PDA

View Full Version : Stadium name?

renovikesfan
03-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I did a search, but couldn't find any threads about it, so I apologize in advance if there's already a similar topic.....

Does anyone have any ideas for a name for the new stadium?

My favorite that I've come up with is "Valhalla Coliseum", but here
are some others I've come up with:

Thor's Field
Viking Stadium
Stringer Field (in memory of #77)

Feel free to contribute ideas.....

GreenBaySlackers
03-27-2006, 12:12 AM
"whoever gives us the most money" Field

carta4eva
03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
wait, did I miss something? did they approve the Stadium deal?

mr.woo
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM
how about dont count youre eggs till they hatch field?

just a thought.

VikesfaninWis
03-27-2006, 12:15 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

Right on... It's open season as far as naming right goes.. I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. We haven't even gotten approved for a new stadium and here we sit thinking of names.. It will be easy..

Highest Bidder Stadium..

cajunvike
03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Packers Suck Stadium...LOL

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
03-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Lets think Minneapolis based comapanies.

General Mills Field...ew
Best Buy Field....maybe
Honeywell Field...ew
3M Stadium....I dont mind it, maybe

ChiTownVike
03-27-2006, 01:00 AM
The purplepride.org field!

sleepagent
03-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Nordic Field

LuckyVike
03-27-2006, 01:03 AM
"mr.woo" wrote:

just a thought.

I heard dat.

COJOMAY
03-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I know the complex is called "Northern Lights" so I assumed that it would be called "Northern Lights Stadium" but you are right, there may be a naming rights like 3M Field but like in SF it won't be called by the fans what the naming rights call for.

TheAnimal93
03-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Well if comes to fruition, how about Ziggy's Turf at 3M Stadium sponsored by purplepride.org!
Featuring the Animal93 as stadium announcer!
:grin:

ThePurpleCow
03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
hows about the house that Ziggy built

MaddenVodkaAddict
03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Shania Twain Field

FedjeViking
03-27-2006, 01:27 AM
"renovikesfan" wrote:

I did a search, but couldn't find any threads about it, so I apologize in advance if there's already a similar topic.....

Does anyone have any ideas for a name for the new stadium?

My favorite that I've come up with is "Valhalla Coliseum", but here
are some others I've come up with:

Thor's Field
Viking Stadium
Stringer Field (in memory of #77)

Feel free to contribute ideas.....

I like the Valhalla Coliseum, but the dumb press won't be able to pronounce it!

Thor's Field or Viking Stadium. Is there going to be a landmark nearby? Like Pittsburgh had "Three Rivers Stadium?"

whiteviking24
03-27-2006, 01:52 AM
norsemen feild

singersp
03-27-2006, 02:10 AM
I said Vahalla a long time ago & I believe I read that's what Zygi called it.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

singersp
03-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: Vikes Promote Economic and Stadium Development Plan

"singersp" wrote:

"gregair13" wrote:

whatever they plan to name it, lets hope its not too dumb. i assume it will be after a company or twenty to help with the funds.

I say call it "Valhalla"

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:54 am Post subject: Wilf Gets "IT"

"COJOMAY" wrote:

http://www.pcpsports.com/article_dsp.cfm?ArticleID=84

I picked this up from "Point-Counterpoint Sports" web site and thought you might like to read it!

Wilf Gets "It"
By Moe

Since Zygmunt Wilf became the primary owner of the Vikings, it has become apparent over the last year that he is not a carpet bagging opportunist that sees the Vikings solely as a money making scheme, or an absentee owner who looks at his team as a status symbol, or a hands-on neophyte that would show up at the combine in black socks and a stopwatch around his neck.

No, Zygmunt Wilf is none of that. With his alumni program, the commitment to the future and to winning, and now the unveiling of the stadium and the Hall of Fame that he's going to call "Valhalla" , Wilf has connected with the Vikings fan, and it's become apparent that he has grasped the psyche of the Vikings fan in a short time, and that he "gets it".........

vikeswin2005
03-27-2006, 02:49 AM
thanx singer

nephilimstorm
03-27-2006, 02:56 AM
"vikeswin2005" wrote:

thanx singerYeah really...he wants to name it valhalla stadium oh oh lol...there goes the packers packing there bags hoping they dont get trounced

eclipse_2303
03-27-2006, 02:56 AM
"Puckett Stadium"

I think that is the best name it could get.

vikeswin2005
03-27-2006, 03:01 AM
"eclipse_2303" wrote:

"Puckett Stadium"

I think that is the best name it could get.
that would be a good baseball stadium name

freaky
03-27-2006, 03:23 AM
r*pe & pillage field? lol..

berserks field?
vinland?

damien927
03-27-2006, 03:49 AM
I vote for Valhalla

Potus2028
03-27-2006, 03:54 AM
what about something having to do with a vikings ship?

i like rape and pillage field

3M field would be a logical one...

but since miller lite sponsers us.. we could make it miller lite field

NodakPaul
03-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Valhalla (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/v/valhalla.html)

Valhalla, Hall of the Slain, in Norse mythology is the hall presided over by Odin. This vast hall has five hundred and forty doors. The rafters are spears, the hall is roofed with shields and breast-plates litter the benches. A wolf guards the western door and an eagle hovers over it. It is here that the Valkyries, Odin's messengers and spirits of war, bring half of the heroes that died on the battle fields (the rest go to Freya's hall Folkvang). These heroes, the Einherjar, are prepared in Valhalla for the oncoming battle of Ragnarok. When the battle commences, eight hundred warriors will march shoulder to shoulder out of each door.

MensaTice
03-27-2006, 04:08 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

Are you nuts???!!!! Do you know where miller is and that they already have sh*tty stadium named after it

Potus2028
03-27-2006, 04:10 AM
nope, have no idea.. otherwise i wouldnt have suggested it..

mind filling me in?

COJOMAY
03-27-2006, 04:14 AM
It's in Milwaukee, near the dreaded town of GB

Potus2028
03-27-2006, 04:15 AM
oh, good call..

i retract my earlier said post about miller.. take back all that... thanks for filling me in

MensaTice
03-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Didn't mean to jump down your throat. Glad you retracted.

Potus2028
03-27-2006, 04:23 AM
oh thats no big deal.. way to keep me honest and in check..

would they seriously consider VallHalla stadium? thatd be awesome!

singersp
03-27-2006, 04:45 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

Zygi is already naming the stadium Valhalla.

"No, Zygmunt Wilf is none of that. With his alumni program, the commitment to the future and to winning, and now the unveiling of the stadium and the Hall of Fame that he's going to call "Valhalla"

freaky
03-27-2006, 04:47 AM
just call it VALHALLA...nothing else needed!!
Nordic Field or Norse Field are awesome too...but we all know it'll be corporate driven as always..something viking would be just frickin unreal though

Turboe
03-27-2006, 05:02 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

"No, Zygmunt Wilf is none of that. With his alumni program, the commitment to the future and to winning, and now the unveiling of the stadium and the Hall of Fame that he's going to call "Valhalla" f

Do you think that means that he means he is going to name the stadium that or just the hall of fame. You cant really tell by the wording.

freaky
03-27-2006, 05:04 AM
hall of fame methinks..

singersp
03-27-2006, 05:05 AM
"Turboe" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

"No, Zygmunt Wilf is none of that. With his alumni program, the commitment to the future and to winning, and now the unveiling of the stadium and the Hall of Fame that he's going to call "Valhalla" f

Do you think that means that he means he is going to name the stadium that or just the hall of fame. You cant really tell by the wording.

I thought the "Hall of Fame" was going to be right in the stadium building. Thereby one name for both.

sharper42
03-27-2006, 05:17 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

Are you nuts???!!!! Do you know where miller is and that they already have sh*tty stadium named after it

milwaukee is 2 1/2 hours away from gb besides millerpark is a really really nice field

MensaTice
03-27-2006, 05:19 AM
"sharper42" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

milwaukee is 2 1/2 hours away from gb besides millerpark is a really really nice field

By really nice do you mean that parts of it were falling apart before it was two years old? Then yes it is very nice.

olson_10
03-27-2006, 05:24 AM
i vote for rape and pillage field..i thought that was a creative one

singersp
03-27-2006, 05:25 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

"sharper42" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

By really nice do you mean that parts of it were falling apart before it was two years old? Then yes it is very nice.

Part of the roof collapsed while they were building it. Not after.

MensaTice
03-27-2006, 05:34 AM
How about the rain delay they had there last year. Not bad considering the retractable roof

singersp
03-27-2006, 05:36 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

How about the rain delay they had there last year. Not bad considering the retractable roof

LMAO! I didn't here about that!

