03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Here are some great photo's from 1961 through 2005

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/minnesota/vikingspics.html

maxinator11
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Good pics man, really luved em'.

LongtimeVikesfan
03-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I've been following the Vikings for a long time. It brings back some great old memories

raginghelga914
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
That was a great site to see. And yes, it was a great walk down memory lane. ( I actually forgot how lean the 80's were for the team) God love'm anyway.

hailtocarter
03-30-2006, 12:18 PM
you could build a pretty sweet team with all those guys! Man that reminded me how much I loved A.C.!

raginghelga914
03-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Iknow wasn't he awesome. We had so much talent with wide receivers and our defense was great with Browner and the Boys

singersp
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanx for sharing.

The only ones pictured that I don't remember getting to watch play, is Hugh McElhenny & Paul Flately.

Prophet
03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the pics, enjoyed them.

sleepagent
03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Some great pictures and look at you, brand new member and already sent in a few bucks to help the site. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Del Rio
03-30-2006, 03:05 PM
This is my all time favorite Vikings picture.

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news16/vikepack1292.l.jpg

twiztedfait
03-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Awsome Seing that reminded me that I have a matt Blair autographed photo. I won it because I aced a D.A.R.E test in 6th grade before we even took the class. He spoke at the graduation and i believe most of the local news stations were there.

Thanks for the link and now I need to find that photo and get a frame for it.

ChezPizmo
03-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Wow. Yeah, great pictures! Nice find.

NodakPaul
03-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Awesome pictures. I love the one of the old met:
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/minnesota/MetMin.JPG
Everybody talks about the Met with fond memories (even me)... but man I forgot how much those seats and sightlines sucked for football! Look at how far away from the field you were in some of those seats (If you aren't familiar with the old met, if I'm not mistaken this pic was taken from behind "first base".

The Old Met was great for baseball and sucked for football. The Metrodome is great for football and sucks for baseball. Hmmm, now why do we want a new stadium for both the Vikings and the Twins? :grin:

whackthepack
03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Thanx for sharing.

The only ones pictured that I don't remember getting to watch play, is Hugh McElhenny & Paul Flately.

These guys were before my time, but I have read about both of them.

Paul Faltely was a receiver for the Vikes, he was a good player and made the probowl once, If I remember right he played for the Vikes for 5 years and then went to Atlanta for a few years.

McElhenny was before my time, but he was a star in the NFL for a lot of years. He came to the Vikes their 1st year but was only here for 2 seasons.

Here is an article about him.

Hugh McElhenny was to pro football in the 1950s and early 1960s what Elvis Presley was to rock and roll. Known as “The King” (McElhenny that is), he had it all. He was an artist whose electrifying moves left opponents and observers spellbound.

McElhenny, a University of Washington All-America halfback, began his football career by rewriting the Pacific Coast Conference’s record book. A first-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 1952, Hugh made an immediate impression as a rookie leaving sportswriters groping for new superlatives to describe his exciting style of play. He recorded the season’s longest run from scrimmage (89 yards), the longest punt return (94 yards), and the top rushing average (7.0 yards per carry). Not surprisingly, he was a unanimous choice for the league’s Rookie of the Year honors.

Considered the greatest “thrill runner” of his day, McElhenny ran with a tremendously long stride and high knee action. His breakaway speed and unique ability to change direction at will left defenders dazed and confused.

In 1961, after nine seasons and five Pro Bowl appearances, McElhenny joined the expansion Minnesota Vikings. It was, all things considered, his finest season. With the Vikings he accounted for 1,069 combined yards and made his sixth trip to the Pro Bowl.

Two years later, as a member of the New York Giants, McElhenny realized a dream that had escaped him – playing on a championship team. Although Hugh’s knees were already shot, Giants coach Allie Sherman knew he would give the team “his very best,” something he did automatically his entire 13-year career.

When he retired after the 1964 season, McElhenny was one of only three players to have gained more than 11,000 all-purpose yards. Altogether, on rushing, receiving, kickoff returns, punt returns, and fumble returns, he totaled 11,375 yards — or more than six miles.

mr.woo
03-30-2006, 04:51 PM
reminded ME of how much i loved the days of a brusing runningback and a terrorizig defense in a windy cold outdoor stadium.

Prophet
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
It was fun to read through the historical moments (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/minnesota/vikings.html) section on the Vikings.

Turboe
03-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Anyone know where the best place is to get good 8x10 or 11x14 (or maybe even larger) photos from Vikings days gone by? I am framing some (that I got on Ebay), but just want to be able to pick out some more possibly for finishing my sports room downstairs when I complete it over the coming months.

Thanks, I am sure there is somewhere that specializes in that kind of thing.

PurplePride80
03-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks, for posting these pictures.

cajunvike
03-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Sean Salisbury...LOL!!!

They also misspelled Daunte...but they did get Cris Carter's right!

They also need to update several players' ending date ranges (that we traded or cut this year) from "Present" to "2006".

Other than that...great find...good to go down memory lane with some of the all-time greats!!!

Slade
03-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, these are great! But there is no Jack Del Rio or Scott Studwell :scratch:

midgensa
03-30-2006, 11:16 PM
A pretty interesting page ... thanks for the post and the trip back through heartbreak history :lol:

PurplePumpkin
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Wow great stuff!

LongtimeVikesfan
03-31-2006, 01:41 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

Some great pictures and look at you, brand new member and already sent in a few bucks to help the site. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

This is a great site for old and new Viking fans.

I didn't mind donating a little money. I can't imagine webby kicking in all his own money.

This is the best place for all the latest scoops on the brand new vikes.

Gift
03-31-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry but Wade Wilson, EJ Henderson, Nate Burleson & Marcus Robinson are not what I'ld call viking legends. Yeah and no Del Rio WTF!?

Neat site tho

mnvikes61
03-31-2006, 02:38 AM
"Gift" wrote:

I'm sorry but Wade Wilson, EJ Henderson, Nate Burleson & Marcus Robinson are not what I'ld call viking legends. Yeah and no Del Rio WTF!?

Neat site tho
Completely agree. Same with Salisbury. I was all WTF when I saw him on there.

norseforce
03-31-2006, 03:02 AM
thanks , those are some pretty cool shots,it's always great to see the old outdoor stadium, let's take it back outside! NO MORE ROOF.

MensaTice
03-31-2006, 03:10 AM
Great pics. Jeff Siemon looks exactly the same today. I enjoyed looking at those pics but I could have done without this one
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/minnesota/HwalkerMIn.jpg

mnvikes61
03-31-2006, 03:11 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

Great pics. Jeff Siemon looks exactly the same today. I enjoyed looking at those pics but I could have done without this one
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/minnesota/HwalkerMIn.jpg
Yup he's a legend in Vikings lore for all the wrong reasons :sad:

magicci
03-31-2006, 05:32 AM
they also messed up on marcus robinson they put 2003 but he came to us in 2004

VikingMike
04-01-2006, 03:37 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Sean Salisbury...LOL!!!

They also misspelled Daunte...but they did get Cris Carter's right!

They also need to update several players' ending date ranges (that we traded or cut this year) from "Present" to "2006".

Other than that...great find...good to go down memory lane with some of the all-time greats!!!

They also misspelled ALLAN Page, for crying out loud. But some great memories...Ron Yary was an awesome tackle! And Mick should be in the Hall. They left out the Wright Brothers too. And Kark Kassulke should get honorable mention.