PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is the matter with the vikings??



magicci
03-11-2006, 01:45 AM
we have all this cash around and we seem no where close to re-signing any of our big players, daunte is as good as gone, and they took the tag of B. Williams. But what the hell at least re-sign some of our players that are good.

vegasvike
03-11-2006, 01:49 AM
magic, we get to see all the signing at 9:01 when FA begins, lets just hope we get the best talent out there

TwTom
03-11-2006, 01:53 AM
vegasvike is right -- this team has a ton of cap room and taking the tag off of Williams, right now, isn't a bad thing.

Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks -- I think that the Vikings will be big players in the free agent market (they really need to be to improve this team).

Gotta give it time...

magicci
03-11-2006, 01:58 AM
look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger


G Toniu Fonoti


C Melvin Fowler


DE Lance Johnstone


LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson


LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams


WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)

vikeswin2005
03-11-2006, 02:01 AM
"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett
CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger


G Toniu Fonoti


C Melvin Fowler


DE Lance Johnstone


LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson


LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams


WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)
WOW that was a reality check :cry:

eclipse_2303
03-11-2006, 02:03 AM
"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett - Always injured so you never see him play anyway

CB Ralph Brown - 4th string CB so who really cares?

SS Corey Chavous - Could get a better SS

LB Sam Cowart - Old and past his day, definatly not worth hanging onto when EJ can play MLB

K Paul Edinger - hit some clutch kicks but didnt even make 80% of them last year


G Toniu Fonoti - potential but lacks work ethic


C Melvin Fowler - No need to keep him with Birk coming back


DE Lance Johnstone - Old


LB Keith Newman - Average

WR Koren Robinson - good kick returner nothing special as a WR and asking for too much money for what he is worth


LB Raonall Smith - Special teamer only

RB Moe Williams - too old and run down, no need to keep him he is only a goaline back and any RB we get this year can be that as well


WR Nate Burleson - Too bad he cant stick around


So in reality are we really losing that much when you consider we will be upgrading most of these positions anyway?

magicci
03-11-2006, 02:05 AM
here is what i got from VU

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS


RB Michael Bennett was in and out of starting role in 2005; has been told the Vikings won’t attempt to re-sign him.


CB Ralph Brown has been informed he won’t be brought back after being used in nickel and dime situations in 2005.


SS Corey Chavous is expected to walk after being unhappy about his salary last season. There is an outside chance that front office changes could alter his opinion.


LB Sam Cowart provided stability in the middle but the soon-to-be 31-year-old isn’t thought to be a good fit for the “Tampa 2” defense that new coordinator Mike Tomlin will run.


K Paul Edinger hit three game-winning kicks in his first season with the Vikings, but with plenty of salary-cap room, the organization could take a run at a free-agent kicker.


G Toniu Fonoti has shown potential, but inability to keep his weight down and injury problems might cause Brad Childress to let him move. There continues to be talks between the two sides.


C Melvin Fowler spent much of the season starting in place of the injured Matt Birk. But with Birk expected back, Fowler likely will look for a starting job.


QB Shaun Hill has been told the Vikings will let him walk after spending the past four seasons with the team.


DE Lance Johnstone has proven himself as a valuable pass-rush specialist but could get a better offer elsewhere. He isn’t an every-down player.


LB Keith Newman had an excellent 2005, moving into starting role after Napoleon Harris struggled, but might not be suited for the coverage responsibilities in the “Tampa 2” defense.


S Willie Offord got off to good start last season but knee injury knocked him out in late September. He signed a two-year, incentive-laden contract to return and potentially compete for the starting job.


WR Koren Robinson rebounded from off-the-field problems to make Pro Bowl as kick return specialist. He could thrive in West Coast offense under Brad Childress. Although he’s considered unrestricted, the Vikings do have an unusual clause in this deal that enables them to match any offer.


LB Raonall Smith only saw spotty playing time under former coach Mike Tice but has the speed to compete for a significant role in the new defensive scheme.


RB Moe Williams had season ended because of knee surgery in November and could retire after 10 seasons.