MensaTice
03-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I looked but I couldn't find the story on it and I can't remember the date but I'll never forget my buddy calling me screaming about the rain delay last year. I read about it later but was dissapointed that it wasn't a bigger story. Absolutely pathetic

PurplePumpkin
03-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Valhalla Stadium

That would be perfect!

SnoSho
03-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Guess if we call the Hall of Fame Valahalla, You have to call the Stadium Asgard, the land of the gods Or Midgard the land of men. BUT since there is so much money hinging on this whole package I see it being delt out to whoever tosses the most cash in the pot. Then it would be up to us to just nickname it anyway.

canadian_vikes_fan
03-27-2006, 06:15 AM
How bout the PP.O stadium???

I'm sure between the 5500 members on this site, we could probably pool together a few million bucks to buy the naming rights. :lol:

chilifoot
03-27-2006, 07:37 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Packers Suck Stadium...LOL
best
name
ever

Caine
03-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Call it, "Caine's House of Pain".

And, above the entrence put, "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here".

...has a nice ring to it.

Caine

singersp
03-27-2006, 12:10 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Caine

I'm assume you mean above the door where the opponents enter & not the ones the Vikings fans enter.

RK.
03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I think they should put Bud Grants name on it. :smile:

Bud Grant Stadium

Grant Field

He has been connected to the Vikings from 1966 still to this day. 40 years is longer that that Lambeau guy up north that got a field named after him. :razz:

NodakPaul
03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Caine

I'm assume you mean above the door where the opponents enter & not the ones the Vikings fans enter.

lol. :lol:

VKG4LFE
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I agree with RK. Bud Grant's name has to be connected to is somehow!

VikesFan4Life
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Call me ordinary, but I think "Vikings Stadium" is fine.

But I like "Vallhalla" too. You could continue the Vikings mythology around the stadium with "Fenrir Franks" and other novelties I can't think of. My Norse mythology is a bit rusty.

cajunvike
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Valhalla (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/v/valhalla.html)

Valhalla, Hall of the Slain, in Norse mythology is the hall presided over by Odin. This vast hall has five hundred and forty doors. The rafters are spears, the hall is roofed with shields and breast-plates litter the benches. A wolf guards the western door and an eagle hovers over it. It is here that the Valkyries, Odin's messengers and spirits of war, bring half of the heroes that died on the battle fields (the rest go to Freya's hall Folkvang). These heroes, the Einherjar, are prepared in Valhalla for the oncoming battle of Ragnarok. When the battle commences, eight hundred warriors will march shoulder to shoulder out of each door.

Freya's stockpiling men??? No wonder she never posts anymore...that horny girl!!! :lol:

mblack76
03-27-2006, 07:55 PM
[X] Valhalla Stadium.

Where X is the name of the corporation that chips in. Examples
3M Valhalla Staduim or
Best Buy Valhalla Stadium.

Or if we want Grand on it, Grant Valhalla Stadium
However, is there any update on the stadium?

snowinapril
03-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Norwegian Cruise Line Stadium :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

NodakPaul
03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
"mblack76" wrote:

[X] Valhalla Stadium.

Where X is the name of the corporation that chips in. Examples
3M Valhalla Staduim or
Best Buy Valhalla Stadium.

Or if we want Grand on it, Grant Valhalla Stadium
However, is there any update on the stadium?

I actually like that a lot... because it is possible. I am all for Zygi retaining naming rights and not putting a corporate name on it, but that isn't a very good business move. And Zygi is a good businessman.

Of course, most large corporations wouldn't pay as much for only partial naming rights. They would know that 3M Valhalla Stadium would be shortened to just Valhalla in the eyes of the media ad fans. I expect we will sell naming rights just like any other stadium, and Valhalla will just be the name of the hall of fame.

3M field isn't a bad name. I could live with that...

smilefxr
03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Rolling Stone Field (gathers no Moss)

RK.
03-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I hate the selling of the names to corporations.. The 49er stadium is now called Monster Park. How stupid is that unless it was the name before which was 3com park. To me it just lacks class.

snowinapril
03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
"RK." wrote:

I hate the selling of the names to corporations.. The 49er stadium is now called Monster Park. How stupid is that unless it was the name before which was 3com park. To me it just lacks class.

