PDA

View Full Version : Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

singersp
03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

By Eric Krupka; 03/24/06
Real Football 365

In the past two offseasons the Minnesota Vikings have traded All Pro wide receiver Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders and all pro quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the Miami Dolphins. With their two premiere players both gone head coach Brad Childress is looking for someone to step up and be a leader.

Now let me not get ahead of myself. Nobody will ever confuse Randy Moss as a "team" first guy, and I am not here to say that he was big on being leader. Let’s face it. Although Moss seems to have a big mouth with the media he was never very vocal in the locker room. Not all leaders are vocal leaders. Some lead by example. Moss did put up tremendous numbers, yet he still didn't lead by example. The numerous off-the-field issues including his arrest in 2003 for allegedly pulling a traffic agent half a block with his car, and his on the field issues where he has been quoted as saying "I play when I want to," and his infamous early exit from a game against the Washington Redskins shows that he was not the leader of the Vikings.

So maybe the leader was supposed to be Culpepper, and it is conceivable that he was just that. After all the Moss trade to Oakland was facilitated in part to keep Moss from undermining Culpepper and show Culpepper that it was his team to lead. Actually, most NFL teams want their quarterback to be the leader. Unfortunately not every quarterback possesses the traits or earns the confidence of his teammates necessary to land that role.

This past season Culpepper was also involved in the "love boat" scandal in which he and three other players were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct, and lewd or lascivious conduct for their actions on a boat on Lake Minnetonka during the team’s bye week. Culpepper has recently said that he was busy shooting dice and did not get a dance, therefore he is innocent. Innocent or guilty, it does not matter, a team leader should lead by example on and off the field and being on the boat putting himself in a bad position is from exemplary behavior.

This brings me to the unquestionable leader of the Minnesota Vikings, All Pro center Matt Birk. The Harvard graduate is a standup guy and always conducts himself with class. Birk is arguably the best center in the game. He has also demonstrated numerous leadership qualities. Most notably, he confronted Randy Moss about walking off the field against the Redskins and when he performed his infamous touchdown celebration at Lambeau Field in the wild card round of the playoffs in 2004. Birk has never backed down from anyone, opponent or teammate, and has never unfairly criticized anyone. He plays the game with maximum effort on every play and expects the same from his teammates.

When the signing of guard Steve Hutchinson became official a reporter asked Birk about the contract and how he felt making significantly less money.

Birk responded by saying, "Don't start that stuff. I am overpaid as it is. Steve Hutchinson, in my opinion, is worth that money."

Birk's response not only shows his class, but his team first attitude. It's always refreshing to see a professional athlete not let the money and fame go to their head. The center is the leader of the offensive line and Birk should help solidify a line that should be vastly improved with his return and the addition of Hutchinson.

Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/matt-birk-vikings240306.php)

digital420
03-24-2006, 01:30 PM
ooooommmmgggggg

don't tell me that the media is actually saying something intelligent and thought out and does nothing to provoke controversy involving the vikings..

DiGiTaL

ancoin
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
OMG!! He is a LEADER! just sad he is old :cry:

singersp
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
"ancoin" wrote:

Matt is 30.

ancoin
03-24-2006, 02:03 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"ancoin" wrote:

Matt is 30. Nice he has maybe even 5 years back :eek:

DaunteHOF
03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Birk is the man but we should draft a center in the late round incase birk is injured again.

ThorSPL
03-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I said it before, I'll say it again.

ESLINGER!

Granted I wouldn't wanna wait 5 years for him, could he transition across the line?

Prophet
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Good article stating the obvious based on Birk's comments yesterday. Birk hasn't let the NFL glory get too far into his skull yet, realizing that he is getting paid millions to play a game.

ultravikingfan
03-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Vikings | Birk doing well
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:10:17 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OC Matt Birk (hip, hernia), who missed all of last season after hip surgery, is taking part in all of the drills in the Vikings spring program and said he is 100 percent and could play in a game tomorrow if needed.

shawn9876uss
03-25-2006, 04:59 PM
He is the best center in the NFL and has the most class, I hope he is a viking for life

COJOMAY
03-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I love it!

