PDA

View Full Version : Daunte In The Drivers Seat...

nogathomasmillarddoleman
03-11-2006, 12:02 PM
...because no deal has been made, like we were all told, by the start of free agency.
I figured Oakland (but they backed out) or Miami (who now want to heavily persue Brees) were gonna be the one's by now. BUT NOTHING.

Daunte is laughing in his knee brace as we speak, because Minny ain't gonna cut a physically gifted QB like him (back off, now. That don't mean he's a Brady) with nothing to show and he certainly isn't gonna remain on the team with that contract and his insanity.

If we don't find a buyer, is he gonna sit the bench, or start?
Or will we cut him with f*** all to show?

My perspective after all this would be just to cut him and pay your condolences and best wishes.

Any thoughts??

Brewtal
03-11-2006, 12:10 PM
There will be a trade Cpepper he is worth more then just cutting him, we will get something in return. Just not what the media has hyped his value up to what they want it to be. Don't get your hopes up for something great he is coming off a bad year and an injury.

nogathomasmillarddoleman
03-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Free agency has started, my friend, and the Vikes cannot have Daunte around because of all the hatred.

In plain words, HE MUST GO. He cannot play with this team after all that has happened.
Do you understand that?

Lando
03-11-2006, 01:08 PM
If we can't get value then let him ride the pine ... once he is healthy he is more valuable, we have the cap space and $$!

singersp
03-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Per ESPN news this morning, Oakland backed out of pursuing DC because they felt the asking price of a 2nd round pick was too high.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 04:14 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Per ESPN news this morning, Oakland backed out of pursuing DC because they felt the asking price of a 2nd round pick was too high.

I saw that last night while surfing for news. There are only a couple of teams interested...Dolphins, Titans, and Raiders. The Raiders dropped out because of the second round pick thing.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2363621)

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
He has got to go. He is way to much of a distraction now to keep him around. I hope that the Vikes can land Brees, but with all the talk, that seems highly unlikely.. What are our options? I know we have BJ, but what if for some reason he gets hurt, who will we have that can lead the team.

I know that Ferotte will be available, and he did good in our system. Chris Weinke is available, and he has a great arm. Just a little worried that we aren't going to have a solid backup. Griese, Feely, we need to address that very soon.

slinkey
03-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Saints to pursue Brees; Culpepper to Dolphins?

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(March 10, 2006) -- New Orleans isn't feeling sorry for itself.

If anything, it is making the Saints even more determined to put on an enormous free-agent push, trying to convince players to make New Orleans the first stop on their free-agent tour once the signing period opens at 12:01 a.m. ET on March 11.

Will Drew Brees listen to what the Saints have to say?
Don't be surprised to see them succeed.

Players atop the Saints wish list include San Diego's quarterback Drew Brees and Carolina's linebacker Will Witherspoon, two of the top players in this free-agent class. The Saints were expected to begin making immediate plans to try to bring both players to New Orleans for visits, especially Brees.

Landing Brees would be a boon for the Saints, and it potentially could alter the top of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Many are expecting the Saints to draft a quarterback, probably USC's Matt Leinart, with the No. 2 overall pick. But if the Saints can land Brees, they would have no need to draft a quarterback at No. 2. They then would look to trade out of the No. 2 spot, selling the pick to the highest bidder, and allowing the Saints the chance to move back in the draft for the right to land even more players.

The Saints have a lot riding on Brees. But the franchise and the city are ready to make their sell job.

DAUNTE UPDATE
The Vikings spent much today on the phones, finalizing a deal for quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

As of 7 p.m. ET, it was difficult to pinpoint where Culpepper is headed.

But it's not difficult to pinpoint where he's not.

A Sunshine State native, Daunte Culpepper starred at the University of Central Florida.
He's not being traded to New Orleans. A Saints official said the team is not in the running for Culpepper, and New Orleans will push hard for Brees.

A Raiders official said Oakland never made an offer to Minnesota, even though the two sides spoke. The Raiders official said the team is absolutely out of the Culpepper sweepstakes.

The Baltimore Ravens are not interested in Culpepper, and likely will be pursuing Kerry Collins.

Late today, a Jets official confirmed his team won't pursue Culpepper.

Unless some team is lying -- and the teams mentioned above were adamant in their responses -- that leaves the Miami Dolphins as the only team that has admitted to being in the market for a quarterback.

Culpepper probably would be thrilled at the idea of returning home to Florida. He would be happy, the Dolphins likely would be happy, and the Vikings would be happy.

Now we wait to see if this bit of sense makes reality.

