PDA

View Full Version : Interview with new Vikings

T-Money
03-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Here is an inteview found on Vikings.com on the newest Vikings

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_FreeAgencyPC31106.html

i_bleed_purple
03-12-2006, 06:54 AM
i read that too. I was gonna post it but i figured someone else already did. From what it says it looks like Longwell wasn't really too thrilled with the packers. i mean you don't just really want to play for you biggest rival.

MensaTice
03-12-2006, 06:58 AM
This is my favorite quote: "If they're good players and we have an interest, we're probably going to get them in here."

I love the way Childress conducts himself. I love that we have an owner willing to spend. And most of all I love that we have have Rob Brzezinski. Because of Rob, we are about to have a good offseason in free agency for the third straight year. Possibly the second consecutive moster free agency spending spree with great players. Come on Hutch!

PurpleMafia
03-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, Longwell seemed a little bit "too exited" to be joining the rival of his ex team. lol

I think he will be big for us. Maybe not the distance Edinger gave us, but definatly the clutch kicking on grass and not just turf.

COJOMAY
03-12-2006, 07:04 AM
I think this one question and answer sums up what the Vikings are going to be all about.

Q: This is the most activity on the first day of free agency for this team in a long time. Are you sending a message that this is the direction the organization is going?
A: Well I just think that our philosophy in free agency will always be to supplement places where we have needs. One thing about all these guys is that they're good people. They're good players, first of all, or they wouldn't be standing up here, but they're good people, and that's going to be important as we go along here. We know exactly what we're getting from a character standpoint. Good players that are good people have a chance to win a lot of games.

And you could see some of that aspect in the answers the players gave.

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Longwell was one of the top three kickers available this season, and we got him. That has to be looked at as a success.. He will be clutch for us. He did the things he did at Lambeau, imagine what he will do in a dome?

I always use to razz my fiance's family, and call him Shortwell. All of a sudden, I am at a restraunt tonight and it says the Vikings sign Ryan Longwell to a 5 year contract. We were in Green Bay eating, you should have heard all the whiny Packer fans when they read that..

ultravikingfan
03-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Nice!

I am excited and very optimistic about him!

t_13
03-12-2006, 07:18 AM
did anyone else notice that both leber and longwell answered the question "Was it easier or more difficult to come to a team that's in a transition like the Vikings are?" exactly the same, word for word? kinda odd..

MensaTice
03-12-2006, 07:26 AM
I noticed that but I couldn't find audio so I assume that it was a mistake by whoever posted the article on the vikes website. If it turns out that they really did say it the same word for word, that is beyond odd. At least it will show some serious control of his players by Childress, something that the last two coaches never had :wink:

t_13
03-12-2006, 07:28 AM
lol

gregair13
03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
i dont care how excited he is as long as he kicks the ball between the huge space between the two yellow posts.

NordicNed
03-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Nice read,

I really enjoy reading what the players and coaches have to say about new hires.......

From what I'm hearing and what I have read, Taylor may just be one of those diamonds that was hidden from the light. We need that every down back, and sounds like Childress believes he can be that someone..

Leber,

Besides the injury, he was bumped out of a playing position by a high paid rookie, who the team couldn't let just sit on the bench.....This is the pick so far that I'm most concerned about, I don't mean that in a bad way, just i don't know enough about him. I'll have to see how he contributes in the off-season, training camp, and game time....Sounds like Childress belives in him and he believes in himself. Hopefully he is an upgrade at whatever LB position he starts at..

Longwell,

I think just by moving to an indoor stadium he will be even better than before. Just read his interview, and you get the feeling we got a kicker who's ready to do his job and do it well.

singersp
03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
03/12/2006

Vermillion Native Leber Excited About Chance With Vikings

Full Story (http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2819.cfm?Id=0,46673)

triedandtruevikesfan
03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
It took me quite a long time to warm up to Sharper, but he came in and really produced for us, I'm gonna hold out on Longwell until he can also prove that he's not here to ruin us!

shawn9876uss
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I am very happy when we can take anything from the packers. HAHAHA

DCPologirl
03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Um I have obviously missed something....why did we get a kicker?

singersp
03-13-2006, 08:34 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Edinger is a FA & they chose to sign Longwell instead.

DCPologirl
03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

In your opinion is he better?

ultravikingfan
03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

I rate them as even.

singersp
03-14-2006, 12:50 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

Eh, about the same. I was happy with Edinger, but if Longwell has a better year than last, we could prove to be better.

Guruzen
03-14-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm a little skeptical ... the packers let him go for a reason, and with so few dependable kickers around I would have thought Longwell would be money well spent.

I for one would prefer Edinger based purely on that 56 yard FG against the Pack! :)

cc21
03-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Pretty cool stuff.

cogitans
03-14-2006, 01:15 AM
"Guruzen" wrote:

I'm a little skeptical ... the packers let him go for a reason, and with so few dependable kickers around I would have thought Longwell would be money well spent.

I for one would prefer Edinger based purely on that 56 yard FG against the Pack! :)
I'm not confident signing a Packer either.

The Packs want'ed to re-sign him themselves though.

singersp
03-14-2006, 01:46 AM
He'll look better in purple anyhow, plus he'll be kicking indoors which should improve his game.

WBLVikeBabe
03-14-2006, 01:52 AM
"Guruzen" wrote:

I'm with you on that one. I got kinda attached to the guy after he kicked that field goal. I didn't even know we were looking for a kicker so I was kinda surprised when they signed Longwell. :???: