good for another year. see, we know when its a qb's time <cough cough green bay> give him one more year.. johnson is still our guy.

and birk is our guy too!

but i will agree with cajun and darrinelsonguy, no minicamps, or the draft for that matter have been had.. so it's literally "too early to say"

norseforce
04-05-2006, 05:23 AM
I'm not worried about BIRK,he's a warrior, the only thing I'm worried about is if rosenthal ends up starting at RT. (watch out brad!)

baumy300
04-05-2006, 05:24 AM
"nextvikingsstar" wrote:

i know its a power ranking thing that doesnt really mean anything but, how can you take ashot at a guy who went 7-2 last year, with and offensive line that well did we even have one, but still 18th overall, with the phins ahead of us, come on

Ughh, dude....He may have been under center, but 5 of those 7 we won were because of our defense. Our defense and our special teams that scored more than our offense.

DarrinNelsonguy
04-05-2006, 05:25 AM
"norseforce" wrote:

we better pickup SCHUAB, every team knows old man johnson is a stiff, no mobility, one hit away. teams will key the running game to the left side, blitz johnson

Picking up Schaub would be nice, but have some faith in our new coaches and their ability to prepare a game plan.

Potus2028
04-05-2006, 05:28 AM
norseforce..

you are dead on.. dead on aout rosenthal being dead wait..

he gets more false starts and HOLDING calls than blocks in a game..

DaunteHOF
04-05-2006, 05:30 AM
We're 18th because we DONT HAVE A QB!!! Plain and simple, we traded our All pro QB and having found a suitable replacement and we havent shown the neccessary defensive capabilities to sustained wins without us scoring a lot.

ultravikingfan
04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

We're 18th because we DONT HAVE A QB!!! Plain and simple, we traded our All pro QB and having found a suitable replacement and we havent shown the neccessary defensive capabilities to sustained wins without us scoring a lot.

If we had Pep, we would be 28th...ever think of that?

Have you not taken off the cloudy Pep glasses yet or what?

norseforce
04-05-2006, 05:48 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

We're 18th because we DONT HAVE A QB!!! Plain and simple, we traded our All pro QB and having found a suitable replacement and we havent shown the neccessary defensive capabilities to sustained wins without us scoring a lot. that's the TRUTH, but, I have alot FAITH in our coaches and staff to figure something out before the season, they have done the best job so far in free agency, but what I like about this new owner/coach, they want to build a WINNER A DYNASTY! thats why I cant wait till we storm onto the field MONDAY NIGHT in our NEW UNIFORMS to stomp the skins

Ltrey33
04-05-2006, 06:01 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

If we had Pep, we would be 28th...ever think of that?

Have you not taken off the cloudy Pep glasses yet or what?

I smell sour grapes!

Anyway, I respectfully disagree with the 18th rank. However, based upon our underachievement the past few years I don't blame them for ranking us there. I just hope Childress shows them that this regime will be different than the old one!

"shawn9876uss" wrote:

The only reason the phins are 5th is because of daunte, and what has he done??? nothing and he is coming off a serious injury

I don't think the Fins are 5th because of Daunte. I think that may go into it, but the Dolphins showed A LOT of improvement last year and were very strong towards the end of the year. They ended up with the same record as us, and the talent and the expectations were much lower. I think a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Saban, and I can see why. Still, I think 5th for them is a bit high.

bigdaddy72_1
04-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Honestly, this power ranking means nothing. It is pre-draft, pre-mini-camp, and free agency isn't even over. However, for the sake of discussion I think that our ranking being 18th is a little harsh. The Vikings have made serious moves this offseason which have done nothing but improved the franchise, most notably the signing of Hutchinson. The question marks are there for skeptics to draw on;

The Vikings had a solid defense last season, but the skepticism occurs because the team is changing defensive philosophies. Some may see this as a weakness, but we all know that our defense will only improve. Especially, in the turnover column. The team ridded itself of poor ownership and coaching (including front office personnell), hiring solid individuals that fit into the franchise's philosophy, but they are new and that can be looked at as a weakness. And seriously, Brad Johnson is deadly within 20 yards from the line-of-scrimage, but Johnson throws a very poor deep ball. This allows opposing defenses to shallow their zones, and eliminating openings in coverage. The improvement of our offensive line and the signing of a good RB will help to set up the play action game, allowing for Johnson to have a bigger window of error in the deep game. He just doesn't have the arm strenght to throw a good deep ball, that would help our offense to fully develop. This is why our big rookie last season, Williamson, was able to showcase his speed.