VikesfaninWis
03-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Birk is a class act. IMO, he is the best center in the NFL. When Birk is healthy, there is not a defensive linemen that can best Birk... He is a leader, he is a smart guy, and he is a great teammate. I strongly believe that Steve Hutchinson is going to be just like Matt Birk. If Culpepper would have had half the smarts as Birk, he would have never of been in that position to begin with.

Oh, and to say that Matt Birk is old is absurd. As Singer pointed out he is 30 yrs old.. How is that old? He still plays with alot of passion, and is still very good at what he does. Birk, and Hutch are going to feed off each other and be the greatest C. and LG in the NFL. This will also make McKinney much better. It's about dam time we have players on this team that think of the team first instead of their ego's. Moss and Pepp were both great players, but if the had the class that Birk has, they would both be untouchable..

NordicNed
03-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I may just have to get me a Birk jersey this year. I'm excited to see him back on the field this year. He was surely missed last season...

Our O line should truly be something to behold this year..

VikesfaninWis
03-25-2006, 05:22 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I may just have to get me a Birk jersey this year. I'm excited to see him back on the field this year. He was surely missed last season...

I agree Ned.. He was surely missed last season. I would rather have it be like it was and have him get 100% healthy versus going through the same problems year after year.. Our line will be something to fear next season, no doubt about that..

singersp
03-25-2006, 05:29 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I've been trying to get an authentic Birk for a few years now. Without paying full price, there hard to find.

DaunteHOF
03-25-2006, 05:41 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Birk is a class act. IMO, he is the best center in the NFL. When Birk is healthy, there is not a defensive linemen that can best Birk... He is a leader, he is a smart guy, and he is a great teammate. I strongly believe that Steve Hutchinson is going to be just like Matt Birk. If Culpepper would have had half the smarts as Birk, he would have never of been in that position to begin with.

Oh, and to say that Matt Birk is old is absurd. As Singer pointed out he is 30 yrs old.. How is that old? He still plays with alot of passion, and is still very good at what he does. Birk, and Hutch are going to feed off each other and be the greatest C. and LG in the NFL. This will also make McKinney much better. It's about dam time we have players on this team that think of the team first instead of their ego's. Moss and Pepp were both great players, but if the had the class that Birk has, they would both be untouchable..

Why the shot at Daunte for?

Benet
03-25-2006, 05:56 PM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?

VikesfaninWis
03-25-2006, 06:06 PM
"Benet" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?

Exactly, thanks Benet.. Culpepper brought everything upon himself. He was never a team leader, and IMO, none of his teammates looked at him that way(except a few). He didn't have respect as a leader should when he was on that field. Besides, it wasn't really a shot at Culpepper as much as it was praising Matt Birk.. If you can see clearly, I said if Culpepper would have the smarts as Birk, he would have never of gotten himself in that position to begin with. Meaning, if he was smart, he would have stayed away from that boat, and this wouldn't be happening to him.. You sure don't hear Matt Birk's name being associated with that boat incident..

Vrehna
03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Last year Culpepper had a lot thrown upon his shoulders.

No Moss,
New Offensive Coordinator,
No Birk,
etc.

He was also lead by a coach who just told him to play the game, and had a very hands off method of coaching him. It was all on Dante, and I feel that he buckled under the pressure.

As for Birk being team leader, I find it difficult to call a man who has been on the team but hasn't played the game in nearly 2 years to be your unquestioned leader. He might be the leader off the field, but how can you call him the leader on the field if he hasn't played a game?

Don't get me wrong, I love the man, and pray that we extend his contract before the beginning of this years season. A class act all the way. I used to listen to him a lot on the 93X (half-a$$ed) morning show. He is a great guy, and a great player. Maybe the best center in the game. But before we can call him our unquestioned leader, I want to see him on the field.

