PDA

View Full Version : Koren Robinson: 'Ask For Help'

singersp
04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
From the St. Paul Pioneer Press;

Posted on Mon, Apr. 03, 2006

'ASK FOR HELP'

Here's Vikings receiver Koren Robinson:

I didn't drink until my last year in college.

I'm glad I got that DWI when I was playing in Seattle. That turned it around.

I'm a better man. I'm a better father. I'm a better human.

Every time I was late to practice, alcohol was involved. I realized every time something was going bad in my life, alcohol was involved. I had to look at the equation: "Let's see what's going on. Something is not right. Let's take this out." You take out the alcohol, and it evens up every time.

If you have a problem, you've got to admit you have a problem and do something about it. Then you have to set up a plan so there's no possible way you're going to take another drink or be around any of that stuff.

In my situation, I had a pride issue. I had an ego. I felt like I was Superman. I felt if I wanted to run into that brick wall, that brick wall was going to move for me. Professional athletes feel like that. They don't want to feel weak, and they don't want to tell anyone their problem. I was saying, "Koren, this is hurting you. Drop your pride."

It's OK to ask for help. What other people think about you is none of your business.

I made the Pro Bowl as a returner. I have to make the Pro Bowl as a receiver now. That's a real high goal on my list.

Can I catch 100 passes for 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns? That all sounds good, but I really don't put numbers on the table. That's jinxing yourself. If you don't meet them, you'll be all sad and down on yourself. I'm just looking to have a great year.

I feel great about the Vikings' offseason moves. Everybody thinks we're starting over. I feel like we still have people for the foundation and we're adding people to make the puzzle come together.

I like Brad Childress. He's a funny guy. We joke around all the time. You want to have a business relationship, but you want to have fun, too. Some people say he's a disciplinarian. I say he's a straight shooter. He tells you the way he wants it done. I respect a man like that.

I considered going to other teams. But I've been saying I wanted to stay in Minnesota and prosper in Minnesota. The fans and the organization showed me a lot of love.

The West Coast offense suits me. It gives me the opportunity to go downfield a little more. And it puts me in certain one-on-one matchups. I can do a lot of slants. A lot of outs. A lot of quick hitches. I can get the ball in my hands and use what I've got — my God-given ability.

I can make somebody miss and go 80 yards. It reminds me of my days as a running back in the rec league and in high school and college.

When I first got to college, I was a running back.

I haven't seen the new uniforms. I keep asking our equipment manager to show them to me.

I just saw "Inside Man" with Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster. Denzel is a great actor. It was a good movie. You're going to be surprised.

I'm too old to buy some fancy things with my signing bonus. I've pretty much got everything I want. I've got all the cars and jewelry and finer things in life. I'm in a different phase of my life. I'm going to church and hoping God keeps blessing me.

I'm into fishing. I fish for bass. I fish back in Charlotte and Raleigh. I haven't fished up here in Minnesota yet.

I listen to music. I read books. I like bowling, playing pool. I have a 170 bowling average. I just bowled a 197.

My favorite movie of all time is "The Shawshank Redemption." I just like the way Tim Robbins' character handled every situation.

I try to never miss "The Sopranos."

If a movie was made about my life, who would play me? Denzel would be too old. I'd say Usher. He could do the soundtrack, too.

The best advice I ever got was, "Don't be the one that stands in the way of your own success." We do tend to do that sometimes.

The worst advice I ever got was "Take this next drink."

If I could trade places for a day with any celebrity, I'd want it to be 50 Cent. I'd like to see what his lifestyle is like.

I let God's plan run its course.

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Koren Robinson, who overcame a lot of adversity to become a great human being."

'ASK FOR HELP' (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/14248590.htm)

hailtocarter
04-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I love that guy!

singersp
04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
"Koren" wrote:

I'm into fishing. I fish for bass. I fish back in Charlotte and Raleigh. I haven't fished up here in Minnesota yet.

There you go Ned!

NordicNed
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
What a great read, also sounds like he has a solid hold on his sobriety and that will lead him to great things.

Out of all the players returning next season, K-Rob excites me the most, I know he has some mad skills and can't wait to see him on the field.

He is the main reason, I'm not that worried we lost Nate. I think he can play a better game than Nate in the long run.....

Also nice to see the coach getting some praise from a player. I think Childress may just be that next great Viking Coach.....

NordicNed
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Koren" wrote:

There you go Ned!

Maybe I should send ole K-Rob an email, invite him out for a day on my new boat.... Del Rio, you can come to if you want...

http://www.regulatormarine.com/images/26_05_07.jpg

singersp
04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Koren" wrote:

There you go Ned!

Maybe I should send ole K-Rob an email, invite him out for a day on my new boat.... Del Rio, you can come to if you want...

