PDA

View Full Version : Should Tice be fired?

so-cal vike
07-28-2004, 10:02 PM
If the Vikings make an early exit in the playoffs this season, or if they don't make the playoffs at all, it is in my opinion that Coach Tice should be fired. I have never believed that Tice was the right choice for head coach, and I am still unsure of that decision. I don't think Tice has shown the guts needed to take the chances that are necessary to take the Vikings to their first Super Bowl win. I am a loyal Vikings fan and always will be, but I call on all Vike fans to watch this season carefully and if our team falls apart again, demand the dismissal of Tice as head coach.

AngloVike
07-28-2004, 10:08 PM
"so-cal vike" wrote:

If the Vikings make an early exit in the playoffs this season, or if they don't make the playoffs at all, it is in my opinion that Coach Tice should be fired. I have never believed that Tice was the right choice for head coach, and I am still unsure of that decision. I don't think Tice has shown the guts needed to take the chances that are necessary to take the Vikings to their first Super Bowl win. I am a loyal Vikings fan and always will be, but I call on all Vike fans to watch this season carefully and if our team falls apart again, demand the dismissal of Tice as head coach.

We always watch the season carefully as you'll see from the posts on this site.
Lets at least get Training camp done with before we start looking at changing the coaching staff ...

SKOL
07-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Tice has actually had a big part in building what could be a powerhouse for years to come. He's never before had the luxury of having a team that's talented on both sides of the ball. This will definitely be a make or break year for Tice. I personally think he'll do fine. He's a smart coach that rarely makes the same mistake twice (I hope he learned his lesson on young kickers last year).

By the way, welcome So Cal.

ndakvikefan
07-28-2004, 10:36 PM
so-cal I would not be surprised if Tice is fired if the team does not make the playoffs but not for the reason you mentioned AT ALL. I beleive you are probobly a loyal fan but you must have missed a couple games last year. To say Tice does not have the guts is nieve. Remember the Saints game last year, without Tice going for 2 they may not have won. Remember the Cardinals game when they went for it on 4th down on the opening drive. I personally thought with the leagues number one offense and it being so early in the game that it was a great gutty decision but it cost them the game. If anything he is too guttsy sometimes. How many times did they go for it on 4th down last year???? ALOT.
I love Tice as a coach, the only thing I do not like is his game plan sometimes, and that is the sign of a young coach and I feel if anything that is what will cost him his job. Although he recently defended his Chicago game plan from last year which I thought was a terrible plan but what he said makes sense. He said he did not feel the defense could hold up in a shootout or in a game that they spent alot of time on the field, that is why it was such a ball control game. He also said something today that makes alot of sense also. He and his coaches know what players can and cannot do, they know this better than any fan or any sports reporter. Think about it with such a young team they are the only people who really know his desicions may have made them a 9-7 team last year without them they may have went 3-13 who knows. We all know what Moss can do or pepper and a couple others but did anyone really know what Onterio could do or Kevein Williams or Rosenthal or how good is Mckinnie or Cambell or Bates or Burlesson. This team is so young nobody outside of the coaches really know. I do agree with the added talent this year if they have a dimal year he should be fired, but not because of a lack of guts.

vikings_fan66
07-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I personally am I big fan of Tice's and think he has done an outstanding job at building this team. I dont think he should be fired if they lose early in the playoffs or even if we dont make the playoffs. there a young team and going in the right direction. I dont think it would help to uproot the whole team.

triedandtruevikesfan
07-28-2004, 11:30 PM
I too am a big fan of Tice. However, I do believe that if we don't make the playoffs at least this year he will be fired. He had a 3 year plan... and he had a lot of rebuilding to do. I have said it a thousand times and I'll say it again. Our season and our games don't come down to one person... there are lots of things that led to our crash and burn last season... it can't all be blamed on Tice.

