PDA

View Full Version : Judge tosses boat-party charges against Culpepper



Muggsy
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Judge tosses boat-party charges against Culpepper
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper was cleared Tuesday of misdemeanor charges stemming from a boat-party sex scandal.

A Hennepin County judge ruled there wasn't probable cause to determine a crime was committed by Culpepper, one of four Minnesota Vikings accused of misdemeanor lewd conduct during the cruise last fall on a suburban lake. Culpepper has since been traded to the Miami Dolphins.

Judge Kevin Burke denied a motion to dismiss charges against running back Moe Williams.

The other two players charged, cornerback Fred Smoot and tackle Bryant McKinnie, weren't part of Tuesday's ruling. Their next hearings were scheduled for Thursday.
===============================================
So, if you're accused of gettin' a lap dance from some broad, just say youse was shootin' dice! :lol:

purpleFavreEaters
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little. Its sick a person can use the racial card still these days and get off of a obvious altercation.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/350148.html

NodakPaul
04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Its sick a person can use the racial card still these days and get off of a obvious altercation.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/350148.html

It wasn't the racial card that got him cleared of the charges. it was lack of evidence. Moe Williams was not cleared of any charges, even though he also alleged that race was a factor in the charges...

purpleFavreEaters
04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Thats what they claim. I think its pretty obvious that was the case however.Moe Williams is a nobody, of course they will stay after him, Cullpepper however has to many high profile friends, and alot more money to pursue the racial card.

ColoradoVike
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

Thats what they claim. I think its pretty obvious that was the case however.Moe Williams is a nobody, of course they will stay after him, Cullpepper however has to many high profile friends, and alot more money to pursue the racial card.

From where are you getting this insight?

The article you linked clearly states to the contrary:

"Burke declined to rule on earlier defense contentions that Culpepper was prosecuted because they are black, calling that issue "moot" because he ruled on the strength of the evidence against the two."

Furthermore, if the different rulings for Culpepper and Williams are due to the notion that "Williams is a nobody" as you say, then this would be an issue of celebrity status and not race.

I think it's you, purpleFavreEaters, who is playing the race card.

Prophet
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
LOVE BOAT CASE AGAINST CULPEPPER THROWN OVERBOARD
Mike Florio (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

A Minnesota judge has pitched the criminal charges pending against former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Culpepper had been facing three misdemeanor counts arising from his alleged cavorting with a stripper on a boat last October.

Per the KARE-TV and the AP, the judge ruled that there was no probable cause (http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=122336) to believe that Culpepper had committed a crime. Culpepper's lawyers also had moved to dismiss the charges based on allegations of racial bias, since two white men who admitted to engaging in the behavior for which Culpepper was charged had faced no scrutiny. Today's ruling apparently does not address that issue. Running back Moe Williams has offered up a similar argument, and the charges against him are still pending.

Also charged are cornerback Fred Smoot and tackle Bryant McKinnie, who based on the criminal complaints allegedly engaged in far more, ahem, colorful conduct that Culpepper and Williams. Their cases are also unaffected by the ruling.

Culpepper recently testified that he was shooting craps on the cruise, and that he declined the opportunity to receive a lap dance. It remains to be seen whether he'll now face scrutiny for admitting to engaging in illegal gambling.

The Vikings traded Culpepper to Miami last month for a second-round pick in the April 29 draft.

FinNasty23
04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Sweet... I just saw this on ESPNNews... Now he can just soley focus on his rehab...

BirdHunter
04-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Cullpepper is a Douche bag, if his defense was that he was throwing dice the whole time of the cruise, then why did he wait to use that for an excuse until a couple of weeks ago? If that is what happened he should of said something right away. I beleive that he was just as invloved as Moe, but probably had a better lawyer.

dmw14
04-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, so there wasn't enough to convict him, BUT...he was still there getting $#@! while his wife was at home. Look, the guy showed he's a dirtbag...no room for him on this ship!

FinNasty23
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
"BirdHunter" wrote:

Cullpepper is a Douche bag, if his defense was that he was throwing dice the whole time of the cruise, then why did he wait to use that for an excuse until a couple of weeks ago? If that is what happened he should of said something right away. I beleive that he was just as invloved as Moe, but probably had a better lawyer.