JDante
03-11-2006, 04:36 PM
dam now we gotta cut im and get nothin back in return.

i mean do you honestly think that the whole brandnew organization is trying to keep a qb who has just recently demanded a trade? i mean, if we supposed to have a brandnew fresh start and everything, we not supposed to have problems like this on our franchise.

this whole situation was severely mismanaged. there is no one to blame but the triangle of authority on this one. if you were gonna trade culpecker in the first place they shoulda actually let HIM see what he could get out there and do it a couple days before the start of free agency. instead of ACTING like we really dint wanna trade him and then wait till tha last second and say ooh ooh i dont want him no more u take him.

now wtf we sposed to do? i mean might as well cut this is a brandnew start for tha minnesota vikings and we dont need no Ron Artes or Letrell Spreewell situation here where someoen is clearly not interested with stayin on tha team and doesnt really care whether or not they win or lose.

cut him wilf, we still got munny in minny.

and then get drew brees.

vikeswin2005
03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
[quote="JDante"]dam now we gotta cut im and get nothin back in return.

i mean do you honestly think that the whole brandnew organization is trying to keep a qb who has just recently demanded a trade? i mean, if we supposed to have a brandnew fresh start and everything, we not supposed to have problems like this on our franchise.

this whole situation was severely mismanaged. there is no one to blame but the triangle of authority on this one. if you were gonna trade culpecker in the first place they shoulda actually let HIM see what he could get out there and do it a couple days before the start of free agency. instead of ACTING like we really dint wanna trade him and then wait till tha last second and say ooh ooh i dont want him no more u take him.

now wtf we sposed to do? i mean might as well cut this is a brandnew start for tha minnesota vikings and we dont need no Ron Artes or Letrell Spreewell situation here where someoen is clearly not interested with stayin on tha team and doesnt really care whether or not they win or lose.

Have you been reading all the posts man I would not say it is the teams fault. Ever since Daunte started spouting off again that he wants to be traded or released on top of being "damaged goods" his trade value went down. I mean we had a deal with Oakland but they changed their mind and did not want to give up a 2nd round pick and all the other teams that have "fallen" off from the dc sweepstakes are probably in the same "BOAT" pun intended

Bruvikes
03-11-2006, 05:00 PM
It doesn't seem like anyone's interested in trading for Culpepper since they figure we will cut him anyway. Culpepper wants out of Minnesota so why don't we put him on the PUP list or put him on the practice squad. I know it's alot of money for someone your not going to play, but someone has to make a stand. I can't see were these gifted players get to whine and gripe until they get traded. The Vikings have been more than fair to the man. Wilf said he was going to give him his 6 mil. and Culpepper wanted a bigger contract--- for what? He had just an outstanding year? Beside we don't even know if he will be able to play again. So sit him a year where he can't play for anybody, see if that changes his attitude. Then next year with him being healthy then maybe we can get something for him.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 05:07 PM
"Bruvikes" wrote:

It doesn't seem like anyone's interested in trading for Culpepper since they figure we will cut him anyway. Culpepper wants out of Minnesota so why don't we put him on the PUP list or put him on the practice squad. I know it's alot of money for someone your not going to play, but someone has to make a stand. I can't see were these gifted players get to whine and gripe until they get traded. The Vikings have been more than fair to the man. Wilf said he was going to give him his 6 mil. and Culpepper wanted a bigger contract--- for what? He had just an outstanding year? Beside we don't even know if he will be able to play again. So sit him a year where he can't play for anybody, see if that changes his attitude. Then next year with him being healthy then maybe we can get something for him.

Won't change his attitude, but that last sentence makes good sense!

whackthepack
03-11-2006, 05:11 PM
"Bruvikes" wrote:

If it was your 8 million would you be willing to pay it for him to sit on the bench for a year to see if you might get a better trade?

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 05:22 PM
How about Pep being a Packer?? :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:

Sheboygan Press (http://www.sheboygan-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060311/SHE07/603110553/1082/SHEsports)

Posted March 11, 2006

Dave Lubach column: Culpepper for Walker? Imagine ...

Take this suggestion in, Packers fans.

Let it swirl around in your heads a bit before you start rattling off "are you crazy?" emails.

Javon Walker's latest hissy fit about his contract should be enough incentive to get him out of town. A new coaching staff doesn't need to deal with the old one's headache.

Maybe this idea came to me while watching the Wisconsin basketball team brick its way through Friday's Big Ten Tournament game against Indiana, but this suggestion could be the perfect solution to the Walker problem.

The Packers should call their friends to the west and trade headache for headache. One bad knee for another.

Yes, Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper for Walker.

A franchise quarterback for a receiver is always a good deal, and the Vikings would love to get that much for their disgruntled QB.

Of course, Brett Favre's snail's pace decision-making process makes this debate moot.

But the rumor sure makes for interesting debate, doesn't it?

JDante
03-11-2006, 06:08 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

Posted March 11, 2006

how many packer fans do you think are on this site???

u dont see that section called Packer Hillbillies?

there is a Pack Sucks! Gallery
A place for Packer Jokes
You can even Warp your favorite Packers face.

i dont think there are alotta pack fans on here.

but, as a vikings fan, i i would LOVE to see Culpecker as a packer. we can just easily talk about it. think of all tha names, culpecker, culpacker, cheesepepper i mean it would never end.

but tha pack dont want no Daunte Culpepper are u serious they want some young guy.

cutler??? nah they need defense. well theyll draft a qb eventually.

and i can see brees as a packer too.

but not pep

no no not daunte culpepper

ejmat
03-11-2006, 06:22 PM
They have Aaron Rodgers. Bottom line is I wouldn't mind a 2nd round pick for Pep. Then we can trade our 1st & 2nd higher up and get a stud pick. Not a bad thing. The other thing is if we can't get a 2nd rounder then sitting him for a year may not be so bad. Sure we would have to pay him his contract of $8. Wilf was willing to do that to begin with knowing he wouldn't be ready to play at the start of the season. We aren't going to get much for him so why not wait? It would piss him off. They could do the same to him as the Eagles did to TO. It has to be put in these players mind that the NFL is their boss. They do not run the NFL. The players today show lack of respect for the sport that's paying them millions and think they can do whatever they want. Take a stand here to teach people a lesson. I don't think we are going to spend all of the 31.5M anyway and out of his 8M only 2.3 goes against the cap. If we do hold onto him maybe we get more down the road.

Bruvikes
03-11-2006, 06:37 PM
If I had to fork over the 8 million. NO But if you put things in perspective Wilf's value vs. mine It would be like me paying for a apeeding ticket Which in that case yes I would. I know that it's not proable but the point I'm trying to make is why can these athlete's who have a contract whine and cry and try and get more money before they prove there worth. I mean he is injured and wants more money. How much is enough/

ejmat
03-11-2006, 06:54 PM
My point exactly. Let him whine and cry on the bench for a year. The teams of the NFL need to get tough with these guys. Do things that hurt careers when they whine and cry like this. That's all Pep is doing. I admired the Eagles for taking a stand against TO. In essence Pep is doing the same thing except for he's not bashing players or the organization publically. He has a 10 year contract worth $102M. 3rd year of it. they restructured it last year when he did so well in 2004. He wanted it done again this year after a horrible year and a possible career ending injury to boot. I liked pep as much as the next person but he's acting childishly.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Pepp would never go to the Packers. The Vikings, as bad as they want to rid themselves of Culpepper, would never ever trade him to the Packers. They would cut him first, and make the Packers fight over him with the rest of the teams.

Why would they trade him to the packers? Pepp, everytime he played the Vikings, he would be out to prove something. I don't know how it would end, but either Pepp would screw up and not be able to read the defense, and get his a$$ handed to him by the Vikes, or he would lite the Vikings up with big a$$ plays, and take us out of the game very quickly. I don't want to take that chance, send him to the AFC......

singersp
03-11-2006, 07:21 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

My point exactly. Let him whine and cry on the bench for a year. The teams of the NFL need to get tough with these guys. Do things that hurt careers when they whine and cry like this. That's all Pep is doing. I admired the Eagles for taking a stand against TO. In essence Pep is doing the same thing except for he's not bashing players or the organization publically. He has a 10 year contract worth $102M. 3rd year of it. they restructured it last year when he did so well in 2004. He wanted it done again this year after a horrible year and a possible career ending injury to boot. I liked pep as much as the next person but he's acting childishly.

Could it be Dauntes wife pushing him to make these demands?

The money, the trade, etc.

I was married for 17 years & know how influential they can be.

ejmat
03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Possibly. Who knows? Wife, him, it doesn't really matter to me. He's the one whining to the media.

2beersTommy
03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

Could it be Dauntes wife pushing him to make these demands?

The money, the trade, etc.

I was married for 17 years & know how influential they can be.

you mean manipulative lol

Del Rio
03-11-2006, 07:34 PM
He's in no way shape or form laughing.

No one wants him. We own his rights and we have no legal obligation to pay him a 6 million dollar bonus. If we can't get a trade you make him sit.
he wont be ready to play anyway.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
"JDante" wrote:

"FedjeViking" wrote:

Posted March 11, 2006

how many packer fans do you think are on this site???

u dont see that section called Packer Hillbillies?

there is a Pack Sucks! Gallery
A place for Packer Jokes
You can even Warp your favorite Packers face.

i dont think there are alotta pack fans on here.

but, as a vikings fan, i i would LOVE to see Culpecker as a packer. we can just easily talk about it. think of all tha names, culpecker, culpacker, cheesepepper i mean it would never end.

but tha pack dont want no Daunte Culpepper are u serious they want some young guy.

cutler??? nah they need defense. well theyll draft a qb eventually.

and i can see brees as a packer too.

but not pep

no no not daunte culpepper

Hey, I'm just reporting a rumor about a QB that (for now) is a Viking.

But we could have fun out of it, if it happened. Couldn't we? :sign5:

RK.
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
If they can't get a trade they will cut him. They are not going to pay him money and let him take up a roster spot. Its just not Wilfs style. He is more of a cut your losses and move on kind of guy IMO.

Also its not the TOA that is at fault here. Wilf said he would pay the 6 mil, Childress said he was the franchise QB and would be back. The problem is CP wouldn't come to MN he wouldn't meet with anyone except about money and he showed no interest in starting to learn the new offense. I am sticking with my original prediction of he will be gone at noon on the 16th. :smile:

collegeguyjeff
03-11-2006, 09:36 PM
no deal has been made how do you know? the vikings could have a deal and they have a few weeks to let someone out bid the other team.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Trade Rumors Continue To Surround Culpepper
Mar 11, 2006 11:29 am US/Central
WCCO (http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_068225955.html)

(WCCO) Minneapolis Trade rumors surrounding Minnesota Vikings' quarterback Daunte Culpepper are running rampant after Culpepper sent an e-mail to the media saying he wanted out of the Vikings organization.

"If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible," Culpepper said Wednesday in an e-mail to reporters.

As rumors of a trade increased Thursday night, and on Friday, it seemed as though a Culpepper trade was not a matter of if it would happen, but where and when.

After the free agency period kicked in at 11:01 p.m. Friday, there was still no word of Culpepper's status.

Culpepper said Wednesday the Vikings were shopping him. Numerous sources told WCCO-TV that Culpepper's e-mail missive was the last straw for the Vikings organization in attempting to come to terms with the three-time Pro Bowler.

Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf told both Twin Cities dailies that the team did not have a done deal with any other NFL team Thursday night.

"We're addressing the situation," Wilf told the Star Tribune in its Friday morning edition, adding that he thinks reports of an imminent trade are guesswork.

While no team has been ruled out, the Oakland Raiders appear to be the frontrunners in pursuit of Culpepper. Other teams in the mix include the Miami Dolphins, the Baltimore Ravens and the St. Louis Rams.

On Friday, the New Orleans Saints emerged as a team in hot pursuit of Culpepper, but later said they were out of a possible Culpepper deal.

The Saints are now pursuing San Diego Chargers' quarterback Drew Brees, as are the Dolphins, who prefer him over Culpepper.

Culpepper does have connections to the teams that appear to be most interested. His former teammate, Randy Moss, was traded to the Raiders last year and Moss spoke out within the last few weeks about the possibility of a reunion with Culpepper.

The Raiders have also cut Kerry Collins, opening the door for Culpepper.

The Rams' head coach, Scott Linehan, used to be the Vikings' offensive coordinator.

Culpepper is currently without an agent, which further complicates the negotiation process.

The quarterback himself isn't talking; Wednesday's e-mail is his most recent public comment. One NFL player who's close to Culpepper told WCCO's Mike Max that the quarterback has not been returning his phone calls.

Culpepper, 29, was plagued during the 2005 season with both on and off field problems. During the Oct. 30 game against the Carolina Panthers, he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He had surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his right knee.

Insiders say it's almost impossible to establish a market value for Culpepper because of his injured knee, so the Vikings are seeking the highest bid.

There is some speculation that the quarterback, who was an 11th overall pick just seven years ago and was a three-time Pro Bowl starting quarterback, could be traded for as little as a third round draft pick.

Before the injury, Culpepper was having one of his worst seasons, throwing twice as many interceptions as touchdowns, helping the Vikings to a 2-5 start.

One of the unknowns in the situation is when Culpepper will be ready to return from his injury. He is expected to return in early fall but has said that he would be ready to return by training camp.

Culpepper has also been charged with three misdemeanors, stemming from a boat party on Lake Minnetonka on Oct. 6.

Max said Culpepper has told others he feels he's become a scapegoat for the boat party scandal and believes he's been hit harder for that in comparison to the other three players who've been charged.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

singersp
03-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Fedje,

Just a word of caution. When you see this at the bottom of the article, you should probably just post the link.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 10:51 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Fedje,

Just a word of caution. When you see this at the bottom of the article, you should probably just post the link.

Oh, okay. I did want to make sure credit was given. They usually don't mind if the credit is given, and the link to their page, which is what I did.

I'll do just the link next time.

singersp
03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Fedje,

Oh, okay. I did want to make sure credit was given. They usually don't mind if the credit is given, and the link to their page, which is what I did.

I'll do just the link next time.

I do it just to be safe.

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
But it looks like the Dolfins and Saints are battling over Brees. The Rams are sticking with Bulger.
Which means - the Raiders are just waiting for the Vikings to drop the asking price on Culpepper. :roll:

It's going to be the Raiders, and we aren't going to get anything for him. :cry:

kyleo1967
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
If the Vikes Feel they're not getting value, do you think there is a chance they would keep him, sit em for a year and get healthy and gain value?

Would suck for many reasons, but c'mon! he's still worth something

FedjeViking
03-11-2006, 11:33 PM
"kyleo1967" wrote:

If the Vikes Feel they're not getting value, do you think there is a chance they would keep him, sit em for a year and get healthy and gain value?

Would suck for many reasons, but c'mon! he's still worth something

Probably just cut him, which would be dumb!

I would prefer them to keep him in injured reserve, sit him out this year, then trade him next year after he does a game or two to show he's fine physically. Get a better deal that way.

snowinapril
03-11-2006, 11:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Yes singersp, now that the we asked, they backed down, I guess we provide another offer, or we keep him.

