PDA

View Full Version : Solidify the O line



sharper42
03-22-2006, 05:36 AM
i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

sirweeze
03-22-2006, 05:40 AM
I really don't think that's necessary. Right now I think the feeling is they've got a couple young guys in Herrera and Marcus Johnson where they still don't entirely know what they have yet. I'm interested to see what the new coaching staff can coax out of those guys, or even if they can get some improvement out of Rosenthal.

vikeswin2005
03-22-2006, 05:41 AM
"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure
i'm sure taylor will probably go over that already with the line we hae adding another stud (allen or runyan) would only make it hands down but it sounds like runyan will be a jet

GreenBaySlackers
03-22-2006, 05:43 AM
not necessary, but it could happen, either sign neal, allen, or the other NE tackle FA. it'll be a very good OLine.

aceclown
03-22-2006, 05:44 AM
"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

Agreed, and I think if Rosencrap ever re-structures we may be able to afford one of these guys. Your offensive line is really only as strong as your weakest link (especially in pass blocking)- that being our right side, by a long shot.

LuckyVike
03-22-2006, 05:44 AM
We need a LB and/or SS.

wordsofwisejcb
03-22-2006, 05:46 AM
I'd still like to get Stephen Neal, if he's still available. Did he sign with buffalo or another team?

Ltrey33
03-22-2006, 05:52 AM
I think our biggest need is still right tackle. I would love to see us draft Winston Justice, but I don't know if it's going to happen.

LAVike
03-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Get Neal. Y not?

snowinapril
03-22-2006, 06:30 AM
If the Eagles aren't going to sign Runyan, and Childress hasn't shown any interest, maybe they know something we don't.

I think we are drafting another for the future.

Guards:
Max Jean Gilles (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/max_jean-gilles.html)
Eslinger (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/greg_eslinger.html)
Setterstrom
(http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/mark_setterstrom.html)
Later rounds, we take one of the Gopher linemen. I wouldn't mind having Eslinger and have him play guard as long as Birk is hear. Move him over when Birk is gone.

Tackles:
Winston Justice (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/winston_justice.html)???

Jonathan Scott (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/jonathan_scott.html)***

ItalianStallion
03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

I think our biggest need is still right tackle. I would love to see us draft Winston Justice, but I don't know if it's going to happen.

Marcus Johnson will come around, no sense in drafting another rookie to start, let's give those we have already drafted a chance.

cajunvike
03-22-2006, 06:43 AM
I would prefer Marcus McNeill at RT if we draft an OL in the first round...Andrew Whitworth from LSU if we wait until the later rounds.

I would also like for us to seriously push for Stephen Neal at RG if he isn't already signed with someone else (anyone know?). I agree with the Runyon assessment...Childress must know something.

At RB, if we don't draft a first-rounder to throw into the mix, I like Joseph Addai in the second round if he is still available...good receiver out of the backfield, good size, good elusiveness....overall, a good WCO back suited for our new offense...and of course, we already know that he looks good in Purple and Gold!!!

whackthepack
03-22-2006, 06:44 AM
We need to draft a young center to learn behind Birk, and Eslinger would be a great pickup in the 3rd round.

As far as right guard and tackle, we should go with Goldberg and Johnson. Both are young players and I think will develop into solid lineman on the Vikes.

ShanePurpleBlood
03-22-2006, 06:56 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I would prefer Marcus McNeill at RT if we draft an OL in the first round...Andrew Whitworth from LSU if we wait until the later rounds.



I agree, either of those two tackles would be great to push Rosenthal for his job, he kind of fell apart at times. We are ok at guard, Marcus will come around.

snowinapril
03-22-2006, 07:09 AM
The more I think about it and put two and two together, we are headed for a QB, OG, LB and SS in the draft. No RBs.

Taylor was the solution at RB
We hvae intended on drafting a QB every since Childress took over.
Childress also let us in on the fact that we need solid O and D line.

We put one LB, one OG, and a K on this team in the offseason so far. I hope we feel that the DL we got is good enough.