These are the question marks that surround the Vikings, and are the reason why some idiots might rank them 18th. I think that the team is looking strong, and as much to expect as anyother team in the NFL.

Go Vikes!

Foranzan
04-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Didn't he once wear a leather helmet?

Made me laugh :evil4:

Caine
04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
"baumy300" wrote:

"nextvikingsstar" wrote:

Ughh, dude....He may have been under center, but 5 of those 7 we won were because of our defense. Our defense and our special teams that scored more than our offense.

Our Defense/Special Teams may have put us in position to win some of those games, but Johnson - unlike a previous QB I could name - didn't put us in a position to lose them by turning the ball over repeatedly.

I think giving the Dolphins a #5 ranking is a bit on the optimistic side. They may suprise a few people this season, but I really don't see them challenging the AFC elite quite yet. And, given what we know about Culpepper, I don't see them breaking out of the high-middle ground any time soon.

As for our own ranking, I don't really care. I mean, c'mon, they gave the Eagles the #11 spot for pete's sake!!! With so many question marks on our guys right now with all the changes, not too many are going to pick us high going in...and that's good.

That also means that not too many are going to know how to prepare for us early on. That'll change as the season progresses, but initially we should be able to suprise some people.

Heck, to be honest, WE don't even know where to rank us yet. We don't really know what version of the WC Offense we're going to be running, and we don't know how well the pieces we have will fit that mold. We could get lucky and wind up like Tampa Bay when Gruden came in to town...or we might struggle as the pieces come together.

As for those who say that they want to see the draft first, I'm not in that group. Not too many rookies come in and make a huge impact right away. Usually, they take up role-player positions or serve as minor upgrades until they find their stride...assuming they do.

And, finally, how many "experts" know our team as well as we do? Not too many. They track the handful of so-called "elite" teams closely, and give the rest of us enough attention to sound Knowledgeable. They watched Culpepper's highlight reel, but we saw the entire season.

So, in the end, I couldn't care less about how we're ranked initially. So long as we move forward and continue to improve, I'm happy.

Caine

digital420
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
were as i like the fact we are under-graded, we won't have the big heads of.. We are BLA BLA team.. i wanna speak with actions not expert rankings.

but anyone notice that the first 14 paragraphs are displaying the lust this guy has for D.c? dude.. go get a poster and enjoy it

DiGiTaL

Prophet
04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
We should be rated 3rd, no wait...21st....no, maybe 7th.....no, probably 24th...yeah but maybe 15th....no...I'll go with 17th. That sentence carries as much weight as these power rankings do. It is a fair rating.

Del Rio
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
We're rated 18th because we were rated way higher last year and when we took a dive at the begining of the season all these "experts" were backpeddaling trying to hide thier lists under their desks.

So they put the Vikings in the middle of the pack so they can say "See I told you" regardless of weather we move up or down.

It's all bullshit.

They had the Seahawks ranked 16th last year......

farvathevikinglover
04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't agree with the rankings, but it doesn't mean anything. I bet they didn't have the Packers rated fifth-to-last, but that's where they finished. This can only motivate us to do better, and besides, its pre-draft, and you never know who'll det injured.

snowinapril
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
"shawn9876uss" wrote:

Chris Chambers, Ronnie Brown and the fact that they put up good number and won 9 games last year, winning 6 straight to end the season. They did this with Frerote and Rosenfels. But, they lost Linehan????? and possibly Williams who spelled Brown?????

Now you add DC on top of that and they look like they could be powerful, should put up big numbers.

For some reason I thought they won more than 9 games last year, oh well.

The Dolphins puzzle is almost put together, the only piece to put in is DC.

We are still dumping all the pieces out of the box and they are scattered all over the table. It might not take us long to put it together, but there is a chance that we put the puzzle together around the key pieces and find out one of the pieces is missing, or the person that put the puzzle together previously may have damage a piece, who knows.

Not much stock put into the ranking until the teams actually start to play.

mnvikes61
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Why should it matter? At this point in time it's all opinions anyways. It all matters what we do on the field during the regular season and hopefully the playoffs.

