PDA

View Full Version : Smoot's offseason shapes up

singersp
03-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Posted on Fri, Mar. 10, 2006

Smoot's offseason shapes up

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

When he shows up at Winter Park later this month, Fred Smoot's teammates might not recognize him.

After learning that his injured shoulder from last season didn't need to be surgically repaired, Smoot said he has been aggressively working out in Mississippi and getting into the best shape of his life.

The result: eleven pounds of muscle added to his 186-pound frame.
"I'm feeling real good right now," Smoot said. "I never really lifted weights in my life, and I've been lifting four days a week."

Asked if he still has his speed, Smoot said, "I might even be faster."
Smoot endured arguably the most difficult season of his five-year NFL career in 2005, when he missed five games and was supplanted in the starting lineup by Brian Williams. Smoot also was also charged with lewd and indecent behavior during a party on a chartered boat on Lake Minnetonka in October. He pleaded not guilty.

Upon his return to the Twin Cities, Smoot is looking forward to a fresh start.
"I think they never got to see me as a player," Smoot said of Vikings fans. "I don't think people there really know Fred Smoot."

Last month, during a visit, he had positive meetings with defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and head coach Brad Childress.

Asked of his meeting with Tomlin, Smoot said, "I loved it.

"If Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly (the starting cornerbacks for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) did what they did (for Tomlin), me and (Antoine Winfield) can take it to a whole new level."

As for Childress, Smoot recalled all of their battles from his days with the Washington Redskins.

"I have a lot of respect for him," Smoot said of Childress, the Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator from 2002-05. "I got a chance to watch that offense grow. I watched them when they were developing then, when they were unstoppable. I know what type of coach I'm playing for."

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Smoot's offseason shapes up (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14061916.htm)

Prophet
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
"singersp" wrote:

... eleven pounds of muscle added to his 186-pound frame.
"I'm feeling real good right now," Smoot said. "I never really lifted weights in my life, and I've been lifting four days a week."

Asked if he still has his speed, Smoot said, "I might even be faster."...."I think they never got to see me as a player," Smoot said of Vikings fans. "I don't think people there really know Fred Smoot."...

Sounds good to me. Let's see what you've got Smoot. Put the chatter and skills together in '06.

olson_10
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
i think hes gonna have a big year after what steve smith did to him..itl be nice to see him get through a year without injuries as well

NordicNed
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm happy to read Smooth has been taking his offseason seriously.

Thats great he's put on a few pounds of muscle, maybe he will want to lay some wood next year.

I hope he steps it up a notch from what I did see last year. But I did take his injury into consideration....

I'm sure he will be a solid player for us for years to come..

digital420
03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
now we're seeing the guys who WANT to step up and BRING HOME THE TROPHY~!!!!

comeone smoot.. bring the fire and lets burn the opposition down!!

DiGiTaL

cogitans
03-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Thats what we like to hear as fans. Players who are doing their best to come in and make the next year the best one of their career.

mackd10
03-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Smoot needs to shut up and put up.........Ask Steve Smith.

Euphman06
03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
"mackd10" wrote:

I didn't know he was trash talking :scratch: Don't bust on the man when he is trying to make himself better. Geez.

vikeswin2005
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
thanx singer good post

i_bleed_purple
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
"Euphman06" wrote:

"mackd10" wrote:

I didn't know he was trash talking :scratch: Don't bust on the man when he is trying to make himself better. Geez.

well he did say that ir ronde barber and the other guy from tampa could do what they did with tomlin, that he and winfield should be able to play at a whole new level

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Nice read. I would love to see Smoot play like he did in Washington. If last season was any indication, we got a bust.. I think he is being serious, so that is nice to know that we got a guy coming back that wants to do alot better. Good to see he is gelling with the new coaches. Always a good sign..

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
"Euphman06" wrote:

"mackd10" wrote:

He was referring to last season when Smoot talked smack in pregame warmups to Steve Smith, and got lit up. Meaning, if you are going to run your mouth (like Smoot does all the time) then you better be able to back it up. Smoot likes to talk smack, but last season he didn't back it up..

V4L
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Good.. Maybe adding muscle will keep him healthy

Im looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.. I was pretty excited about the Smoot pick up.. And I know he is better then he played last year

triedandtruevikesfan
03-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I hope he really does step up this season. Last season I was so excited about all the talent we got and Smoot was the biggest let down, granted he was hurt, but he talked such a HUGE game and didn't back any of it up when he did play.

ultravikingfan
03-10-2006, 04:11 PM
He needs to improve.

We did not get our $$$ worth last year.

I am looking forward to it.

