PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper's replacement???

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 04:33 AM
OK, 23 pages that Culpepper is leaving.
How about we talk about some people that could replace him.
Here's a guy I've been high on and mentioned it a few weeks ago.
Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green

He's just a junior but he's big like Culpepper. 6'4" and 225 pounds. He ran the 40 yard dash in 4.55 which is pretty good.

Here's what some top scouts say about him:

Positives:
I am not going to waste any time in saying that I absolutely love Jacobs and prefer him over Matt Leinart. Jacobs will be a better NFL quarterback. He has a huge arm, good vision, and great mobility. He has gotten the most out of the marginal talent that he has around him.
He threw for 41 touchdowns as a sophomore and ranked third nationally in pass efficiency. Has shattered all kinds of conference records while still a young quarterback. Also does very well in the classroom, a testament to his dedication on and off the field.

Negatives:
While I find very few aspects of his game that do not translate into NFL success, it must at least be mentioned that he has not played against consistent top-flight competition. Only games against Miami and Wisconsin this season would be considered as good, hard-nosed college football defenses.

Overview:
Considering that Jacobs completed 30-of-51 passes for a career-best 458 yards and five touchdowns against Wisconsin, it would be safe to say that that the competition argument is a moot point. Jacobs has done all that he can with the team and the players that surround him. He has all the tools necessary to be great in the NFL, even though the learning curve may take a little longer.

Although I see Jacobs as a solid first-round selection, he probably will not go until the second or third. But whoever lands him will be landing a franchise quarterback.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Sign Brees or trade for Schaub or David Garrard from Jax.

muchluv4smoot
03-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Brodie Croyle in round 2. Perfect fit for the WCO.

Mr. Purple
03-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Glad you brought this up....IDK if all of you realize this but....We need a Franchise QB now. BJ will do his job for the next year (possibly 2)...but what about in the long run...This Class has alot of talent at every postion...including QB.If we dont land Brees, I say we take a QB with our second pick.(pending what we do with the first and FA)

muchluv4smoot
03-09-2006, 04:37 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Atlanta is never gonna trade Schaub when Vick can't stay on the field. I think ATL is giving Vick 1 more year to improve/develope and if he doesn't, he is gone and Schaub is their guy.

VKG4LFE
03-09-2006, 04:38 AM
What about Shaun Hill!! lol

FedjeViking
03-09-2006, 04:39 AM
I see you show what he did as a sophomore. Is that where he is now? If it is, with his dedication off the field, he may not be ready for the NFL. It all depends on how devoted he is to his education.

muchluv4smoot
03-09-2006, 04:40 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I;m thinking we break the bank with all this money we have and go get Kerry Collins, since Moss said he is better then Daunte. :lol:

I really wish Brees didn't have that shoulder injury. That kind of scares me from him. Otherwise I would love to get him.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 04:41 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Atlanta is never gonna trade Schaub when Vick can't stay on the field. I think ATL is giving Vick 1 more year to improve/develope and if he doesn't, he is gone and Schaub is their guy.

You probably are right and the price may be too high. I do like Garrard from Jax and he did well last year as a fill in starter.

VKG4LFE
03-09-2006, 04:41 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I;m thinking we break the bank with all this money we have and go get Kerry Collins, since Moss said he is better then Daunte. :lol:
I really wish Brees didn't have that shoulder injury. That kind of scares me from him. Otherwise I would love to get him.

Yeah, great idea!! lol

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Frdje: I think those stats are for his junior year. There was just the mention of the one sophamore thing but the rest of the stats were this years.

muchluv4smoot
03-09-2006, 04:43 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

You probably are right and the price may be too high. I do like Garrard from Jax and he did well last year as a fill in starter.

I don't know that Garrard fits the WCO very well though. I wouldn't be suprised to see us just wait and draft a kid to take over next season and give Brad the starting job for this season.

finnishvikingsfan
03-09-2006, 04:45 AM
I say we need to draft a QB. Have him learn under Brad.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 04:49 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

I don't know that Garrard fits the WCO very well though. I wouldn't be suprised to see us just wait and draft a kid to take over next season and give Brad the starting job for this season.

Aren't the Jags running a version of the WCO? We have too many needs to pick a QB early in the draft so maybe we would take someone like Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) or Darnell Hackney (UAB) in the later rounds as the QB of the future. Is Ferotte as FA and if so he may be a good pick up to be nd string.

marshallvike
03-09-2006, 04:49 AM
is cojomay omar jacobs dad?

Mr Anderson
03-09-2006, 04:50 AM
http://www.betus.com/img/benchwarmers/2005-11-02-001.jpg

If we trade him, it should be to the saints for their pick, give em B-Will too.

Or our pick.

Id much rather have Leinart than anyone else, he's gonna be great.

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Hey, I'm just telling you what the scouts say and I watched him play one game and really like him. All his accomplishments seemed to get overlooked with the likes of Leinart and Young but as one of the top NFL scouts said, he thinks he'll make a better QB than Leinart.
We'll see.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 04:58 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Hey, I'm just telling you what the scouts say and I watched him play one game and really like him. All his accomplishments seemed to get overlooked with the likes of Leinart and Young but as one of the top NFL scouts said, he thinks he'll make a better QB than Leinart.
We'll see.

Clemens out of Oregon could be a decent QB as well, but the track record of Oregon Qb's in the NFL is not good.

faninphx
03-09-2006, 04:59 AM
Denny Green said that QBs like Daunte were the wave of the future and he's right on the money. We need to do whatever we can to get a qb that can break a run.
I say we do whatever we can to get Q Carter or this Omar guy.

finnishvikingsfan
03-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Jacobs is over looked because of the conference he plays in and the team he plays on. I have seen a few of his games on tv he has impressed me but I wish he would have stayed in school and work on some of his mechincs.

Ltrey33
03-09-2006, 05:05 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

Brodie Croyle in round 2. Perfect fit for the WCO.

Good idea. Sit him behind BJ for a year and let him learn.

I'd like to see us trade up and get Cutler or Leinart, but I definately don't see that happening unless we get wicked compensation for Culpepper (which isn't likely).

If all else fails, and we don't get Brees from FA then we should take a guy like Croyle.

