PDA

View Full Version : vikes sign mcmahon

purplepride818
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
crap. hopefully not for much

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

DCPologirl
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
are you kidding me? oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddd you guys we better be good this year or DCPoLo is going to be a very very unhappy girl with the Vikings organization :cry:

COJOMAY
03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Don't Panic DC -- He's a THIRD STRING backup. Brad will be starter and a draft pick second on the list.

NeumDog
03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
That sucks. He was terrible with Detroit, he was terrible with Philly, and now hopefully he will never have to play and get the chance to be terrible with us.

Gift
03-23-2006, 07:27 PM
well, a vike is a vike. I know Childress understands football better than I, so this must make sense some how...

Benet
03-23-2006, 07:27 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Don't Panic DC -- He's a THIRD STRING backup. Brad will be starter and a draft pick second on the list.

Cojo's right. Don't worry everyone.. I reckon the only time we'll see him in a Vikes jersey will be on the sidelines and when he takes the long snap to place-hold for Longwell to kick.

DCPologirl
03-23-2006, 07:28 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Gosh I hope you are right! I just felt a little sick to my stomach!

purplepride818
03-23-2006, 07:28 PM
as long as he got third string money and we have enough left to sign tank im cool with him being 3rd string, as long as he doesnt play.

triedandtruevikesfan
03-23-2006, 07:30 PM
oh lord. I'm scared.

DCPologirl
03-23-2006, 07:30 PM
"purplepride818" wrote:

as long as he got third string money and we have enough left to sign tank im cool with him being 3rd string, as long as he doesnt play.

which is so sad lol

Mr. Purple
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Ya noone jump ship , we signed him as a backup and I'm sure he knows that. I can sleep easier knowing we dont have JT Osoloven *mind the spelling* backing up brad. Now all we need is Linehart or Cutler!

triedandtruevikesfan
03-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I'd never jump ship, I'm just scared about the QB situation. Not so much if he's a 3rd stringer, but for peace of mind I'd like 3 starters on my team :lol:

purplepride818
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
i get what childress is doing, sign a crappy cheap backup, save money for the draft for a long term QB, hope to god johnson doesnt get injured in the next 2 years, then release mcmahon and start a young QB.

badbois
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
"Gift" wrote:

well, a vike is a vike. I know Childress understands football better than I, so this must make sense some how...
just because he knows more than you doesn't mean he knows as much as anybody else in the nfl

Vikefanman2000
03-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Ok….for half a second…..I said to myself….McMahon?? Are you kidding me?? But after a moment to think about it….why not? He can hold a clipboard as good as the next guy. Brad Johnson will be sacked less times then any other QB in the league next year, behind the most dominating offensive line in the league next year….so there really isn’t much chance of him being injured. It could have been worse…..we could have ended up with Brooks! (Living in California, I had to add that dig at Raiduh Fan)

WinonaVike
03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I dont mind this signing, he was let go in Detroit only after they got Joey, and played with nothing but second stringers in Philly. I dont think hes as bad as most think.

Slade
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I would rather bring in Jim McMahon

Ltrey33
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't mind this signing too much really. My biggest reason for saying that is he is familiar with Childress and the offense. I really do hope we draft a guy to be second string though!

cajunvike
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
He will be fine...Childress must know something about him...plus he already knows the offense! Besides, if Brad gets hurt (GOD FORBID), all McMahon will have to do is hand off to the left side...Hutch and McKinney will take care of the rest for Taylor, MeMo or Whizz!!!

Deadly_Diabetic
03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Scout.com said that if we sign McMahon it almost gaurantees that we will trade up to get a QB in the draft. Cutler or Young here we come.

-DD

PurplePumpkin
03-23-2006, 07:57 PM
"purplepride818" wrote:

Vikings | McMahon contract details
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:16:05 -0800

Updating a previous report, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the two-year contract signed by Minnesota Vikings QB Mike McMahon is worth $2 million and includes about $400,000 in upfront money. McMahon will also receive a $300,000 roster bonus next spring.

thanatoschristou
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
No Young. I am not entirely convinced he is going to be great, yet. I would rather have Cutler. McMahon is only meant to be a back-up, let us hope we still get a young guy.

Deadly_Diabetic
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Nice greek name. "Death of Christ"

Are you a greek scholar?

-DD

(Not to hijack the thread or anything)

PackSux!
03-23-2006, 08:05 PM
The talk about Young on sportscenter or Mike and Mike this morning was that he would be the quarterback that you see nobody picking. I agree with them, but i am hoping they are wrong and it is Cutler who falls down for us.

purplepride818
03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
looks like brad johnson is signed thru the 2008 season. i wonder if we get a QB like leinart if we will let johnson play out his contract or bench him in a couple years

DEEP PURPLE
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

I don't mind this signing too much really. My biggest reason for saying that is he is familiar with Childress and the offense. I really do hope we draft a guy to be second string though!

