PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Controversy

MplsViking
03-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Hey, i was just wondering who you guys think should get the majority of the carries, this year (the whizzinator, MEMO, or Chester?) also i was wonderin if you think we should have a featured back, or have a running back by committee again

whiteviking24
03-20-2006, 12:40 AM
Give Chester the shots and see what he can do, IMO

VikesfaninWis
03-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Th at is what training camp is for.. To see what players excell at what position, especially with this new offense coming in. I personally think that it is Chester Taylor's position to lose. I think that Childress already has him down as the starter, and just waiting to see if anyone steps up and takes it from him.

ultravikingfan
03-20-2006, 01:54 AM
In the end I think it will be Chester getting the call.

Prophet
03-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Childress already said he will develop the playbook based on the strenghs of the personnel (sounds rather obvious, but I'm sure most of us can think of at least one coach that didn't have a keen sense for the obvious). I just don't see Childress giving the job to anyone and letting them keep it if they aren't doing their homework and playing with fire in their eyes for the team. Based on what I've seen of the three RBs you mentioned it appears Chester has the most fire at this point in time. The Whizzinator has proven over and over again that he has other priorities and MeMo had a few glimpses of greatness, but overall he looked very average.

Sure, there are all kinds of reasons we could easily come up with related to MeMos weaknesses, shitty o-line, horrible coaching, injuries, blah, blah, blah, blah. Base on limited information and the current roster, I'm willing to put money down in Vegas that the depth chart on opening day for RBs will be:

Chester
Memo
Fason
Echemandu
Whizzinator

Butchie Wallace is still on the practice squad as far as I know. Even though Childress said he believes in second chances regarding the Whizzinator situation, I'm banking on the Vikings letting him walk. An excerpt from KFFL:
Vikings head coach Brad Childress acknowledged Friday, Feb. 24, that the team is thin in terms of numbers, and the Vikings are not assuming that RB Onterrio Smith, who is serving a one-year suspension, will be back with them in 2006.

I'm fairly confident that the Whizzinator will walk and the Vikings will pick up another RB in FA or in the draft. So, my final vegas-ready depth chart for opening day of '06 is:

Chester
Memo
Fason
A newbie (you can speculate who this will be, I don't feel like it)
Echemandu
Butchie Wallace

I don't see any of the Vikings breaking 1000 yds at this point. I'm guessing they will get 25 carries a game. Call it 'runningback by committee' if you want. I'll call it Childress' version of the WCO based on who we have. I think it will be rare for any one RB to get a 20+ on-the-ground carry game.

YogidAbEAR
03-20-2006, 02:00 AM
i bet they will be splitting the runs between chester and onterio w memo doing punt/kckoff and k.rob taking a bigger role at reciever

SharperVikings
03-20-2006, 02:15 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Th at is what training camp is for.. To see what players excell at what position, especially with this new offense coming in. I personally think that it is Chester Taylor's position to lose. I think that Childress already has him down as the starter, and just waiting to see if anyone steps up and takes it from him.

That's whats awesome! he has to keep the job, so hell have to work hard to prove he deserves it!

OchoCinco
03-20-2006, 02:18 AM
If it's true that Childress and Wilf are cleaning up the team and looking for great "character" players, I agree that Onterrio will be looking for a new zipcode to smoke his bud.

PurplePride80
03-20-2006, 02:30 AM
"gdavikes84" wrote:

, I agree that Onterrio will be looking for a new zipcode to smoke his bud.

^ I don't agree with that.

I think the Vikings will give Onterrio Smith another chance and hope he comes back with a new attitude.

If it was up to me, Onterrio Smith would be our starting running back.

OchoCinco
03-20-2006, 02:48 AM
You may not agree, but if the Vikings agreed they wouldn't have called the current stable "subpar" and they wouldn't have gotten Chester. These aren't Tice's Vikings anymore......

Ltrey33
03-20-2006, 02:50 AM
It's going to be Chester, IMO. They signed him for a reason! MeMo will return punts and give a little time at running back, and I think Onterrio will get the 2nd most carries behind Taylor.

PurpleManiac
03-20-2006, 02:55 AM
I think we will want to start Chester but the real diamond in our backs is Onterrio, can't deny that. The guy is faster and stronger then all our backs, has Memo's vision and can catch just as good as Chester I bet. It's too bad he also likes to roll them joints and get high......

