PDA

View Full Version : Brian Williams

minvikes01
03-31-2006, 04:13 AM
I think we should've kept brian williams, he showed that he was as good if not better than smoot last year.

muchluv4smoot
03-31-2006, 04:18 AM
"minvikes01" wrote:

I think we should've kept brian williams, he showed that he was as good if not better than smoot last year.

He showed he was as good, if not better then an injured smoot.

Smoot's been to the pro bowl and played at a very high level for a handful of years in the NFL, so I wouldn't count him out for one bad injury plagued year.

I don't see a huge difference in the 2 personally. Williams was a better and more physical tackler, and Smoot(again when healthy) is a better cover corner.

I wouldn't have paid Williams what jacksonville did though.

minvikes01
03-31-2006, 04:19 AM
how much did they end up paying him?

PurplePride80
03-31-2006, 04:24 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"minvikes01" wrote:

He showed he was as good, if not better then an injured smoot.

Smoot's been to the pro bowl and played at a very high level for a handful of years in the NFL, so I wouldn't count him out for one bad injury plagued year.

I don't see a huge difference in the 2 personally. Williams was a better and more physical tackler, and Smoot(again when healthy) is a better cover corner.

I wouldn't have paid Williams what jacksonville did though.

EXACTLY, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I wish we would have kept Brian Williams, but not for the Jaguars payed him.

The Jaguars have made their first splash in the free agent pool by signing ex-Viking corner back, Brian Williams. OK, maybe it’s not a splash, more like a ripple, but they are paying Williams big time free agent money. The deal has been reported to be 6 years and $32 million with a $10 million signing bonus. Williams should fill a hole at the right corner back position playing opposite standout corner and 2003 second round pick, Rashean Mathis.

Brian Williams is only 26 years old and is coming off a season where he had four interceptions, 30 passes defended and 35 tackles in 14 games. Williams has great ball skills and should get many chances for interceptions playing opposite Mathis, and behind the great Jaguars pass rush. It is believed that one of the main reasons Williams decided to come to Jacksonville was his affiliation with ex-Viking head coach, Mike Tice.

It is not yet known how the contract is structured, but it should still leave plenty of cash for the Jags to continue shopping in this somewhat barren, free agent market. What was believed to be the Jaguars main free agent target, Le Charles Bentley has already signed with the Cleveland Browns earlier this morning.

By Charlie Bernstein

muchluv4smoot
03-31-2006, 04:25 AM
"minvikes01" wrote:

how much did they end up paying him?

$32 million for 6 years with $10 million guaranteed.

mnvikes61
03-31-2006, 04:28 AM
I would have liked to keep him. In the end though he pretty much made it clear that he didn't want to be a Viking anymore and I'm glad we didn't try and keep him for that amount of money.

VikemanX84
03-31-2006, 04:32 AM
They gave him basically what we gave Smoot. It was 6 years 34 million with a 10 million signing bonus, if I remember correctly.

Hell yes we should have kept him. We gave up a really solid cornerback and have replaced him with absolutely no one. Yet another part of our horrendous off-season thus far. Maybe they are willing to give Devonte Edwards the very important Nickel roll because he made a good play against Green Bay. Or maybe they are going to attempt to fill that void with a rookie, I don't know.

Hopefully Smoot learned a lot from last year. I mean opposing WRs sure did take him to school quite often.

minvikes01
03-31-2006, 04:39 AM
yeah, the bengals game comes to mind

michaelmazid
03-31-2006, 04:41 AM
forget Brian Williams.

The biggest steal of this free agency was Andre Dyson who just signed a 5 year 11 million contract. We should have went after him. He is a lot better than Fred Smoot and Brian Williams and they make about 5 million a year.

olson_10
03-31-2006, 04:46 AM
shouldve gone for dyson..5 years 11 mil..wow, what a steal..thats unbelievable

i_bleed_purple
03-31-2006, 05:27 AM
I really wish we kept Williams, we need someone who can cover the slot, or TE or RB, and Williams is great at that.

I just had to bring this uphttp://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11558

i started that when i first joined the site, and everyone was bashing him, now iits "i wish he would have stayed".

funny how things change.

LL-MMan
03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
Williams is not worth that kind of money.. PERIOD!

and he didn't want to be here.

mystykoekaki
03-31-2006, 06:01 AM
B Will was a good riddance.

Texas_Viking
03-31-2006, 06:27 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

forget Brian Williams.

The biggest steal of this free agency was Andre Dyson who just signed a 5 year 11 million contract. We should have went after him. He is a lot better than Fred Smoot and Brian Williams and they make about 5 million a year.

RIGHT ON!

MensaTice
03-31-2006, 06:33 AM
I liked Brian W but it just would not have made sense at all to throw that kind of cash at him. I have no hard feelings and he did well for us but it was a good decision by the team

whackthepack
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
I do not think that the Vikings had a choice in the matter, he wanted out of Minnesota and did not want to play here.

Wiggles67
03-31-2006, 07:25 PM
it would have been nice to keep him but not nearly for as much money as he got paid....that is just craziness

outcast316
03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Williams was a decent corner but come on that contract stinks of Tice meaning thats something he would want to happen. EH but it is what it is.

PackSux!
04-01-2006, 12:38 AM
We didnt need him so we let him go without even thinking twice. That is why we dropped the transition tag off of him.

Slade
04-01-2006, 12:50 AM
I agree, too much $$$ for a nickel corner & backup. We don't need him for our new cover 2. I think we will grow more & more impressed with Devonte Edwards. The boy has raw skillz!!

PackSux!
04-01-2006, 03:30 AM
"Slade" wrote:

I agree, too much $$$ for a nickel corner & backup. We don't need him for our new cover 2. I think we will grow more & more impressed with Devonte Edwards. The boy has raw skillz!!

Right on! Glad somebody sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

VikesfaninWis
04-01-2006, 04:18 AM
No.. Smoot was playing in a new defense, and was injured.. He will regain his probowl days this year.. The Jaguars way over payed him. He is good, but not that good. Winfield, Smoot, Williams, Sharper, we are looking pretty dam good in the secondary..

Jeremy
04-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Smoot didn't actually make the Pro Bowl he was an alternate.

Williams should have taken his job away the way he played last year. Vikes could have kept Willaims for a year and tried to develop someone in the draft to replace him. They dropped the tag on him and let him go.