Wait, Oakland probably did offer something as a counter offer and I bet we turned them down, just a guess.

I think we stick to our guns. This was what I was talking about yesterday in the Wilf thread. Everyone was making it sound like we were going to give DC away, just cause he is labeled what ever you want to label him (troubled, arrogant, who cares). I simply was saying that it would be dumb to just give him away at 12:01 to the highest bidder, if they weren't going to offer us what we(the vikes org) feel his value is.

Glad we signed K-Rob, 3 yrs baby! Let's just wait and see about DC, stop the DC bashing. The DC bashers wasted a lot of time yesterday bashing, and I (and others) wasted a lot of time on the rebuttal.

Peace Ya'll

damien927
03-12-2006, 12:05 AM
here's a thought.... Trade DC to the Phins for their 2nd rounder and that would take them out of the race for Brees. THen go after Brees and cinvince him that the Saints are horrible.... Hell didn't everyone in the NFC North beat them last year?

snowinapril
03-12-2006, 12:07 AM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

But it looks like the Dolfins and Saints are battling over Brees. The Rams are sticking with Bulger.
Which means - the Raiders are just waiting for the Vikings to drop the asking price on Culpepper. :roll:

It's going to be the Raiders, and we aren't going to get anything for him. :cry:

I hope that isn't the case, purely for the fact that the Raiders stiffed us last year. If they want him they need to dig deep.

Let's wait and see!

Comment on the other post, no I don't think we just cut him. If we were short on cap room, and it was going to hinder us in getting players that we need, then I would say it would be more likely. That is the attitude I wish we could have taken with Moss also.

The only other option is to trade him for less than what we initially wanted. The media made it out to be that we absolutely despised DC, "their marriage is over" I think was the espn term used. It is possible that we could talk the Raiders into a conditional pick in the 07 and 08 draft based on his performance. I don't think that just a 3rd or 4th rounder this year is worth it, TIJMHO.

Those are the options as I see them. If anyone has another logical one, I would like to read about it???

singersp
03-12-2006, 12:35 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yes singersp, now that the we asked, they backed down, I guess we provide another offer, or we keep him.

Wait, Oakland probably did offer something as a counter offer and I bet we turned them down, just a guess.

I think we stick to our guns. This was what I was talking about yesterday in the Wilf thread. Everyone was making it sound like we were going to give DC away, just cause he is labeled what ever you want to label him (troubled, arrogant, who cares). I simply was saying that it would be dumb to just give him away at 12:01 to the highest bidder, if they weren't going to offer us what we(the vikes org) feel his value is.

Glad we signed K-Rob, 3 yrs baby! Let's just wait and see about DC, stop the DC bashing. The DC bashers wasted a lot of time yesterday bashing, and I (and others) wasted a lot of time on the rebuttal.

Peace Ya'll

My guess is they offered us a 3rd string linebacker. :lol:

DaunteHOF
03-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Hes gonna stay here and be our franchise QB!

vikeswin2005
03-12-2006, 12:59 AM
[quote="damien927"]here's a thought.... Trade DC to the Phins for their 2nd rounder and that would take them out of the race for Brees. THen go after Brees and cinvince him that the Saints are horrible.... Hell didn't everyone in the NFC North beat them last year?[/quote

WOW THAT WOULD BE A TOUGH TASK LOL!!!

Mikecarter81
03-12-2006, 01:12 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

They have Aaron Rodgers. Bottom line is I wouldn't mind a 2nd round pick for Pep. Then we can trade our 1st & 2nd higher up and get a stud pick. Not a bad thing. The other thing is if we can't get a 2nd rounder then sitting him for a year may not be so bad. Sure we would have to pay him his contract of $8. Wilf was willing to do that to begin with knowing he wouldn't be ready to play at the start of the season. We aren't going to get much for him so why not wait? It would piss him off. They could do the same to him as the Eagles did to TO. It has to be put in these players mind that the NFL is their boss. They do not run the NFL. The players today show lack of respect for the sport that's paying them millions and think they can do whatever they want. Take a stand here to teach people a lesson. I don't think we are going to spend all of the 31.5M anyway and out of his 8M only 2.3 goes against the cap. If we do hold onto him maybe we get more down the road.

This really makes sense to me, right now its a mute point. His 2.3 million will count against are cap regardless and unless we cut him in June, we only recoup like 1 million of it, so its not a big hit. A lot of people wonder who we should have has our second stringer. Well add two and two together. I mean it serves two roles
1 we don't give Daunte away for nothing
2 We make him play second fiddle.

I'm maybe alone in this, but having an open competition is only going to be a good thing. I love Johnson, but if he is pushed by Daunte it will make sure each brings his A game to camp. I actually feel Daunte will be back by Pre Season

Mike

Ltrey33
03-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Ya know, this thread is called "Daunte in the Driver's Seat" and something about that occurred to me. He must not be a very good driver. Right now he's failing pretty badly at finding a trade for himself. Remember the Denny Green comment? Daunte has the "keys to the car" and all he has to do is drive it? Well he failed at that too! Daunte needs driving lessons...