He is a douchebag because he hired a good lawyer and got out of the charges? I say good for him...

The chargers were bs anyway and they wouldnt had been charged if they wernt celebrities in the first place...

shawn9876uss
04-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I am glad we got rid of him, he was not a leader at all.

VikesfaninWis
04-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh well.. It could have gone either way.. I just hope that two of our starters will get the same thing. Smoot and McKinney need to focus on football, and I hope that the charges against them get dropped as well..

purpleFavreEaters
04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Exactly the only reason any of the charges where dropped is because they are famous and got good lawyers. Not to mention throwing the whole race card idea in peoples head a few weeks back. Anytime a black athlete is in trouble with the law its always allabout the race card. The fact is they guys broke the rules and they should be punished like everyone else. I am so sick of this black and white thing.

Ltrey33
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Good for Daunte.

Prophet
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
...Also charged are cornerback Fred Smoot and tackle Bryant McKinnie, who based on the criminal complaints allegedly engaged in far more, ahem, colorful conduct that Culpepper and Williams. Their cases are also unaffected by the ruling...

Since this is posted in the Vikings forum, let's talk about the Vikes on the current roster. What will happen to Mount & Mouth? Community service and a fine? Will Wilf look the other way in his new regime that is touting character? Should be interesting to see this play out.

Vikes
04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Congrats PEP. Good luck.

Del Rio
04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
If the lapdance doesn't fit you must acquit!

What an ugly drawn out pile of shit. I wish we never had to hear about these guyses issues and just watch them play football.

vikinggreg
04-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Pep is now to face gambling charges as his defense was he was shooting dice at the time of the alleged lapdance :lol:

badbois
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
that a boy duante! damn the man! he didn't even do anything, and if he did, a lapdance isn't even a big deal. all these charges are ridiculus and so is peoples outrage!

PurpleRide
04-04-2006, 08:05 PM
"dmw14" wrote:

Okay, so there wasn't enough to convict him, BUT...he was still there getting $#@! while his wife was at home. Look, the guy showed he's a dirtbag...no room for him on this ship!

So its wrong to go hang out with your friends while the wife sits at home?
When did jesus come and tap you on the head?
He did not do anything, getting a lapdance is not crime in MN(yet, F*ckin christian freaks) He did nothing wrong, and why were the 2 white dudes not charged?
I do think it had more to do with who they are rather than race but who knows? We are the most regressive state in the union now, anything can happen here.

Del Rio
04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"dmw14" wrote:

Okay, so there wasn't enough to convict him, BUT...he was still there getting $#@! while his wife was at home. Look, the guy showed he's a dirtbag...no room for him on this ship!

So its wrong to go hang out with your friends while the wife sits at home?
When did jesus come and tap you on the head?
He did not do anything, getting a lapdance is not crime in MN(yet, F*ckin christian freaks) He did nothing wrong, and why were the 2 white dudes not charged?
I do think it had more to do with who they are rather than race but who knows? We are the most regressive state in the union now, anything can happen here.

Did you just call Christians freaks?

COJOMAY
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Did you just call Christians freaks?

I noticed that and I don't think that kind of remark has any place on this board!

cajunvike
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
And for you, Daunte Culpepper, thank you for playing...we have some lovely parting gifts...namely the fact that the judge has cleared you of the charges...have a good life.

Of course, next season when we play the Dolphins, you will just be another opposing QB that our stud DL will grind into hamburger meat!!! :evil4: Don't worry, we don't want you hurt, just shut down for one game...you can have all of the rest of the season to take your division from the Patsies!

NodakPaul
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

Exactly the only reason any of the charges where dropped is because they are famous and got good lawyers. Not to mention throwing the whole race card idea in peoples head a few weeks back. Anytime a black athlete is in trouble with the law its always allabout the race card. The fact is they guys broke the rules and they should be punished like everyone else. I am so sick of this black and white thing.

You mean like all the other black athletes? Or like everybody else on the boat who got their freek on? Or society in general? If these guys weren't celebraties they never would have been charged in the first place.

I doubt race actually had anything to do with them getting charged. I also doubt that it had anything to do with the charges getting dropped. It was a weak case from the beginning.

NodakPaul
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"dmw14" wrote:

Okay, so there wasn't enough to convict him, BUT...he was still there getting $#@! while his wife was at home. Look, the guy showed he's a dirtbag...no room for him on this ship!

So its wrong to go hang out with your friends while the wife sits at home?
When did jesus come and tap you on the head?
He did not do anything, getting a lapdance is not crime in MN(yet, F*ckin christian freaks) He did nothing wrong, and why were the 2 white dudes not charged?
I do think it had more to do with who they are rather than race but who knows? We are the most regressive state in the union now, anything can happen here.

WTF dude? First, don't turn this into your personal problem with Christianity. Grow up and keep your insults off the forum. Second, calling Minnesota the most regressive state in the union shows that you haven't been outside the state much. Minnesota is still pretty liberal by most standards.

shawn9876uss
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
How the heck do you brink religion into this, there was a crime comitted, otherwise they would not have done what they did to prosecute.

Del Rio
04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

Exactly the only reason any of the charges where dropped is because they are famous and got good lawyers. Not to mention throwing the whole race card idea in peoples head a few weeks back. Anytime a black athlete is in trouble with the law its always allabout the race card. The fact is they guys broke the rules and they should be punished like everyone else. I am so sick of this black and white thing.

You mean like all the other black athletes? Or like everybody else on the boat who got their freek on? Or society in general? If these guys weren't celebraties they never would have been charged in the first place.

I doubt race actually had anything to do with them getting charged. I also doubt that it had anything to do with the charges getting dropped. It was a weak case from the beginning.

I imagine they would have been charged regardless of standing in society. That kind of shit being done in front of 18yr olds that are very uncomfortable with it doesn't fly. Their unease with the situation is what brought this all out. Of course they get overlooked cause someone is saying meanie head things to our favorite players........but like I said at the time if that was my daughter I would be fooking irate.

That being said I believe there would have been charges regardless. The two things I think that would not of happened are:

A) You wouldn't have heard about it
B) They wouldn't have gotten off of the charges they would have had to pay that wopping 1000$ fine.

Del Rio
04-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Now the question is can or will any of the staff try and sue the players for exposing them to this.

If that happens then I would be suspicious of the intentions.

Prophet
04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I am mentally challenged, please ignore my comments on the issue.

Ok, sorry to hear that.

modena11
04-04-2006, 08:45 PM
not surprised and good for daunte.

people who think that this stuff doesnt happen on a regular basis are being foolish. it just never gets caught. the vikings were stupid and got caught. end of story.

now smoot and mckinnie hopefully can follow suit and get back to football.

WinonaVike
04-04-2006, 09:02 PM
"modena11" wrote:

not surprised and good for daunte.

people who think that this stuff doesnt happen on a regular basis are being foolish. it just never gets caught. the vikings were stupid and got caught. end of story.

now smoot and mckinnie hopefully can follow suit and get back to football.

Just because it happens on a regular basis doesnt make it legal or right......

ultravikingfan
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
The slope is getting slippery.

purpleFavreEaters
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
No crap Modena11!!! Just because people do not get caught doing it doesnt make it ok, by your arguement then because they did get caught they should be punished, your whole statement makes absoulutly little sense.

Prophet
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
KFFL
NFL | M. Williams motion to have charges dismissed denied
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:56:08 -0700

The Associated Press reports a motion filed to have charges against free agent RB Moe Williams (Vikings) dismissed was denied by Judge Kevin Burke.

Prophet
04-04-2006, 11:42 PM
KFFL
Dolphins | Culpepper makes statement on having charges dropped
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:23:16 -0700

The Miami Dolphins announced QB Daunte Culpepper made a statement after learning the charges filed against him were dropped. "I was confident when the legal process began that the truth would come out, and I am glad that my innocence has been proven. I greatly appreciate Judge Burke's sensitivity to the damage that can be done to a person's reputation when they are wrongly charged." He added, "In the meantime I stand with my former teammates that are still in the legal process. I consider them innocent until proven guilty."

JellyBean2144
04-05-2006, 12:03 AM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Its sick a person can use the racial card still these days and get off of a obvious altercation.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/350148.html

Gee, I guess you were there when the whole thing went down, huh? So the idea of innocent until proven guilty means nothing to you? What a sap.