Deronn
03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Exactly, thanks Benet.. Culpepper brought everything upon himself. He was never a team leader, and IMO, none of his teammates looked at him that way(except a few). He didn't have respect as a leader should when he was on that field. Besides, it wasn't really a shot at Culpepper as much as it was praising Matt Birk.. If you can see clearly, I said if Culpepper would have the smarts as Birk, he would have never of gotten himself in that position to begin with. Meaning, if he was smart, he would have stayed away from that boat, and this wouldn't be happening to him.. You sure don't hear Matt Birk's name being associated with that boat incident..

Man, I hate it when someone takes the time to put together a well thought out post that covers all the bases, and "wrapping up" the whole thread into a nice, neat package and leaving me with nothing to add! I agree 100% Good post!

Jeremy
03-25-2006, 10:40 PM
"Benet" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?He wasn't in the plan from the begining. Childress never had anything great to say about Daunte from the get-go. When asked about Culpepper he said ""Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback. That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Gee, way to make a great first impression. They paid him a lot, therefore I'm stuck with him as a franchise QB.

Culpepper was lied to twice by the orginazation. First he was lied to about being able to get more of his contract up front which was promised to him last year. Second he was lied to about being shopped around this offseason. Who would want to work for a boss that lies to your face.....twice?

I think you have who forced who out of town backwards.

First Moss, now Daunte. WHY? WHY? Life's not fair. :sad: Both shipped out of town for reasons that had nothing to do with playing football.............

VikesfaninWis
03-25-2006, 11:01 PM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?He wasn't in the plan from the begining. Childress never had anything great to say about Daunte from the get-go. When asked about Culpepper he said ""Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback. That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Gee, way to make a great first impression. They paid him a lot, therefore I'm stuck with him as a franchise QB.

Culpepper was lied to twice by the orginazation. First he was lied to about being able to get more of his contract up front which was promised to him last year. Second he was lied to about being shopped around this offseason. Who would want to work for a boss that lies to your face.....twice?

First Moss, now Daunte. WHY? WHY? Life's not fair. :sad: Both shipped out of town for reasons that had nothing to do with playing football.............

Your right on the money in that statement right there.. They didn't get shipped out of town for playing football, they actually got shipped our for lack thereof. Moss was traded basically because of his attitude. His remark of " I play when I want to play" is not very team oriented. He left the Washinton game early because he had a attitude.

Culpepper gets injured and totally changes his way with the Vikings. He doesn't come to Minny to meet his new head coach. He is here and says he will meet with him, then he leaves and goes to Florida and calls Childress on the phone. Every game you saw Birk on the sideline, where was Pepp? He went about this thing the wrong way. I would bet almost anything that if he complied with the Vikes like a " Franchise QB " should, he would still be wearing purple and gold.. His actions, his attitude, his fault.

PurpleRide
03-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Part of the reason why the media has to kiss burks a$$ is he is a hometown kid, when was the last time the local media put down a hometown kid. Man they still talk up kris humphries, and all the other local basketball players playing about 2 min in the nba. I like burk, but why does the fans need to know who the "leader" is in the locker room? I think that assumption of a team leader is overblown in professional sports anyways. By the way, has anyone been to matty b's in st paul?

ThaSuperFreak33
03-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Birk will be a monster this year. We need to get a young Center with potnetial in the next few Drafts to learn under Birk so he can be groomed by one of the best.

V-Unit
03-26-2006, 01:43 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Your right on the money in that statement right there.. They didn't get shipped out of town for playing football, they actually got shipped our for lack thereof. Moss was traded basically because of his attitude. His remark of " I play when I want to play" is not very team oriented. He left the Washinton game early because he had a attitude.

Culpepper gets injured and totally changes his way with the Vikings. He doesn't come to Minny to meet his new head coach. He is here and says he will meet with him, then he leaves and goes to Florida and calls Childress on the phone. Every game you saw Birk on the sideline, where was Pepp? He went about this thing the wrong way. I would bet almost anything that if he complied with the Vikes like a " Franchise QB " should, he would still be wearing purple and gold.. His actions, his attitude, his fault.