PurplePackerEater
03-12-2006, 08:41 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Ya know, this thread is called "Daunte in the Driver's Seat" and something about that occurred to me. He must not be a very good driver. Right now he's failing pretty badly at finding a trade for himself. Remember the Denny Green comment? Daunte has the "keys to the car" and all he has to do is drive it? Well he failed at that too! Daunte needs driving lessons...

:lol:

sleepagent
03-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I wonder what is going through the head of DC.

A season ago, he was on top of the world and looking for a bigger payday.

Today, nobody seems to want him or take a chance on him.

Boy, talk about going from "hero" to "zero".

Like him or not, you've got to feel for him.

dfwvike
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Earlier I was pissed at Culpepper and thought the Vikings should just cut him. Now I am thinking if we don't get what we want we let him ride the bench.

If we end up with Hutchinson he will change his tune. If he don't change his tune by the 4th week of the season the teams with quarterbacks out for the season will give us what we want.

PurplePackerEater
03-12-2006, 09:31 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

He helped make his bed, now he can lay in it. (imo)

NordicNed
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Only thing Daunte should be driving right now is a friggin skate board.....That might even help strengthen that gimpy knee of his....

DefensivePlaymaker
03-12-2006, 10:56 PM
"Lando" wrote:

If we can't get value then let him ride the pine ... once he is healthy he is more valuable, we have the cap space and $$!

what?? pay him his $6 million bonus plus next year's salary to ride the pine? Are you crazy?! Cut him, Dante i'll biggie size that with a sierra mist...you should've kept your mouth shut. 10 years and $100+ million wasn't enough for you was it? You had to whine and complain and be greedy!

FinNasty23
03-13-2006, 01:23 AM
I DEFINATLY wouldnt count the Fins out of the running for Pep yet...

He is a perfect fit for us... and much more attractive than Brees....

We still run Linehan's system... so Pep will already know it...

Apparently, after flying out to see Brees yesturday... we had some long talks with Pep...

I think we are still VERY much in the running... even more so than the Raiders...

mnjamie
03-13-2006, 01:25 AM
"FinNasty23" wrote:

Apparently, after flying out to see Brees yesturday... we had some long talks with Pep...

Link?

mnjamie
03-13-2006, 01:26 AM
"DefensivePlaymaker" wrote:

"Lando" wrote:

what?? pay him his $6 million bonus plus next year's salary to ride the pine? Are you crazy?! Cut him, Dante i'll biggie size that with a sierra mist...you should've kept your mouth shut. 10 years and $100+ million wasn't enough for you was it? You had to whine and complain and be greedy!

Don't be surprised if it happens ... Compete against BJ and the loser sits the pine ... It's not that far fetched now.

mnjamie
03-13-2006, 01:30 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

No we dont'. Not when he caused the entire mess himself letting his ego get in the way. He made this bed, now he has to sleep in it .... with less money in his pocket in endorsements, etc ..

FinNasty23
03-13-2006, 01:31 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Link?

Here is the link about us meeting with Pep...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/03/12/a1b_fins_0312.html

The Miami Dolphins' search for a new quarterback intensified Saturday, when an early morning visit to free agent Drew Brees led to lengthy evening discussions with Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

ultravikingfan
03-13-2006, 01:51 AM
"FinNasty23" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

Link?

Here is the link about us meeting with Pep...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/03/12/a1b_fins_0312.html

The Miami Dolphins' search for a new quarterback intensified Saturday, when an early morning visit to free agent Drew Brees led to lengthy evening discussions with Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

ps - how do I add a sig? Cant find the option in the profile?

Read the "stickys" in the Help Forum.

VikemanX84
03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
I hate what Minnesotans are doing to Daunte. Who would want us as fans? I mean honestly

At the beginning of the season we promised that we would rework his cotract, that just means that he was unhappy with the fact that so much of the contract was performance based. He did a for Minnesota and proved he is one of the top Quarterbacks so he deserves more guarenteeed money. Then he asks Minnesota to make good on a promise they say no (which means they LIED to him) and every body calls him a whiner for wanting the Vikings to make good on a promise.

Then he offers to move around his roster bonus and be flexible with his contract and we still call him greedy. Then we fault him because he wants to rehab at home in warm weather instead of in Minnesota in the WINTER (I don't blame him for wanting to be in Florida in the winter). What does it matter anyway, he is rehabbing "almost freakishly". So he is committed to playing.

Then Wilf lies to him and tells him that we aren't looking to trade him.

And then our head coach who didn't even call our Quarterback (and yes, the head coach should be calling his star players, not the other way around) and they can't get their schedules to match when he comes to Minnesota. We blame this entire thing on Daunte, too.

Finally the team admits they lied to him about trying to trade him. He gets fed up and demands a trade, with good reason. Now we say he shouldn't have gone to the media about it, because it decreases his trade value. Well, what the hell does he care? Why should not use the media to help out an organization that wrongly descreditted him and lied to him?