VKG4LFE
07-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Ludacris question!! Next!

muchluv4smoot
07-28-2004, 11:41 PM
While I can't praise tice enough for what he has done these last 2 years to build our team up, especially our D, I still say he isn't a good head coach. He talked about a 3 year plan and now that time is up. He clearly has the talent on our team to at least make the playoffs, so if we don't he needs to be let go. Now if you are asking if I think he will be gone at the end of the year, i say no. We all know how cheap Red is, and Tice has an option in his contract for one more year. I expect red to excercise that option, because of how cheap tice's contract is. If we do make a good run this year, expect red to give tice a nice new contract. But really, this question should not be asked at this time of the year.

whackthepack
07-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Training camp starts in 2 days and your talking about if Tice should be fired, have some faith! :sunny:

vegasvike
07-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Hell no Tice should not be fired when we have a D to go with our O everyone will praise him. Maybe not with our O but we should have a killah D this year

DiehardVikesFan
07-29-2004, 12:27 AM
I think Tice is a great coach, he motivates the players, and he has also done an excellent job in the drafts so far from what I have seen.

TEXPACK
07-29-2004, 12:37 AM
I realize my voice is not necessarily appreciated on this topic.....BUT, Tice is doing a decent job and not a lot of big name coaches would want to coach for Big Red. Appreciate him for what he is.

Now, if I asked that same question I would have expected no less than 5-10 private e-mails calling me a variety of names and telling me I'm just trolling. (whatever the hell that is?)

Just so you know that was from one of your own.

Good Day Sirs!

triedandtruevikesfan
07-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Ahhhh Tex... I would go with about 20 emails! ;) jk... Believe it or not though not all Viking fans agree on everything... I do believe you missed the Daunte or Gus debate... I'm sure you would have loved that one!!

VKG4LFE
07-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I agree. Tice has done a fine job with what he was left over with! Granted we've had the offense, but the defense that was left to him was pourous!! I like Tice, he did/does a helluva job with the line and I think he has the respect of his players, i.e. Randy, Pep, Michael, etc.

RK.
07-29-2004, 01:09 AM
I hope he has matured as a coach. Lets face it he made some really bad play calls last year and the Vikes were not always ready to play when they hit the field. There were a few times that he didn't make the adjustments to his game plan in time and it cost us games. He has better personnel this year so I am really hopeful. But then I am hopeful at the beginning of every season starting in 1967 the year Bud Grant arrived. :cheers: I think this is going to be a great year for the Vikes. :thumbleft:

dan3ski
07-29-2004, 01:16 AM
If the Vikings do not make the playoffs this year I will do the same thing I did at the end of last year and scream for Tice's head on a silver plater. Last year his choice for a DC was terrible O'leary was not the man for the job. This year the Vikings have a true DC so there will be no excuse.

VKG4LFE
07-29-2004, 01:17 AM
I don't think it was O'leary's fault, but ok!!

hawaiianvike21
07-29-2004, 05:51 AM
If tice makes playoffs in which most likely he will since he has the talent and experience with the third time is a charm, he wont be fired even if we lose in the playoffs.

Now if we dont make the playoffs i dont expect tice to be back. No excuses nothing, hes gone and possibly ted cottrell could be the next head coach since reds a cheap ass. :lol:

Big C
07-29-2004, 11:11 AM
I think Tice is an excellent coach. He has done a phenomenal job over the last two years. The biggest contribution being getting Moss to mature as a leader. The Vikes will make the playoffs so Tice is safe. Just like a player needs time to mature, a coach needs time to mature. Over the last two years I have seen significant improvement.

Last year's slump had nothing to do with Tice. The defense broke down. Period. So basically, even if by some miracle we DON'T make the playoffs this season, I still say that we shouldn't fire Tice.

josdin00
07-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Big C, you beat me to my point, sort of.

I was wondering if Moss would have matured off the field if Tice wasn't there to help him on his way. I don't think so. Tice went out of his way to work with Randy, and we've all seen the payoff of that investment. That's one reason I'm a fan of Tice.

I also like his candor. He's open in interviews,a nd if there's something he's asked that he doesn't want to answer, he doesn't dance around the question. He just tells the reporter that he doesn't want to answer the question. That's very refreshing.

Mainly though, I like the fact that he came into a really bad situation, and has been improving the team into a unit that can get to the top and stay there. They've brought in talent on both sides of the ball, and they've done so in a way that means we won't have to do a salary cap purge every few years like some teams. I know that's no all Tice's doing, but it is a change in philosophies that happened when he became the coach, so I think he had something to do with it.

