PDA

View Full Version : RB Situation

Wiggles67
03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know exactly where the coaching staff is going with our Running back situation?

I dont mind the Chester Taylor sign this off season but is he really being brought in as our definate #1 back? He is an unproven back in the league and right now I view him as an average back, along the same lines as MeMo and Bennett. We dont need a stable of average backs, the running back by committee rarely works in the NFL and I really hope this is not the direction of the organization.

And has anyone heard anything about Onterrio Smith? I know he is a FA this year but have the Vikings and him been talking or has he been talking to any other teams?

I guess I am just looking for some clarifaction as to if the team has come out and said they are happy with the RB's they now have or if they are still considering taking a RB with our first pick in the draft?

Prophet
03-14-2006, 06:16 PM
As far as I know there is no word other than what we've heard in the past. Taylor is in, Bennett is gone, Memo is in, Onterrio Smith gets a chance (based on Wilf's acceptance speech), Fason & Echemandu are question marks. No info. in other words.

alberta_vike
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd be surprised if they still took a RB with their first round pick. I think that between Taylor and Moore we are pretty good at running back. Both of them fit the WCO pretty well because they can make alot of receptions as well as running the ball well. I'm more worried about having a really good O-Line to block for them, and if Hutchinson is signed then the Vikes will look pretty good at that position too.

VikesfaninWis
03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I think with this signing of Taylor, all arrows point to him being our starter. He is a very good WCO back, and that is what Childress is looking for.. He has alot of the same traits as Brian Westbrook, and a overall good fit for the new offense.

As far as Smith goes, I am just as much in the dark as everyone else is regarding him. All I know is that he is suspended until May 1, 2006, No team, including the Vikings can have contact with him regarding a contract until then. We are getting pretty crowded at this point with RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades, or cuts..

Prophet
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
The signing of Goodspeed as a proven blocker offers some clues to the labyrinth of secrecy too. I agree, the RB situation is probably under control unless a decent RB falls to #17 in the draft.

========================

The TE will be used more in this offense, no big surprise, but it will be fun to see

Added later, a little old but gives a little to go on rather than pure speculation.

================

KFFL
Vikings | Kleinsasser could be productive in offense
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:43:28 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports that Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress feels that the offense could be productive for the tight end position, specifically TE Jim Kleinsasser. "I like his level of toughness," Childress said of Kleinsasser. "He's obviously proven that he can play on the line of scrimmage. There are all kinds of throws in this offense for tight ends. ... He surely has the ability to work zones. So I think he'll end elevating his game, and I think this would be a tight-end-friendly offense."

whackthepack
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
The Vikes have scheduled Henderson the full back from GB for a try out or meeting.

DCPologirl
03-14-2006, 07:39 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I think with this signing of Taylor, all arrows point to him being our starter. He is a very good WCO back, and that is what Childress is looking for.. He has alot of the same traits as Brian Westbrook, and a overall good fit for the new offense.

As far as Smith goes, I am just as much in the dark as everyone else is regarding him. All I know is that he is suspended until May 1, 2006, No team, including the Vikings can have contact with him regarding a contract until then. We are getting pretty crowded at this point with RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades, or cuts..

Taylor will be our starter agreed .

wyorob
03-14-2006, 07:41 PM
C'mon guys Taylor is not what we need, neither is any of the other backs we have. There has to be better out there for us ...Man it pisses me off!!

wyorob
03-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Denny green went out and got some balance and stole James from anyone else, we have a lot to offer a good back why dont we get on it. Childres might be wishing daunte stays and use him as a running type QB like in Phili. This is not Phili damn it!!

alberta_vike
03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Denny green went out and got some balance and stole James from anyone else, we have a lot to offer a good back why dont we get on it. Childres might be wishing daunte stays and use him as a running type QB like in Phili. This is not Phili gol 'darnit it!!

Since when did Denny Green doing something mean it was the right thing to do? Just because Taylor is not as big a name as James does not mean he can't be productive for us. We can't always sign the most recognized and expensive player on the market, and it would be stupid to do so when there are less expensive players that have just as much potential to do well.

whackthepack
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
I do not think that James is going to have the same type of production if Arizona's line stay the same! And if the Vikes get Hutch and another guard and with a line of McKinney, Hutch, Birk, ?, Johnson (will be much better with real coaches) I think that Taylor has a break out year and we are looking at 1200 yards rushing. If we do not get Hutch and the line is the same as we had last year, without new guards 800 to 900 yards at the most!

The only way we will know for sure, is at the end of next season!

Cagey_Fan
03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
I believe Chester Taylor was a good pickup, he should do well with the Vikes and i also believe the coaching staff has the situation under control, and remember not all big name backs worked well for the Vikes. Herschal Walker remember him folks, we gave up alot for him.

PAvikesfan
03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
chester taylor is going to be fine. with hutch even better. yes taylor was a back-up so far but he had some good games with limited play time.

and i think childress is happy daunte is gone. i also think he is having a sigh of relief that he no longer has a QB that scrambles too much, holds onto the ball too long like daunte and donavon. he finally has a QB that will get rid of the ball fast and accurate. childress is very happy at this point. everything he has done so far has lead to building a stronger WCO.

i think once the hutch thing is finished and we have him, we will have all the tools to run a great offense. great TE's, a blocking FB, strong Oline, accurate QB, and decent WR's and running game. i definately like what childress has done so far.

re-signing Krob and Offord to boot. Offord is going to be our starting other safety if need be and i am confortable with that.

whackthepack
03-14-2006, 10:42 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

chester taylor is going to be fine. with hutch even better. yes taylor was a back-up so far but he had some good games with limited play time.

and i think childress is happy daunte is gone. i also think he is having a sigh of relief that he no longer has a QB that scrambles too much, holds onto the ball too long like daunte and donavon. he finally has a QB that will get rid of the ball fast and accurate. childress is very happy at this point. everything he has done so far has lead to building a stronger WCO.

i think once the hutch thing is finished and we have him, we will have all the tools to run a great offense. great TE's, a blocking FB, strong Oline, accurate QB, and decent WR's and running game. i definately like what childress has done so far.

re-signing Krob and Offord to boot. Offord is going to be our starting other safety if need be and i am confortable with that.

Offford was playing well before he was injured, I hope he can come back healthy! but I would like to see us get another safety, and we need a nickel back!

olson_10
03-14-2006, 10:52 PM
we NEED NEED NEED NEED another CB (mcquarters is off the market)..we need another safety (demps, milloy) because offord is a better than average backup/special teamer, but only a decent starter..as for RB, onterrio smith can steal the starting job back if he comes to camp in shape and ready to play, otherwise i have confidence in taylor becoming a big time back

stjmnsota
03-14-2006, 11:48 PM
I agree. I think the running back position is very weak yet. Can be production if they level out the O line, but the vikes need more than a handful of 210 lb backs. I don't know what Taylor is capable of, but I bet he doesn't offer much more than Moore or Bennett. If the case is made on a stronger O line, then why not keep Bennett? We know he can have good games behind an o line and his speed is unmatched. And I am no great Bennett fan, but the point I am trying to make is let's go get a power back for some change up.

vikings11_27
03-14-2006, 11:52 PM
We got Taylor because he can catch out of the backfield which is crucial in a WCO, plus he can block pretty good and he is supposed to be pretty physical for his size

stjmnsota
03-14-2006, 11:56 PM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

We got Taylor because he can catch out of the backfield which is crucial in a WCO, plus he can block pretty good and he is supposed to be pretty physical for his size
So in your opinion, he will be a quality back for the Vikes? He fits our plan nicely, better than the backs we have? I have no idea myself.

KirillDM
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
If we still had tice as head coach I would Guerantee we would draft a RB in the 4th round...but since we dont I think we will stick witht he roation we got now for this year