PDA

View Full Version : Cris Carter: Vikings Considering Trading Up



Ltrey33
03-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Interesting article here by Carter basically saying that the Vikes got the short end of the stick on the Culpepper deal and that Pep makes the Dolphins a much better team. I'm not looking for another Culpepper thread though, so here's the quote that caught my eye...


I recently talked to Brad Childress, Minnesota's new head coach, and he said the Vikings are thinking about possibly moving up and drafting a quarterback. If they do, they'll have Brad Johnson to start the season and can begin to groom their new quarterback for the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhBTG5noePNBfmEMBIqyIPRDubYF?slug=cc-culpepper031406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mr.woo
03-18-2006, 09:07 PM
i hope its jay cutler.

VikesfaninWis
03-18-2006, 09:11 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

i hope its jay cutler.


I would love to get Jay Cutler, however unless he falls to #17 we will have to give up the farm in order to get him. We have to many pressing needs to give up a bunch of draft picks in order to get a QB. Would love to have him though, I said it before, he is going to be a amazing WCO type of QB in the NFL.

RandyMoss8404
03-18-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't want Jay Boller.

He's an overhyped prospect. If we trade up for a QB, we need to get Vince Young or Matt Leinart, you know, players with WINNING PEDIGREES.

jimmymac
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
The next Vikings QB?

http://www.jaycutler.com/

Purple Floyd
03-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Benet
03-18-2006, 09:21 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

The next Vikings QB?

http://www.jaycutler.com/

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

:hiding:

V4L
03-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Awesome..

I'd be happy with either Young, Cutler, Leinart, or Jacobs

Ltrey33
03-18-2006, 09:23 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I don't want Jay Boller.

He's an overhyped prospect. If we trade up for a QB, we need to get Vince Young or Matt Leinart, you know, players with WINNING PEDIGREES.

Why do you say he's overhyped? Have you seen him work out? The guy has a cannon for an arm, pretty good mechanics and put up big numbers in college with very little talent around him. It's not like he just had a big combine either. He has the career numbers to back up his hype. Just because those other guys won more games in college doesn't mean they'll win more in the NFL.

Young is on my "cyanide" list just like he's on Prophet's.

DaunteHOF
03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
No thank you, i'll take omar in 2nd round

Idahovike
03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
If we are going to trade up we should consider this.

If we go Offensive: Either Matt Lienart or Jay Cutler

Defensive: Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk ( If he's not available pick DeMeco Ryans).

audioghost
03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I don't want Jay Boller.

He's an overhyped prospect. If we trade up for a QB, we need to get Vince Young or Matt Leinart, you know, players with WINNING PEDIGREES.

Agreed, if we're gonna trade up, we might as well get one of the "Big 2" Qbs....heck, all the teams who were supposed to draft a QB signed one in the offseason or traded.....

jaymz7
03-18-2006, 09:33 PM
I agree I don't think giving our 1st pick and the 2nd pick we got from Miami is to much to give up to move up and get the QB we want.

Caine
03-18-2006, 09:38 PM
"jaymz7" wrote:

I agree I don't think giving our 1st pick and the 2nd pick we got from Miami is to much to give up to move up and get the QB we want.

Probably going to cost a bit more than that. Remember what the Giants gave up to get Eli?

Caine

gregair13
03-18-2006, 09:46 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

The next Vikings QB?

http://www.jaycutler.com/
haha. that is grand. we should get him. he wouldnt need pads.

ItalianStallion
03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"jaymz7" wrote:

I agree I don't think giving our 1st pick and the 2nd pick we got from Miami is to much to give up to move up and get the QB we want.

Probably going to cost a bit more than that. Remember what the Giants gave up to get Eli?

Caine

We will probably have to trade our first and both seconds. I'm sure that the Giants don't regret the Eli trade though.

ItalianStallion
03-18-2006, 10:03 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.

PackSux!
03-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I think everyone is going to be suprised come draft day, i think the titans will snag up vince at least i hope. But if the ravens dont take a qb then i could see us easily having a chance on Cutler( or lienart if something crazy happens) at the 17th spot. But i would rather see us grab the best middle linebacker that is left in the draft even if cutler is there when we hit the clock.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Everyone is missing the point!!! If we give up two 2nd round picks and our 1st round pick to just get a back up QB (thats what he will be coming into training camp) then how are we going to play a cover 2 with Ben Leber, Sam Cowart, and who ever else we get!!! How much depth is there in the 3rd or 4th round at LB!! We still need atleast 2 more LB to have a good Cover 2 defense!!! LB are what hold the Cover 2 defense together!!! It doesn't matter how good Cutler is or whoever we get, we can't win games unless we have defense!!!!