In any case, I think this all just rhetorical, because the Vikings will be in the playoffs. I'm confident of that.

purplepat
07-29-2004, 11:52 AM
If we lose to the four worst teams in the league again this year, I'll be calling for Tice's head personally. Or if we play conservatively against weak opponents when we clearly have superior talent. We can't let weak teams "hang around" where they have a chance to win by making one good play or have one good series. We have to force them into the kind of mistakes that poor teams make when they have to play "catch-up".

bigdogbovy
07-29-2004, 12:00 PM
I was skeptical about the Tice decision. However, I have come to like Coach Tice. Do I think He's a bill Parcells. No, or should I say Not yet. I beleive he has the potential and the know how to be an awesome coach. He certainly seems to be building the team well. The vikes look great. I agree that this is a pivotal year for tice, but I don;t see him getting canned outside of losing control of the team.

HarrisonB57
07-29-2004, 12:22 PM
I really don't think Coach will be fired. The players seem to like him, which is important. He seems to have an eye for talent (in drafts and free agents). He's done a great job rebuilding the team. I think the only problem has been inexperience. Not just him but with our O-coordinator Linehan too. Some of the calls last year were awful, especially when they decided to go conservative. I don't think his job is in any jeopardy.

cheesefree
07-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Myself, I would have fired Denny and named Billick head coach in `98.
But I think Tice might have what it takes to be a really good coach, and this is his year to prove it.

dan3ski
07-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Purplepat I must agree with you this team looks much better on paper than last years team and so should eat up the weaker teams. It really comes down to leadership on the field.

Big Daddy
07-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Tice has done an excellent job of rebuilding a D that was terrible, and at the same time kept the O at the top of the league. But he has made some bad game plans and decisions on gameday that have cost the team, but those will get better with experience.

Tice has done a good job of turning this team around and making it competitive again. Just be glad we are not Charger fans or Bengals fans, those teams have been terrible for a long time.

jiggyjack
07-29-2004, 03:49 PM
i like what tice has done with the team. i think hes worked hard to get the right people (players and coachs) on board with what he is given$$$. i wouldnt be surprised if red pulles the trigger if we dont have a decent season and win at least one post season game. so far i like the guy.

sdvikefan
07-29-2004, 05:27 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

I too am a big fan of Tice. However, I do believe that if we don't make the playoffs at least this year he will be fired. He had a 3 year plan... and he had a lot of rebuilding to do. I have said it a thousand times and I'll say it again. Our season and our games don't come down to one person... there are lots of things that led to our crash and burn last season... it can't all be blamed on Tice.

I agree...Tice made it clear his plan involved the Vikings getting to the playoffs after 3 years, and in doing so he tied his own fate to that plan. Expectations are very high for the Vikings this year. I do like Tice but I just don't see him staying around if the Vikings fail to make the playoffs.

SHOW-TIME
07-29-2004, 05:29 PM
if we dont make the playoffs he will definantly get fired but hes a good coach i think made some dumb calls last year but lets just see how good we are when the season starts

wv__viking__fan
07-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I like coach Tice. I think that he is doing a fine job. The players like him and that is half the battle right there. He is becoming more confident in his ability as he gains experience each year. I think that Tice will be a good coach for years to come, hopefully with the Vikings.

Deleted_User_2360
07-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I'll give Tice one more season....but only because we went to the same
college. This team should crush the NFC North and walk into the playoffs.
No excuses this year. We don't make the playoffs and Tice should go.
I sure hope Daunte does a 180 with his leadership on the field. He's another one that should go if he flops this season. Too much talent on this team to lay another egg!

so-cal vike
07-29-2004, 10:17 PM
First of all to SKOL, thanks for the welcome. To all those who replied, I understand that it is only the start of training camp however, it is a valid question since early in the season all eyes are on the coaches and how they have developed their personnel. Tice a "gutsy" playcaller? Maybe, but let us not forget that many of his "gutsy" calls came as a result of the overwhelming disapproval of his first calls from the Metrodome fans. Anyways, I never meant to insult any of the loyal fans of the team or any fans of Coach Tice. Since I found this forum, it gives me a chance to ask other fans the questions that I've had and to voice some of my opinions regarding one of the greatest NFL franchises in history. I am for now, behind Coach Tice 100%. Thanks for the responses and SKOL VIKINGS!

hawaiianvike21
07-29-2004, 11:11 PM
"buck" wrote:

I'll give Tice one more season....but only because we went to the same
college. This team should crush the NFC North and walk into the playoffs.
No excuses this year. We don't make the playoffs and Tice should go.
I sure hope Daunte does a 180 with his leadership on the field. He's another one that should go if he flops this season. Too much talent on this team to lay another egg!

