View Full Version : Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

singersp
03-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 29, 2006

Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

Vikings owner says all-pro guard's deal is within the rules

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf arrived at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla., on Tuesday afternoon and rushed to the defense of his biggest free-agent signing.

Some NFL owners and team executives have been critical of the way the Vikings pried all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson loose from Seattle with a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet that contained a so-called "poison-pill" clause that would have forced the Seahawks to guarantee the entire contract if they matched.

In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.

"I think Rob Brzezinski did a wonderful job," Wilf said in a telephone interview. "I think what we had proposed was fair. (Hutchinson) was a transition player. I'm sure if the Seahawks wanted to they could have done something different, maybe made him a franchise player, but that's not how it turned out. I think their reaction to us coming back is a much more convoluted way of putting a poison pill together, but that was their reaction."

The Seahawks retaliated for the Hutchinson signing with a deliberately similar seven-year, $49 million offer sheet to Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent, that includes two poison-pill clauses that would effectively force Minnesota to guarantee his contract if it decides to match.

Wilf had no comment on what the chances of that might be or whether the Vikings will decide before Friday's deadline, referring those questions to Brzezinski, who did not respond to an interview request.

Wilf also said he had no plans to discuss the Seahawks-Vikings feud with Seattle owner Paul Allen, adding, "This probably could have been all avoided if they just put the franchise tag on (Hutchinson), from what I understand."

As for adding the three-time Pro Bowl selection to the Vikings' roster …

"We're very happy to have him on our team," Wilf said. "I think it is essential in our coaches' game plan to have a strong line on defense and offense. Just his character and his determination will pull everyone up to a higher level."

Hutchinson is the biggest name in a large crop of incoming free agents for the Vikings, who have signed 10 players and could add a couple more before they are finished.

Wilf, in his first offseason as team owner, said he has been pleased by the way coach Brad Childress, Brzezinski and vice president of player personnel Fran Foley have worked together to improve the talent.

"We had a great free agency to help build on the nucleus of great players that we have," Wilf said. "We'll be well positioned coming out of the draft to field what I would consider a very competitive team."

The NFL apparently agrees, having tabbed the Vikings to open the season at Washington on Sept. 11 as the first half of a Monday night doubleheader on ESPN.

The Vikings will have a different look for that game, with the team expected to unveil new uniforms shortly, but Wilf promised the changes will be nothing major.

"I can say this: We're still the purple and gold," he said. "I don't think the changes take away from our traditional standards. I'll leave it up to the fans, but this is something we feel will give us a little more excitement."

Briefly: ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Vikings will wait until Friday's deadline before announcing their decision on the Burleson offer sheet and that "the general feeling is" they will not match.

• Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

Wilf defends Hutchinson signing (http://www.realcities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14212906.htm?source=rss&channel=twincities_football)

Del Rio
03-29-2006, 01:13 PM
• Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

Well there you have I guess. All those people who were saying we would probably keep it just upgrade were right on the money!

Lotza
03-29-2006, 01:16 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Well there you have I guess. All those people who were saying we would probably keep it just upgrade were right on the money!im down w/ dat.

Prophet
03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
The horn stays. That should make some rest easy. The lines getting shored up, check. Everything is on schedule.

Prophet
03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Contract update: Hutchinson
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:02:50 -0800

Minnesota Vikings OG Steve Hutchinson signed a seven-year contract with base salaries of $585,000 (2006), $2.035 million (2007), $4.45 million (2008), $5.45 million (2009), $6.55 million (2010), $6.68 million (2011), and $6.95 million (2012).

VikesFan4Life
03-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Good thing that the horn is staying, Wilf understands and appreciates NFL tradition. Just hope the uniforms aren't god-awful ugly. Maybe they didn't change them that much.

Json
03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14212906.htm

This has most likely been posted but I have not seen it so please don't chew me out if it has. Thanks!

Del Rio
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
"Json" wrote:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14212906.htm

This has most likely been posted but I have not seen it so please don't chew me out if it has. Thanks!

It has been posted, 1st page of the Vikings forum.

Not gonna chew you out though just merge it.

cajunvike
03-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Too bad he didn't put REAL horns on the helmets...now THAT would have been three-dimensional!!! :lol:

Gift
03-29-2006, 06:57 PM
In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.
I am a huge wilf fan but thats a load of crap.

Prophet
03-29-2006, 07:02 PM
"Gift" wrote:

So you're not a fan of Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski? I think he's my favorite person in the franchise right now.