I like the idea of Brees, but I wouldn't cry if it were someone else.

KJ
03-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Cojo, you're not the only one that's high on Jacobs :wink:

Here's what I said in the Offseason forum:"KJ" wrote:

I like Omar Jacobs. I think he'll end up being a very good NFL QB. I really don't see much of a difference between him and Vince Young, except that Young played in the Big 12. Both are big, fast, athletic guys that have funky mechanics. Vince has all the hype going for him though. Not saying he doesn't deserve the hype, because the way he played in the Rose Bowl was incredible, but I don't think he's that much better than Jacobs.

And people only worrying about the top 3 will be surprised in a few years when guys like Croyle, Whitehust, Jacobs, and others could potentially be starting. It's almost guaranteed that at least one of those top 3 will not make it, and at least one of the forgotten QBs taken after the first round will make it and become at least a decent starter.

I would like very much for us to draft Omar Jacobs in the 2nd round, have him sit for a year behind Brad, and then see what he can do. I also watched that Wisconsin game, and it was simply amazing how bad he torched the Badgers that game.

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Jacobs is over looked because of the conference he plays in and the team he plays on. I have seen a few of his games on tv he has impressed me but I wish he would have stayed in school and work on some of his mechincs.

I would agree. Next year, if he would stay healthy, he'd probably be a first round top pick. But I think with a QB coach and working behind Brad, he can forgo that last year of college and still become a good NFL QB. He's got all the talent in the world.

Euphman06
03-09-2006, 05:09 AM
I'd go with omar jacobs. He sounds like the real thing just overlooked. I would be excited if we drafted him in the second after picking up a big time line backer in the first.

GreenBaySlackers
03-09-2006, 05:17 AM
troy smith next year, hello heisman.

magicci
03-09-2006, 05:21 AM
o,ar jacobs sounds sweet

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 05:22 AM
What does everyone know about Reggie McNeal? Also, someone mentioned Brodie Croyle... where does everyone think these two will land in the draft?

Peace.

VikesfaninWis
03-09-2006, 05:22 AM
"Mr Anderson" wrote:

http://www.betus.com/img/benchwarmers/2005-11-02-001.jpg

If we trade him, it should be to the saints for their pick, give em B-Will too.

Or our pick.

Id much rather have Leinart than anyone else, he's gonna be great.

And if Leinart replaces Pepp, then #11 will be available...

Seriously, I think Drew Brees is our guy. He is young, and very disciplined. With Brees we can go to the SB..

Lotza
03-09-2006, 05:23 AM
i dunno...

Ltrey33
03-09-2006, 05:27 AM
"slimerg0d" wrote:

What does everyone know about Reggie McNeal? Also, someone mentioned Brodie Croyle... where does everyone think these two will land in the draft?

Peace.

Not sure about McNeal, but I've heard that Croyle will land somewhere in the early to mid second round.

fabybaby32
03-09-2006, 05:33 AM
I agree with yall who are saying that Omar Jacobs is a talented young kid. No doubt, he had a great career at Bowling Green, but if you look at his stats his senior year, they were not near as impressive as those of his jr year. He became much more wide known and some football analyists had him as a heisman favorite. Maybe he folded under the pressure. His jr. year he threw for 4002 and 41 tds. His sr. year he threw for 2591 and 26. He also threw 3 more picks. No doubt, if we got this guy, I would be happy, but i do not think he is quite the best fit.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 05:38 AM
"fabybaby32" wrote:

I agree with yall who are saying that Omar Jacobs is a talented young kid. No doubt, he had a great career at Bowling Green, but if you look at his stats his senior year, they were not near as impressive as those of his jr year. He became much more wide known and some football analyists had him as a heisman favorite. Maybe he folded under the pressure. His jr. year he threw for 4002 and 41 tds. His sr. year he threw for 2591 and 26. He also threw 3 more picks. No doubt, if we got this guy, I would be happy, but i do not think he is quite the best fit.

Anyone have video on this kid?

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Brodie Croyle has lousy times running the 40. Over 5 seconds on one try. His stock really dropped with that. I don;t know that McNeal even was invited to the combine.
Another good looking QB is Brett Basanez from Northwestern.
He is a senior and had the same 40 time as Omar. He set every every major career passing and total offense mark at NU, and ranks among the Big Ten's best in numerous categories ... Finished his career with 30 Wildcat records, most notably career passing yards, total offense, completions and passing TD's ... Ranked second on the Big Ten career charts for pass completions (913), pass attempts (1,584), passing yards (10,580) and total offense (11,576) ... Ranks 13th on the NCAA's all-time total offense list and 28th on the all-time passing yardage list ... Northwestern's winningest quarterback (22 career wins, 22-24) ... Started 46 career games at NU, the last 40 in succession ... Came up 4 rushing yards shy of becoming the first quarterback in NCAA Division I-A history to finish his career with 10,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards

No doubt, he had a great career at Bowling Green, but if you look at his stats his senior year, they were not near as impressive as those of his jr year.
HUH???? He's only a junior!

MrGopher16
03-09-2006, 05:40 AM
none.

singersp
03-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Before today, many people wanted Brad to replace C-Pep. Now today, in this thread, his name is rarely being brought up.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 05:45 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I don;t know that McNeal even was invited to the combine.

I believe that McNeal ran a 4.38 and a 2nd run for 4.43 at the combine.

Also from what I read is that Brodie ran a 4.87 and a 5.01 and it can be compared to cutler who ran a 4.88 and a 4.83 and Omar Jacobs ran a 4.88 and a 4.93.

i_bleed_purple
03-09-2006, 05:46 AM
he'd be an adaquate replacement for a couple of years tops, but we need to find a QB who can become our franchise QB and fill our QB needs for the next 8 years. Brees could mabye do that IF his shoulder heals well. idealy we would draft someone and they would develop under BJ. similar to what culpepper did his rookie year, except mabye this guy would last longer and not be a lil' b*tch.

