PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Offense making progress.....

NordicNed
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Since NFL free agency began, there are two words I've never strung together to assess offseason moves by the Vikings. Here, for the first time, are those words: I'm impressed.
New coach Brad Childress is constructing a West Coast offense that could have defensive coordinators chain-popping antacids.
The defense, well, that still needs work, but the offense is coming together nicely.
Fans pouting over the trade of Daunte Culpepper should consider the acquisitions of guard Steve Hutchinson, running back Chester Taylor and fullback Tony Richardson as salves for the offense. Hutchinson is the best guard in the game. Richardson is one of the league's best blocking backs. Taylor was one of the league's best backup RBs.
Need a tough yard? Just call a play for Taylor, who follows Richardson into the left side of the line, where Hutchinson and former Pro Bowl center Matt Birk clear a wide swath.
Need second-and-short? The aforementioned players have the talent to make that happen, too.
"I'm ecstatic about Hutchinson,' Birk said. "And we're bringing in fullbacks and running backs. It looks like we're going to pound the ball. As an offensive lineman, that's what you like."
And if the running game is moving the chains, life becomes that much easier for Brad Johnson and the passing game.
"The more balance you can get, the more success you can have," Birk said. "And the more dangerous you can become."
Now, if the Vikings ever get around to improving the defense, I'll string together these three words for the first time: I'm really impressed.
Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com.

olson_10
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
well we are working on the defense by bringing in tank today, and signing leber..hopefully we can get a nickle back, and then some nice draft picks at LB, and we will be set

Lotza
03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Since NFL free agency began, there are two words I've never strung together to assess offseason moves by the Vikings. Here, for the first time, are those words I'm impressed.
New coach Brad Childress is constructing a West Coast offense that could have defensive coordinators chain-popping antacids.
The defense, well, that still needs work, but the offense is coming together nicely.
Fans pouting over the trade of Daunte Culpepper should consider the acquisitions of guard Steve Hutchinson, running back Chester Taylor and fullback Tony Richardson as salves for the offense. Hutchinson is the best guard in the game. Richardson is one of the league's best blocking backs. Taylor was one of the league's best backup RBs.
Need a tough yard? Just call a play for Taylor, who follows Richardson into the left side of the line, where Hutchinson and former Pro Bowl center Matt Birk clear a wide swath.
Need second-and-short? The aforementioned players have the talent to make that happen, too.
"I'm ecstatic about Hutchinson,' Birk said. "And we're bringing in fullbacks and running backs. It looks like we're going to pound the ball. As an offensive lineman, that's what you like."
And if the running game is moving the chains, life becomes that much easier for Brad Johnson and the passing game.
"The more balance you can get, the more success you can have," Birk said. "And the more dangerous you can become."
Now, if the Vikings ever get around to improving the defense, I'll string together these three words for the first time I'm really impressed.
Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com.nice one ned. but i think the defenseis plenty improved man. we don't need too many more since we signeed so much last year.

JellyBean2144
03-23-2006, 02:06 PM
West Coast offense?? I hope we can handle it. But I do like our progress. The O-line is going to be tight, and that is a key. If the protection is shady, then we have no chance of making the WC (West Coast) offense work. Teams that have great protection up front can then establish a running game and that creates balance. But we are looking good.

digital420
03-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I have to agree with Ned's post..

we are really putting together a more rounded offence then just the heave ho qb and some stylish wr to nab it b4 someone else does.

I like the moves so far, lets hope they gel together quickly!! and not 3/4's the way through the season.

DigiTaL

olson_10
03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
"Lotzapurple119" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

Since NFL free agency began, there are two words I've never strung together to assess offseason moves by the Vikings. Here, for the first time, are those words I'm impressed.
Now, if the Vikings ever get around to improving the defense, I'll string together these three words for the first time I'm really impressed.
Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com.nice one ned. but i think the defenseis plenty improved man. we don't need too many more since we signeed so much last year.
LB's that fit the system (probably just 1 more, in the draft), and a safety (tank i hope will sign today)..we are also short another experienced CB

ultravikingfan
03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Vikings making progress on offense LEADING OFF WITH BOB SANSEVERE (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14164035.htm)

shawn9876uss
03-23-2006, 06:24 PM
I am so excited for the year to start, it is going to be a great year. Hopefully we can get Tank also

DogPound
03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
The good thing about the Cover 2 is that you can have "no name" linebackers who are athletic and can cover and they will fit the system very well. So that helps us in the draft and as far as our salary cap goes ...our D-line is great my only worry is that it usually requires speed at both ends of the line and Udeze is more of a dual threat at end he can play both the run and rush the passer but speed is not his best asset..Im sure he'll do fine but just a little worry I have.

badbois
03-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I haven't read the paper for a few days and was checking out some old articles when I saw that daunte asked for a playbook and was never given one. what happened to the talk of pep getting and mysterious laptop with all the plays that was never opened.

whackthepack
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
"digital420" wrote:

I have to agree with Ned's post..

we are really putting together a more rounded offence then just the heave ho qb and some stylish wr to nab it b4 someone else does.

I like the moves so far, lets hope they gel together quickly!! and not 3/4's the way through the season.

DigiTaL

That was an article by Bob Sansevere, columnist from the Pioneer Press Newspaper!

badbois
03-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I think our team is very well suited for the west coast because we are so deep at wr that spreading the ball around with quick passes would be much to our benifitt.

Benet
03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
"badbois" wrote:

I haven't read the paper for a few days and was checking out some old articles when I saw that daunte asked for a playbook and was never given one. what happened to the talk of pep getting and mysterious laptop with all the plays that was never opened.

Old news. Check the "Childress ends talk of Daunte" (or something like that) thread.

While I'm impressed with what we've done so far, I'm hesitant to say we're going to be an 11-win team just yet. Look what happened last year. That doesn't mean I'm not pysched, however. I really like what has happened so far this Off-Season and can't wait for the draft.

PAvikesfan
03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
when we get a back up QB, back up CB's, a Safety and a LB... we are set for the 2006 season.

Ltrey33
03-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm impressed too. I think Childress is putting together a heck of a team.

badbois
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
we just need a new qb to build around

whackthepack
03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
"badbois" wrote:

You do not seem to understand, the team is not going to be built around a specific player. Childress's first words were "it all starts up front". He is building the team so that the lines are good, the QB we get I am sure will be either a good prospect (draft or trade), or a veteran that we get to try and revamp their career. But that is not the Vikings main focus they want a system, and then plug the players in!

It will not be we get a QB (Vince Young as an example) and then design the offense around them, that is not how it is going to work here!

ultravikingfan
03-23-2006, 07:42 PM
"badbois" wrote:

Who Brad?

I just shat my pants! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/obscene/042.gif

DaunteHOF
03-24-2006, 04:11 AM
offense is crazy on all ends except for QB

DarrinNelsonguy
03-24-2006, 04:13 AM
A winning team starts up front where the Real Men play and without solid lines you don't win in the NFL. We will be a running team and we will have a team mentality because we tried to win with stars and it didn't work too well so we are going in a different direction.

mr.woo
03-24-2006, 04:14 AM
our offense is gonna be good.

ThaSuperFreak33
03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Well you need a good QB period. You dont have to build around him but he has to fit the scheme. Cutler will turn out great behind Brad for the year.

whiteviking24
03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
why is everyone so anti-brad around here all the sudden?

yea hes not gonna be around forever, but he's here now.

we hit a soft spot in the season last year blah blah blah,

give the man an o-line a run game and another chance IMO

raginghelga914
03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
whiteviking you rock! Yes' it's true Brad will not be around forever and yes it would be nice to build around a QB, I believe my guy Brad has proven his leadership capabilites and with a strong offensive line he'll be just fine until we're able to develop an young QB prospect.

ultravikingfan
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Is Johnson Next? (http://vikings.scout.com/2/512853.html)

Is Johnson Next?

Brad Johnson By John Holler -- http://vikings.scout.com

Date: Mar 24, 2006

The Vikings have shown a lot of players the money during the last month. The same might be in line for Brad Johnson.