I like this signing as well if we do draft a QB for the future. McMahon is familiar with the system and it would be better to have a guy on the sideline with some knowledge as opposed to learning the system at the same time the draft pick is(Cutler).

On another note please no Vince Young. He has Akili Smith written all over him.

COJOMAY
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
R-E-L-A-X!!!!!!
Two years ago Shawn Hill was the #2 QB behind CPep. Now THAT was scary.

Freakout
03-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Lets see a backup, possibly third stringer, that has experience playing in the WCO. Few of you need to realize that coaches don't always bring guys they're comfortable with in just to play but also to help their teammates catch on to the system that they're already comfortable with.

purpleFavreEaters
03-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I just threw up in my mouth when I heard this.

sirweeze
03-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Whew.... at least it isn't Joey.

briboy75
03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
"sirweeze" wrote:

Whew.... at least it isn't Joey.

joey is better then this guy... i hate admitting the harrington is better than anyone.... i can't think of anyone on the markey i wouldn't pick over mcmahon.

sunny
03-23-2006, 09:05 PM
"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

On another note please no Vince Young. He has Akili Smith written all over him.

:laughing3:

You sir are a wise man

VikesfaninWis
03-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Come on everyone, cut this guy some slack. He played like crap in Detroit because well, it is Detroit. On the Lions he was under coached, and he was a rookie.. In Philly, he was playing with a half decimated offense. He knows the system, he knows Childress, and he is young enough to learn right from wrong. Give him a chance, he came cheap, its not like we broke the bank to sign him..

Articnv
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I would have rather seen joey as a bench warmer he at least should flashes in a crap org.

IdaVike_Cheese-Hater
03-23-2006, 09:23 PM
"PurplePumpkin" wrote:

"purplepride818" wrote:

Vikings | McMahon contract details
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:16:05 -0800

Updating a previous report, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the two-year contract signed by Minnesota Vikings QB Mike McMahon is worth $2 million and includes about $400,000 in upfront money. McMahon will also receive a $300,000 roster bonus next spring.

Judas! What a life! All that for getting Brad his Gatorade when he's off the field........

sirweeze
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
"Slade" wrote:

I'd rather bring in VINCE McMahon.

KJ
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

R-E-L-A-X!!!!!!
Two years ago Shawn Hill was the #2 QB behind CPep. Now THAT was scary.Um, Gus was :wink:

ultravikingfan
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
"sirweeze" wrote:

"Slade" wrote:

I would rather have Ed McMahon!

Geez guys! Settle down. We did not sign him to be a starter.

josdin00
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Gosh I hope you are right! I just felt a little sick to my stomach!

I take it then you won't be PMing me to request the first Mike McMahon sig on the site?

cajunvike
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"sirweeze" wrote:

"Slade" wrote:

I would rather have Ed McMahon!

Geez guys! Settle down. We did not sign him to be a starter.

Why not Katie McMahon?

http://www.katiemcmahon.com/

Or Stephanie McMahon?

http://images.google.com/images?q=stephanie+mcmahon&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest

:lol: :lol:

Vikes
03-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm not worried about him.

VikesfaninWis
03-23-2006, 10:53 PM
McMahon Thinks Johnson Could Help Him
By Tim Yotter

Date: Mar 23, 2006

Sixth-year quarterback Mike McMahon thinks a chance to play under Brad Johnson could help him harness his skills. McMahon signed with the Vikings Thursday and was honest in his assessment of his career to this point.

Mike McMahon stood tall and gave an honest assessment of his skills.

“(Calming down) is what I’ve got to work on,” the quarterback said after visiting with the Vikings coaching staff. “In the years past I’ve been moving around a little bit. I’d like to come in and watch how Brad Johnson does things a little bit and learn.”

The Vikings signed McMahon to compete for the No. 2 spot behind starter Brad Johnson, but McMahon’s career numbers after four seasons in Detroit and one year in Philadelphia aren’t exactly Pro Bowl material in his limited opportunities.

He has only a 44.5 completion percentage, 15 touchdowns and 21 interceptions — a 55.1 passer rating. But McMahon wasn’t trying to shy away from those numbers. Instead, he opted for the refreshingly honest answer and talked further about the possibilities of learning from a veteran like Johnson.

“Over the years, I’ve sometimes seemed to force some throws on third-down situations when you can check it down and punt or you just trust the backs to get the yards,” McMahon said. “Brad is very good at hitting the checkdowns and playing it a little safer, and he moves the ball down the field a little slower. Donovan is more of the big-play guy. I tend to take too many chances, and maybe playing behind Brad … might make me calm down a little bit and make better decisions on the field and therefore raise the completion percentage.”