Muggsy
03-29-2006, 07:05 PM

WHEW!!! DA HORNS ARE STAYIN'!!!

Now, I can rest a little easier, y'know?

As far as da 'poison pill' concept, da more I tinks about it, da more I'm kinda sorry we did what we did ta get Hutch, y'know? Yeah, I know, we got a great guard, and all's fair in love and war and football, but, puttin' da shoe on da udda foot, I would be p.o.'d if someone had done dis to us, y'know? I believe's in bein' on da up and up on how ya does business, y'know? And, I just would feel bedda about dis if we had gotten him wit'out da poison pill bs, y'know? Dis is gonna make da Vikes look like a shady organism, and you know me, I never would tink of bein' shady myself, y'know?

Gift
03-29-2006, 07:07 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

So you're not a fan of Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski? I think he's my favorite person in the franchise right now.I'm glad we have hutch & I'm glad we have guys that will do what it takes to get the people we want. But saying we were within the "spirit of the rule" is just lying.

Prophet
03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
"Gift" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

So you're not a fan of Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski? I think he's my favorite person in the franchise right now.I'm glad we have hutch & I'm glad we have guys that will do what it takes to get the people we want. But saying we were within the "spirit of the rule" is just lying.

Welcome to the world of loopholes and talking in circles. A lot of us have a feeling of what is right and wrong, but as long as lawyers and legal jargon are the way to get things done there will always be loopholes being persued.

Some people affected by Hurricane Katrina are being told by insurance companies that the damage was done by wind if they had flood insurance or the damage was done by water if they had wind insurance. Fun world we live in. We can only play by the rules that they give us and in this case our guy outsmarted the Seachickens. Victory.

VikesfaninWis
03-29-2006, 07:41 PM
The way I look at it is this, if it were against the rules, it would never have been approved.. We got Hutch fair and square.. He is a Viking because our front office is smart, and knows how to get a deal done..

As far as the new uni's go, I think it will be awesome to have some change to the uniforms. The three dimensional look on the helmet will be sweet. I just hope that they add some excitement to the pants, and jerseys..

JellyBean2144
03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I can deal with the uniform change, just as long as it's not too gaudy; like that crap the Bengals and Lions play in, dang!!

As far as Wilf needing to defend is signing of Hutchinson. The other owners are mad that they did not pull it off. I say, great move, Wilf.

WinonaVike
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Im excited to see wut they have in mind for the new uni's, although like it has been stated lets not get to flashy.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I like the simplistic approach to changing the uniforms.

DaunteHOF
03-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Wilf shouldnt have to explain himself, the hutchinson "poison pill" isnt against the rules so shut the fuck up

fourdoorchevelle
03-30-2006, 06:41 AM
well as far as poison pill......

if seattle was so conserned about signing hutch , then why not pay the man? why put any "tag" on him.

"geez .... i really don't want to pay you what your worth , so i'll make it a living hell to find work else where"

even the franchise tag doen't make it impossible to lose one of ur best players. so if some 1 wants them bad enough, then there is the chance that u could lose him. so quit denying the contract the players deserve and pay the man.

is any one suprised that the new cba is leaning to the players? wasn't it the nflpa contract that was accepted?

olson_10
03-30-2006, 07:02 AM
"Gift" wrote:

are you kidding? the rule applied to both teams when the vikings put the stipulations in for hutchs deal..that is very well within the spirit of the rules..the seahawks however had their stipulations apply to the vikings only

Gift
03-30-2006, 07:15 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

are you kidding? the rule applied to both teams when the vikings put the stipulations in for hutchs deal..that is very well within the spirit of the rules..the seahawks however had their stipulations apply to the vikings onlyNo I'm not kidding. I think and have always thought it was very shadey on our part. Yes it was technically within the rules, but it completely pisses on the "spirit of the rule" which is to allow seattle to match. I know exactly what people will say to that but regardless of how you want to agrue it, you know, I know & the Vikes knew seattle could never have matched that deal. Where I come from we call that "lawyer ball".

Wilf saying that Rob "did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rule" is not being honest, that is all I'm saying. The Vikes aren't perfect & I don't expect them to be, I can root for a team without thinking they are infallable.

olson_10
03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

are you kidding? the rule applied to both teams when the vikings put the stipulations in for hutchs deal..that is very well within the spirit of the rules..the seahawks however had their stipulations apply to the vikings onlyNo I'm not kidding. I think and have always thought it was very shadey on our part. Yes it was technically within the rules, but it completely pisses on the "spirit of the rule" which is to allow seattle to match. I know exactly what people will say to that but regardless of how you want to agrue it, you know, I know & the Vikes knew seattle could never have matched that deal. Where I come from we call that "lawyer ball".