C Cory Withrow has proven himself as a dependable backup but has been told the Vikings aren’t planning to bring him back.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS


WR Nate Burleson battled various injuries last season after being expected to be a key replacement for Randy Moss. He still has plenty of upside at only 24 years of age and was tendered a $712,000 offer, which would yield a third-round draft choice if he signed an offer sheet with another team and the Vikings declined to match it

damien927
03-11-2006, 02:06 AM
they need to remake the team, they weren't any good last year and when you are implementing a new offense and especially the new defense... you need to have the players that fit the new scheme. If you try to play a fast and disciplined scheme with slow, but tough guys, you will get smoked. Players must fit system.

vegasvike
03-11-2006, 02:10 AM
any way you look at it we are not really losing too much letting brown go. I mean that dude was so bad I heard that he was paying people to wear his jersey. J/K I didn't really hear that

Navycoach
03-11-2006, 02:11 AM
What I'm thinking (and trust me, this is purely speculation) is that the reason the tag was removed from Williams, is that the vikings are preparing to package him in a trade deal with culpepper. Don't ask me where to (*cough* SAINTS *cough*) but let's hope a lot of good comes of it.

mogwai
03-11-2006, 02:19 AM
it's not the saints.no interest in daunte.just reported

Navycoach
03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
It was reported that Daunte was NOT going to be traded too. Not trusting the media on this one. I think Wilf and the boys like to play mind games. I like it.

mystykoekaki
03-11-2006, 02:59 AM
The Vikes are doing the correct steps into the right direction IMO. Remember this is a whole DIFFERENT coaching team, they might not see the same value in some of the players as the last regime did. I expect a different team because we got a different crew this year. Thanks Childress for making the steps that need to be made, I support you 110%.

V4L
03-11-2006, 03:06 AM
RB Michael Bennett - Yah we can part ways

CB Ralph Brown - 4th string CB.. But good depth.. Can ALWAYS use that

SS Corey Chavous - Could get a better SS maybe.. But might as well keep

LB Sam Cowart - Old yes.. Still decent.. Maybe best option we have?

K Paul Edinger - I'd look into someone else

G Toniu Fonoti - Sign him cheap.. Let him work in.. Good depth atleast


C Melvin Fowler - DEPTHHHHHHHH.. Solid o-lineman too.. Guard maybe?


DE Lance Johnstone - Old.. But who cares.. Consistent and a beast


LB Keith Newman - STUDDDDDDDDDD

WR Koren Robinson - Top 3 KR.. And solid WR.. Showed most promise at WR last year then anyone

LB Raonall Smith - Could part ways.. Solid ST'er though.. Depth as well

RB Moe Williams - Dump him

WR Nate Burleson - We need him.. When healthy he is sick


So in reality.. We should resign alot of these guys..

ThaSuperFreak33
03-11-2006, 03:20 AM
I feel we are not going to be able to land that many big name free agents because we are not scheduling any visits with any players. I saw the Cardinals already have a visit schuduled for Saturday with Edgerrin James and they have a ton of money to spend too. We are not moving fast enough on resigning any of our own players either. We need to get somting started soon or all our players and free agents will be signed by someone else and we will end up getting the bottom of the barrel players.

FuadFan
03-11-2006, 03:23 AM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

I feel we are not going to be able to land that many big name free agents because we are not scheduling any visits with any players. I saw the Cardinals already have a visit schuduled for Saturday with Edgerrin James and they have a ton of money to spend too. We are not moving fast enough on resigning any of our own players either. We need to get somting started soon or all our players and free agents will be signed by someone else and we will end up getting the bottom of the barrel players.Do you really think that just because he is visiting the Cardnals he will be signed there this instant we likely do have a list of players we are interested in and have probably let them know that we are.

V4L
03-11-2006, 03:26 AM
It happens like this all the time.. Starts of slowwwwwwwww

So sit back and relax.. We will nab some big names

fourdoorchevelle
03-11-2006, 05:55 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:



......WR Nate Burleson - We need him.. When healthy he is sick


DA-DA-TIS :lol:

2beersTommy
03-11-2006, 05:56 AM
sick=mad skillz

fourdoorchevelle
03-11-2006, 05:58 AM
i know .

du dum tis = drums

changed it . maybe "da da tis " will work better

olson_10
03-11-2006, 05:58 AM
"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger


G Toniu Fonoti


C Melvin Fowler


DE Lance Johnstone


LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson


LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams


WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)
poorly handled? how does that work when his own agent said they were making progress?