Sure! Leave me out! :wink:

digital420
04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
another proving statement that K-rop is a stand up guy. on and off the field..

great to see how players who ARE a part of the system are getting to know the new plans, schedules, and coaches!!

DiGiTaL

Mark_The_Viking
04-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't know why but reading this gave me a real buzz of excitement about the upcoming season. K.rob will do the business and so will all the other guys. I'm not saying this is a superbowl year but its the makings of one heck of a team.

Cmon Vikings

V4L
04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Awesome he is on a mission to get to the pro bowl as a WR

VIKINGinGEORGIA
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
KROB the new face of the VIkings. This was a great read. RESPECT!

Ltrey33
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Koren is awesome. I'm so glad he turned everything around and is on the right track, and I'm also glad he landed in our lap! That's one thing you can thank Tice for.

I'd be interested to hear who finally told him he had a problem, or if he came to that conclusion himself.

whackthepack
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Can I catch 100 passes for 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns? That all sounds good, but I really don't put numbers on the table. That's jinxing yourself. If you don't meet them, you'll be all sad and down on yourself. I'm just looking to have a great year.

90 passes caught for 1300 yards and 10 TD's.

That would be a great 2nd season for Koren in Minnesota! With Travis, Troy and Marcus behind him our offense would be rolling if he could put up those numbers.

cajunvike
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Way to go, KoRo!!!

Wiggles67
04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
he could very easily be favorite Vikings player

how could you not like this guy?!

PurplePeopleEaters
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I should start looking around fishing spots around here for Koren. :lol:

But seriously. Koren has really turned his life around. He has faced a lot more adversity than other people.

DCPologirl
04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
what a class act I am so glad he stayed.

VikesfaninWis
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
This guy is amazing. He is one hell of an athlete, and a bigger man to hone up to his problems.. He needed help, and asked for it. It takes a bigger man to admit his faults, and to seek closure on them, especially when that man is famous and in the public eye.

Good job K-Rob, now lets go kick some azz and take the Vikings to the promise land..

farvathevikinglover
04-03-2006, 05:54 PM
That is something I admire in an athlete when I see it. He promised to come back if offered a fair deal and he did. He became one of my favorite players and I think he'll do awesome this year and play a bigger role as a receiver.

Odin VAVikefan
04-03-2006, 06:21 PM
So glad we re-signed this class act. Regardless of his future performance, I was rooting for him to stay in large part because I didn't want him to face any major disruption that could possibly affect his recovery. This guy has acheived someting far more important than what a player can do pushing a synthetic pig bladder back and forth across 300 feet. As far as I'm concerned, half of his new salary should be just for having such a great example of willpower overcoming adversity in the locker room as an example to the rest of the players. Exactly the sort of thing every team needs. Way to go Koren, we're so lucky to have this guy.

Odin VAVikefan
04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Koren" wrote:

There you go Ned!

Sure! Leave me out! :wink:

Hands off the tushy when I'm giving lap dances!!!

Ugh. Sorry! I couldn't resist. :cool:

sabatajh
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Krob is deffinatley my favorite player on the vikings now! He is a stand up guy i think he will consistently produce 1000 yards a season!

audioghost
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I think we're all witnessing the second coming of Cris Carter. For all you young guys, this is what Cris was like...he overcame his problems with alcohol and he found a fresh start on the Vikings...he took accountability for his mistakes and the rest is history...

Watch out NFL, K-Rob is gonna rip this muthatrucka up!

Starting next season....K-Rob will be the secong coming of Cris Carter, and Troy Williamson will be the 2nd edition of Anthony Carter, and they will rip up the league just like Cris and Anthony used to....

YOU JUST WATCH!!!!

WinonaVike
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
People like Koren Robinson make me proud to be a Vikings fan. From what i can tell he has completley turned his life, as well as career around. Congratulations Koren, and keep up the good work.

Caine
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Well, I suppose I don't need to gush now that everyone else has....

...but I will anyway.

THIS is what more players need to do. THIS is what makes a "Fan favorite". THIS is a role model...someone who owns up to what they've done, and encourages others not to fall into the same pitfall.

Birk is still #1 with me, but Koren just made it a real close decision.

Caine

magicci
04-04-2006, 06:47 PM
i got this from a really old article

Robinson's speed has been questioned because he was timed between 4.59 and 4.63 seconds in a 40-yard dash in a workout for scouts. His hamstring was bothering him.

"I have been clocked from a 4.33 to a 4.38," he said. "The 40 times of 4.5 or 4.6, those are not accurate at all."
i juss wanted to let you guys know about that. if he can really get that 4.33 that is awesome
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/draft/news/2001/04/21/seahawks_draft_ap/

damien927
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Man, if he can keep on this track, he may be our new version of Cris Carter......overcoming an obstacle and becoming one of the best all-time. We can hope right?

Vikes
04-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Good stuff! Stay sober Koren!