CandleStick!!! Those were the days!

chilifoot
03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
"smilefxr" wrote:

oh snap! :lol:

cajunvike
03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Bud Grant Field at Valhalla Stadium

We could always start a corporation named Valhalla and buy the naming rights ourselves...that way we could make money with our company, have a sponsor's box at the stadium that we could take turns using, and we would get the name that we want on the stadium! :grin:

cajunvike
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

CandleStick!!! Those were the days!

That's what SHE said!!! :lol:

BBQ Platypus
03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
New Metropolitan Stadium, or just name it after Bud Grant. But I wouldn't mind AD SPACE FOR SALE Field.

collegeguyjeff
03-28-2006, 02:08 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

yes

just a thought.

and yes

TrappedinOakland
03-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Frostbite Field.

I would think it would be a bit demoralizing to any team to have to come up to Minny and play at Frostbite Field. It gives me pause just thinking about it.

renovikesfan
03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Okay...sorry to those who think this thread was "premature" (kinda like naming the O-line before they've even practiced, I guess?). Just trying to have some fun with it, is all.

I also like the idea of naming it after Bud Grant in some way. I'm hoping we can avoid having to name it after some corporation, but I'm resigned to the possibility of it. Let's cross our fingers that Wilf does the right thing.

singersp
03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Stringer Field or Stadium

smilefxr
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
"chilifoot" wrote:

"smilefxr" wrote:

oh snap! :lol:

thanks!

NodakPaul
03-28-2006, 10:18 PM
"renovikesfan" wrote:

Okay...sorry to those who think this thread was "premature" (kinda like naming the O-line before they've even practiced, I guess?). Just trying to have some fun with it, is all.

I also like the idea of naming it after Bud Grant in some way. I'm hoping we can avoid having to name it after some corporation, but I'm resigned to the possibility of it. Let's cross our fingers that Wilf does the right thing.

I don't think this thread was premature at all. I thought it was fun! :grin:

But why do you think that retaining naming rights is the "right thing" for Wilf to do? I am just fine with him selling the naming right off to help pay for the stadium. He will retain all the naming rights to the hall of fame (Valhalla) and the retail complex (Northern Lights), so I don't believe he will be concerned with the stadium. Especially since the stadium name can always be attached to the overall sports complex, eg: 3M Field at the Northern Lights. Now that sounds cool...

DarrinNelsonguy
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Grain Belt Premium Field

VikingGuy43
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Grain Belt Premium Field

Without reading any of the other posts I already know that this one is the best! :lol:

renovikesfan
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"renovikesfan" wrote:

I don't think this thread was premature at all. I thought it was fun! :grin:

But why do you think that retaining naming rights is the "right thing" for Wilf to do? I am just fine with him selling the naming right off to help pay for the stadium. He will retain all the naming rights to the hall of fame (Valhalla) and the retail complex (Northern Lights), so I don't believe he will be concerned with the stadium. Especially since the stadium name can always be attached to the overall sports complex, eg: 3M Field at the Northern Lights. Now that sounds cool...

Thanks for supporting the thread. :grin:

My reasoning goes with what's previously been said about Wilf. He get's "it". A big corporation could care less about what sounds good for the stadium name. They're only in it for the bucks. I was hoping we'd gotten rid of that attitude when Red left to go sell some more lemons in his used car dealerships.

Having said all that, I suppose something along the lines of your example:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

eg: 3M Field at the Northern Lights. would be cool. I'd just like the stadium name to have a nice ring to it.

whiteviking24
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
"TrappedinOakland" wrote:

Frostbite Field.

I would think it would be a bit demoralizing to any team to have to come up to Minny and play at Frostbite Field. It gives me pause just thinking about it.

IMO that would only fit if we had an outdoor stadium. :grin:

DarrinNelsonguy
03-29-2006, 12:58 AM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Grain Belt Premium Field

Without reading any of the other posts I already know that this one is the best! :lol:

Thanks man, I really think it has a great ring to it. Besides then every night game will be a Premium Night!

snowinapril
03-29-2006, 04:44 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Grain Belt Premium Field

Thanks man, I really think it has a great ring to it. Besides then every night game will be a Premium Night!

I like it too!

Don't forget to plaster the Best Beer from 1994 label on the side of the stadium also. :cool: