PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Sports Weekly

whackthepack
03-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Picked up the USA Today Sports Weekly March 29th to April 4th edition today. Has a good article on Koren Robinson and his fight back from alcoholism. It makes it sound like he has really turned his life around and has a new outlook on life and football.

Worth reading, but I couldn't find it on line to post a link.

Also in the Vikings team section they had an interesting thing (maybe I have missed this).

RB Joe Echema (formerly known as Adimchinobi Echemandu)

Did he change his name? Has anybody else heard anything about this?

NodakPaul
03-29-2006, 06:28 PM
I think they have it backwards. Joe Echema was his birth name. From another site:

Adimchinobe Echemandu: Most fans don't know much about Echemandu other than the fact that he looked pretty good in training camp and pre-season last year. Cal fans may know a little more about him, although he went by the name Joe Echema while he was there and missed his final two seasons due to academic ineligibility in 2001 and a torn ACL in 2002. His first two years at Cal were moderately impressive and saw him move to the forefront of the starting tailback job as well as kick returning duties. Echema ranked third in the Pac-10 as sophomore in 2000 with an average of 23.5 yards per return and began to make a name for himself before failing to make the grade.

Clearly the Vikings see something in Echemandu because they wouldn't have dedicated a roster spot to him if they didn't. If Adimchinobe shows the same promise this year during training camp and pre-season, perhaps he will earn more than just a practice squad spot.

whackthepack
03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I had seen nothing on it and was surprised by it. Wondering if maybe he decided to return his original name? It could be that USA just has it backwards.

I just went on NFL.com and they have him now listed as Joe Echema, when you click to go to his bio he comes up as Echemandu (which I know is how they had him listed before).

He might have retaken his old name.

damien927
03-29-2006, 07:26 PM
did he switch it for religous reasons or just so people could say it?

cajunvike
03-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I think that he just didn't want to be confused with the OTHER Adimchinobe Echemandu!

:razz:

Gift
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I think that he just didn't want to be confused with the OTHER Adimchinobe Echemandu!

:razz:lol :lol:

DaunteHOF
03-30-2006, 01:50 AM
if you cant post a link, whats the point?

michiganvike
03-30-2006, 02:09 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

hahahahahahaahahahahaha
i think i would like him to play mainly because of his sweet name.
:razz:

singersp
03-30-2006, 02:47 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I think they have it backwards. Joe Echema was his birth name. From another site:

"PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: RB Joe Echema (formerly Adimchinobi Echemandu); S Willie Offord; WR Koren Robinson."

USA Today: Inside Slant (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/home.htm)

The Vikings.com site lists him as Joe Echemandu on the roster.

Vikings Roster (http://www.vikings.com/players_listing.html)

whackthepack
03-30-2006, 05:30 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

To let people know that there was a good article in the USA Sports weekly about Koren and to ask people if they knew anything about the name change.

Not every post has to be about you writing that you want to draft Vince Young for the 300th time, or that the front office wronged Daunte and none of it was his fault for the 250th time.

singersp
03-30-2006, 05:36 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

To let people know that there was a good article in the USA Sports weekly about Koren and to ask people if they knew anything about the name change.

Not every post has to be about you writing that you want to draft Vince Young for the 300th time, or that the front office wronged Daunte and non of it was his fault for the 250th time.

Whack. When I read the latest entries in this thread, I thought it was about Adimchinobe Echemandu.

I didn't see the reference to K-Rob in your title or your 1st post.

I think the article your refering to might be the "NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson" I just posted.

It just came out about 2 hours ago.

olson_10
03-30-2006, 05:38 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Adimchinobe Echemandu: Most fans don't know much about Echemandu other than the fact that he looked pretty good in training camp and pre-season last year. Cal fans may know a little more about him, although he went by the name Joe Echema while he was there and missed his final two seasons due to academic ineligibility in 2001 and a torn ACL in 2002. His first two years at Cal were moderately impressive and saw him move to the forefront of the starting tailback job as well as kick returning duties. Echema ranked third in the Pac-10 as sophomore in 2000 with an average of 23.5 yards per return and began to make a name for himself before failing to make the grade.

Clearly the Vikings see something in Echemandu because they wouldn't have dedicated a roster spot to him if they didn't. If Adimchinobe shows the same promise this year during training camp and pre-season, perhaps he will earn more than just a practice squad spot.
il just call him "practice squad scrub" until he does anything useful

whackthepack
03-30-2006, 05:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Not every post has to be about you writing that you want to draft Vince Young for the 300th time, or that the front office wronged Daunte and non of it was his fault for the 250th time.

Whack. When I read the latest entries in this thread, I thought it was about Adimchinobe Echemandu.

I didn't see the reference to K-Rob in your title or your 1st post.

I think the article your refering to might be the "NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson" I just posted.

It just came out about 2 hours ago.

It is the same article, I picked up at a newsstand this morning. I tried to find it at USA Today's web-site, but apparently it wasn't posted tell later on.

ejmat
03-30-2006, 05:50 AM
Joe's a lot easier than Adimchinobi. I will call him just plain Joe.

Hooversham
03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I think he should go with Adimchinobe-Wan Kenobi.

He could come out of the tunnel wearing a brown gunny sack with a hood.

Top_Speed
03-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Why not just Adim Ech?