Personally I like flying low on the radar in comparison to flying higher on the radar. Last year I wasn't comfortable at all with the 'ratings'. We hadn't proved a thing yet people were ready to hand us the trophy at this time last year.

NodakPaul
04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:

I agree. We have so many new additions to the team. New coach, new Coordinators, new o scheme, new d scheme, new starting QB, new Starting RB, probably some more new LBs before the season starts...

When all is said and done I feel fairly confident about our team this year, but the fact is they remain untested on the field. I think 18 is a fair ranking to give us at this point in time. Plus it will make us a Cinderella story when we win the SB this year! :grin:

sunny
04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
"Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban is about to find out the good side. The acquisition of Daunte Culpepper makes his Dolphins a Super Bowl contender, which is why they are now in the top five of the CBS SportsLine.com Power Rankings."

Evidently this guy never saw Culpepper play in a conference championchip game :twisted:

Del Rio
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
You just can't take these things seriously.

I mean last year they have the bucs and bears ranked among the leagues worst and they went on to be division champs.

whackthepack
04-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Unless the Dolphins add more to their O-line they should not be ranked 5, they have some serious issues and if they can not protect Daunte they will have a problem.

Plus they signed Kelly Campbell which should drop them at least 3 spots on any power ranking.

Jeremy
04-06-2006, 07:36 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Unless the Dolphins add more to their O-line they should not be ranked 5, they have some serious issues and if they can not protect Daunte they will have a problem.

Plus they signed Kelly Campbell which should drop them at least 3 spots on any power ranking.Campbell is just a role player. He's there to run fly routes and the occasional reverse, maybe return kicks or punts. He's very good at those things. I don't see how he's gong to hurt the Dolphins. Chambers and Booker are their starters. Campbell will be their 3rd, fouth or fifth reciever.

The Dolphins o-line is a lot better than the one the Vikings had last year. The have a solid one two punch at RB with Brown and Williams. Randy McMicheal at TE, Chambers at reciever. They just added a franchise QB. They were ranked 8th on the last one of these that I saw and it was by the same guy....

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9233607

olson_10
04-06-2006, 07:43 AM
why all the culpepper talk? the dolphins will draft vince young if hes still on the board anyways

Jeremy
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

why all the culpepper talk? the dolphins will draft vince young if hes still on the board anywaysIf he's still on the board when the Dolphins pick he'll be in Minnesota next year. We're the team in need of a young QB not the Fins and we draft after them. If any QB slips that far it will be Jay Cutler.

UndisputedVike
04-06-2006, 09:53 AM
They're all the same, Don't believe the media when it comes to these dumb rankings. They have no idea how the 2006 season will pan out.

Hell they have NE at 3 for god sakes...After all they lossed? I'm sorry but they don't have those amazing coaches anymore so filling just anyone in the gaps is proving to be a thing of the past.

Who did they lose to in the playoffs? an overrated Denver team.

Wiggles67
04-06-2006, 03:10 PM
The Vikings have far too many question marks for us to be ranked any higher than 18th.

Lets look at what we lost over the last 2 years.

Randy Moss - the best WR in the game
Daunte Culpepper - an elite QB
Corey Chavous - a Pro Bowler
Nate Burleson - #1 WR last year

Throw into the mix the fact that we signed an unproven RB, we have a 38 year old QB, a second year WR that is unproven, K-Rob who is amazing on special teams but hasnt established himself as a got to WR.

Lastly, we have an ENTIRELY new coaching staff from top to bottom that is also putting in a completely different offense.

Right now there are just too many question marks

I honestly am surprised we are ranked that high.

VikesFan4Life
04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Seriously, what is the point of these silly off-season rankings? We haven't even had the draft yet.

They're like all mock drafts; never 100% accurate, but fun to compile.

omahaviking
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't put much stock into rankings of any kind until about mid-season. Right now, it's anyone's guess who will be good or not. and everyone has an opinion. Let 'em put the pads first.

collegeguyjeff
04-07-2006, 02:41 AM
don't worry about what that dumb thing says, after about 2 weeks it will change and they will change it over and over til the playoffs, they just want to look smart and they want people to think they know what they are talking about.

if the vikings won their first 5 games they would go way up then they would say oh the vikings are doing good. this thing is just stupid i dont' know why i ever read the one on espn for.