2beersTommy
03-11-2006, 06:01 AM
my bad

fourdoorchevelle
03-11-2006, 06:03 AM
no prob :cool: :smile: :thumbleft:

magicci
03-11-2006, 06:11 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger


G Toniu Fonoti


C Melvin Fowler


DE Lance Johnstone


LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson


LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams


WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)
poorly handled? how does that work when his own agent said they were making progress?
i think that your talking about Koren Robinson

singersp
03-11-2006, 06:12 AM
"Navycoach" wrote:

What I'm thinking (and trust me, this is purely speculation) is that the reason the tag was removed from Williams, is that the vikings are preparing to package him in a trade deal with culpepper. Don't ask me where to (*cough* SAINTS *cough*) but let's hope a lot of good comes of it.

When they removed the tag from B-Will, he became a free agent.

Can't trade a FA.

B-Will has stated he doesn't want to play for Minny anymore & wants to go elswhere. I believe the organization is granting his wish as they did for Daunte.

Ltrey33
03-11-2006, 06:17 AM
"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger


G Toniu Fonoti


C Melvin Fowler


DE Lance Johnstone


LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson


LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams


WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)

I just don't think there is any point to holding on to a lot of those guys when there are better alternatives in free agency. There's no doubt we need to spend some cash this free agency period to fill the gaps they're leaving, but I think the guys we have the money to sign will make us better than resigning the players we already have. What's the point of signing guys to contracts if they're not going to make you any better than you were the year before?

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 06:36 AM
These are the players I would like back and why:

G Toniu Fonoti has shown potential, but inability to keep his weight down and injury problems might cause Brad Childress to let him move. There continues to be talks between the two sides.

Because he is a good big body that we desperately need on the O-Line.


WR Koren Robinson - Top 3 KR.. And solid WR.. Showed most promise at WR last year then anyone.


Because he will be a breakout star once he is in training camp from day one and with a clear head.


WR Nate Burleson - We need him.. When healthy he is sick


Because I will give him the benefit of the doubt. If he can stay healthy and not have that tremendous amount of pressure on him, then he could be really good in the WCO.


DE Lance Johnstone - Old.. But who cares.. Consistent and a beast


Because he is very good at what he does. He may be getting up there in age, but he was a huge part of our defense last season.


LB Keith Newman - STUDDDDDDDDDD


Because he is a player that plays balls to the wall. He was huge last season, and deserves to be here.


All of the others are replaceable, and I wouldn't care if the rest weren't brought back.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 06:40 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Navycoach" wrote:

What I'm thinking (and trust me, this is purely speculation) is that the reason the tag was removed from Williams, is that the vikings are preparing to package him in a trade deal with culpepper. Don't ask me where to (*cough* SAINTS *cough*) but let's hope a lot of good comes of it.

When they removed the tag from B-Will, he became a free agent.

Can't trade a FA.

B-Will has stated he doesn't want to play for Minny anymore & wants to go elswhere. I believe the organization is granting his wish as they did for Daunte.


Right on Singers. Why would any team want to have a player on their team that doesn't want to play there? You will not get everything out of that player, and it will make for a horrific relationship. The Packers will find that out real quick with Walker :grin:

Caine
03-11-2006, 06:55 AM
"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.

Ahhh, but let's look at the REAL impact of those players on the team as a whole.


RB Michael Bennett - Failed in four years to establish himself as a starting Runningback by being hampered by injury (3 years) and failing to be consistant while healthy. Net Effect = ZERO

CB Ralph Brown - Back up CB who played well....but not at a starting level. Shows the potential to be a nickle back...needs work to consider starting. Net effect = ZERO

SS Corey Chavous - Usually smart player who lacks speed and is sometimes caught napping on deep routes. Had one Pro-Bowl year ('03), but tapered off since. Net Effect = Average.