Add to that this whole Love Boat incident which just reeks of corruption. I mean the Captain sucks on a womans breast and he doesn't get charged with misdemeanors - only the RICH, BLACK guys do. Add the LEGIT race issue to the fact that the media is cruxifying him for 3 MISDEMEANORS and that the workers who complained have talked to lawyer about a lawsuit against the players and Minnesota just isn't a good place for ultra-talented black individuals.

I'd want out too.

ejmat
03-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Ummmmm. Not sure where you've been but the Vikings told him they would pay him the $6m bonus. He would have gotten it if he'd have shut his trap

FinNasty23
03-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I am telling you... there is a HUGE chance Culpepper comes to Miami... and as early as tonight!

PurpleRide
03-13-2006, 02:13 AM
A lot of rednecks in MN enough said

ejmat
03-13-2006, 02:43 AM
To add to the whole "Oh woe is me" Pep post Vikesman, I don't blame him for rehabing in Florida if that is where he feels more comfortable. However, if he was serious from the beginning about the new team he would have so he can learn the WCO as well as get to know the new staff. The other thing is Brad Childress did contact him and wanted t meet with him face-to-face while Pep was in MN. Pep declined to do that. I don't know what you know about the situation but it looks to me that Pep started the whole thing by wanting to better his contract that he isn't but 20% into after it was already restructured last year. He wanted more money for going 2-5, 6 TDs and 12 INTs. Then let's just add the injury portion of this making it difficult for him to be ready to play till about mid season.

Open your eyes and look at what's logical here. As a businessmen (which is what the people that run the Vikings' organization are) they were looking at all options. Remember people contacted them about Pep. They didn't shop him till was trying to be greety.

I like Pep as much as the next person. However my loyalty is to the Vikings that I have loved for about 35 years now. My loyalty isn't with a whiner that has been with the team for 6 years. Players come and go in today's era of football and free agency. I will not take a player over the team. Yes there are times I don't agree with a move but that is why I do what I do and the management does what they do.

jhirchak1
03-13-2006, 02:52 AM
"FinNasty23" wrote:

I am telling you... there is a HUGE chance Culpepper comes to Miami... and as early as tonight!

Source???

vikeswin2005
03-13-2006, 02:55 AM
posted above from fin nasty

FinNasty23
03-13-2006, 02:57 AM
"jhirchak1" wrote:

Source???

I posted one above...

NYVikingFan
03-13-2006, 03:24 AM
"FinNasty23" wrote:

This article makes me think otherwise

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365781

6-KINGS
03-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Daunte in the driver seat????
Too bad the steering wheel is on the other side of the car..............

ultravikingfan
03-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Pep in the drivers seat:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/pics/crash51.jpg

6-KINGS
03-13-2006, 03:34 AM
SKIPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vegasvike
03-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Vikeman-

I hate what Minnesotans are doing to Daunte. Who would want us as fans? I mean honestly

At the beginning of the season we promised that we would rework his cotract, that just means that he was unhappy with the fact that so much of the contract was performance based. He did a for Minnesota and proved he is one of the top Quarterbacks so he deserves more guarenteeed money. Then he asks Minnesota to make good on a promise they say no (which means they LIED to him) and every body calls him a whiner for wanting the Vikings to make good on a promise.

Then he offers to move around his roster bonus and be flexible with his contract and we still call him greedy. Then we fault him because he wants to rehab at home in warm weather instead of in Minnesota in the WINTER (I don't blame him for wanting to be in Florida in the winter). What does it matter anyway, he is rehabbing "almost freakishly". So he is committed to playing.

And then our head coach who didn't even call our Quarterback (and yes, the head coach should be calling his star players, not the other way around) and they can't get their schedules to match when he comes to Minnesota. We blame this entire thing on Daunte, too.

Finally the team admits they lied to him about trying to trade him. He gets fed up and demands a trade, with good reason. Now we say he shouldn't have gone to the media about it, because it decreases his trade value. Well, what the hell does he care? Why should not use the media to help out an organization that wrongly descreditted him and lied to him?

Add to that this whole Love Boat incident which just reeks of corruption. I mean the Captain sucks on a womans breast and he doesn't get charged with misdemeanors - only the RICH, BLACK guys do. Add the LEGIT race issue to the fact that the media is cruxifying him for 3 MISDEMEANORS and that the workers who complained have talked to lawyer about a lawsuit against the players and Minnesota just isn't a good place for ultra-talented black individuals.

I'd want out too.

I feel the same way, but it is a business with the owners. Could Wilf had been more of a man and told Pep that they were shopping him? Yes. But the NFL is a business, and I like Pep but I am a VIKING fan. And as far as the misdemeanors, I really hope that race has nothing to do with it. Me being black myself I really hope they see dollar signs and not race

ejmat-

To add to the whole "Oh woe is me" Pep post Vikesman, I don't blame him for rehabing in Florida if that is where he feels more comfortable. However, if he was serious from the beginning about the new team he would have so he can learn the WCO as well as get to know the new staff. The other thing is Brad Childress did contact him and wanted t meet with him face-to-face while Pep was in MN. Pep declined to do that. I don't know what you know about the situation but it looks to me that Pep started the whole thing by wanting to better his contract that he isn't but 20% into after it was already restructured last year. He wanted more money for going 2-5, 6 TDs and 12 INTs. Then let's just add the injury portion of this making it difficult for him to be ready to play till about mid season.