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 10:53 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.


Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!

aceclown
03-18-2006, 10:56 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Everyone is missing the point!!! If we give up two 2nd round picks and our 1st round pick to just get a back up QB (thats what he will be coming into training camp) then how are we going to play a cover 2 with Ben Leber, Sam Cowart, and who ever else we get!!! How much depth is there in the 3rd or 4th round at LB!! We still need atleast 2 more LB to have a good Cover 2 defense!!! LB are what hold the Cover 2 defense together!!! It doesn't matter how good Cutler is or whoever we get, we can't win games unless we have defense!!!!

Well for starters Cowart isnt on the roster right now. Linebackbackers are important to the defense like you say, but are much more dispensable than a top 5 quarterback. In our cover 2, Im putting my money on Dontarrious Thomas, EJ, and Leber to be the starters. Thomas has had a lot of brain farts, and dont really like him, but he is tremendously athletically gifted and has the speed to run with a lot of WRs. Again, it is much easier to find good linebackers than it is to find a top prospect QB.

Benet
03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!

Er.. Are you saying the Steelers would have won the Superbowl without Roethlisburger?

Because that's being incredibly naive. Look at how the Steelers played with Tommy Maddox when he started during Roethlisburger's absence.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:05 PM
I do agree with your pick on Dontarrious Thomas but E.J. HENDERSON!!! He was almost as bad as Napoleon Harris last year!!! He shouldn't even be on the team!!! I rather Chad Greenway or another LB and have Brad Johnson MANAGE the team!!! We don't need a hotshot QB in the westcoast offense!!! Look at Matt Hasselback, nobody cared who he was before the season but as soon as they made it to the playoffs he looked like a GOD!! But that was due in part to Shaun Alexander, but lets not go into that!!! Do you think Matt Hasselback is a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady??? Both those teams didn't make it to the Super Bowl!! I wonder why?!? OH Yeah, they didn't have a good enough defense!!! Manning is an awesome QB!!! Tom Brady has wone 3 Super Bowls!!! But look at Seattle, they had a GOOD QB and had an awesome defense!!! Look who they had at starting LB, o yes a rookie!!! Lofa Tutupu did an awesome job this season!!! I think if we have a GOOD QB and bulk up that defense then we will have a great season!!!

PS my bad on that Sam Cowart comment, wasn't paying attention!!!

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:07 PM
"Benet" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!

Er.. Are you saying the Steelers would have won the Superbowl without Roethlisburger?

Because that's being incredibly naive. Look at how the Steelers played with Tommy Maddox when he started during Roethlisburger's absence.


No No i like Ben Roethlisburger, but what was more important in the Super Bowl this season a QB or a Defense!!! I do remember Randle El throwing a TD!!! :wink: :grin:

VikingsTw
03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

I do agree with your pick on Dontarrious Thomas but E.J. HENDERSON!!! He was almost as bad as Napoleon Harris last year!!! He shouldn't even be on the team!!! I rather Chad Greenway or another LB and have Brad Johnson MANAGE the team!!! We don't need a hotshot QB in the westcoast offense!!! Look at Matt Hasselback, nobody cared who he was before the season but as soon as they made it to the playoffs he looked like a GOD!! But that was due in part to Shaun Alexander, but lets not go into that!!! Do you think Matt Hasselback is a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady??? Both those teams didn't make it to the Super Bowl!! I wonder why?!? OH Yeah, they didn't have a good enough defense!!! Manning is an awesome QB!!! Tom Brady has wone 3 Super Bowls!!! But look at Seattle, they had a GOOD QB and had an awesome defense!!! Look who they had at starting LB, o yes a rookie!!! Lofa Tutupu did an awesome job this season!!! I think if we have a GOOD QB and bulk up that defense then we will have a great season!!!

PS my bad on that Sam Cowart comment, wasn't paying attention!!!

I think you got it mixed up, EJ played good last year, dontarious played like a scrub.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:10 PM
EJ did do good last year, if you are comparing him to his previous season!!! In my mind all our LB did a sub par job this season, but we can't cut everybody and get a whole new LB so we have to keep some of them!!! I just don't think EJ is that good of player!!!