LB Sam Cowart - Aging MLB who played well in '05. Nowhere near his '02-03 form anymore which is why the Jets let him go...cheap. Second on the team in tackles. Net Effect = Average

K Paul Edinger - Clutch kicker that struggles on the chip shots...at least THIS year he did. No one is beating down his door to sign him...and the Vikings know that. Net Effect = Replaceable.

G Toniu Fonoti Came in with question marks about his weight...got hurt almost immediately. He was brought in as a quick-fix. Net Effect = Negligable.

C Melvin Fowler - Another project player who was brought in to bolster a sad O-Line situation. Didn't play poorly, but also didn't play well enough to shed tears over if lost. Net Effect = Negligible.

DE Lance Johnstone - Aging DE who specialized in passing situations. Not someone I would simply toss aside, but also not worth a big dollar long term commitment. Net Effect = Average.

LB Keith Newman - Another Linebacker who played alright....but not well enough to commit to. 4th in team tackles...among Linebackers, 11th overall. Net Effect = Minimal.

WR Koren Robinson - Rehabbed Receiver makes Pro-Bowl....as a Special Teams Player. Shows great potential, able to stretch the field. Downside...wants Pro-Bowl RECEIVER money. Vikings own right to match, will let him test the waters so as not to over bad early. Probably be in Purple next season if the price doesn't get crazy. HOWEVER, due to strong Receiver corps, Net Effect = Average.

LB Raonall Smith - 5th year LB who hasn't cracked the starting line up with any authority. Ranked behind Ralph Brown in tackles last season. Net Effect = Minimal.

RB Moe Williams - Fan favorite, perennial short yardage RB with 10 NFL seasons under his belt. Runs hard, seldom fumbles, but on the down slope of his career. Net Effect = Minimal.

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind) - Supposed Heir to the #1 Receiver slot...dropped off in '05. Injury did play some role in that, but so did a stronger than expected Receiver corps. Net Effect =Average

So, in summation, we're talking about a whole lot of guys who PLAYED, but aren't the heart and soul of our team. For the most part, we're talking about a lot of "Role Players" who can be replaced by cheaper - and younger - players. Of the list, I'd like to see Johnstone back, as well as either Burleson or Robinson (Both if the price is right).

There are 3 Linebackers on that list for a reason...and that reason is they probably aren't perfect fits for our new Defensive scheme.

However, don't be suprised to see many of these names back next season. Every season teams let guys go down to the wire...this year, the wire got extended, but it will be no different.

Caine

SWAYZE74
03-11-2006, 07:08 AM
well...i see where the organization is heading with the team...just look at the sheme they want to implement...not everyone is goin to fit...sure we may like individual players and what not...but if they dont fit, its time to hit the bricks...look at what the patriots did with their team...when they started winning numerous super bowls they had no "real" superstars on the team like moss or DC...i for one could care less if we had all these great individual players...its all about the TEAM...and if the team works, then it works...i forgot who posted a statement like "we knew big changes were gonna come" but ill second that statement...this is the start of something new vikes fans...so sit back, fasten your seat belts, and enjoy the ride...

peace...

TheAnimal93
03-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Another great post Caine! Hit the nails on their heads. I cant wait to see how this all plays out.

PAvikesfan
03-11-2006, 07:35 AM
no offense to everyone, but we do not have a strong reciever corps... look at all the teams shaking in their shoes... travis taylor, williamson, Mrobinson...oh man we're in trouble now! <sarcasm off>



and hey animal, how's it going man?

audioghost
03-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Ok, all I know is that we better get some good players and not be cheap 'arse bee-hotches! We're meeting with Chester Taylor when we should be metting with the Edge....we better pick up Witherspoon, or Peterson, or at least make at play at these guys.....dangit!

Caine
03-11-2006, 10:55 AM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

no offense to everyone, but we do not have a strong reciever corps... look at all the teams shaking in their shoes... travis taylor, williamson, Mrobinson...oh man we're in trouble now! <sarcasm off>



and hey animal, how's it going man?

I disagree. Our Receiver Corps is very strong...we simply don't have any one stand-out receiver. Travis Taylor has shown himself to be an excellent possession receiver, Marcus Robinson is an excellent mid-range threat, and Koren Robinson and Troy Williamson can both stretch the field at will. That to me indicates balance, which indicates a good, solid receiver corps. Toss Burleson in the mix, and we are incredibly well rounded.

Granted, no one right now is demanding a double or triple team, but on the flip side, with the overall ability range - and the threat of Jermaine Wiggins or a RB sliding out - what's not to like?

We don't have any BAD receivers, and that's pretty key. If we did, Johnson wouldn't spread that ball around as much as he does...because there would be people he didn't trust as much. As it is now, there is no one or two people that Defenses can take away from us and shut us down. They have to account for EVERYONE.

Caine

rdknieff
03-11-2006, 10:58 AM
great post caine! I guess we all got a little spoiled having one reciever who had the talents of 3 put together. Although....I can't really think of a lot of teams who don't have 1 stand out reciever.

Caine
03-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Check Receiver stats at NFL.com

Of the top WR's last season, only 8 teams had 2 receivers in the Top 30.

Arizona
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Kansas City
New York Giants
Oakland
San Diego

Of those 8 teams, only THREE of them made the Play-Offs

Cincinnati
Indianapolis
New York Giants

Steve Smith from Carolina, was last years #1 Receiver...and they got stopped in the NFC Championship game (Sound familiar?).

Santana Moss (#2) and Washington were stopped in the Divisional Play-offs, while Chad Johnson (#3) and Cincinnati were stopped cold in the Wildcard round (Ouch).

Seattle, with NO ONE in the top 30, got all the way to the Superbowl!!!!

Pittsburgh, the current SB champs, got there with only 1 receiver - Hines Ward - in the top 30, and he was at #22.

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin (#4 and #5 respectively), sat out the post season because Arizona stinks!!

So, having a great receiver is nice, but it's no guarantee of success. Having a well balanced TEAM is much better.

Seattle was ranked 14th in Passing yards, while Pittsburgh was all the way down at 25.

In Rushing, however, Seattle was 3rd and Pittsburgh 5th.

What does that tell you?

Caine

Brewtal
03-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree, we have good WR and Johnson can spread the ball out. Something Culpepper couldn't do. Glad to to Cpep go, he had tunnel vision.

slimerg0d
03-11-2006, 02:44 PM
"eclipse_2303" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.


RB Michael Bennett - Always injured so you never see him play anyway

CB Ralph Brown - 4th string CB so who really cares?

SS Corey Chavous - Could get a better SS

LB Sam Cowart - Old and past his day, definatly not worth hanging onto when EJ can play MLB

K Paul Edinger - hit some clutch kicks but didnt even make 80% of them last year


G Toniu Fonoti - potential but lacks work ethic


C Melvin Fowler - No need to keep him with Birk coming back


DE Lance Johnstone - Old


LB Keith Newman - Average

WR Koren Robinson - good kick returner nothing special as a WR and asking for too much money for what he is worth


LB Raonall Smith - Special teamer only

RB Moe Williams - too old and run down, no need to keep him he is only a goaline back and any RB we get this year can be that as well


WR Nate Burleson - Too bad he cant stick around


So in reality are we really losing that much when you consider we will be upgrading most of these positions anyway?

K-Rob, nothing special? Wow, I have a completely different take on him. I'm glad we signed him to a 3 year deal.

Prophet
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
"Caine" wrote:

...Our Receiver Corps is very strong...we simply don't have any one stand-out receiver. Travis Taylor has shown himself to be an excellent possession receiver, Marcus Robinson is an excellent mid-range threat, and Koren Robinson and Troy Williamson can both stretch the field at will. That to me indicates balance, which indicates a good, solid receiver corps. Toss Burleson in the mix, and we are incredibly well rounded.

Granted, no one right now is demanding a double or triple team, but on the flip side, with the overall ability range - and the threat of Jermaine Wiggins or a RB sliding out - what's not to like?

We don't have any BAD receivers, and that's pretty key. If we did, Johnson wouldn't spread that ball around as much as he does...because there would be people he didn't trust as much. As it is now, there is no one or two people that Defenses can take away from us and shut us down. They have to account for EVERYONE.

Caine

I would agree with that. I don't see a problem with the receiving corps. We may need a QB to toss the ball to them though. I'm not as panicked as some regarding the QB situation. BJ can handle the job in the short-term as long as there is a reasonable backup as a worst case scenario. If the Vikings come out of FA without a bonified starter at QB I won't hit the panic button, they will either pick one up in the draft, pick one up from another team during the year, or work on it next year. BJ has a ring and the smarts to lead the team. If the O-line is shored up and a servicable RB corps is in place it will all work out.

Speaking of RBs, are we really as hurting as it seems? If the whizzinator is back in the mix and MeMo is still here and another is picked up in FA (a stud or an almost stud) the Vikings will be fine. Personally, of course I would love to see Edge come to Minny, but if he doesn't there are many other options.

On another note:

"vegasvike" wrote:

...I mean that dude was so bad I heard that he was paying people to wear his jersey...

:lol: Good one.

V4L
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
This is all peoples opinions..

I think alot of those players there played very well.. Some people think they suck and should be replaced..

Yes would could replace them.. And we have money.. But don't use it all right away

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 08:47 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"PAvikesfan" wrote:

no offense to everyone, but we do not have a strong reciever corps... look at all the teams shaking in their shoes... travis taylor, williamson, Mrobinson...oh man we're in trouble now! <sarcasm off>



and hey animal, how's it going man?

I disagree. Our Receiver Corps is very strong...we simply don't have any one stand-out receiver. Travis Taylor has shown himself to be an excellent possession receiver, Marcus Robinson is an excellent mid-range threat, and Koren Robinson and Troy Williamson can both stretch the field at will. That to me indicates balance, which indicates a good, solid receiver corps. Toss Burleson in the mix, and we are incredibly well rounded.

Granted, no one right now is demanding a double or triple team, but on the flip side, with the overall ability range - and the threat of Jermaine Wiggins or a RB sliding out - what's not to like?

We don't have any BAD receivers, and that's pretty key. If we did, Johnson wouldn't spread that ball around as much as he does...because there would be people he didn't trust as much. As it is now, there is no one or two people that Defenses can take away from us and shut us down. They have to account for EVERYONE.

Caine


I agree with that Caine. It is sometimes better to not have a standout reciever because it is easier for teams to gameplan for you. I would rather have several equal reciever's versus one standout reciever..

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-11-2006, 08:51 PM
"magicci" wrote:

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)


What are you talking about!!! Nate Burleson sucks a big one!!! I could care less if he is gone!!! How was he poorly handled!?!

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

This is all peoples opinions..

I think alot of those players there played very well.. Some people think they suck and should be replaced..

Yes would could replace them.. And we have money.. But don't use it all right away


I agree. The thing is, that the players they are strongly pursuing, they should go balls to the wall for them. We need another good QB, and letting Brees test Miami, and New Orleans may be a mistake. Hopefully they have atleast let Brees know they are interested so he explores his options before signing with a team like New Orleans. Same with James, he is visiting Arizona today, you would think that a player would know that they have a better shot at winning a SB with the Vikings versus with Arizona.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
"magicci" wrote:

we have all this cash around and we seem no where close to re-signing any of our big players, daunte is as good as gone, and they took the tag of B. Williams. But what the hell at least re-sign some of our players that are good.

We should be trying for Edge, Hutchinson, (we already snoozed on Bentley which would have been a great pick up), Arrington or Peterson, and Vinateri IMO.

briboy75
03-11-2006, 08:59 PM
"Navycoach" wrote:

It was reported that Daunte was NOT going to be traded too. Not trusting the media on this one. I think Wilf and the boys like to play mind games. I like it.

with all the speculation you can't say something like this without backing it up with a source? where was it "reported"?

collegeguyjeff
03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
im tired of people saying something it wrong with the vikings, maybe you need to apply for the general manager position next time there is an oppening.

i love whats going on and i love how the management and coaching staff manipulates the media and twists everything they are doing and so on; it's ingenious. tice woulda told everyone what he was doing to make them happy.

ItalianStallion
03-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't mind cheering for a team with a lot of different players next year. In case you forgot, we missed the playoffs. I don't know about you, but that calls for some change.