Wilf saying that Rob "did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rule" is not being honest, that is all I'm saying. The Vikes aren't perfect & I don't expect them to be, I can root for a team without thinking they are infallable.
untrue..they couldve very well matched that deal considering how the guy is going to earn that much either way throughout his deal anyways with the caliber he plays at..they chose not to match it..if they did match it, they still wouldve had like 11 million dollars left of cap space..so im still kind of missing the part about us pissing on the spirit of the rules considering how the seahawks were still in perfect position to land julian peterson and nate burleson on top of retaining hutchinson

Gift
03-30-2006, 07:32 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

untrue..they couldve very well matched that deal considering how the guy is going to earn that much either way throughout his deal anyways with the caliber he plays at..they chose not to match it..if they did match it, they still wouldve had like 11 million dollars left of cap space..so im still kind of missing the part about us pissing on the spirit of the rules considering how the seahawks were still in perfect position to land julian peterson and nate burleson on top of retaining hutchinsonAm I wrong in that had they matched it, they would have had to pay him 47mil this year?

olson_10
03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
you have to factor in the fact that seattle matching the deal wouldve still given them loads of cap space this offseason..the pill also applied to both teams..seattles version however was put in place because they know we are low on space, and we would be all out of it after matching any deal for burleson..their pill only effects the vikings and not the seahawks..being the highest paid offensive lineman is a reasonable guarentee as hutch was simply looking for the respect he deserved from the seahawks..but to say "this player cannot play more than 5 games in the state of minnesota" is the most rediculous stipulation ever thrown into a contract in any sport

olson_10
03-30-2006, 07:36 AM
"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

untrue..they couldve very well matched that deal considering how the guy is going to earn that much either way throughout his deal anyways with the caliber he plays at..they chose not to match it..if they did match it, they still wouldve had like 11 million dollars left of cap space..so im still kind of missing the part about us pissing on the spirit of the rules considering how the seahawks were still in perfect position to land julian peterson and nate burleson on top of retaining hutchinsonAm I wrong in that had they matched it, they would have had to pay him 47mil this year?
yah man, they wouldve just had to give him his 49 mil over the 7 years..and his deal is backloaded which wouldve resulted in them taking a very small cap hit this season anyways

digital420
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
the no more then 5 games in Mn is a direct cut at the Vikings. If this was taken to arbitration I would bet that it's tossed out.

We really should do this.. force them to write a new p.pill that would stifle them as much as it would us. That's what our p.pill did.. it was open to whoever had him.. the reaction of the seagulls front office was cheasy.. and just show'd the lack of inspiration and intelligence their org has.

Rob was first.. watch for others to follow.

DiGiTaL..

whiteviking24
03-30-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm just hapy to hear the horns stay.

I'm game for them to have a 3-D look to them

Gift
03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Gift" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

yah man, they wouldve just had to give him his 49 mil over the 7 years..and his deal is backloaded which wouldve resulted in them taking a very small cap hit this season anywaysOk, so they would just have to guarantee his entire contract but not pay it all this season?

Martimus1972
03-30-2006, 11:35 PM
The issue wasn't (and isn't) the dollar amount in these contract's, it's the fact that with these poison pills the contracts become guaranteed. Essentially baseball contracts. Football contracts are all goofy cause they say "Culpepper got a 10 year 100 million dollar contract" or whatever, but you know he's never getting that whole amount. The Hawks would have been stupid, and the Vikings would be stupid, to guarantee that type of money to anyone.
As for Wilf, he's just sticking up for his man, and all this crap about "spirit of the rules" and "gentlemans agreements" is just that. If it's within the rules and you can get away with it, do whatever it takes to improve your team.

collegeguyjeff
03-31-2006, 01:35 AM
if seattle was so conserned about signing hutch , then why not pay the man? why put any "tag" on him.

well seattle didn't wanna pay alexander or hasselbeck as much as they should have gotten and it took a while to sign them. seattle is just cheap they don't wanna spend any money on their guys. now they are pulling a carl pohlad and spending money just cause they know how close they are to winning a superbowl, even though seattle isn't going to win.