ItalianStallion
03-18-2006, 11:11 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.


Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!

Without Ben Roethlisberger, they don't win the superbowl, plain and simple. You can say what you want about his stats or whatnot but if you watch the guy play, he is a big part of why they win. There is a reason they have such a great record with him as their starter and have had a bad record without him, and before they drafted him.

Also before you go saying we need all these linebackers and lineman, you need to understand that the gamble AND learning curve is just a big as with a top QB. What lineman do you suggest we draft that would be better than the starters we have (assuming we get hutch)? At the very least know what linebackers we have on the team. SAm Cowart is no longer on the team. E.J. played well last year and is probably ready to take over the middle again. We have Leber, who even though I disagree, the management has essential pencilled in as SAM. THerefore that leaves uss with WILL that can be addressed in FA (Peterson, Arrington etc.) or DT. Even if you don't like DT, he has lots of potential and with good coaching could be a great player. Even if you disagree with that, look at our QBs. We have a 37 year old and JT O'Sullivan. Even if you do believe that we can still win a Superbowl with them and a good defense, I doubt any rookie would be able to contribute significantly to that "great" defense.

magicci
03-18-2006, 11:13 PM
i think omar will be our future. he has the tools, he just needs to be groomed and i think he could be an all-star in this league.

VikingsTw
03-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I think EJ's gonna be a beast of LB in the NFL. His improvement over the past three years is solid, last year he played healthy and played well at a position he never played before. A very young LB who has had a couple different cordinators. Alot of the good LB's never really came out and played well intill they a had 3rd or 4th years of experience under there belt.

I look for EJ to have a solid year this year, we'll see.

COJOMAY
03-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Any QB that comes out of the draft is a question mark. You've seen it happen time and time again -- trade up and get a QB that's a bust. I don't want to give away three draft picks for a gamble.
If Omar falls to us at 17 I'd consider it if we get Hutch. But if Hutch don't get him, we need to work on the offensive line and linebackers. Brad will get killed with OL we have now in MYHO.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
WOW!! where to begin!!! Ben Roethlisburger did O.K. in the superbowl but the story of the game was the defense!!! Compare E.J. stats to his previous season's stats and you will see that he did IMPROVE!! But did he really improve a whole lot to be named a starting MLB!!! I would love to see Arrington with us but it doesn't look like we have the time to go after him with the Hutch problem!!! If we do get Hutch though i say we look to FA and get the Tackle Detroit released and put him at right tackle, Mckinnie at the other, Hutch at left guard, Birk at center (hopefull), and Marcus Johnson at right guard!!! Johnson can also be moved out to tackle but i think he is better inside!!! I never said DT was bad, i think he is good, i wouldn't mind him playing, but like you suggested their are better fish in the sea (FA). I do see that we have a problem at QB, but i think we can get Brode Croyle or somebody else in the second round with one of our 2 picks!!! With us completely rebuilding this team (offensively and defensively) i think our Draft picks are too valuable to move up and take a QB, who we are not sure will even start, when we can get a QB that can come in learn the scheme and be a good backup!! I rather us take the chance and risk our first pick on a LB rather than a QB!!! We need a LB more than a QB!!

ItalianStallion
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Any QB that comes out of the draft is a question mark. You've seen it happen time and time again -- trade up and get a QB that's a bust. I don't want to give away three draft picks for a gamble.
If Omar falls to us at 17 I'd consider it if we get Hutch. But if Hutch don't get him, we need to work on the offensive line and linebackers. Brad will get killed with OL we have now in MYHO.

ANYONE who comes out of the draft is a question mark. Brad will get killed even worse with rookie linemen starting, and you will get just as many if not more mental mistake with a rookie LB as you will with DT or EJ.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Do remember that we are using the West coast offense that means we don't need a high powered arm who can bomb it deep to Troy Williamson all the time!! We are becoming a run first team!! We hand off to Chester, hand off to Chester, work over the middle to a TE or WR!! If that works, and i mean if it is successful then maybe we take a chance down field and hope for the best!!! We are not the high flying team that we were with Daunte and Randy!!! We are becoming more conservative and more of a possesion team!!!

damien927
03-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't think we should trade up to get a qb, as it would be too expensive in this rebuilding time. IF Cutler should fall to #17 for some reason, I say take him. Yes, it is always a risk going after a top QB prospect, but it is at any position. We can then use both of our 2nd rd picks to shore up LB and OL. I still think they should go after Julian Petersen. We have the money, with or without hutch, and it would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I read somewhere that it sometimes takes a year or two to fully recover from an achilles tear and that may be the reason that Petersen didn't play up to par last year. If Cutler isn't there at #17(most likely), then go after Ryan Sims or Chad Greenway.