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Singer:
I think we all agree that Brad will be the starter next year. I like Brad but we need to groom a younger guy under him in MHO. I'm justr raising some names who I think look good for the draft. I guess Breese's injury bothers me a bit but I'm sure Foley knows him well.
No video of Omar but here's a picture of him:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2006-02/22150923.jpg

GreenBaySlackers
03-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we let brad handle it this year and take troy smith from OSU next year. We're in position to get a hell of a runningback in maroney williams or white, i bet we chill on the QB's untill next year.

singersp
03-09-2006, 05:53 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Singer:
I think we all agree that Brad will be the starter next year. I like Brad but we need to groom a younger guy under him in MHO. I'm justr raising some names who I think look good for the draft. I guess Breese's injury bothers me a bit but I'm sure Foley knows him well.
No video of Omar but here's a picture of him:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2006-02/22150923.jpg

Well then. It wouldn't exactly be Culpeppers replacement then. That would be Brad.

There's no telling how Brees will be able to throw after that shoulder injury.

He'd be to risky. Is he worth the risk? That's the question.

I can't see throwing a ton of money at a guy without knowing if he can throw or not.

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Here's the list of QB invited to the combine that I have:
Brett Basanez, Northwestern
Kellen Clemens, Oregon
Brodie Croyle, Alabama
Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
Bruce Eugene, Grambling
Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo
Darrell Hackney, Alabama-Birmingham
Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State
Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green
Matt Leinart, Southern California
Travis Lulay, Montana State
Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M
Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington
Barrick Nealy, Texas State He did a 4.38
Drew Olson, UCLA
Paul Pinegar, Fresno State
Quinton Porter, Boston College
DJ. Shockley, Georgia
Brad Smith, Missouri
Kent Smith, Central Michigan
Marcus Vick, Virginia Tech
Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson
Vince Young, Texas

Sorry, I missed him first time around.

It wouldn't exactly be Culpeppers replacement then. That would be Brad.
I see your point Singer -- point taken! LOL

finnishvikingsfan
03-09-2006, 05:58 AM
There is a pretty good QB from Furman that might be worth taking a look at. I dont know his name or anything like that.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Date: Feb 27, 2006

UPDATED: 2/27/06, 7:52 PM::Along with the receivers, the signal callers worked out today for NFL scouts. Here's a look at their 40-times and practice notes.

Full Name School Pos 40-1 40-2 20-sht2 20-sht1
Brett Basanez Northwestern QB 4.77 4.79
Kellen Clemens Oregon QB INJ
Brodie Croyle Alabama QB 4.87 5.01
Jay Cutler Vanderbilt QB 4.88 4.83
Bruce Eugene Grambling QB 5.16 5.09
Bruce Gradkowski Toledo QB 4.60 4.61
Darrell Hackney UAB QB 4.89 4.92
Tarvaris Jackson Alabama State QB 4.69 4.65
Omar Jacobs Bowling Green QB 4.88 4.93
Matt Leinart USC QB DNR
Travis Lulay Montana State QB 4.75 4.73
Ingle Martin Furman QB 4.72 4.74
Reggie McNeal Texas A&M QB 4.38 4.43 4.29 4.25
Erik Meyer Eastern Washington QB 4.72 4.69 4.16 4.12
Barrick Nealy Texas State QB 4.66 4.70 4.32 4.26
Drew Olson UCLA QB 5.15 5.15 4.47 4.42
Paul Pinegar Fresno State QB 5.21 5.27 4.55 4.49
Quinton Porter Boston College QB 4.75 4.74 4.11 4.10
Michael Robinson Penn State QB DNR DNR
D.J. Shockley Georgia QB 4.68 4.62 4.20 4.17
Kent Smith Central Michigan QB 4.66 4.63 4.50 4.47
Brad Smith Missouri QB 4.45 4.52 4.34 4.33
Marcus Vick Virginia Tech QB 4.60 4.55 4.08 4.08
Charlie Whitehurst Clemson QB 4.74 4.72 4.14 4.11
Vince Young Texas QB DNR DNR

KJ
03-09-2006, 06:05 AM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

There is a pretty good QB from Furman that might be worth taking a look at. I dont know his name or anything like that.Ingle Martin. He is very intriguing.

i_bleed_purple
03-09-2006, 06:11 AM
does anyone know what culpepper's time was for the 40?

finnishvikingsfan
03-09-2006, 06:22 AM
"KJ" wrote:

There is a pretty good QB from Furman that might be worth taking a look at. I dont know his name or anything like that.Ingle Martin. He is very intriguing.
Does anyone happen to have a prospect report on him??

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 06:32 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

does anyone know what culpepper's time was for the 40?
He ran a 4.6

ItalianStallion
03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
I would prefer to address his replacement this year, rather than have to start a rookie next year.

kyleo1967
03-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Brees would be a great pick up. but lets not forget why he has been so good....the threat of LT running the ball. We would have to bring in a big time RB to go with Brees. Which is just fine by me

PhillyVikes
03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Is a bird, or a plane, no it's the Brees!!!!

I wont mind having Brees coming in at all. I think he will fit right in with what our new offese is going to be ran.

Go Vikes!!!

ChiTownVike
03-09-2006, 07:22 AM
"PhillyVikes" wrote:

Is a bird, or a plane, no it's the Brees!!!!

I wont mind having Brees coming in at all. I think he will fit right in with what our new offese is going to be ran.

Go Vikes!!!

I would love to see Brees come in since we have more cap room!!!!!

ChiTownVike
03-09-2006, 07:24 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

You know how crazy the market would be for Vick

Besides doesnt he have like a 10 year contract left??

XxS2TheEvoxX
03-09-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm very high on Omar Jacobs at the moment. There's a chance that he'll be avaliable in the 2nd for us.

I wasn't a huge fan of getting Brees because I believed Culpepper would still be here... but I definitely wouldn't mind him now.

DaunteHOF
03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
people feelings are hurt, daunte will be the starting qb at the start of the season

olson_10
03-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Brees..i think hes more likely to win more games for us than johnson..itd really work out to get james and brees, then he would at least have the big time running back on the field with him..this whole daunte thing could be a blessing in disguise, who knows

LAVike
03-09-2006, 08:30 AM
JEFF GEORGE!!!

Come on guys, how 'bout it?! Ugh.

mn2181
03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
We should get Brees since we have more cap room now. And Foley knows him so that's our advantage.