LuckyVike
03-11-2006, 10:12 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I wouldn't mind cheering for a team with a lot of different players next year. In case you forgot, we missed the playoffs. I don't know about you, but that calls for some change.

Exactly! We were 9-7 and missed the playoffs. I believe that calls for some change and that's why I get sick to my stomach everytime I hear someone say, oh we have the talent, just keep them... BULLCRAP.

aceclown
03-11-2006, 10:15 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

im tired of people saying something it wrong with the vikings, maybe you need to apply for the general manager position next time there is an oppening.

i love whats going on and i love how the management and coaching staff manipulates the media and twists everything they are doing and so on; it's ingenious. tice woulda told everyone what he was doing to make them happy.

I agree, we need to be a little more secretive than Tice. I also agree that people on these sites act like they should be GM and that whatever they think we should do is always the best way.

Ive seen this happen for the last 3 or 4 years now. Every year there is a list of top tier players who we always drool over and think that they will be a Viking for sure. What we forget is that there are 31 other teams who would probably like these players too. But, Brezynski has got this thing figured out. Why else would be in the best cap shape of any team in the NFL. We will let the market play out a little, and be patient. Patience in free agency is what gives you the best value. You lose out on some of the top players, but it is what keeps you from over-spending like so many teams do. I bet that about 2 or 3 weeks from now we will all be happy with how free agency turns out for us.

magicci
03-11-2006, 10:44 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)


What are you talking about!!! Nate Burleson sucks a big one!!! I could care less if he is gone!!! How was he poorly handled!?!
how can u say he sucks??

Caine
03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
"magicci" wrote:

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)


What are you talking about!!! Nate Burleson sucks a big one!!! I could care less if he is gone!!! How was he poorly handled!?!
how can u say he sucks??

Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say he sucks...but I would say that - aside from one amazing TD catch - he was pretty flat last season. Remember, he is being evaluated against the backdrop of someone who was projected to be our #1 receiver. By THOSE standards, he failed to measure up.

Of course, he's young still. But I'm reminded of the "potential" Kelly Campbell had...speed, decent hands... wanna-be "gangsta"....buh-bye. And that's really where I sit with Burleson. He showed "potential" in '04, but unless he really starts stepping up, he'll become another disposable #3-5 receiver, and those aren't guys you build a team around. Those are guys you slot in until something better comes along.

Caine

magicci
03-11-2006, 11:33 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

im tired of people saying something it wrong with the vikings, maybe you need to apply for the general manager position next time there is an oppening.

i love whats going on and i love how the management and coaching staff manipulates the media and twists everything they are doing and so on; it's ingenious. tice woulda told everyone what he was doing to make them happy.
so maybe they are doing what i stated in another post and are manipulating us about the whole daunte culpepper thing and doing something similar to the "Paul McCartney's dead thing", and Daunte, Childress, and Zygi are all just sitting at winter park laughing their butts off right now.

DaunteHOF
03-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Atleast we got Koren Robinson back

DefensivePlaymaker
03-12-2006, 08:41 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

im tired of people saying something it wrong with the vikings, maybe you need to apply for the general manager position next time there is an oppening.

i love whats going on and i love how the management and coaching staff manipulates the media and twists everything they are doing and so on; it's ingenious. tice woulda told everyone what he was doing to make them happy.

i would love to be the general manager, i'm afraid i don't have what it takes to be a GM though....I have common sense...so they wouldn't hire me! LOL I mean come on....how much brains does it take when you have the most cap room in the league, and your linebacking core is in need of serious help, to go out and get peterson for instance...but no, we sign ben leber to $4 million a year....geeez!! not smart at all. I mean if you're going to overpay for an average player, why not just overpay for a player that's actually a difference maker like peterson. i was really excited when this free agency began, but now i'm just disappointed in our front office. they're signing a bunch of average at best guys. way to use that cap room guys! LOL

Mr-holland
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Miss 'em already :(

revprodeji
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I still hope we get Nate back. I think he is perfect for the 2nd receiver, with koren as our number 1, and troy as a burner. Nate has amazing hands, and great after the catch skills. he is a model character and wants to improve. From what i see he will still be back here. Has someone matched the restriction yet?