You are the one who needs to stop using the race card.

purpleFavreEaters
04-05-2006, 12:32 AM
A Sap???? F off dude! If you followed the case at all then you would know Cullpeppers story changed not once , not twice, but three times. If you remember correctly his 1st story was he was not even there, then he was there but did not know there where ladies present , then he was there but was not in the same room with the ladies but on another level playing Dominos. Funny thing is it takes more than one person to play Dominos, and I did not hear one person come forward and step up for Pep saying they where playing Dominos with him. The man is guilty you know it and I know it and everybody else knows, he is rich, he is a celeberty, and he was able to get good lawyers. Pure and simple thats the only reason this case was thrown out.Coincidently another post on here talk about a guy whos case was thrown out in court. His name was Mark Chmura, you remember him? He is the guy who sexual molested a 14 year old girl who happened to be his babysitter. That case was also thrown out of court. Would you like to stand up for him now as well???

COJOMAY
04-05-2006, 12:42 AM
...on another level playing Dominos.

Gee, that would be FOUR changes. Last I heard it was "dice" he was playing. LOL

singersp
04-05-2006, 12:49 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Now the question is can or will any of the staff try and sue the players for exposing them to this.

If that happens then I would be suspicious of the intentions.

I've been saying that all along. It's just the way that Al & Alma's lawyer was handling it from day one.

It reeked of a civil lawsuit. He was the one feeding the media & accusing players right & left.

He also made the whole episode appear to be an orgy scene right out of Caligula & the Minnesotans ate it up hook, line & sinker.

Slade
04-05-2006, 12:58 AM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

A Sap???? F off dude! If you followed the case at all then you would know Cullpeppers story changed not once , not twice, but three times. If you remember correctly his 1st story was he was not even there, then he was there but did not know there where ladies present , then he was there but was not in the same room with the ladies but on another level playing Dominos. Funny thing is it takes more than one person to play Dominos, and I did not hear one person come forward and step up for Pep saying they where playing Dominos with him. The man is guilty you know it and I know it and everybody else knows, he is rich, he is a celeberty, and he was able to get good lawyers. Pure and simple thats the only reason this case was thrown out.Coincidently another post on here talk about a guy whos case was thrown out in court. His name was Mark Chmura, you remember him? He is the guy who sexual molested a 14 year old girl who happened to be his babysitter. That case was also thrown out of court. Would you like to stand up for him now as well???


purpleFavreEaters - 1
JellyBean2144 - 0

WinonaVike
04-05-2006, 12:59 AM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

A Sap???? F off dude! If you followed the case at all then you would know Cullpeppers story changed not once , not twice, but three times. If you remember correctly his 1st story was he was not even there, then he was there but did not know there where ladies present , then he was there but was not in the same room with the ladies but on another level playing Dominos. Funny thing is it takes more than one person to play Dominos, and I did not hear one person come forward and step up for Pep saying they where playing Dominos with him. The man is guilty you know it and I know it and everybody else knows, he is rich, he is a celeberty, and he was able to get good lawyers. Pure and simple thats the only reason this case was thrown out.Coincidently another post on here talk about a guy whos case was thrown out in court. His name was Mark Chmura, you remember him? He is the guy who sexual molested a 14 year old girl who happened to be his babysitter. That case was also thrown out of court. Would you like to stand up for him now as well???

WEll im glad at least someone agrees with me that the law is the law no matter who you are. Maybe he was innocent, but its sure fishy. The fact of the matter is that with the evidence we saw Culpepper was guilty.

purpleFavreEaters
04-05-2006, 12:59 AM
My bad I think you are right it was Dice. Still I think you need more than one person to play Dice. Where are the witnesses?

Slade
04-05-2006, 01:28 AM
not likely that Pep was "ahem...playing with himself" :oops:

DaunteHOF
04-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Uh-oh, Most of the people here owe the guy an apology. I knew he wasnt involve in the boat antics. Though I feel even if he was it isnt such a big deal.

ultravikingfan
04-05-2006, 05:47 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Uh-oh, Most of the people here owe the guy an apology. I knew he wasnt involve in the boat antics. Though I feel even if he was it isnt such a big deal.

Does not mean he was not involved in anything.

Wake up son.

singersp
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

My bad I think you are right it was Dice. Still I think you need more than one person to play Dice. Where are the witnesses?