Big C
03-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Call me crazy but I think we might actually keep Culpepper and try and draft a QB in 1st or 2nd rounds. If we get someone from free agency it will have to be someone who is undoubtedly better than Dante. Brees maybe that person but he is coming of shoulder injury to throwing arm, didn't do much while Gates was injured, and had the best RB in the league behind him. Does that equate to Dante's success with Moss?

Garard (forgive spelling) and Schaub are good, but are they REALLY better than Dante? Sure they looked good in a few games, but so did Dante in 2004. Personally, I don't think so. Now with the cap increasing I don't see any other quality QBs entering FA.

I feel the Vikings will hold on to Dante, tell him to STFU and just play. You know try some tough love on him and see how it works. We might draft a QB in early rounds for the future. Brad won't be here forever and it gives us a backup if Dante is not the long term solution. If Dante does well this season it will increase his trade value.

It's almost a win-win situation to pay him the $8 million and keep him rather than trade him away for an unknown.

digital420
03-09-2006, 11:11 AM
"Big C" wrote:

Call me crazy but I think we might actually keep Culpepper and try and draft a QB in 1st or 2nd rounds. If we get someone from free agency it will have to be someone who is undoubtedly better than Dante. Brees maybe that person but he is coming of shoulder injury to throwing arm, didn't do much while Gates was injured, and had the best RB in the league behind him. Does that equate to Dante's success with Moss?

Garard (forgive spelling) and Schaub are good, but are they REALLY better than Dante? Sure they looked good in a few games, but so did Dante in 2004. Personally, I don't think so. Now with the cap increasing I don't see any other quality QBs entering FA.

I feel the Vikings will hold on to Dante, tell him to STFU and just play. You know try some tough love on him and see how it works. We might draft a QB in early rounds for the future. Brad won't be here forever and it gives us a backup if Dante is not the long term solution. If Dante does well this season it will increase his trade value.

It's almost a win-win situation to pay him the $8 million and keep him rather than trade him away for an unknown.

I think this is exactly how it's gonna play out.

1. Dc will be told to play.. we arn't shipping u out for nothin..
2. next year he'll be traded.. probably for 1,2 round pics.
3. Brad will prolly start, and Dc take over if he's not healthy
4. We get more value for Dc, and if we get a qb now time with 2 good qb's teaching him how it's done
5. next year.. we'll have our new stud in place.. and prolly Bj as his backup, and Dc somewhere over the rainbow..

DiGiTaL

mackd10
03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
No one has talked about that QB out of Texas A&m. The one Chavos says is the best player in the Draft.

singersp
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
If Daunte goes, team must weigh QB alternatives

Williamson says young Vikings are prepared to move past Culpepper with Brad Johnson in 2006 and, hopefully, with a new QB of the future beyond that.

Mark Craig, Star Tribune
Last update: March 09, 2006 – 12:45 AM

Troy Williamson pictured himself catching passes from Daunte Culpepper for years to come when the Vikings made him the seventh overall draft pick last year.

But now he knows that probably won't be the case. Not after a friend told him Wednesday that Culpepper had issued a public request to be traded or released "as soon as possible." The request, which was delivered to multiple media outlets via e-mail, could be the final blow in what has been a tumultuous relationship between the team and its three-time Pro Bowl quarterback this offseason.

"I'm sure Daunte's got a reason for what he's doing," Williamson said. "He's looking out for himself and his family. I can't fault him. Of course, I'd miss him. It would be sad, but we'd move on without him."

Williamson said the Vikings can't afford to waste any time finding their quarterback of the future if Culpepper is jettisoned. Brad Johnson would be the projected starter in 2006, but he's entering his 15th season and will be 38 in September. J.T. O'Sullivan is the only other quarterback.

"I think we'd be good in 2006," Williamson said. "Brad had an excellent year last year. He's a great quarterback, but who knows how long he's got left?"

The options for future franchise-caliber QBs aren't exactly plentiful in free agency or where the Vikings pick (17th) in the first round of next month's draft.

Drew Brees, 27, is the only young, franchise-caliber quarterback who will be an unrestricted free agent. Of course, that's assuming he can make a full recovery from a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

Brees will be expensive, but the Vikings have more salary cap space (about $31 million) than any other team. A more affordable option the Vikings will look at is Arizona's Josh McCown. He's 27 with four years of experience and 22 starts.

The field of restricted free agent quarterbacks is unimpressive. San Francisco's Ken Dorsey, 24, probably is the best of the bunch.

Meanwhile, in the draft, the top three quarterbacks -- USC's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler -- are expected to be off the board by the time the Vikings select.

According to NFLdraft- scout.com, only two other quarterbacks -- Alabama's Brodie Croyle and Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst -- are likely to be first-day picks. Both are third-round projections.

Of course, if the quarterback of the future comes via the draft, the Vikings probably will shop for an experienced veteran to back up Johnson. Some of the free agents available include Jay Fiedler, Ty Detmer and Twin Cities native Chris Weinke.

"I'd love to see Daunte come back," Williamson said. "But either way, we should be OK."

If Daunte goes, team must weigh QB alternatives (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/294592.html)

VikesFan4Life
03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I heard a while back that Childress liked Charlie Whitehurst from Clemson. Don't know if that's 100% true, but I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted him.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I would prefer to address his replacement this year, rather than have to start a rookie next year. I assume his short term replacement this year would be Brad Johnson. But hopefully we will pick up someone who isnt 38 years old. JMO

Peace.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
"mackd10" wrote:

No one has talked about that QB out of Texas A&m. The one Chavos says is the best player in the Draft. Yes, we have. Scroll back and look at what is said about Reggie McNeal. If you could get him in the 2nd or 3rd might be worth taking a look at.

sleepagent
03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I still say we take the best player available with our #17 pick.

We can shore things up in the later rounds and FA.

If we don't get a top-quality QB this year, then we'll just have to wait till next year.

I don't want a Heath Shuler, Joey Harrington, etc. situation.

singersp
03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Culpeppers replacement will be Brad Johnson unless there is a chance they sign Brees & start him over Brad, but I doubt it.

Why isn't Johnson up in MN learning Childress' new system? :wink:

Prophet
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Knowing what I know of BJ, he is learning the system. I'll do my part in speculation here, based on BJs history he has been a student of the game his whole career. I'm willing to bet he is boning up on all the reading material possible that has been supplied to him by Childress and the coaching staff. Sure, pure speculation, but his professional history infers that he would be doing that. Besides, a ballboy and a janitor told me he was learning the system....oh yeah, and 'a source' (one of the voices inside my head).

NordicNed
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Culpeppers replacement will be Brad Johnson unless there is a chance they sign Brees & start him over Brad, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't doubt if Johnson already has the playbook, and has been studying..
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Del Rio
03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
"singersp" wrote:

You have no idea he isn't.

See when people do what they are suppost to (Brad Johnson) there is no story to be told.

You have half the stories the ones that sale about Daunte.

You assume much.

NordicNed
03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
How about bringing in Jon Kitna for a look?..

We was bought up around the WCO......Just a thought....

singersp
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Bottom line is if DC goes, we have Brad & JT O'Sullivan as our only QB's.

Brad can get the job done, but ih he goes down for any reason, I don't have a warm fuzzy about JT or a rookie starting.

We are going to have to look at a veteran back up. JT has only taken a few snaps as a starter during the NFL season.

singersp
03-09-2006, 03:21 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

See when people do what they are suppost to (Brad Johnson) there is no story to be told.

You assume much.

You're assuming he is & I'm simply questioning that he isn't.

Neither one of us knows for sure.

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I wouldn't doubt if Johnson already has the playbook, and has been studying..
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Didnt Childress say at the combine that there is No playbook yet?

6-KINGS
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Now I like that Kitna!!

Always have going back to Euro Football.

A side note: He starts for my Madden expansion Team San Antonio Vipers.
He is having a top 5 QB season.
So there ya go.
If it works in Madden it will work on the field.

:wink:

Vikadelic
03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

We'll see.

Clemens out of Oregon could be a decent QB as well, but the track record of Oregon Qb's in the NFL is not good.

I still can't get the images of how badly he burned the Badgers last fall. The kid is special and one hellacious athlete. Good call Cojomay!

NordicNed
03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm sure the coaches and managment are already doing just that. Doing there homework and figuring out their next step.

I think Brad would be a very capable starter for us, he's proven that.

We need a to either find a solid backup, who is still good enough to put some presure on Brad for the starting position, or bring in a Draft Pic QB, someone with alot of potential who might not need 2 or 3 years to develope....More like 1 or 2, and maybe even could step right in if injury to Brad did happen. But let us not forget, Brad is one tough cookie. Plus he plays it safe, wouldn't take that many hits at all if we put a strong O line infront of him....

slimerg0d
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

The only thing I worry about is his age. I think he's 34 years old.

Del Rio
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

You assume much.

The only difference being you are trying to sell it as truth across multiple threads, I am just taking it for what it is.......bullshit. :grin:

You have no idea if Daunte has contacted Childress more, or if Brad is not learning the new system. Your eagerness to defend Daunte has left you reaching.

mr.woo
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
wat about david gerrard? he looked good when he played. possible pick up

SWAYZE74
03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
well...im not sure how anyone can put Collins name in the mix...NFC Championship? How could ya cheer for that dude? i couldnt...

Gerrard (sp?) i think jacksonville has already/currently worked out a deal to resign him...

my guess would be look in the draft for our next QB...let whoever we draft sit the first year behind brad and learn the system so he doesnt look like a deer in headlights when he starts...

but as many teams have showed over the last 5 seasons or so...you can win the big one with a RUNNING GAME and DEFENSE...just ask brad...so Edge is looking better and better imho...

peace...

singersp
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

You assume much.

The only difference being you are trying to sell it as truth across multiple threads, I am just taking it for what it is.......kaka del toro. :grin:

You have no idea if Daunte has contacted Childress more, or if Brad is not learning the new system. Your eagerness to defend Daunte has left you reaching.

I'm basing it off what I've read. Where's the proof that Brad is?

mr.woo
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
i dont think there are any capable qbs that will still be around at #17. but who knows.crazier things have happened.

Del Rio
03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

You assume much.

The only difference being you are trying to sell it as truth across multiple threads, I am just taking it for what it is.......kaka del toro. :grin:

There is none, and again the point is unlike you I'm not trying to convince people there is.

You are merely speculating in order to attempt to stick up for Daunte, but you have no proof of your claims.

You stated

"truth be known Daunte has met with childress more the Johnson"

"Why isn't Johnson up in MN learning Childress' new system?"

So when your the one making the statements the burden of proof is on you. I don't know either way, all I know is you don't either so if anyone is passing by reading your accusations they just need to keep that in mind.

Roles
03-09-2006, 03:56 PM
What about Aaron Brooks?

singersp
03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

You assume much.

There is none, and again the point is unlike you I'm not trying to convince people there is.

You are merely speculating in order to attempt to stick up for Daunte, but you have no proof of your claims.

You stated

"truth be known Daunte has met with childress more the Johnson"

"Why isn't Johnson up in MN learning Childress' new system?"

So when your the one making the statements the burden of proof is on you. I don't know either way, all I know is you don't either so if anyone is passing by reading your accusations they just need to keep that in mind.

Point taken Del. Perhaps I should have phrased the comments a bit differently;

From what I've read & heard thru Childress' comments, it appears to me Daunte has had more contact with Childress than Johnson".

"Is Johnson up in MN learning Childress' new system?"

6-KINGS
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
"Roles" wrote:

What about Aaron Brooks?

Good Lord no!!!!

Mommy make this idea go away!!!! :wink:

SKOL
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
QB's taken anywhere in the draft are a crapshoot anyway, particularly those taken high in the first round. Some of the best QB's of all time have been drafted in later rounds. Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana and Dan Fouts were all 3rd rounders.

I'd be comfortable taking a QB at #17, particularly if he can be groomed under Johnson for a couple of years. Of course we'd need a capable backup.

COJOMAY
03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Also BJ has been running a WC offense for several years, Culpepper hasn't.

ChezPizmo
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Now now, we don't want another locked thread, guys. :wink:

ultravikingfan
03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
"Roles" wrote:

What about Aaron Brooks?

We would like to finish the season with at least 2 wins. :???:

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 04:34 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Roles" wrote:

What about Aaron Brooks?

