PDA

View Full Version : Brock Lesnar signed ??

AngloVike
07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Its just been reported on KFAN that the Vikes have just signed Lesnar in time for Training Camp ..... if this is true then I'd like to know what Lesnar can bring to the team. I'll admit I'm not a wrestling fan but this does seem a stretch by the Vikes if this is true ...... surely we're not getting that desperate with Mixon suspended for two games ...

RK.
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Lesnar is a major athlete. He is about 280lbs and runs a 4.7 I understand, so he is quick. And I also hear he is a fast learner. I think we will see him on special teams as a wedge buster to begin with. And really important is he really wants to play for the Vikings. If he learns a position he could be a great addition next year or two.

muchluv4smoot
07-27-2004, 02:05 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

Its just been reported on KFAN that the Vikes have just signed Lesnar in time for Training Camp ..... if this is true then I'd like to know what Lesnar can bring to the team. I'll admit I'm not a wrestling fan but this does seem a stretch by the Vikes if this is true ...... surely we're not getting that desperate with Mixon suspended for two games ...

Where on kfan did you see this??

If the vikes were to sign him, they would need to cut someone first.

I heard that he was really learning quickly and not repeating the same mistakes twice from workout to workout. If this is true, then he must have really wowed us in his last workout. It was said that there wasn't much of a chance that we would release someone and sign him.

jackyl
07-27-2004, 02:07 PM
He's definitely a legit athlete. He's also a hot head and has made alot of enemies in locker rooms by running his mouth alot. He seems to be more of a cancer than a benefit to me.

muchluv4smoot
07-27-2004, 02:29 PM
OK, just found the article. For anyone who cares, the player that is said to probably be released is safety ben nauman. I have never heard of the guy, so I think it is a good move. This will make training camp and preseason even more interesting. He must really haved looked good in his latest workout with the vikes, or they weren't planning on changing their current roster.

VIKE58
07-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey if he can help the team I'm all for it :!: The dude is a monster :!: And real fast for his size. :thumbright:

muchluv4smoot
07-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Also, it is being reported that it will be a contract worth the rookie minimum, so I see absoluely no harm in this move, which is what I have been saying all offseason. It could turn out to be a great move.

jackyl
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
For rookie min $ I see no prob with it if he checks his attitude. Athletically his extremely gifted.

HarrisonB57
07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
I read that COach TIce made the decision after giving Lesnar a 45-minute workout this morning. I think it would be really cool if this guy can play.

jackyl
07-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Here's the only non wrestling / subscription press link I've found so far

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/9254635.htm

little redhead
07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
They have confirmed he will be signed after he passes a physical. He is signing to play the same position as Hovan plays so he will be signed as an under tackle. But just because we sign him it doesn't mean for sure at the end of training camp he will make the starting roster right. Dont we always have to put people on the practice squad and cut some people to make it under the maximum amount of players we are allowed to have on our roster so he will still have to prove some things in training camp to make the active roster so it should be interesting to see how he does.

josdin00
07-27-2004, 03:28 PM
"little redhead" wrote:

They have confirmed he will be signed after he passes a physical. He is signing to play the same position as Hovan plays so he will be signed as an under tackle. But just because we sign him it doesn't mean for sure at the end of training camp he will make the starting roster right. Dont we always have to put people on the practice squad and cut some people to make it under the maximum amount of players we are allowed to have on our roster so he will still have to prove some things in training camp to make the active roster so it should be interesting to see how he does.

I think it's highly unlikely that he'd make the game day roster. I think it's much more likely that he'll be assigned to the practice squad, where he could develop his fundamentals for a while. Then, he might have a chance of cracking the game day roster next year.

Does this mean we get to refer to the Vikings as "the next big thing"?

JoeMama
07-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Tice just said that Brock would be on the practice squad. Heard it on KFAN.

whackthepack
07-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Lesner will be a major project, but I know when he was at the U wrestling the man was a monster! :twisted: He scared the hell out of me and I was only watching.

Hope he can make the practice squad and develope into a player, if someteam like Greenbay doesn't nab him off the practice squad.

josdin00
07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Lesner will be a major project, but I know when he was at the U wrestling the man was a monster! :twisted: He scared the hell out of me and I was only watching.

Hope he can make the practice squad and develope into a player, if someteam like Greenbay doesn't nab him off the practice squad.

If a team signs a player off another team's practice squad, I believe that the player then has to be on the new team's active roster for the rest of the season. I don't think any team is going to be willing to give Brock a spot on the active roster this season.

magicci
07-27-2004, 06:01 PM
He would still be scary to go up against in speacial teams IMO

dart18
07-27-2004, 06:48 PM
i like the move, it creates more press for the camp days. I like him, he went to my school (U of MN) so i will cheer him on and hope he does well, he is a beast so i hope all works out for him.

bigdogbovy
07-27-2004, 06:48 PM
he's practive squad. we won't be seeing him outside of some spectacular play in practice. I would like to see him on ST tho. Open field tackling is tough tho

jackyl
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Here's a pic from the Strib

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/jackyl_c4/Pictures/lesnar.jpg

magicci
07-27-2004, 07:40 PM
jackyl are u a cowboys fan or a viking fan

jackyl
07-27-2004, 08:01 PM
"magicci" wrote:

jackyl are u a cowboys fan or a viking fan

Cowboys fan, but I represent some past Vikes so I have followed them since the early 90's as well. I root for them against everyone but Dallas.

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-27-2004, 08:05 PM
I think its a good move also. The only thing i have a problem with is if all the publicity gos to him and not the players that earned it. I remember reading a post a while ago about an interviewer interviewing hovan (he got 4 sacks that game) and he ask's him about lesnor and then he gets pissed and all of a sudden opur season gos down the drain because of so much arguing(this never really happend). its just an idea but its still a possibility... but i guess he's only gonna be on the practice squad. If he gets to develope and his attitude is lowered i think he has some potential.

cheesefree
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I have to give him credit for giving up guaranteed millions in WWE or WWF or whatever it is, to persue his NFL dream. :thumbleft:

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-27-2004, 08:55 PM
hmm good point... Agreed.

VKG4LFE
07-27-2004, 11:15 PM
jackyl are you a vikes fan or a cowboys fan? Just curious with your Korey Stringer picture and Dallas Cowboy logo!!
Lesnar may be a monster that is really quick, but his football skills are pretty subpar from what I've been hearing!! I'm not saying it was a good move or a bad move, but I don't think I'm going to get all hyped about him!!

VKG4LFE
07-27-2004, 11:16 PM
oops sorry jackyl and everyone else for not reading through all the posts before that last one!! My bad!!

jackyl
07-27-2004, 11:21 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

oops sorry jackyl and everyone else for not reading through all the posts before that last one!! My bad!!

:salute: Didn't mean to confuse everyone LOL :thumbright:

VKG4LFE
07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I think it's pretty respectful of you with that Korey picture and you're a boys fan!! I appreciate a fan like that!!

jackyl
07-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Korey was a cool guy, and a sad story. I have that pic in a desktop size if you're interested.

Jeff

so-cal vike
07-28-2004, 01:09 AM
The fact that Coach Tice would sign Brock after such a short workout shows us one of two things, either Tice has lost his mind completly and is willing to make a laughing stock of the Vikings in order show himself as some sort of football genius, or he (Tice) really saw some ability in Brock and was unwilling to let him go. Let us all hope it was the latter of the two. It's hard enough being a Viking fan here in So-Cal with all these Traitor (raider) fans. I don't need to defend this too.

TWISTED
07-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Your not losing anything by bringing him into training camp. You give him a shot, if he's lost out there.. you cut him. We'll see how he does against Mt. McKinley. Also, he could be the ultimate wedge buster.

dan3ski
07-28-2004, 02:01 AM
He must make the team first and there might be betting odd in Vagas as to if he will.

LosAngelis
07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
"cheesefree" wrote:

I have to give him credit for giving up guaranteed millions in WWE or WWF or whatever it is, to persue his NFL dream. :thumbleft:

Not quite the inspirational story of Pat Tillman, but interesting. I wasn't following this thread, and just read this morning you guys signed him

Lex Lugar used to be Larry Pfohl, a backup to the backup offensive linemen for the Packers. JYD (Junkyard Dog) used to be a Packer, too, but I never figured out who he was, so I figure he can't be that impressive of a name.

Glad you guys are being realistic about his chances. It's a neat curiosity and will get the Vikes a little more press then they would have gotten, and he has an outside chance of making the team, I suppose.

From my opinion, I see it as mutually beneficial PR. The Vikes get a little extra press, and perhaps more national coverage. If/when the experiment fails, Lesnar goes back to the WWE with celebration and fanfare and a little more street cred than he had before because he was actually a professional athlete.

whackthepack
07-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks Los

"Lex Lugar used to be Larry Pfohl, a backup to the backup offensive linemen for the Packers."

I did not know Lex Luger was Larry Pfohl, that is very interesting. I guess he had a better wresteling career, but I never would have made the connection.

purplepat
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Goldberg used to play for the Falcons.

VKG4LFE
07-28-2004, 12:12 PM
He did and the rock played for the niners I believe. Or maybe it was goldberg played for the niners and the rock only played college ball at Miami (fla)

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
yea im pretty sure the rock only played for miami. He then got an injury at the end of his senior year i think...

muchluv4smoot
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

He did and the rock played for the niners I believe. Or maybe it was goldberg played for the niners and the rock only played college ball at Miami (fla)

Correct me if I am wrong, since i don't watch wrestling too often, but I think I saw where goldberg was talking about brock and he said that brock wasn't the only wrestler looking to go to the NFL. I don't remember exactly what goldbergs words were, but he made it sound like he was thinking of going back into the NFL. Anyone else see that or hear if he is gonna come back too?

VKG4LFE
07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't watch wrestling either, but I do remember someone saying something like that, either the rock or goldberg!

josdin00
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yeah, the Rock only played in college. He wasn't drafted in the NFL draft, so he went to play in the CFL. I think he played fo Calgary, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, he never made it off the practice team, so he moved back to Miami, and started his wrestling career. Both his dad and his grandfather were wrestlers, so that's how he got started. Isn't it sad what you can find on E! late at night?

UTVikfan
07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
When the "Brock" threads started I hated it. I was like OMFG!!!!*rolls eyes* WWF/E, whatever..goes pro, help me, please. Errr, I mean, PLEASE!!! The guy from Min. that works at the local convience store was all excited, I was like, BLAH!!! But, Brock's physical skills, are not questioned. I looked at the numbers on Vikings.com or nfl.com, forget which, and was amazed. Hmmm, make that thinking, probably typo. Humans can't do that. That guy is an amazing human specimen. Does that impress me? No. What scares the holy bejeesus outta me, is the guys attitude. Have you all listened to his interview on Vikings.com? Someone with all the physical skills in the world, with that attitude? I am still kinda quesy, but betcha the boys who made that choice know what they were doing...... Well, at least I hope so. =D.

LosAngelis
07-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I took a weightlifting class as a young teenager at the YMCA with Lex Lugar.

VKG4LFE
07-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Do you mean Larry Pfohl?

JoeMama
07-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Wasn't Mr.T a Packer?....or did he just try out?