The Vikings have taken advantage of their favorable salary cap position during the free agent period to help themselves at several positions. But, as coach Brad Childress proclaims the first wave of free agency a done deal, there may be another deal yet to be done.

When the Vikings signed QB Brad Johnson, the intent was to have him as a backup for Daunte Culpepper -- in effect Daunte insurance. A year later, Culpepper is gone and Johnson heads into the 2006 season as the unquestioned leader of the offense.

The deal Johnson signed is really no longer valid. He's not the backup. He's the starter and is deserving of starter's money. While nothing has been said outwardly, the Vikings shoudl be working to re-do Johnson's contract to put him more in line with the money veteran starters are paid as opposed to veteran backups.

Over the next couple of weeks, the restructuring of his contract should start. Whether or not that actually happens is another matter. Unlike guys like Chad Pennington and Steve McNair, where the word "restructured" means taking much less money, Johnson should be in line for a bigger payday.

Like it or not, Johnson is now the face of the franchise on offense. His pay stubs should reflect that.

COJOMAY
03-24-2006, 10:40 PM
John Holler of a St. Cloud Radio station writes...

The Vikings have shown a lot of players the money during the last month. The same might be in line for Brad Johnson.

The Vikings have taken advantage of their favorable salary cap position during the free agent period to help themselves at several positions. But, as coach Brad Childress proclaims the first wave of free agency a done deal, there may be another deal yet to be done.

When the Vikings signed QB Brad Johnson, the intent was to have him as a backup for Daunte Culpepper -- in effect Daunte insurance. A year later, Culpepper is gone and Johnson heads into the 2006 season as the unquestioned leader of the offense.

The deal Johnson signed is really no longer valid. He's not the backup. He's the starter and is deserving of starter's money. While nothing has been said outwardly, the Vikings shoudl be working to re-do Johnson's contract to put him more in line with the money veteran starters are paid as opposed to veteran backups.

Over the next couple of weeks, the restructuring of his contract should start. Whether or not that actually happens is another matter. Unlike guys like Chad Pennington and Steve McNair, where the word "restructured" means taking much less money, Johnson should be in line for a bigger payday.

Like it or not, Johnson is now the face of the franchise on offense. His pay stubs should reflect that.

I like this attitude. I think he's worth more money and this will head off any future fight at training camp time about what's he's worth like Culpepper wanted to do last year. It also puts the management in the driver's seat!

shawn9876uss
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I think he should get a raise, being that he is the starter now

Slade
03-24-2006, 10:46 PM
The title of this thread is interesting.... :oops:

VIKINGinGEORGIA
03-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Brad should not get another red cent. For what, as a back up, it is your JOB to learn the plays and prepare to play when/if the QB goes down. At the end of last year, Brad was talking about leaving so he can start. Now he is a starter. Does Brad cut us a check if Culpepper plays the entire season. No, so why in the world would we give him some more guaranteed money. I am not oppossed to given him some incentives for production, not for simply starting.

VinG

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I should get a bj :silent:

MensaTice
Crap. I didn't see Slade's post

Slade
I think we could use another WR. Don't get me wrong, I love this group but no one stands out as a true # 1. I do miss Randy

Slade
03-24-2006, 10:50 PM
OMG, 2 posts in a row from Mensatice w/ that kid......3 more & we have an o-line with A.D.D

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Like Ultra's post in another thread: he is the starter and starters get paid more money, so yeah he should get a raise.

VIKINGinGEORGIA
03-24-2006, 10:53 PM
"MensaTice" wrote:

Like Ultra's post in another thread: he is the starter and starters get paid more money, so yeah he should get a raise.

So, why even sign a contract? If the rules change based on the circumstances.

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 10:58 PM
"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

So, why even sign a contract? If the rules change based on the circumstances.

You can argue the morals of it all you want but the reality in the NFL is such that if you start, especially if you perform well, you get more money. It works the other way all the time. As soon as teams get in cap trouble, they will force a pay cut or the player gets cut from the team. The team is as obligated to contracts as a player like Brad is. Usually the team gets their way, but Brad is a rare player case that will turn the system in his favor. Ultra also said something to the effect of "whether you like it or not, he's the starter." He earned a starting role and now his current contracts is obsolete

VikesfaninWis
03-24-2006, 11:02 PM
BJ is our leader, he should be paid accordingly..