Importance for the future, not necessarily the order we pick the positions in.
1. QB - someone that is teachable and can sit back and learn behind BJ
2. OG - nice to get a guy that can make an impact right away
3. LB - it seems to me that this is a ??? on this team, many talented guys
4. SS - this could be Tomlins draft, maybe he gets to in the first round

No matter what you think about the FA we got, those are the guys that our leaders deemed important, we got them and they are going to try to make them the cornerstones on this team. They may not be names like Peterson or Arrington, but they are guys we think are solid team players.

Back on point, O line is very important. I agree with Italian, that Marcus will come around and that basically leaves the RG spot to fill. That Miami pick could pick up one of the Gophers and maybe if we wanted to use our first 2nd round pick to take Max Jean Gilles.

snowinapril
03-22-2006, 07:13 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

We need to draft a young center to learn behind Birk, and Eslinger would be a great pickup in the 3rd round.

As far as right guard and tackle, we should go with Goldberg and Johnson. Both are young players and I think will develop into solid lineman on the Vikes.

Eslinger is the second rated Center right behind Mangold. If he is still around in the 3rd, you take him. I am sure he could play G and back up center.

cajunvike
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

The more I think about it and put two and two together, we are headed for a QB, OG, LB and SS in the draft. No RBs.

Taylor was the solution at RB
We hvae intended on drafting a QB every since Childress took over.
Childress also let us in on the fact that we need solid O and D line.

We put one LB, one OG, and a K on this team in the offseason so far. I hope we feel that the DL we got is good enough.

Importance for the future, not necessarily the order we pick the positions in.
1. QB - someone that is teachable and can sit back and learn behind BJ
2. OG - nice to get a guy that can make an impact right away
3. LB - it seems to me that this is a ??? on this team, many talented guys
4. SS - this could be Tomlins draft, maybe he gets to in the first round

No matter what you think about the FA we got, those are the guys that our leaders deemed important, we got them and they are going to try to make them the cornerstones on this team. They may not be names like Peterson or Arrington, but they are guys we think are solid team players.

Back on point, O line is very important. I agree with Italian, that Marcus will come around and that basically leaves the RG spot to fill. That Miami pick could pick up one of the Gophers and maybe if we wanted to use our first 2nd round pick to take Max Jean Gilles.

Except that I think that Guard is Marcus Johnson's natural position...and that would mean that we need to draft an OT...which would lead us to have to consider Marcus McNeill in the first round or wait until later to take someone like Andrew Whitworth of LSU. This could easily happen if we sign Stephen Neal in FA and let Marcus Johnson play RT next season (even though I think that he would be playing out of position).

shawn9876uss
03-22-2006, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't mind picking up a center in the first day, to learn behind birk for the next couple of years, but birk is not going to be around forever

jellovike
03-22-2006, 07:47 AM
"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

With a line like that i could probably rush for 1000 yards

Vikes
03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

Larry Allen might be expensive.

snowinapril
03-22-2006, 07:53 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:


Except that I think that Guard is Marcus Johnson's natural position...and that would mean that we need to draft an OT...which would lead us to have to consider Marcus McNeill in the first round or wait until later to take someone like Andrew Whitworth of LSU. This could easily happen if we sign Stephen Neal in FA and let Marcus Johnson play RT next season (even though I think that he would be playing out of position).

Yes, I think that is a valid concern for the coaching staff. Do they want to move him back to RG or keep him at RT??? His footwork seems questionable, seemed a bit slow, what are they going to do???

If I remember right, they had him slated as moving to the RT out of college even though he started 45 of 48 games at RG at Ole Miss.



Jul. 27, 2005 - 12:49 am et

Vikings signed tackle Marcus Johnson, a second-round pick, to a five-year, $3.455 million contract.
The Mississippi tackle has ideal size and should be Minnesota's right tackle of the future. He could play guard this year, though.


Apr. 23, 2005 - 8:05 pm et

Vikings selected Ole Miss tackle Marcus Johnson with the 49th pick in the NFL Draft.
Something of a luxury pick, the 6'6, 321 pound force may replace Mike Rosenthal at right tackle long-term.