NodakPaul
03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Euphman06" wrote:

"mackd10" wrote:

He was referring to last season when Smoot talked smack in pregame warmups to Steve Smith, and got lit up. Meaning, if you are going to run your mouth (like Smoot does all the time) then you better be able to back it up. Smoot likes to talk smack, but last season he didn't back it up..

Of course it will help now that we have a defensive coordinator who doesn't have his head up his ass. That game is a perfect example of how not to effectively use your secondary aginast a talented WR. Smoot played the game the way he was coached to. Man, I am tried of people using that game as an excuse to hate on him.

I agree with Euphman06. That article was about Smoot bettering himself in the offseason. No need to bust on him for that.

tastywaves
03-10-2006, 05:48 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Euphman06" wrote:

"mackd10" wrote:

Of course it will help now that we have a defensive coordinator who doesn't have his head up his jiggly butt. That game is a perfect example of how not to effectively use your secondary aginast a talented WR. Smoot played the game the way he was coached to. Man, I am tried of people using that game as an excuse to hate on him.

I agree with Euphman06. That article was about Smoot bettering himself in the offseason. No need to bust on him for that.

Absolutely. Granted Smoot could have done better, but the coverage scheme blowed from the start and never adapted. Too much advantage goes to the WR in a 1on1 situation.

V4L
03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Euphman06" wrote:

"mackd10" wrote:

Of course it will help now that we have a defensive coordinator who doesn't have his head up his jiggly butt. That game is a perfect example of how not to effectively use your secondary aginast a talented WR. Smoot played the game the way he was coached to. Man, I am tried of people using that game as an excuse to hate on him.

Absolutely. Granted Smoot could have done better, but the coverage scheme blowed from the start and never adapted. Too much advantage goes to the WR in a 1on1 situation.

Expecially against Steve Smith!

VikingsTw
03-10-2006, 07:40 PM
For some reason i had a hunth this was gonna happen. I was hoping he was working out, trying to get stronger. Trying to be that 6$ dollar corner that he was payed for. This is really good news, this shows a little work ethic and maturity.

I think smoots a really competitive guy and he'll do what it takes to win the fans and teamates confidence back. I look foward to seeing him play.

RK.
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I think Smoot is a great player and will shine this year. I didn't think he did that bad last year. Yeah he got burned by Smith but then who didn't. And part of the reason for that was Cottrell's stoopid D schemes. Also I get tired of people complaining about a little trash talk. Our team needs a little attitude. If you trash talk a little bit and get burned so what? I don't want to be a fan of a bunch of latte drinking, sensitive getting in touch with their inner child wooosies. I want them to be in your face Vikings that aren't afraid to tell another team that they suck and we are going to kick their ass. :thumbright: You go Smoot.

litlharsh
03-11-2006, 08:16 AM
unless he changes his style and becomes more physical, I can't see this helping him much.

VikingsTw
03-11-2006, 08:19 AM
"litlharsh" wrote:

unless he changes his style and becomes more physical, I can't see this helping him much.

Alot of CB's are not that physical, Winfield is specail, i wish we had two of him. We let our other physical DB go to FA,

ShanePurpleBlood
03-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I sure hope this will get him to pro bowl status!

mackd10
03-11-2006, 09:07 AM
That's the Big question regarding Smoot .A cover 2 corner needs to play bump and run and play the run on his side of the field , becuase in the cover 2 the safties are playing back 90 % of the time. B Williams is a better fit. Good players don't talk !@## when they give up 200 yards to a receiver. The great ones play the game. Ask Freddie Mitchells Hand's?

Ltrey33
03-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Wow....all the free agency talk and now this! If we can get this Culpepper stuff worked out we are golden!

audioghost
03-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Starting to appreciete Smoot's drive....he is a hungry player....can't stay mad at him for too long, as long as he performs well on the field I'll be willing to forget about the dildos and hookers, thats for the court to rule on, not me....

VKG4LFE
03-12-2006, 02:02 AM
He better improve this year for all the money we're giving him! I'm excited to see him and Winfield this year!! Too bad we lost our nickel back though and got NOTHING FOR HIM!! That pisses me off bad!

Jordan
03-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah i read this article a couple days ago and he sounds like he gotten himself straight and in shape and everything now he has to prove it. IM NOT OFF OF THE FRED SMOOT BANDWAGON YET!!!

Wiggles67
03-12-2006, 02:29 AM
I really hope that this translates into better tackling out of him this year. He missed sooo many taclkes last year.

I hope this shuts up some of the Smooth haters.

What more can the guy do??

He had a bad year and he is trying to better himself

At least he's trying!

Vikes
03-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Alright...Smoot get it done.

DaunteHOF
03-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Smoot is the man, he's gonna have a big year with a real DC

bigbadjerryball
03-12-2006, 05:10 AM
i agree he needs another chance but he needs to prove himself to me this year or otherwise bye bye