We would like to finish the season with at least 2 wins. :???:

That's being generous to say the least.

ChezPizmo
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Overview:
Considering that Jacobs completed 30-of-51 passes for a career-best 458 yards and five touchdowns against Wisconsin, it would be safe to say that that the competition argument is a moot point. Jacobs has done all that he can with the team and the players that surround him. He has all the tools necessary to be great in the NFL, even though the learning curve may take a little longer.

That's enough for me. :lol:

But seriously, we don't know for sure what is going to happen with DC. We have a pretty good thought of the outcome, but do not know for sure. If indeed he does leave (which is probable at this point in time), he will be leaving behind some pretty big shoes to fill, just as being a franchise QB (which seems BJ filled this past season). But none the less, we will need a replacement. BJ brought good poise and smoothness to the offense this past seaon, and I think would be a great teacher for a young QB if we decide to draft in that direction.
At first, I was a bit skeptical with the thought of Brees, but the more you guys talk and bring it up, the more I can picture him in Minnesota. With a new type of offense, hell, maybe it will be a good thing getting a new QB to evolve along with this developing system.

Del Rio
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I am excited to see how Wilf acts.

If he decides to stand by Daunte and try to rehab their relationship and get him excited about being a Viking again then I will be all for it.

If he decides to kick him to the curb I will be all for it.

Either way he goes I can find respectable. He needs to it with conviction IMO. So whatever he decides he should make a clean cut so there will be less scaring. You fix it either way, but fix it right. If Wilf lets it drag on too long it's only going to hurt the team.

ultravikingfan
03-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I think it is funny how prior to yesterday most of these QB's have not have been mentioned.

Now all of the sudden, people are scrambling to look at stats and read the analysts take on these guys and then coming out and saying that we should consider this guy.

I do not say squat about these guys. Why? I never watched them play a game. Stats are empty, opinions are like buttholes, they are not on Madden yet, and the combine is more empty than stats.

The true measure of a player is how he performs on the field!

**I am not pointing fingers here.

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
PA just said on his radio show KFAN that Drew Brees will be running the show here next season, and he said that Childress doesn't want Daunte around because of his attitude and work ethic.

ultravikingfan
03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

PA just said on his radio show KFAN that Drew Brees will be running the show here next season, and he said that Childress doesn't want Daunte around because of his attitude and work ethic.

Well, that sure makes all this a little more believable. PA is the man!

DarrinNelsonguy
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Here is an excerpt from Charley Walters column in St. Paul Pioneer Press:

Childress was a hit speaker at the Dunkers' breakfast Wednesday at the Minneapolis Club, addressing a large turnout in direct fashion on assorted issues. The only topic he sidestepped, attendees said, was the status of Culpepper, and that has been precarious for months. There is little doubt the Vikings will try to trade Culpepper to the highest bidder.
At Dunkers, Childress touched on experiences with Puckett, Bud Grant, Zygi Wilf, Joel Maturi, Glen Mason, and introduced some members of his staff.
As for Wilf and his perceived willingness to spend money in free agency, Childress said Wilf told him, "I never lose an auction."

Man I love Zygi's attitude!

Webby
03-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I got a call from Zygi...I'm trying out!

Point being, there aren't many good QBs out there.

sleepagent
03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
How about Randall Cunningham? Maybe he's laying tile somewhere and wants to better 1998.

. . . Or maybe not.

Navycoach
03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Geez, if we're throwing names in the hat, I'll go try out. Always wanted a shot at the NFL! LOL

wyorob
03-09-2006, 06:46 PM
I think it is funny.... I was run down like a red headed step child when I talked about getting rid of Bellpepper and look to the future. I said he was not a team player and was looking to get out. Hope he finds another Randy Moss to make his career again. Just another run happy, fumble crazy MLB playing QB. SEE YA !!!!!!! New offense, new coach, new system, new QB, sounds good to me.

shawn9876uss
03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I think they are going to go really hard for brees, he is a probowler, and will be ready this season.

wyorob
03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
[b] Give Tommy Kramer a beer and throw him out there, couldnt do any worse than the guys names that have been thrown out there. Lets look to the draft maybe we can get something for Bellpepper.

wyorob
03-09-2006, 06:51 PM
What about Shaub from Atlanta, I thought he was going to be available, he is a poised QB with great skills he showed last year when Vick went down.

Wiggles67
03-09-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah I am really surprised more people havent been suggesting Schaub as well. When Vick was out this year he ran that offense better than Vick ever has. I have no idea if he is a FA or not but if he is I would make a run at home before Brees, for the simple fact that he hasnt been injuried at all yet.

ultravikingfan
03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
"Webby" wrote:

I got a call from Zygi...I'm trying out!

Point being, there aren't many good QBs out there.

True.

But define "good".

Good as in he will get you over .500? Good as in they will have a good passer rating?

I like to think of good as in: this guy has the nads to strap the team on his back and say "follow me" and lead the way.

To me...that is good.

Steve Dils was not "good".

:wink:

whackthepack
03-09-2006, 08:02 PM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

yeah I am really surprised more people havent been suggesting Schaub as well. When Vick was out this year he ran that offense better than Vick ever has. I have no idea if he is a FA or not but if he is I would make a run at home before Brees, for the simple fact that he hasnt been injuried at all yet.

He is not a FA, he is going into his 3rd year and I think he would be a FA after next season! But we could always trade for him, give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and get a QB that trains behind Brad for the year and starts next year!

Atlanta traded another one of their QBs a few years ago that they did not want to make a starter, his name was Brett Favre and I think the Packers think that turned out OK!

DefensivePlaymaker
03-10-2006, 08:44 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

OK, 23 pages that Culpepper is leaving.
How about we talk about some people that could replace him.
Here's a guy I've been high on and mentioned it a few weeks ago.
Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green

He's just a junior but he's big like Culpepper. 6'4" and 225 pounds. He ran the 40 yard dash in 4.55 which is pretty good.

Here's what some top scouts say about him:

Positives:
I am not going to waste any time in saying that I absolutely love Jacobs and prefer him over Matt Leinart. Jacobs will be a better NFL quarterback. He has a huge arm, good vision, and great mobility. He has gotten the most out of the marginal talent that he has around him.
He threw for 41 touchdowns as a sophomore and ranked third nationally in pass efficiency. Has shattered all kinds of conference records while still a young quarterback. Also does very well in the classroom, a testament to his dedication on and off the field.