Open your eyes and look at what's logical here. As a businessmen (which is what the people that run the Vikings' organization are) they were looking at all options. Remember people contacted them about Pep. They didn't shop him till was trying to be greety.

I like Pep as much as the next person. However my loyalty is to the Vikings that I have loved for about 35 years now. My loyalty isn't with a whiner that has been with the team for 6 years. Players come and go in today's era of football and free agency. I will not take a player over the team. Yes there are times I don't agree with a move but that is why I do what I do and the management does what they do.

I agree with most of your post, BUT lets be fair here. Yes Pep did play like trash this year but he had no OC, his line lost their leader, they (coaches) still called plays like Randy was on the field for us, we had NO running game and our D & ST's were not playing as well as they did when our schedule weakened out. As far as the money he just wanted to be paid now so if they would have cut him in the 9th year of his contract he would have his money. If he is traded we have to keep going on, if he stays we have to make the most of it

midgensa
03-13-2006, 04:28 AM
"vegasvike" wrote:

Vikeman-

I'd want out too.

I feel the same way, but it is a business with the owners. Could Wilf had been more of a man and told Pep that they were shopping him? Yes. But the NFL is a business, and I like Pep but I am a VIKING fan. And as far as the misdemeanors, I really hope that race has nothing to do with it. Me being black myself I really hope they see dollar signs and not race

ejmat-

I agree with most of your post, BUT lets be fair here. Yes Pep did play like trash this year but he had no OC, his line lost their leader, they (coaches) still called plays like Randy was on the field for us, we had NO running game and our D & ST's were not playing as well as they did when our schedule weakened out. As far as the money he just wanted to be paid now so if they would have cut him in the 9th year of his contract he would have his money. If he is traded we have to keep going on, if he stays we have to make the most of it

Very good points. Both sides have been babies here. I think that Wilf and Childress NEVER had any intention of having Pep next season and kept lying to his face and it eventually pissed Pep off and turned him into a media drama queen.
I would love for somehow this all to go away and he be here next year... but I don't think anyone involved would be happy with that.
D-Pep is getting dumped on for a lot of crap ... and some of it very deserved ... but a bad 6 1/4 games to start a season after giving us three pro bowl years in 5 years as a starter is NO reason for everyone to dump on this guy.
If they are parting ways ... let it be ... both the Vikes and Culpepper could still have very bright futures ... it is a shame it won't be together.

NordicNed
03-13-2006, 04:36 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Pep in the drivers seat:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/giligan.jpg

Hey Skipper, is that your boat?....

Yeah it is little buddy, who's that black guy with the "Will work for food sign around his neck" ?......

Not sure skipper, but he's limping really bad after driving his car into your boat....

VikesfaninWis
03-13-2006, 05:14 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Pep in the drivers seat:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/giligan.jpg

Hey Skipper, is that your boat?....

Yeah it is little buddy, who's that black guy with the "Will work for food sign around his neck" ?......

Not sure skipper, but he's limping really bad after driving his car into your boat....

:sign5: Good one Ned........... :grin:

FinNasty23
03-13-2006, 06:34 AM
"NYVikingFan" wrote:

"FinNasty23" wrote:

This article makes me think otherwise

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365781

We are trying to use Pepper for leverage with Brees...

If we cant get Brees to back down his offer... we will trade for Pepper...

whackthepack
03-13-2006, 08:12 PM
"midgensa wrote:

[quote]
Very good points. Both sides have been babies here. I think that Wilf and Childress NEVER had any intention of having Pep next season and kept lying to his face and it eventually pissed Pep off and turned him into a media drama queen.
I would love for somehow this all to go away and he be here next year... but I don't think anyone involved would be happy with that.
D-Pep is getting dumped on for a lot of crap ... and some of it very deserved ... but a bad 6 1/4 games to start a season after giving us three pro bowl years in 5 years as a starter is NO reason for everyone to dump on this guy.
If they are parting ways ... let it be ... both the Vikes and Culpepper could still have very bright futures ... it is a shame it won't be together.

While that is your opinion!

My opinion is that they did plan on C-pep being here next year, until he pissed off every body in the front office of the Vikings organization with his demands and acting like a child! For someone that wants to lead a football franchise and set to make 8 million dollars this year, he did not show any kind of tact or leadership skills! So if it was your team and he has disrespected your head coach and is not showing leadership skills and after he fires his agent tries to represent himself (what a fool for a client), and his ridiculous demands for a 10 million dollar pay raise, and is whining in the paper would you want him to lead your 600 million dollar team?