All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.

singersp
03-26-2006, 02:50 AM
All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.

Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.

whackthepack
03-26-2006, 03:21 AM
"Vrehna" wrote:

Last year Culpepper had a lot thrown upon his shoulders.

No Moss,
New Offensive Coordinator,
No Birk,
etc.

He was also lead by a coach who just told him to play the game, and had a very hands off method of coaching him. It was all on Dante, and I feel that he buckled under the pressure.

As for Birk being team leader, I find it difficult to call a man who has been on the team but hasn't played the game in nearly 2 years to be your unquestioned leader. He might be the leader off the field, but how can you call him the leader on the field if he hasn't played a game?

Don't get me wrong, I love the man, and pray that we extend his contract before the beginning of this years season. A class act all the way. I used to listen to him a lot on the 93X (half-a$$ed) morning show. He is a great guy, and a great player. Maybe the best center in the game. But before we can call him our unquestioned leader, I want to see him on the field.

Sorry you need to get some facts straight! He has not been out for 2 years, he played in 12 games and started 11 in 2004 and during that season he was playing with a hernia and had surgery during the preseason.

Then in 2005 after having 3 more surgeries he worked with the O-line everyday and was on the sidelines every game!

So ya I see him as a team leader!

Daunte abandoned his teammates! He only came to one game and he was forced to go to that game after the Vikes sent a plane and Reggie Fowler to get him! Is that being a team leader?

V-Unit
03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.

I'm not saying he has lost any status. He should still have the utmost respect from all of the players. He also has several leadership qualities, which makes him the obvious choice for a leader on this team right now. However, changes in the roster means changes in the overall play style and personality of the team. Different teams respond to different types of leaders. Ray Lewis for example, is an excellent leader in Baltimore, but I do not think that I team like the Colts would respond to that type of leadership as well as the Ravens do. It is not possible to tel yet what kind of leader our team will respond to best. Nor is it possible to see who might arise as a leader, especially on defense.

Lack of leadership hurt the Vikings the last few years. Last year we had little of an identity on offense, and our defense became solid, but had no swagger, no attitude. During the years where we slumped our way out of the playoffs, a true leader might have helped stop the bleeding.

Jeremy
03-27-2006, 07:52 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.

Caine
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.

You're entirely wrong there.

Birk gave the team a choice - either guarantee his contract next year (now THIS year) and he'd play with pain-killers all season long (risking his health further), or he'd get surgery, and return next season (now THIS season).

No Doctor said, "Birks ok to play"...they said he COULD play if he was doped up enough, but he would run the risk of further injuring himself.

To say that the offer itself was selfish is...sorry...foolish. How many other players have you EVER seen even offer that type of deal to their team? In 39 years, I've seen ZERO do it before Birk. Most say, "Oooops, gotta get surgery...see ya next season".

The original article annoyed me somewhat - seing all the Moss comments blown out of proportion again (dragged a traffic control agent a half a block?!?!?!? Who writes this crap?) ticked me off. And the 3-second walk off really pushes my button - especially when Favre can do it with 30 seconds left and no one says diddly.

Moss got traded because he called out Red *gargles goats* McCombs for being cheap. That was the Goat-ropers final FU to the Viking fans on his way back to Texas.

Culpepper sank his own ship - regardless of opinions - when he went and hid for the rest of the season. BIRK was in town, working with the team, on the sidelines every game - Daunte was in Florida, crying in his pillow because "nobody loves me". Leader? I think not. Daunte is so self-absorbed it's laughable. His pre-season shenanigans just confirmed for everyone where Daunte's interests lie...in Daunte!!!

Birk has been solid and stable both on and off the field. Plus, he can wear a regular sized hat (i.e. His ego hasn't hyper-inflated his mellon). Right now, he's the Viking I'd most like to meet - just to say, "Thank you" for being who he is. No controversy, no whining, no contract disputes, no love boats, no trade demands. What's not to like?