There was no need for witnesses. The trial never got that far. The case was dismissed due to lack of probable cause.

Vikerliker76
04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Here's a funny story: I'm watching the local news here in WI and when this story came up the local anchor said, "QB Daunte Culpecker was aqutited.............," realized what she said and the set just started laughing :lol: . The other anchor had to finish the story. When it was over, the female anchor said, "Wow, NOT the story to mess up that name!" That was GREAT!!!!!!! Thought I'd share.

Prophet
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Uh-oh, Most of the people here owe the guy an apology. I knew he wasnt involve in the boat antics. Though I feel even if he was it isnt such a big deal.

I'll put him next in line. I'm still trying to find O.J. so I can apologize to him.

tarkenton10
04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
purpleride wrote:

So its wrong to go hang out with your friends while the wife sits at home?
When did jesus come and tap you on the head?
He did not do anything, getting a lapdance is not crime in MN(yet, F*ckin christian freaks) He did nothing wrong, and why were the 2 white dudes not charged?



So basically you use Jesus to set your own agenda "When did jesus come and tap you on the head?" and then you act like a bigot using slurs agianst Christains "(yet, F*ckin christian freaks)"; HMMMMMMMMMMMM seems to me you sound like hypocrit. You don't mind bashing Christians but race is something that is sacred to you.

I think you shouldn't bash anyone because of race, creed, or religion.

I am not a DC fan in any way but I do have to say getting arrested for a lap dance is pretty lame. I have seen worse in a bar or on the street.
but don't start slamming a group of people because you feel they have a different view than yours. Because let's face it, you are not going to meet very many people that have EXACTLY the same view as you in every case. I am sure you have different views on issues than your mother or father. I don't think you would be talking like that if they had a different view point.

I am sure that now DC was aquited he can now use the excuse he was getting a lap dance if they choose to pursue a gambling charge!!! :lol:

cajunvike
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
"Vikerliker76" wrote:

Here's a funny story: I'm watching the local news here in WI and when this story came up the local anchor said, "QB Daunte Culpecker was aqutited.............," realized what she said and the set just started laughing :lol: . The other anchor had to finish the story. When it was over, the female anchor said, "Wow, NOT the story to mess up that name!" That was GREAT!!!!!!! Thought I'd share.

With his small hands, maybe she should have called him Daunte Smallpecker! :evil4:

NodakPaul
04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

A Sap???? F off dude! If you followed the case at all then you would know Cullpeppers story changed not once , not twice, but three times. If you remember correctly his 1st story was he was not even there, then he was there but did not know there where ladies present , then he was there but was not in the same room with the ladies but on another level playing Dominos. Funny thing is it takes more than one person to play Dominos, and I did not hear one person come forward and step up for Pep saying they where playing Dominos with him. The man is guilty you know it and I know it and everybody else knows, he is rich, he is a celeberty, and he was able to get good lawyers. Pure and simple thats the only reason this case was thrown out. Coincidently another post on here talk about a guy whos case was thrown out in court. His name was Mark Chmura, you remember him? He is the guy who sexual molested a 14 year old girl who happened to be his babysitter. That case was also thrown out of court. Would you like to stand up for him now as well???

No, I don't know that he is guilty. I have my suspicions, but neither I, nor you, know anything. You claim that the only reason the case was thrown out is because he is a celebrity. I maintain that the only reason he was charged in the first place is because he is a celebrity. There is probably some validity to both. I am sure that good lawyers did indeed make a difference for him. If it was just his celebrity status or his money than got the case thrown out, why are there still three Vikings facing trial?

The burden of proof is on the prosecutor. Daunte, despite your personal feelings, is innocent until proven guilty. You claim that nobody else came forward to back up Daunte's story? How exactly do you know that? Do you have an inside line to the defense? Were you at the proceedings? Or are you just making assumptions based on what you read in the paper :roll:? How many people were willing to come forward and say that Daunte got a lap dance? Apparently less than were willing to say that he didn't, because the case was dismissed for lack of evidence.
Burke wrote Culpepper's version of events would clear him if true, and since the prosecutor offered nothing to rebut it, he found no probable cause.

Also, trying to prove your arguement by relating the case to Chmura is really weak.