Just Curious???? Why is everyone so high on Omar Jacobs all of a sudden?m From watching the combine everyone sadi he was the 6th (maybe) best QB in this draft behind Leinart, Young, Cutler, Croyle, Whitehurst. Not attacking anyone, just curious.

ItalianStallion
03-18-2006, 11:44 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Do remember that we are using the West coast offense that means we don't need a high powered arm who can bomb it deep to Troy Williamson all the time!! We are becoming a run first team!! We hand off to Chester, hand off to Chester, work over the middle to a TE or WR!! If that works, and i mean if it is successful then maybe we take a chance down field and hope for the best!!! We are not the high flying team that we were with Daunte and Randy!!! We are becoming more conservative and more of a possesion team!!!

Since when does the WCO make us a run first team? I think Leinart would be an excellent fit for the WCO, because of his accuracy, ability to read a defense and his quick release.

Prophet
03-18-2006, 11:45 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Interesting article here by Carter basically saying that the Vikes got the short end of the stick on the Culpepper deal and that Pep makes the Dolphins a much better team. I'm not looking for another Culpepper thread though, so here's the quote that caught my eye...


I recently talked to Brad Childress, Minnesota's new head coach, and he said the Vikings are thinking about possibly moving up and drafting a quarterback. If they do, they'll have Brad Johnson to start the season and can begin to groom their new quarterback for the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhBTG5noePNBfmEMBIqyIPRDubYF?slug=cc-culpepper031406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That's what Childress said to the press four days ago too.


Vikings | Childress does not rule out trading up in the NFL Draft
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:59:12 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress did not rule out packaging several draft picks, they now own the 17th, 48th and 51st picks, to move up in the first round and select one of the draft's three premier quarterbacks: USC's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler. "You look at all those eventualities and see if you feel like there is something," Childress said.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:52 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Do remember that we are using the West coast offense that means we don't need a high powered arm who can bomb it deep to Troy Williamson all the time!! We are becoming a run first team!! We hand off to Chester, hand off to Chester, work over the middle to a TE or WR!! If that works, and i mean if it is successful then maybe we take a chance down field and hope for the best!!! We are not the high flying team that we were with Daunte and Randy!!! We are becoming more conservative and more of a possesion team!!!

Since when does the WCO make us a run first team? I think Leinart would be an excellent fit for the WCO, because of his accuracy, ability to read a defense and his quick release.


When has the WCO not been a run first offense!!! West coast offense has been about running the ball, and getting quick, short gained passes!!! Why do you think Seattle was so effective!! Who did they give the ball to all the time, Joe Jurevicious??!!? I dont think so, WCO is a run first team!!! Why were so hard pressed to find a RB first thing in FA, was it because we were thinking we would be able to use Leinart's arm strength to throw down field to our running backs?!? Come on, WCO has and always will be a run first team!!!

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-18-2006, 11:56 PM
being able to make quick reads is THE biggest asset a WCO Qb can have, What is Brad Johnson inept?? i remember making plays last year with a ruined offensive line!!! That's all he had to do was make quick, decisive passes!!!

ItalianStallion
03-19-2006, 12:00 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Do remember that we are using the West coast offense that means we don't need a high powered arm who can bomb it deep to Troy Williamson all the time!! We are becoming a run first team!! We hand off to Chester, hand off to Chester, work over the middle to a TE or WR!! If that works, and i mean if it is successful then maybe we take a chance down field and hope for the best!!! We are not the high flying team that we were with Daunte and Randy!!! We are becoming more conservative and more of a possesion team!!!

Since when does the WCO make us a run first team? I think Leinart would be an excellent fit for the WCO, because of his accuracy, ability to read a defense and his quick release.