If it as up to me, I'd probably start Chester and mix Onterrio every 5 play or so...get Smith back into the groove and see from there which one does better. Sorry to leave out Memo- I just don't think Mewelde can be an everytime-back right now or in the future.

vikings11_27
03-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Chester taylor - feature back
MeMo - some third down/spell back/punt returner
Ciatrik Fason - short yardage back
Onterrio Smith - No idea. If Childress wants to keep the Whiz then he might get a little bit of chester and memo's carries

singersp
03-20-2006, 03:01 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Childress already said he will develop the playbook based on the strenghs of the personnel....

Without trying to turn this into a DC thread, but if that is true, how could they have already have sent him the playbook he's still developing on a laptop?

I believe the playbook will get put together after Childress gets a chance to view his team in the first minicamp.

Prophet
03-20-2006, 03:14 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Childress already said he will develop the playbook based on the strenghs of the personnel....

Without trying to turn this into a DC thread, but if that is true, how could they have already have sent him the playbook he's still developing on a laptop?

I believe the playbook will get put together after Childress gets a chance to view his team in the first minicamp.

The first round is a skeleton of the basic possible formations and philosophy of the system. The details of the individual plays and frequency of the plays would depend on the personnel. The foundation must be laid before the details can be integrated into the foundation.

cajunvike
03-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Whizz is the most talented...too bad he cares more about the wacky tobacky! :sad:

DiehardVikesFan
03-20-2006, 03:26 AM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

Chester taylor - feature back
MeMo - some third down/spell back/punt returner
Ciatrik Fason - short yardage back
Onterrio Smith - No idea. If Childress wants to keep the Whiz then he might get a little bit of chester and memo's carries

Ciatrick Fason was terrible in short yardage last season. Taylor fits that role much better.

SharperVikings
03-20-2006, 03:57 AM
I agree, whiz is the most talented! But we dont really know what chestor's like....considering we just got him and he has been backing up jamal! I hope onterrio turns around like krob (even though krob's wasnt as bad!), and shows that he was the SOD when ever he was drafted!

V-Unit
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Running back controversy is exactly what this team doesn't need. I have hated it the last two seasons now and I really don't want to see it again. Give Taylor the job and put in MeMo for spell.

olson_10
03-20-2006, 09:20 AM
onterrio smith is the toughest runner we have, and would be best suited in the short yardage/goalline role..taylor is the starter for us, and memo backs him up

raginghelga914
03-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I missed Onterrio this season. Let's hope he can get it together and maybe the team can give him another chance

ChiTownVike
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
We signed Chester for a reason

I still think Fason should get a shot at the starting job

ThaSuperFreak33
03-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Onterrio Smith. As of right now I believe Onterrio is the best RB we have on the team. He screwed up big time but if he can clear his head he is a #1 RB in this league. I never really saw Taylor play that much but when he gets the chance to prove himself he better do it. I really hope Taylor is better than Onterrio but we will have to wait and see.

whackthepack
03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Onterrio may or may not be on the team, it will depend on Childress and the triangle of authority!

The Vikings can not do anything at this time while he is still under suspension, when that is lifted in May we will find out the whizzinator's faith with the Vikings. If I had to place a bet on if he will be here our not? I would place my money on NOT.

Unless Onterrio can prove to Childress that he is a changed man and has taken on a new outlook on life, he is not the kind of player that the new staff has been looking for and so I do not see them changing to fit him in.

Big C
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I think we'll let Onterrio walk.

Chester will start but will get strong competition from Memo during training camp. I'm not sure where Fason will fit in. He's not the short yardage guy we're looking for. I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted an RB in first 2 rounds if there is one that's too good to pass up.

DCPologirl
03-20-2006, 08:18 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Whizz is the most talented...too bad he cares more about the wacky tobacky! :sad:

Maybe he's changed....I really hope he has

AusTexVike
03-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I really hope the Vikings are not looking to dump Smith. He has the potential to be a great back. Even with his limited carries he has shown that. If they do let him go, he'll have a 1,000 yard season somewhere else. Of course, with Taylor, Smith, Moore, and Fason back there things are getting a little crowded.