NodakPaul
03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
"MensaTice" wrote:

He earned a starting role and now his current contracts is obsolete

I don't know if you can say that he earned the starting role. More like the starting role defaulted to him.

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm talking about him being the unquestionable starter next season barring injury. Had he stunk it up after the starting job was given to him, he wouldn't be in this situation. People can argue all they want over who should be our QB, but the reality is that Brad is. There is a standard in the NFL that starting QBs get paid as such. This isn't my opinion, its how the system works.

Prophet
03-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I found the following excerpt on KFFL from a year ago. I don't think there is any question that he will get a bump in his salary. They are probably waiting to deal with it after the dust settles.

Vikings | Johnson Agrees to Four-year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:00:26 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent QB Brad Johnson (Buccaneers) on a four-year, $6 million deal. He received a $1.2 million signing bonus as part of the deal.

VikingGuy43
03-24-2006, 11:09 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Brad Johnson's name is not Brad Culpepper. Suggesting our QB deserves a raise is the last thing we should be proposing right now. Grandpa Johnson will be our starter for no more than one, maybe two years. He does not need a raise and we should not give him one. I don't understand why people feel that NFL players deserve raises all the time. They signed the contract... they knew what the offer was... deal with it. If you play well, you will be rewarded in your next contract.

WinonaVike
03-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I would agree that BJ deserves a slight increase in pay, nothing to huge though.

VikingGuy43
03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

I don't know if you can say that he earned the starting role. More like the starting role defaulted to him.

Exactly NodakPaul! Exactly. BJ is still the QB by default. We will be drafting our starting QB (of the future) next month. BJ is just filling in, in the meantime.

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 11:14 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Brad Johnson's name is not Brad Culpepper. Suggesting our QB deserves a raise is the last thing we should be proposing right now. Grandpa Johnson will be our starter for no more than one, maybe two years. He does not need a raise and we should not give him one. I don't understand why people feel that NFL players deserve raises all the time. They signed the contract... they knew what the offer was... deal with it. If you play well, you will be rewarded in your next contract.

Again. You are letting personal feelings get in the way of the reality of the situation. He will get a raise and any player in his situation deserves one. The "he signed a contract" argument doesn't work. This is the NFL and this is how it works.

Brad Culpepper??? What the hell does that mean? Nobody with a brain besides Tice ever confused Daunte with a leader...........wait....nevermind. He is a talent. Not a leader. He is a loser. This has nothing to do with the thread or my argument about Brad. Just ranting a little after seeing that idiotic comment

VikingGuy43
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
"MensaTice" wrote:

"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Again. You are letting personal feelings get in the way of the reality of the situation. He will get a raise and any player in his situation deserves one. The "he signed a contract" argument doesn't work. This is the NFL and this is how it works.

Brad Culpepper??? What the hell does that mean? Nobody with a brain besides Tice ever confused Daunte with a leader...........wait....nevermind. He is a talent. Not a leader. He is a loser. This has nothing to do with the thread or my argument about Brad. Just ranting a little after seeing that idiotic comment

I am letting personal feelings get in the way? Listen to yourself. You obviously love Brad Johnson if you posted this thread in the first place. WHat are you his agent? And as for your comments about Culpepper not being a leader. I gurantee you at the end of last offseason you would have had nothing bad to say about him. He was coming off a 4700 yard 39 td year. Pretty impressive if you ask me. The reason he sucked last year was because our offensive line was pathetic at the start of the year and he had no time to throw.

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

Exactly NodakPaul! Exactly. BJ is still the QB by default. We will be drafting our starting QB (of the future) next month. BJ is just filling in, in the meantime.

What don't you get about this???????? Kurt Warner started for the Rams by default. Did they ride out the contract he signed? No. When he was for sure the starter he got a raise. Not comapring the two players, just showing how the system works. Its really not that hard to understand. Maybe it is for you but not logical thinking humans. Like Brad or not, he is the starter. Hopefully this thread prepares you for your meltdown when it happens. He is a starter. He will get a raise. How he bacame the starter and who we draft doesn't take away that starting QBs in the NFL make more money than backups. Right now he makes backup money to start. Do you get that now? I'm sure you don't but this is the last time I'm willing to help you understand how reality works

Slade
03-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Was Phillip Rivers making more than Brees last year?

MensaTice
03-24-2006, 11:22 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

I am letting personal feelings get in the way? Listen to yourself. You obviously love Brad Johnson if you posted this thread in the first place. WHat are you his agent? And as for your comments about Culpepper not being a leader. I gurantee you at the end of last offseason you would have had nothing bad to say about him. He was coming off a 4700 yard 39 td year. Pretty impressive if you ask me. The reason he sucked last year was because our offensive line was pathetic at the start of the year and he had no time to throw.

Listen Spanky, I didn't post this thread. Furthermore, I could give two sh!ts about Brad Johnson. I just knew that all the Brad haters would let that get in the way of how life really works. He is the starter. Starters make more money. I know this is difficult for you to comprehend. I apologize for putting logic on this site with so many newbies running around.

VikesfaninWis
03-24-2006, 11:23 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

And your name is not Zygi Wilf... If he is going to be our starter, he deserves more then 1.2 mil next season. He is a SB winning QB, he is a veteran, he is a leader, unlike Culpepper. As far as playing well goes, he did just that. He won more games in consecutive weeks then Pepp could manage the whole season up to his injury. He will also be retired by the time his next contract comes up, good thing you are not running the Vikes, you wouldn't have one single player that wanted to play for you..

ultravikingfan
03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Relax folks.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Especially if they agree with me! :razz: JK!

NodakPaul
03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"MensaTice" wrote:

It is moot right now anyway. BJ signed his contract in May. Which means it cannot be restructured until May. The Vikings will have their first Mini camp before then. If Brad comes out and shows his stuff and demonstrates the leadership qualities that I feel he has, he may very well be in line for a raise.

My arguement is that nobody deserves to have their contract reworked just because they become the starter as a result of circumstance.

VikingGuy43
03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
(VikesfaninWis said about Brad Johnson) He is a SB winning QB, he is a veteran, he is a leader, unlike Culpepper. As far as playing well goes, he did just that. He won more games in consecutive weeks then Pepp could manage the whole season up to his injury. He will also be retired by the time his next contract comes up, good thing you are not running the Vikes, you wouldn't have one single player that wanted to play for you..

Brad Johnson played against the cup cake part of our schedule. Culpepper played... Tampa Bay (playoffs) Cincy (playoffs), CHicago (playoffs) Carolina (playoffs). BJ during the 6 game run played against Detroit (2 times) Cleveland, Green Bay, the Giants when we had like 50 yards of offense, and the Rams. Yet Brad Johnson deserves a raise? I don't think so. You have beat some actual teams to deserve a raise.

VikesfaninWis
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Relax folks.

:roll: Sure Ultra... :lol:

VikingGuy43
03-24-2006, 11:32 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Relax folks.

We're just having some fun Ultra, we're just having some fun! :)

NodakPaul
03-24-2006, 11:35 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

And your name is not Zygi Wilf... If he is going to be our starter, he deserves more then 1.2 mil next season. He is a SB winning QB, he is a veteran, he is a leader, unlike Culpepper. As far as playing well goes, he did just that. He won more games in consecutive weeks then Pepp could manage the whole season up to his injury. He will also be retired by the time his next contract comes up, good thing you are not running the Vikes, you wouldn't have one single player that wanted to play for you..

How about we attack the posts, not the poster.

Anyway, your arguement about BJ playing well has been debated this entire offseason. He didn't win the games, the defense and special teams did. I really doubt Brad would like to use his 2005 season as the basis for a contract renewal.

VikesfaninWis
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
"VikingGuy43" wrote:

(VikesfaninWis said about Brad Johnson) He is a SB winning QB, he is a veteran, he is a leader, unlike Culpepper. As far as playing well goes, he did just that. He won more games in consecutive weeks then Pepp could manage the whole season up to his injury. He will also be retired by the time his next contract comes up, good thing you are not running the Vikes, you wouldn't have one single player that wanted to play for you..

Brad Johnson played against the cup cake part of our schedule. Culpepper played... Tampa Bay (playoffs) Cincy (playoffs), CHicago (playoffs) Carolina (playoffs). BJ during the 6 game run played against Detroit (2 times) Cleveland, Green Bay, the Giants when we had like 50 yards of offense, and the Rams. Yet Brad Johnson deserves a raise? I don't think so. You have beat some actual teams to deserve a raise.

Facts are facts man, BJ won a SB with the Bucs. He played great teams, and beat them. Even during Pepp's 2004 season, he couldn't get it done. If you can remember correctly, when the Bucs won the SB, they didn't exactly have the greatest offense. Also, it doesn't matter who in the hell we beat when he was the QB. If Pepp is half as great as you are leading to believe, he would have beaten the teams that we lost against.. The fact of the matter is, we went on a winning streak after BJ became our starter.

As far as this statement goes

Yet Brad Johnson deserves a raise? I don't think so. You have beat some actual teams to deserve a raise.

Well he brought us to a 9-7 record after we started out 2-5, I would say that is beating some teams.. I am sure you were one of the Culpepper backers stating to keep him. Which means the Vikings giving in to his demands of a huge pay increase of guaranteed money, well if anyone is NOT worth a pay raise it is Daunte Culpepper

VikesfaninWis
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"VikingGuy43" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

How about we attack the posts, not the poster.

Anyway, your arguement about BJ playing well has been debated this entire offseason. He didn't win the games, the defense and special teams did. I really doubt Brad would like to use his 2005 season as the basis for a contract renewal.

Maybe not, but the fact is we were 7-2 with BJ, and 2-5 with Pepp. Our defense and ST played very well the last half of the season. Some may argue that they just started playing better, or they may say they started playing better for Brad Johnson.. Regardless the case, I still liked finishing the season at 9-7 versus the 3-13, or 4-12 that Pepp would probably would have led us to..

NodakPaul
03-24-2006, 11:48 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Maybe not, but the fact is we were 7-2 with BJ, and 2-5 with Pepp. Our defense and ST played very well the last half of the season. Some may argue that they just started playing better, or they may say they started playing better for Brad Johnson.. Regardless the case, I still liked finishing the season at 9-7 versus the 3-13, or 4-12 that Pepp would probably would have led us to..

How did this turn into a BJ vs Pep thread? I thought for sure those would be done now! :lol:

I don't want to speculate on what the season would have been if BJ or Pep had been the starting QB the entire season. I just look at the games BJ started last season and his numbers don't scream "pay raise" to me. Especially when you look at the defensive rankings of the teams he beat vs the ones that he lost to. (For the record, I don't think Pep deserved a pay raise either)

Now BJ is our starter. There is no disputing that. And he may even get a pay raise before the season starts. But if he does, I want it to be based on his leadership, dedication, and experience. Not just because the starting role was thrust upon him when Duante injured his knee and later lost his mind...

Jeremy
03-25-2006, 12:19 AM
"Benet" wrote:

"badbois" wrote:

"Childress ends talk of Daunte"

Was I the only that noticed the irony of that? How do you "end talk" by bringing up new comparison's of Daunte to Terrel Owens?

As for the offense they added few guys that excel at blocking. Hutch and Richardson and with the return of Birk the line sould be much improved. I have this feeling teams are going to key on the run next year by bringing 8 in the box. Their going to make Johnson try to beat them with his deep ball which is the weakest part of his passing game.

MensaTice
03-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Defenses can make us pass all they want with two backs (Chester and Tony) that can catch plus Wiggins.

Jeremy
03-25-2006, 12:29 AM
With a safety at the LOS it makes it a lot easier to cover all those short routes. You need complete the deep abll to keep the defense honest. Right now it's the weakest part of the Viking offense. That's why we'll be seeing a lot of that 8 in the box IMO.

singersp
03-25-2006, 03:40 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

Who's letting who's feeling get in the way?

When Daunte wanted a raise after his 2004 season, all you heard from people was "Well, he signed a contract. If he's stupid enough to have signed it....tough"

Dauntes base salary that year was $535,000.

Now I like Brad as much as I did DC, but first of all, BJ isn't asking for more money & secondly he signed that contract knowing full well that if Daunte got injured, he'd be the starter.

And that's just what happened.

Now that he's the starter, if he asks for starter money, then it should be structured accordingly & incentive based, just as it was for DC.

If anyone should have ever gotten a raise on the Vikings team for his contributions, it should have been Moe Williams.

Since he's been back in MN his annual salary has been $666,000 with nary a raise.

He had performed well enough to be paid more that & was called upon for extra duty in a RB role when Smith & Bennett were injured.

MensaTice
03-25-2006, 03:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

It appears you are. :wink: Hey, I'm just talking about how the world works. Is it right or wrong? I really have no opinion on that. But the way this works, he will get a raise because starting QBs don't get paid backup money. Its simple logic.

singersp
03-25-2006, 04:30 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

It appears you are. :wink: Hey, I'm just talking about how the world works. Is it right or wrong? I really have no opinion on that. But the way this works, he will get a raise because starting QBs don't get paid backup money. Its simple logic.

It isn't bothering my feelings either way. The question is, "What is considered a fair base salary for a starting QB in the NFL?

$1.25 mil isn't exactly chump change. Here's a link to the QB's salaries in 2004. I don't know why 2005 isn't up yet, but it'll give you an idea by comparison.

USA Today Salary Data Base (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=3&order=BaseSalary+desc)

damien927
03-25-2006, 04:56 AM
To address a couple different thoughts in the wandering thread.... Yes, BJ should get a raise, but not a huge one..... Remember, even though he played decent for us last year, he could not get a starting gig with anyone else. This is the only reason that he was a back-up for us.

Brad will do fine this year and maybe next. The only problem is that we should be getting really good about the time he is set to retire. We need to get a capable and young QB this year to start grooming. Someone who can rise the Pine for a year or two and absorb the offense. I would love to see them trade up to get one of the top guys, if the price isn't crazy. After all, Most of our draft picks would be back-ups and wouldn't start at most positions, except maybe the right side of the o-line, LB, and maybe a nickel-back.

HornedHat
03-25-2006, 05:12 AM
I get Herschelitus when talking about trading picks. I would like Cutler, but I don't want to ruin our draft in a deep year for one player, especially an unproven one. I'd rather use those picks for need, maybe get Omar in the 2nd, and see what happens. Unless Cutler fell far enough to make him less expensive, pickwise. I don't think he will. I think Vince might, but I don't want him. I'd rather have Omar.

nephilimstorm
03-25-2006, 05:18 AM
"HornedHat" wrote:

I get Herschelitus when talking about trading picks. I would like Cutler, but I don't want to ruin our draft in a deep year for one player, especially an unproven one. I'd rather use those picks for need, maybe get Omar in the 2nd, and see what happens. Unless Cutler fell far enough to make him less expensive, pickwise. I don't think he will. I think Vince might, but I don't want him. I'd rather have Omar.I believe the value of our draft just went up pretty well with a number 1 two seconds and two thirds...wow...am i correct on this matter?

Packkill3r
03-25-2006, 05:22 AM
"nephilimstorm" wrote:

"HornedHat" wrote:

I get Herschelitus when talking about trading picks. I would like Cutler, but I don't want to ruin our draft in a deep year for one player, especially an unproven one. I'd rather use those picks for need, maybe get Omar in the 2nd, and see what happens. Unless Cutler fell far enough to make him less expensive, pickwise. I don't think he will. I think Vince might, but I don't want him. I'd rather have Omar.I believe the value of our draft just went up pretty well with a number 1 two seconds and two thirds...wow...am i correct on this matter?

Yeah, we have 5 picks on the first day, and that is pretty huge. Granted, if we dont match Burlys contract. And, we can get some depth on ouyr roster real quick with those many picks. Cant wait.

nephilimstorm
03-25-2006, 05:23 AM
I just cant believe the draft is at the end of april this year...i meaning the near end lol