Negatives:
While I find very few aspects of his game that do not translate into NFL success, it must at least be mentioned that he has not played against consistent top-flight competition. Only games against Miami and Wisconsin this season would be considered as good, hard-nosed college football defenses.

Overview:

Although I see Jacobs as a solid first-round selection, he probably will not go until the second or third. But whoever lands him will be landing a franchise quarterback.

if he's much like culpepper, i wouldn't want him. give me someone like roethlisberger, hasselbeck, p. manning, or c. palmer.

modena11
03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
great rationalization.

i think every team in the NFL wants a QB of that calibre.

funny thing is, we have one and we want him out.

KJ
03-10-2006, 10:39 AM

"KJ" wrote:

Does anyone happen to have a prospect report on him??He had the strongest arm (according the the radar gun) at the combine. He started his career at Florida and transferred to Furman when it was apparent that he wouldn't be starting. He also logged quite a bit of time as a punter while he was at Florida. All in all, he's pretty athletic, has a very strong arm, and makes good decisions. If he had stayed at Florida and started, or transferred to another high-profile college, there's no doubt in my mind that he would be in the first or second round mix. As it stands right now, I would guess that he will go in the third or fourth round.

KJ
03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
"mackd10" wrote:

No one has talked about that QB out of Texas A&m. The one Chavos says is the best player in the Draft.That's false. He didn't say that McNeal is the best player in the draft, but that he had the most potential. There is a difference.

singersp
03-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Ex-Redskin club in Minnesota?

By David Elfin
March 10, 2006

There could be an ex-Redskins quarterback controversy in Minnesota, where petulant and pricey quarterback Daunte Culpepper demanded to be traded or cut.

If the Vikings accommodate Culpepper, the door opens for two former Redskins starters, Gus Frerotte or Patrick Ramsey, to join the team and compete for a job with a third, Brad Johnson.

The 37-year-old Johnson played well when he took over the Vikings offense after Culpepper injured his knee in October, throwing 12 touchdowns to only four interceptions. Johnson started for the Redskins from 1999 to 2000 and later Tampa Bay, leading the Buccaneers to the 2002 Super Bowl title.

He returned to Minnesota, which drafted him in 1992, last season as an insurance policy for Culpepper, who was coming off one of the top seasons in NFL history.

However, the Vikings have changed owners (Zygi Wilf) and coaches (Brad Childress) since that 2004 playoff run, and it appears it's time for a change at quarterback in the North Country, too.

That's how Frerotte, a Redskin from 1994 to 1998, and Ramsey, a Redskin since 2002, could fit in.

Frerotte was a surprise starter last year for the Dolphins, who don't want to pay the soon-to-be 35-year-old journeyman starter money.
Ramsey, 27, began his tour of the NFL (with Washington's permission) on Wednesday at the New York Jets.

Minnesota was not yet on his list. However, if the Jets and Dolphins land their prime targets, Jon Kitna and Drew Brees, respectively, Minnesota could join pursuit of Ramsey.

Youngster Josh McCown and retreads Jeff Garcia and Jay Fiedler are the other leading free agent quarterbacks.

The Vikings aren't the only team in the NFC North with an uncertain quarterback situation.

Detroit's new coach, Rod Marinelli, is considering Ramsey, among others, to compete with disappointing holdover Joey Harrington. Chicago knows the oft-injured Rex Grossman and 2005 rookie Kyle Orton weren't the reason for the Bears' division title.

And three-time MVP Brett Favre has yet to let Green Bay know whether he'll return for a 16th season. If Favre retires, the Packers definitely will bring in competition for their top draft pick of 2005, Aaron Rodgers.

There are other teams in the NFC with uncertainty at that spot, as well.

New Orleans figures to replace Aaron Brooks by using the second selection in April's draft on Southern Cal's Matt Leinart. The Bucs will choose between Chris Simms and Brian Griese, who split the job in 2005. And San Francisco's Alex Smith, the top choice overall in 2005, has yet to establish himself.

Frye ready to resume rivalry -- The Browns are ready to go young at quarterback. Charlie Frye, last year's third-round pick, is looking to supplant veteran Trent Dilfer.

"Charlie certainly has earned a strong look," general manager Phil Savage said.

Frye posted a record of 2-3 as a starter as a rookie and was sacked 22 times in just 186 dropbacks.

"He showed the ability to bounce back, some grit, toughness, determination," Savage said. "We saw some real positives."

The 6-foot-4, 217-pound former Akron quarterback can throw accurately on the run, much like the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning and former Miami (Ohio) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who Frye went 0-3 against in the Mid-American Conference.

Frye doesn't, however, have the cannon arm of the 6-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger, whose Steelers whipped Frye's Browns 41-0 on Dec. 24.

"Everybody's been talking about it for so long. I feel I can make all the throws. I've made all the throws," Frye said. "Hopefully after this season we can end that. The rookie quarterback that you saw this year, you won't see that guy next year. I played pretty well in the last five games, and I'm only going to get better."

Hey, big spender -- The $7.5 million increase in the salary cap leaves nine teams with more than $20 million to spend. In order of cap room they are: Minnesota, Arizona, Green Bay, Cleveland, San Diego, San Francisco, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Cincinnati. Only the last two are coming off playoff seasons.

Ex-Redskin club in Minnesota? (http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060310-121001-4983r_page2.htm)

olson_10
03-10-2006, 12:30 PM
im pulling for this supposed bulger and a 4th rounder deal for pep

olson_10
03-10-2006, 12:32 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Ex-Redskin club in Minnesota?

By David Elfin
March 10, 2006

There could be an ex-Redskins quarterback controversy in Minnesota, where petulant and pricey quarterback Daunte Culpepper demanded to be traded or cut.

If the Vikings accommodate Culpepper, the door opens for two former Redskins starters, Gus Frerotte or Patrick Ramsey, to join the team and compete for a job with a third, Brad Johnson.