Caine

Del Rio
03-27-2006, 01:08 PM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

LOL.........um no. The doctor in no way shape or form cleared him to play through his injury. In fact they told him he risked permanent damage if he played through it.

The fact that he played through injuries the last 3 years is the reason he was never getting better and his new injuries were a result of the old ones. Even if the doctors cleared him, which they didn't, and he managed to play one half ass season but it prevented him from being healthy enough to play this year how does it help the team?

Fact is by getting healthy he is helping the team way more then he would by playing hurt. Hind sight being 20/20 I'm glad he sat out last year. It would have been a waste for him to hurt himself more just to watch the other team intercept the ball.

Oh and I am waiting for someone to play the race card. Common I know there are at least a handful of you who feel this is a race issue.......jk don't post that shit, just rest assured that someone knows all the stuff you would say.

Jeremy
03-28-2006, 09:42 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Birk gave the team a choice - either guarantee his contract next year (now THIS year) and he'd play with pain-killers all season long (risking his health further), or he'd get surgery, and return next season (now THIS season).

No Doctor said, "Birks ok to play"...they said he COULD play if he was doped up enough, but he would run the risk of further injuring himself.

To say that the offer itself was selfish is...sorry...foolish. How many other players have you EVER seen even offer that type of deal to their team? In 39 years, I've seen ZERO do it before Birk. Most say, "Oooops, gotta get surgery...see ya next season".

The original article annoyed me somewhat - seing all the Moss comments blown out of proportion again (dragged a traffic control agent a half a block?!?!?!? Who writes this crap?) ticked me off. And the 3-second walk off really pushes my button - especially when Favre can do it with 30 seconds left and no one says diddly.

Moss got traded because he called out Red *gargles goats* McCombs for being cheap. That was the Goat-ropers final FU to the Viking fans on his way back to Texas.

Culpepper sank his own ship - regardless of opinions - when he went and hid for the rest of the season. BIRK was in town, working with the team, on the sidelines every game - Daunte was in Florida, crying in his pillow because "nobody loves me". Leader? I think not. Daunte is so self-absorbed it's laughable. His pre-season shenanigans just confirmed for everyone where Daunte's interests lie...in Daunte!!!

Birk has been solid and stable both on and off the field. Plus, he can wear a regular sized hat (i.e. His ego hasn't hyper-inflated his mellon). Right now, he's the Viking I'd most like to meet - just to say, "Thank you" for being who he is. No controversy, no whining, no contract disputes, no love boats, no trade demands. What's not to like?

CaineGive me more garunteed money or I won't play. What kind of great offer is that?

The doc cleared him to play hurt. According to the doc he could have played last year and has his surgury this offseason and been just fine. That's what cleared to play means. It was his medical opinion that he could have played through his injury and been fine.

The Vikings don't have an undisputed leader or an identity on offense. Their idenity left with Moss, the undisputed leadership left with Chris Carter and neither have been replaced since.....

whackthepack
03-29-2006, 12:19 AM
"Jeremy" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

CaineGive me more garunteed money or I won't play. What kind of great offer is that?

The doc cleared him to play hurt. According to the doc he could have played last year and has his surgury this offseason and been just fine. That's what cleared to play means. It was his medical opinion that he could have played through his injury and been fine.

The Vikings don't have an undisputed leader or an identity on offense. Their idenity left with Moss, the undisputed leadership left with Chris Carter and neither have been replaced since.....

Jeremy I am sorry but you must not have been paying much attention when it happened. Tice wanted him to play, and Birk told the Vikes that he would even tho he was risking much more of a serious injury and could ruin his career. But Birk said he would risk it, if they would guarantee this up coming years salary.

The doctors were telling Birk to have the surgery and that his hip would get worse if he played. Tice wanted him to play because he knew that unless the team did really well he was gone, and Birk was an important part of the team chances.

Birk playing through the hernias the year before is what lead to the 3 other surgeries, and he played most that season with a hernia after having the 1st one repaired and he was barely able to walk.