Daunte didnt flop this season and i dont see why he will have a bad season this year. Even if he did there is no way he will be gone with the 10 year contract he is under.

Just dont turn this into another daunte bashing thread, i think we all know how that ends up.

AngloVike
07-29-2004, 11:27 PM
"so-cal vike" wrote:

First of all to SKOL, thanks for the welcome. To all those who replied, I understand that it is only the start of training camp however, it is a valid question since early in the season all eyes are on the coaches and how they have developed their personnel. Tice a "gutsy" playcaller? Maybe, but let us not forget that many of his "gutsy" calls came as a result of the overwhelming disapproval of his first calls from the Metrodome fans. Anyways, I never meant to insult any of the loyal fans of the team or any fans of Coach Tice. Since I found this forum, it gives me a chance to ask other fans the questions that I've had and to voice some of my opinions regarding one of the greatest NFL franchises in history. I am for now, behind Coach Tice 100%. Thanks for the responses and SKOL VIKINGS!

Don't worry so-cal you haven't insulted anyone here. I know what you mean about Tice and his playcalling, in fact there's an article published in the Strib today where he admits that he was unduly influenced over some of his playcalling last year. Hopefully he's learnt some valuable lessons from that which will help this year - of course if he hasn't then his job could well be in jepoardy. It will be an interesting season for sure

TEXPACK
07-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Tice is percieved as a "Dolt" by many in the media and around the NFL. I don't know if this is a fair characterization of him, I would say not.

I believe he may be the lowest paid head coach in the NFL. I understand that Red McCombs will not address his contract situaton until after this years superbowl in 2005.

I think he's playing with the deck stacked against him. Just out of my own interest, I want to know who the Viking's fans wish coached in Minnesota? (of the current coaching talent available)

muchluv4smoot
07-30-2004, 01:17 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

Tice is percieved as a "Dolt" by many in the media and around the NFL. I don't know if this is a fair characterization of him, I would say not.

I believe he may be the lowest paid head coach in the NFL. I understand that Red McCombs will not address his contract situaton until after this years superbowl in 2005.

I think he's playing with the deck stacked against him. Just out of my own interest, I want to know who the Viking's fans wish coached in Minnesota? (of the current coaching talent available)

If tice does leave, then I would love to see ted cottrell get a shot at being a head coach. He has a lot of respect from players and coaches, around the league. He will eventually become a head coach, so why not with the vikes? I am sure if tice goes, ted will be the guy red hires, unless we loose ted to someone else before this could happen.

casper
07-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Even if we have a halfway great year, there would be alot of reasons for even Red to not let Tice go. it maybe more up to TICE to stay lets not forget. under his teniture ok they haven't taken the SB but they are on track, we realy should let the season get moven before we start looking in other directions...Tice has put things in motion lets see how it come out...deep down we can hope but on the field is where it counts i think he will stay...and for good reasons...we will see.

RK.
07-30-2004, 02:52 PM
I wish things had worked out so that Tony Dungee could have replaced Green. Dungee is a great coach and what the Bucs did to him was a real shame. :-k He is the reason the Colts are a contender.

vikesgirl
07-30-2004, 03:19 PM
I think he has done a good job considering what he was left with as far as the D goes. I certainly think he has the players respect which is something that Denny Greene clearly did not have.

The team has improved and there have been realtively few public arguments and no sideline temper tantrums. I say we wait and see, but I truly believe that this may be the year that they really surpise everyone (except for VIKES fans) and get to the Superbowl.

What a great day that would be! I have been waiting 33 years to see them win.