CynicalVike
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

Larry Allen might be expensive.

His cap number was somewhere around $6-7M for the Cowboys this year. I think $4M of it was defered signing bonus.

I'm not interested in having him here. He's 34, which is getting old for a guy his size, and he's played the left side all his career. Who would you move to the right side, him or Hutch?

I'd like to see us pick up Neal to finish off the re-tooling of our Oline and pick up some younger players we can nurture along in the later rounds. I do think we should pick up Eslinger in the second though. The zone blocking scheme he played in college, with his speed and mobility, should be quiet usefull in the new offense we are going to run.

whackthepack
03-22-2006, 08:51 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

We need to draft a young center to learn behind Birk, and Eslinger would be a great pickup in the 3rd round.

As far as right guard and tackle, we should go with Goldberg and Johnson. Both are young players and I think will develop into solid lineman on the Vikes.

Eslinger is the second rated Center right behind Mangold. If he is still around in the 3rd, you take him. I am sure he could play G and back up center.


At the end of the college season he was concidered the best center in the darft. Mangold ended up moving ahead after the bowl games. Esclinger is a great pulling center and is a smart player, he can open some holes.

VikingGuy43
03-22-2006, 08:57 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

"sharper42" wrote:

i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure

Larry Allen might be expensive.

Exactly... the guy was making 6-7 million last year and he still had a good season in Dallas. There is no way we would fork out more big money to another guard after the money we just gave Hutch. Instead let's use whatever money we have leftover on a LB.

PackSux!
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Marcus johnson is to slow at guard, he cant get out of his stance in time to be productive. That is one of the reasons we put him at tackle, at least that is what i read in a article long time back.


Stephan Neal is still available and he would not cost as much as Larry Allen.

V-Unit
03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
When it comes to O-Line Marcus Johnson is NOT the weakest link. Snowinapril summed it up perfectly. I think the right call is too replace Goldberg either in FA or the draft and then extend Mckinnie's contract. Keep the O-line together for at least 3 or 4 years. The running attack will be amazing now and in the future if that is the case.

Del Rio
03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
The offensive line is like one big player. You don't need pro-bowlers in every spot.

Our team has way bigger needs atm then O-line.

You sign a guy like Hutch because he is good enough to make up for other players. He isn't considered the best guard in the league because he does only HIS job well. He will be working with the line, watching their backs, and together as a team they will succeed.

As a D lineman nothing pisses you off more then beating a guy only to have a huge paw from the guard get a hand on you throwing you off your game.

whackthepack
03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Goldberg is a going into his 3rd year and Marcus is going into his 2nd, it takes an NFL lineman 3 to 4 years to become solid player. Look at McKinnie, he stated half way throw his first year, but did not start playing well until the end of his third year. last year he was a solid tackle, but not a pro-bowler yet.


Some exceptions but not many.

VikesfaninWis
03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Sounds like we have an outside chance of landing Neal.. That would be a good pickup for what we already have. Getting Hutch, and having Birk back healthy, and adding MT. McKinney to the scenario, that is going to be one hell of a improvement to the O-Line right there.. With that line, and having Tony Richardson blocking for him, there is no reason that Chester Taylor can't have over 1,000 yds rushing, and 10 or more TD's..

V-Unit
03-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Given how badly the O-Line played last year I don't think one more addition is that bad of a call. On the other hand there are bigger needs. I'm guessing we pick up a guard in the thrid round.

Del Rio
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I think if Neal falls to us you have to take him.

I have my doubts though. Especially since the Vikings signed Wittle, I have a suspicion he was signed to compete with our other lineman for play time.

V4L
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I hope we make a move for Neal.. As long as he comes for around 1-1.5 mill a year..

Whittle should be a back up.. From what I hear he isn't very good..

Del Rio
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
"He'll compete for a starting job at guard, and he's a really good long snapper, too."

Apparently he passed on another team because he was told that here he would be expected to compete for the starting role.

Who knows maybe they just picked him up with the intention of making him the long snapper.