One advantage McMahon has coming into the Vikings offense is familiarity. He already knows head coach Brad Childress offense from last year, when McMahon was starting seven games in Philadelphia for an injured Donovan McNabb and Childress was the offensive coordinator.

Those November and December games were a struggle, however, as McMahon managed five touchdowns and eight interceptions in the Eagles’ swoon.

“You get little opportunities and sometimes you have to make the most out of them,” McMahon said. “It’s not the best situation you want to be in — we had a lot of injuries. (Wide receiver Todd) Pinkston was out all year and of course Terrell (Owens) was gone. And then of course (Brian) Westbrook went down and basically the entire offensive line. So it wasn’t the best situation, but it was an opportunity. I think you have to learn if you get an opportunity to play.”

McMahon also knows a little about new Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson from playing with him at the Senior Bowl before each came into the league in 2001, and former Detroit teammate Jeff Backus also played with Hutchinson at Michigan and gave a favorable review to McMahon. The quarterback also has spent a little time with Vikings receiver Koren Robinson when they were together at a rookie symposium.

While McMahon likely will compete with J.T. O’Sullivan for the No. 2 job, it’s possible those two will also be in a battle for employment since the Vikings are expected to seriously examine the quarterback possibilities in the draft. With a first-day draft selection at quarterback, that likely would leave four quarterbacks on the roster with only three roster spots available, making for some good competition for the backup role behind Johnson.

McMahon isn’t sure how that would affect him.

“It depends on where they would draft a guy. Being in Detroit when they drafted a first-rounder wasn’t the best situation in the world to be in, but it depends if I can get a deal done — will they draft a guy higher or will they draft a guy lower,” he said.

For now, learning from Johnson is his main objective.

“Getting an opportunity to learn from Brad Johnson is a great opportunity. … He has many years of experience under his belt. I definitely think I can learn from him,” McMahon said. “I got a lot from Donovan, but with Brad he’s a little bit older and I think he plays a little bit more conservative, which I definitely think can help me and my career in the long run.

scout.com
membership required

BIGDADDYG
03-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Who knows maybe with a vet like BJ showing him the ropes and a solid o-line he might just grow into a solid backup.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I like the move and I think he was the best available backup QB that was available in FA.

FuadFan
03-23-2006, 11:32 PM
He is as good as anybody else on the free agent market maybe even better I mean Kerry Collins? Tommy Maddox? Joey Harrington? would he really be any worse then this lot to choose from?

JellyBean2144
03-23-2006, 11:58 PM
McMahon??? :shock: Well, welcome...I think.

purplepride818
03-24-2006, 12:01 AM
he was the cheapest too. so we had money to burn on tank

freaky
03-24-2006, 12:02 AM
mcmahon thinks johnson can help him? i think religion could help him! seriously we're set to have the berlin wall as our offensive line & what's the bet i still have to watch that muppet making sideways runs like bambi on meth...not only that put we've got out replacement precision pick thrower lol...all i can say is i hope he's upgraded his life insurance...& yes childress must've seen something in him...was mcmuppet holding for akers when he kicked that winning field goal on a funky leg last year? 'cos that could be the kinda performance that got him here!!! lol...sorry guys...but i can't take this signing seriously...

ThaSuperFreak33
03-24-2006, 01:23 AM
He did have his best games against us in past seasons.

sleepagent
03-24-2006, 01:38 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

New guy will be 3rd and not play at all, no matter who they draft, UNLESS injuries become a factor.

michiganvike
03-24-2006, 01:40 AM
yeah listen to sleepagent
he will be a fine backup.
i dont really like him THAT much, but he will get the job done, and he has worked with childress before which is a plus.

And we can move up in the draft. i just hope its a realistic thing and the price isnt too high

sleepagent
03-24-2006, 01:41 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

are you kidding me? oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddd you guys we better be good this year or DCPoLo is going to be a very very unhappy girl with the Vikings organization :cry:

Having lived in Detroit, MI for five years I can tell you this much about him. The ladies love to google over him. However, if his talents would only match his looks, we'd have a real stud on our team.

Hopefully they can channel that in Minnie.

eclipse_2303
03-24-2006, 01:49 AM
I dont think the ladies will like him in Minnesota. McMahon doesnt have a norweigen accent, probably cant fish, probably doesnt go hunting, and his girlfriend probably cant beat him up. 4 things girls look for in guys in minnesota and he fails at them all.

Prophet
03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Came on the cheap and there are other moves in the hopper regarding the QB position. My opinion is indifferent on this move.

Prophet
03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Contract update: McMahon
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:08:02 -0800

Minnesota Vikings QB Mike McMahon signed a two-year contract with base salaries of $585,000 (2006) and $700,000 (2007).