TEXPACK
07-30-2004, 03:21 PM
No one would be more surprised than me.

vikesgirl
07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I really hate Cheeseheads.

TEXPACK
07-30-2004, 03:25 PM
One great thing about cheese: it can be an acquired taste but, the more you eat it the more you'll like it.

VKG4LFE
07-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Cheese is good, that's about all that's good about Wisconny though!!

vikesgirl
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't like Cheese and I don't eat cheese. I am allergic to it.

vegasvike
07-30-2004, 05:08 PM
[quote="TEXPACK"]I realize my voice is not necessarily appreciated on this topic.....BUT, Tice is doing a decent job and not a lot of big name coaches would want to coach for Big Red. Appreciate him for what he is.

Yo tex even though you cheer the packers man you rank up there with los. not too many peeps would say that about a rival teams coach(I hate holmgren,rhodes, and sherman) But Tice is doin his job in 2001 we were 5-11 in 02 we were 6-10 last year we were 9-7 we keep IMPROVING lets stand behind our team that means the players as well as the coach :naka:

so-cal vike
07-30-2004, 08:36 PM
"TEXPACK" wrote:

One great thing about cheese: it can be an acquired taste but, the more you eat it the more you'll like it.

Unless the type of cheese you eat is "fromunda." One bad thing about cheese: after a day in the sun, it gets crusty and moldy.

whackthepack
07-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Red went with Tice cause he is cheap! Tice probably wasn't ready to be a head coach, but he has improved in the last 2 years. The players and his staff (from being around the Minneapolis area) truly seem to like and want to play for him, but I don't think he is a push over like Burnsie was.
He speaks his mind and that has gotten him into some trouble, but I like! :thumbleft: :thumbright:

Red do us a favor and sign him to a new contract, otherwise we get somebody cast-off at the end of the year, like Wanstadt (?). :pukeright:

Viking_Spirit
07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Plain and simple-If Tice makes the playoffs this year, he stays. If he dosen't, he goes.

Prophet
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
My guess is they just won't renew his contract after the 2005 season.

Odin VAVikefan
01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
I tend to agree with Prophet on this topic...

BadlandsVikings
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't want him to be fired, I couldn't imagine anyone else coaching the team.

Prophet
01-24-2007, 11:43 PM
If they fire Tice who knows who they'll hire.
They could hire some bald fucker from the east coast that everyone will love and then hate after the first year.
Tough call.
I'm still saying that Tice won't have his contract renewed after the 2005 season and we'll be looking for a new HC.

Deronn
01-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Fire Tice
lol
What, are you on CRACK???
Next thing your gonna suggest is that we trade Moss to the Raiders and cut Daunte.

Some people on this board are such morons!

Prophet
01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I agree.
That's insane.
Next thing you'll see is some idiot suggesting that we trade away picks so we can pick up a 1AA QB in the second round.
The suggestions on this site are ludicrous.

Del Rio
01-25-2007, 08:35 AM
"If tice does leave, then I would love to see ted cottrell get a shot at being a head coach. He has a lot of respect from players and coaches, around the league. He will eventually become a head coach, so why not with the vikes?"

L'ing MFAO!

whackthepack
01-25-2007, 09:35 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Red went with Tice cause he is cheap!
Tice probably wasn't ready to be a head coach, but he has improved in the last 2 years.
The players and his staff (from being around the Minneapolis area) truly seem to like and want to play for him, but I don't think he is a push over like Burnsie was.
He speaks his mind and that has gotten him into some trouble, but I like! :thumbleft:
:thumbright:

Red do us a favor and sign him to a new contract, otherwise we get somebody cast-off at the end of the year, like Wanstadt (?). :pukeright:

I stand by what I wrote earlier in this thread give him the new contract already!

gr8vike
01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I think we should keep Tice! I dont know I just have a feeling we will have a bad year in 2006 if he isnt retained.

Zeus
01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

I agree.
That's insane.
Next thing you'll see is some idiot suggesting that we trade away picks so we can pick up a 1AA QB in the second round.
The suggestions on this site are ludicrous.

I just hope that Red steps up and gets the defense a TRUE shut-down corner.
From what I understand, Fred Smoot is going to be on the market!!!

=Z=