The 37-year-old Johnson played well when he took over the Vikings offense after Culpepper injured his knee in October, throwing 12 touchdowns to only four interceptions. Johnson started for the Redskins from 1999 to 2000 and later Tampa Bay, leading the Buccaneers to the 2002 Super Bowl title.

He returned to Minnesota, which drafted him in 1992, last season as an insurance policy for Culpepper, who was coming off one of the top seasons in NFL history.

However, the Vikings have changed owners (Zygi Wilf) and coaches (Brad Childress) since that 2004 playoff run, and it appears it's time for a change at quarterback in the North Country, too.

That's how Frerotte, a Redskin from 1994 to 1998, and Ramsey, a Redskin since 2002, could fit in.

Frerotte was a surprise starter last year for the Dolphins, who don't want to pay the soon-to-be 35-year-old journeyman starter money.
Ramsey, 27, began his tour of the NFL (with Washington's permission) on Wednesday at the New York Jets.

Minnesota was not yet on his list. However, if the Jets and Dolphins land their prime targets, Jon Kitna and Drew Brees, respectively, Minnesota could join pursuit of Ramsey.

Youngster Josh McCown and retreads Jeff Garcia and Jay Fiedler are the other leading free agent quarterbacks.

The Vikings aren't the only team in the NFC North with an uncertain quarterback situation.

Detroit's new coach, Rod Marinelli, is considering Ramsey, among others, to compete with disappointing holdover Joey Harrington. Chicago knows the oft-injured Rex Grossman and 2005 rookie Kyle Orton weren't the reason for the Bears' division title.

And three-time MVP Brett Favre has yet to let Green Bay know whether he'll return for a 16th season. If Favre retires, the Packers definitely will bring in competition for their top draft pick of 2005, Aaron Rodgers.

There are other teams in the NFC with uncertainty at that spot, as well.

New Orleans figures to replace Aaron Brooks by using the second selection in April's draft on Southern Cal's Matt Leinart. The Bucs will choose between Chris Simms and Brian Griese, who split the job in 2005. And San Francisco's Alex Smith, the top choice overall in 2005, has yet to establish himself.

Frye ready to resume rivalry -- The Browns are ready to go young at quarterback. Charlie Frye, last year's third-round pick, is looking to supplant veteran Trent Dilfer.

"Charlie certainly has earned a strong look," general manager Phil Savage said.

Frye posted a record of 2-3 as a starter as a rookie and was sacked 22 times in just 186 dropbacks.

"He showed the ability to bounce back, some grit, toughness, determination," Savage said. "We saw some real positives."

The 6-foot-4, 217-pound former Akron quarterback can throw accurately on the run, much like the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning and former Miami (Ohio) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who Frye went 0-3 against in the Mid-American Conference.

Frye doesn't, however, have the cannon arm of the 6-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger, whose Steelers whipped Frye's Browns 41-0 on Dec. 24.

"Everybody's been talking about it for so long. I feel I can make all the throws. I've made all the throws," Frye said. "Hopefully after this season we can end that. The rookie quarterback that you saw this year, you won't see that guy next year. I played pretty well in the last five games, and I'm only going to get better."

Hey, big spender -- The $7.5 million increase in the salary cap leaves nine teams with more than $20 million to spend. In order of cap room they are: Minnesota, Arizona, Green Bay, Cleveland, San Diego, San Francisco, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Cincinnati. Only the last two are coming off playoff seasons.

Ex-Redskin club in Minnesota? (http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060310-121001-4983r_page2.htm)
well if frerotte apparently wants starters money, then he is definitely not coming here..besides you can only have so many elderly QBs

NordicNed
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Two things to think about right now....

Al Davis loves to be the story maker, always has and always will..

For PeP to go to the Raiders and be reunited with Moss, that would be on of the top stories of the decade....Al is surely licking his chops over this one.

The Rams with Lienhart now on their coaching staff, may be swayed into giving Pep a real look at and a offer thrown our way, just to see if their in the running..

I believe Lienhart and Pep had a good relationship, and I could see those two wanting to hook up again.

Good chance of that happening I think, a PeP for Bulger trade.....

I don't see the Jets in this picture at all..

i_bleed_purple
03-10-2006, 03:25 PM
IF he went to the raiders, the raiders would officially be screwed over. this is because they have a piss poor defense, and if they want to afford culpepper they're gonna have to make LOTS of cuts.

robertsmith
03-10-2006, 06:20 PM
we need Bree's end of discussion

Prophet
03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
"robertsmith" wrote:

:shock: Wow. You convinced me.

ultravikingfan
03-10-2006, 06:22 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"robertsmith" wrote:

:shock: Wow. You convinced me.

Relax...its Amth! What up Amth?

ohioviking
03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
The way i see it we dont need to get a vet. Qb in FA what we need is to pick up a solid qb in the draft (omar would work) that way johnson could take him under his wing and teach him about staying in the pocket (omar is not veary good at that he is like vick and wants to take off but he deff. has the skills to stay in the pocket under the right training) not only that but it would let the rookie Qb and Troy W. to evolve together kindda like culpepper and moss not only that but childress coached mcnabb think of what he could do with omar...... of course this would mean that the team would evolve slowly but will be very strong over time and i think thats what the new Vikes Org. is trying to do

FedjeViking
03-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Unless we trade Daunte and our 1st rounder to the Saints, Titans, or Jets for one of the top four picks in the draft, the odds of getting one of the two worthwhile QBs in the draft are pretty slim. Leinart and Cutler are almost sure to go in those top four picks and there isn't much behind them.

We could always hope to find a "diamond in the rough" in the later rounds but those odds are slimer still.

NordicNed
03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't really know how reliable KFAN out of MN is, but I was just listening and they made a statement, they just recieved word that it's New Orleans that is making a big push for PEP, but also at the same time they are looking at Brees.......Seems they really want for get one or the other......

seaniemck7
03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
The Rams with Lienhart now on their coaching staff, may be swayed into giving Pep a real look at and a offer thrown our way, just to see if their in the running..

I believe Lienhart and Pep had a good relationship, and I could see those two wanting to hook up again.

I think you mean Linehan :wink:

Anyway, with Brees coming off shoulder surgery, I would rather take Bulger in a trade with the Rams. However, I think Loney likes his guys. So I think we will make a push for Brees.