When has the WCO not been a run first offense!!! West coast offense has been about running the ball, and getting quick, short gained passes!!! Why do you think Seattle was so effective!! Who did they give the ball to all the time, Joe Jurevicious??!!? I dont think so, WCO is a run first team!!! Why were so hard pressed to find a RB first thing in FA, was it because we were thinking we would be able to use Leinart's arm strength to throw down field to our running backs?!? Come on, WCO has and always will be a run first team!!!

From Wikiepdia.org:

"The West Coast Offense is more of a philosophy and an approach to the game than it is a set of plays or formations. "Traditional' offensive thinking argues that a team must establish their running game first, which will draw the defense in and open up passing lanes downfield. The West Coast Offense, on the contrary, stipulates that a defense must first be stretched with a short, horizontal passing attack that features sharp, precisely-run pass patterns by the receivers and quick, 3-step and 5-step drops by the Quarterback . This 'stretching' will then open up running lanes for the backs to exploit. This will, in theory, make the offense's play calling unpredictable, which makes a defense play 'honest' because most down and distance situations can be attacked with the pass or run in the West Coast Offense. Beyond this basic principle of passing to set up the run (not vice versa), there are few rules that govern the WCO."

The reason we went for Chester Taylor rather than Jamal is because Chester is a better pass catcher. Just because some teams that run variations of the WCO have great rushers doesn't mean the "run first". Didn't the agles pass slike 70% of the time last year? Who was to offensive coordinator of the Eagles?...Oh right.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Oh my bad, we are a run second team!!! I must have got my info wrong!! Dang, i should have checked Wikipedia.com, they are awesome!!! LOL!!! Who did the Eagles have at WR?!? Oh yeah, i forgot, it was TO, he is just the second best receiver in the NFL (maybe)!! What happened to them after they lost TO!!! Oh yeah, they sucked it up!!! Without establishing the run with Westbrook, then the opposing defense just blitzed and blitzed and blitzed!! WCO in my mind and most coaches see it as a run first team!!! Yes, the ultimate goal is to get into a passing rythem but without the run you are nothing!!! SO unless we get a WR like TO or Randy Moss decides to come back, we will be a run first team!!!

ItalianStallion
03-19-2006, 12:15 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

Oh my bad, we are a run second team!!! I must have got my info wrong!! Dang, i should have checked Wikipedia.com, they are awesome!!! LOL!!! Who did the Eagles have at WR?!? Oh yeah, i forgot, it was TO, he is just the second best receiver in the NFL (maybe)!! What happened to them after they lost TO!!! Oh yeah, they sucked it up!!! Without establishing the run with Westbrook, then the opposing defense just blitzed and blitzed and blitzed!! WCO in my mind and most coaches see it as a run first team!!! Yes, the ultimate goal is to get into a passing rythem but without the run you are nothing!!! SO unless we get a WR like TO or Randy Moss decides to come back, we will be a run first team!!!

Actually the Eagles started doing terrible after they lost Donovan, not TO. Maybe when you pass the ball as much as you do in the WCO it makes sense to have a good QB?

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-19-2006, 12:19 AM
OK, it was a combination of both losing McNabb and TO but the WCO isn't a major passing scheme!!! But you are right, having a good QB does help when you do go down deep for big TDs!!! But Troy Williamson hasn't shown enough to be named the deep threat everybody figured he would be so that isn't a problem with the Vikings... right now!!

ejmat
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
You need a smart QB, a decent running game and WRs with good hands and speed. That's your basic WCO. OL is important for the running attack but remember most passes are very quick and short.

mnjamie
03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Interesting article here by Carter basically saying that the Vikes got the short end of the stick on the Culpepper deal and that Pep makes the Dolphins a much better team. I'm not looking for another Culpepper thread though, so here's the quote that caught my eye...


I recently talked to Brad Childress, Minnesota's new head coach, and he said the Vikings are thinking about possibly moving up and drafting a quarterback. If they do, they'll have Brad Johnson to start the season and can begin to groom their new quarterback for the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhBTG5noePNBfmEMBIqyIPRDubYF?slug=cc-culpepper031406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns


It's just Carter selling advertising for HBO. I hate that damn show he's on ...

**Yackity, Yack, Yack ....*** Just media garbage from a wanna-be analyst.

vikingsbenchwarmer
03-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Best solution, give up two draft picks as a package (#48,51) to get a top nodge QB

collegeguyjeff
03-19-2006, 01:55 AM
personally i don't want any of the "big 3" qb's but thats up to the management to decide and our opinions don't matter.

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-19-2006, 03:07 AM
"vikingsbenchwarmer" wrote:

Best solution, give up two draft picks as a package (#48,51) to get a top nodge QB


You should read through the rest of the posts so you can see the arguments that have already been posted!!! I am tired of arguing about this so just re read everything then come back and say something new!!!

Ltrey33
03-19-2006, 03:11 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

personally i don't want any of the "big 3" qb's but thats up to the management to decide and our opinions don't matter.

It's a good thing they don't too. I have a feeling that if they did what we said all the time our team would be MUCH worse than it is.

Purple Floyd
03-19-2006, 05:52 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.


Yes, he was a first rounder, but not the top pick. Hes was the third QB taken in that draft behind Eli Manning and David Rivers and I like him alot. That was actually part of my point that you can get great QB's farther down. I would much rather have him than either Eli, Rivers or many of the guys that were the top picks in these drafts. look at how many top 2 QB picks won a SB.


http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/QB

umaguma1979
03-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I dont see the Vikes trading up to take anyone in this draft. BJ still can play with the right support for a couple years. In addition, there are still some mediocre FAs out there that will suffice.

fourdoorchevelle
03-19-2006, 06:13 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

.............

Yes, he was a first rounder, but not the top pick. Hes was the third QB taken in that draft behind Eli Manning and David Rivers and I like him alot. That was actually part of my point that you can get great QB's farther down. I would much rather have him than either Eli, Rivers or many of the guys that were the top picks in these drafts. look at how many top 2 QB picks won a SB.


http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/QB



David Rivers??????
if we could get a top 3 Qb with the draft pick it took to get david rivers then i'll be very happy!!!! :lol:


http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=7157















i'm sure u mean philip??

Purple Floyd
03-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Yes, sorry lol

Since 1982, of the top 2 QB's taken in every draft, only 3 have ever won a SB. McMahon,Elway and Aikman.


I like Lienart and Cutler. If they get either of them I woun't be upset, but I wouldn't bundle picks to get them. There is more than likely a SB QB father down in the draft if he is put around the right team and coaching staff.

ItalianStallion
03-19-2006, 07:46 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.


Yes, he was a first rounder, but not the top pick. Hes was the third QB taken in that draft behind Eli Manning and David Rivers and I like him alot. That was actually part of my point that you can get great QB's farther down. I would much rather have him than either Eli, Rivers or many of the guys that were the top picks in these drafts. look at how many top 2 QB picks won a SB.


http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/QB

Sorry but you can't convince me that Ben wasn't a highly touted "Franchise QB" coming out of college. I remember that draft and Ben was being touted a the 2nd best (and occasionally better than Eli) qb in the draft. The only reason he got drafted so low is because Al Davis and AJ SMith are retarded and nobody past the #4 slot needed a QB till the Steelers. Coming out of college, the majority of scouts were saying that he should have been drafted by the Raiders or Cardinals.

snowinapril
03-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Brodie Croyle 2nd round!!!!!!

BTW, I am not surprise that CC said that the Dolphins got the better of it, he is a DC lover. He was all pro DC the week leading up to the superbowl.

snowinapril
03-19-2006, 07:54 AM
PHILLIP rivers!!!!!!

Yes, Ben was disappointed he didn't go earlier. Him and his agent thought that they were going to get picked up way before Pitt. I remember an interview where he stated the teams, I just don't remember who they were. I think that Italian is right about the Cards and Raiders.

sirweeze
03-19-2006, 08:27 AM
This is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. The Vikings would be nuts to give up three picks to get one guy. There's a LOT of talent to be had out there this year.

I'd be more than happy with drafting a guy like Brodie Croyle in the later rounds, or just sticking with Brad and another veteran as a backup and drafting someone next year.

Benet
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
"sirweeze" wrote:

This is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. The Vikings would be nuts to give up three picks to get one guy. There's a LOT of talent to be had out there this year.

That's the key to all this. Last year's draft was widely thought of being quite thin, especially at the top. But this year is STACKED with players who are highly regarded at every position.

(I'd still like us to draft Eslinger and put him at Guard between Birk and Johnson, but that's just me. :grin:)

NordicNed
03-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Personally,

I like the way we sit right now with our 3 picks in the top 51 pics.

I really believe there are some gems for QB sitting in the wings and one of them will still be there with our early second round pic.