V4L
03-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Could be about depth too.. We lost Fowler.. Whittle could be good depth and maybe start who knows.. I haven't read anything on him really

josdin00
03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I would also like for us to seriously push for Stephen Neal at RG if he isn't already signed with someone else (anyone know?).

From kffl:

Vikings | Team staying in touch with Neal
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:44:31 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said the team is keeping contact with the agent for free agent OL Steve Neal (Patriots), who visited with the Vikings last week.

Dolphins | Team visits with S. Neal
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:07:30 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins visited with free agent OL Stephen Neal (Patriots) Monday and Tuesday, March 20 and 21. Neal could start at right guard if incumbent OL Rex Hadnot were shifted to center.

Texans | Team to visit with S. Neal
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:43:42 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will visit with free agent OL Stephen Neal (Patriots) Wednesday, March 22.

josdin00
03-22-2006, 07:36 PM
From ESPN Insider:

Full Name: Stephen Neal
Born: October 9, 1976
San Diego, CA
Height: 6-4
Weight: 305 lbs. Age: 29
Pos: OG
Experience: 4 years
College: Cal State Bakersfield

Insider Analysis
Grade 69 (Note: this is the same grade that Insider gave Jason Whittle)

Expert's Take: He lacks the bulk and strength you would like, but his movement skills make up for his shortcomings. He has a good understanding of leverage and plays with a good level of intensity. He is explosive coming off the ball, takes a good first step and takes good angles to his blocks. He shows that he can get to the second level and get to a moving target. He has very good quickness and running ability and he does a good job of pulling on traps and screens. He needs a lot of work and improvement in technique. He is a very good athlete who needs to work on the little things like his base and keeping his head up and locking on with his hands. He has good lateral movement, but does a poor job of picking up stunts and twists because he gets his head down and he lacks anticipation. He can be knocked back into the pocket by the strong bull rush. He is at his best when he can fire out and attack and when he is in space. He has the raw athletic ability to be an outstanding player but he needs to improve his technique. He does not appear to have the versatility to line up anywhere else on the offensive line than at the guard position.

Del Rio
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

From ESPN Insider:

Full Name: Stephen Neal
Born: October 9, 1976
San Diego, CA
Height: 6-4
Weight: 305 lbs. Age: 29
Pos: OG
Experience: 4 years
College: Cal State Bakersfield

Insider Analysis
Grade 69 (Note: this is the same grade that Insider gave Jason Whittle)

Expert's Take: He lacks the bulk and strength you would like, but his movement skills make up for his shortcomings. He has a good understanding of leverage and plays with a good level of intensity. He is explosive coming off the ball, takes a good first step and takes good angles to his blocks. He shows that he can get to the second level and get to a moving target. He has very good quickness and running ability and he does a good job of pulling on traps and screens. He needs a lot of work and improvement in technique. He is a very good athlete who needs to work on the little things like his base and keeping his head up and locking on with his hands. He has good lateral movement, but does a poor job of picking up stunts and twists because he gets his head down and he lacks anticipation. He can be knocked back into the pocket by the strong bull rush. He is at his best when he can fire out and attack and when he is in space. He has the raw athletic ability to be an outstanding player but he needs to improve his technique. He does not appear to have the versatility to line up anywhere else on the offensive line than at the guard position.

Yes Neal is very solid at pulling.

whackthepack
03-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I hope the Vikings do not get in a biding war for him, we have enough people to go into camp with and should be able to find 2 starting lineman out of that group.

DaunteHOF
03-23-2006, 12:04 AM
stephen neal is still on the market, I like marcus johnson. hopefully our o line coach does wonders for the young guys

ultravikingfan
03-23-2006, 12:10 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Yes Neal is very solid at pulling.

So is Cajun! :razz:

Jarlvik2006
03-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Neal at the right price. Eslinger might be a little light for guard, but I'm interested in him as a pulling center, especially in the 3rd round if he makes it that far. I only know what the draftniks and combine reviews have said. I'd like to hear what anyone who had an opportunity to watch him throughout his college career has to say.