I've said it before, I'de like to see us go after Charlie Whitehurst out of Clemson

I think we should use or #17 pic (first round) on a LB. Should still be some great potential LB'ers still there to grab...

I've seen to many early 1st round draft pics become flops to really belive in trading up....

Basicaly, you should just wait your turn and take the best potential player at the position you want to fill, then keep your fingers crossed they can adapt and perform at the Pro Level.....

Purple Floyd
03-19-2006, 03:43 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.

Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.



Yes, he was a first rounder, but not the top pick. Hes was the third QB taken in that draft behind Eli Manning and David Rivers and I like him alot. That was actually part of my point that you can get great QB's farther down. I would much rather have him than either Eli, Rivers or many of the guys that were the top picks in these drafts. look at how many top 2 QB picks won a SB.


http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/positions/QB

Sorry but you can't convince me that Ben wasn't a highly touted "Franchise QB" coming out of college. I remember that draft and Ben was being touted a the 2nd best (and occasionally better than Eli) qb in the draft. The only reason he got drafted so low is because Al Davis and AJ SMith are Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd and nobody past the #4 slot needed a QB till the Steelers. Coming out of college, the majority of scouts were saying that he should have been drafted by the Raiders or Cardinals.

I am not trying to convince you of anything related to Big Ben other than he was the third QB taken and that I feel he is better than the top 2 taken that year. I am assuming we are in agreement there. I also remember last year how highly rated Aaron Rodgers was and he slipped to the 24 pick.No telling yet if that was a steal. If Lienart or Cutler were around with the 17 pick, I would take them in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't package my second round picks together with my first round pick to move up to get either one of them when we can get a quality QB at the 17 spot and a good LB and OL with the other 2

Jarlvik2006
03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I vote to stay at 17 and see which of the talented LB's (or Safetys) are available.
#1 Young- no way. We might as well have stuck with Pepp. Physically talented, but not a "thinker".
#2 Leinert- Possibly- but not worth taking us out of play for defensive help.
#3 Cutler- VERY tough call. Smells like a milder, more polite version of Ryan Leaf. I could be way wrong. This is why I drink, pull my hair out, and lose sleep.
#4 Omar- Another question mark, but I watched him tear up the Badgers (but eventually lose) by spreading the ball around. Indicates he has patience and vision. I would not be afraid to take a chance with a 2nd round pick. Anyone know what his Wonderlic was? Could be great if given time to grow.

BBQ Platypus
03-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.

ItalianStallion
03-19-2006, 08:29 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.

What is wrong with Macus Johnson playing RT, and Rosenthal backing him up? If we get Hutch our line is set.

canadian_vikes_fan
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.

What is wrong with Macus Johnson playing RT, and Rosenthal backing him up? If we get Hutch our line is set.I'd rather see Johnson playing right guard for two reasons - I think personally that he's a MUCH better guard than tackel - from what I saw, he seemed overwhelmed at tackle and didn't play nearly as well. Also, I don't really think we have another very good guard. Maybe Liwienski can return to form, or maybe he can't. I'd rather have a true tackle drafted and get him ready for a couple years down the road.

But I agree with you about Hutch. Either way, our line will be much MUCH better if Hutch comes to Minnesota.

ItalianStallion
03-19-2006, 08:38 PM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.

What is wrong with Macus Johnson playing RT, and Rosenthal backing him up? If we get Hutch our line is set.I'd rather see Johnson playing right guard for two reasons - I think personally that he's a MUCH better guard than tackel - from what I saw, he seemed overwhelmed at tackle and didn't play nearly as well. Also, I don't really think we have another very good guard. Maybe Liwienski can return to form, or maybe he can't. I'd rather have a true tackle drafted and get him ready for a couple years down the road.

But I agree with you about Hutch. Either way, our line will be much MUCH better if Hutch comes to Minnesota.

Marcus Johnson is better suited to play tackle even if he is currently more comfortable playing guard. I don't tink he has the lower body strength to be a great guard and he has long arms and good use of hands in pass protection, which makes him a better fit for tackle. I am comfortable that one of Liwenski, Goldberg, Whittle or Herrara can show up and be a solid starter for us next year.

The biggest knock I hear about moving up to take a QB is that we have needs at OL and LB, but nobody seems to realize that those players need to brought along almost as slowly as a QB and that there is not a very good chance that they could make significant contributions their rookie year anyway.