PDA

View Full Version : new stadium or update the dome

wyviking
07-07-2004, 07:52 PM
i think we should keep the dome just get it updated kinda like what the pack did a few years back to there stadium

VKG4LFE
07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I would have to agree with that, but I don't know what they could really do to update it. It's not like they can add seating and since the Twins use it also, they can't work on it during the summer like the packers did!

dan3ski
07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
I think a new stadium is in order due to the above given reasons and the fact that the dome is getting old. The Twins probably would like to see a new stadium top to make it easier on the outfielders picking up the ball.

wyviking
07-08-2004, 12:04 AM
yea true you can lose a base ball pretty easy in the dome with the white dome cover and those lites. o yea and if the ball never comes down like one time lol

triedandtruevikesfan
07-08-2004, 10:32 AM
that and the sport of baseball needs to be played outside! I think they need their own stadiums. I wouldn't mind seeing the vikes play outdoors either though!

purplepat
07-08-2004, 11:01 AM
There's no way to "rework" it to satisfy Red's lust for money. You can't add seats, though you might be able to take seats away to add more luxury boxes. You can't do much about the concession situation. They have tried to figure out how to make more money from playing in the Dome, but they haven't come up with anything viable. It's unfortunate, but sooner or later the Vikings will have to get a new stadium to produce more revenue (the Vikings are near the very bottom as far as revenue in the NFL).

SKOL
07-08-2004, 11:15 AM
It would probably help if the Vikings didn't have to pay 10% of suite revenue to former GM Mike Lynn (that's gross receipts, before expenses). LOL - How long has it been since he's been here, 20 years? What a 'suite' deal for him. I still want to know how he suckered others into that deal.

VKG4LFE
07-08-2004, 02:22 PM
What is that all about SKOL, I have no idea what that is. Could you elaborate on that whole Mike Lynn thing?

NEvikingsfan90
07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
why does it matter if the Vikes play outside or not

triedandtruevikesfan
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Playing outside would give us a huge advantage against warm weather teams. Besides that... I just think that sports deserve to be played outside, well sports like football and baseball anyways

sdvikefan
07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I watched an interview with Jim Marshall one time and he was talking about how the Purple People Eaters used to wear short sleeves under their uniforms in the cold winter weather to intimidate their opponents. Now Kevin Williams being from Arkansas and Udeze from LA might have some trouble getting used to that but it would still be pretty cool!

SKOL
07-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Sid Hartman's article of June 4, 1999 sums it up in a few words, "Former Vikings official Mike Lynn also has a claim in connection with the income he will receive from the Metrodome's executive suites -- about 10 percent -- until the Vikings' lease with the Dome expires in 2011."

It's no wonder Red wants out of the dome. :blackeye: It's too bad that an individual can benefit financially so long after his ties are cut with an organization. As the Common Man, of KFAN fame would put it, "it's a good gig if you can get it".

VKG4LFE
07-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Wow, I never knew about that!! I hope when I cut ties with my job someday there will be a nice little arrangement like that! But, I highly doubt it!!

ItalianStallion
07-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Hey TnT, I am not sure if you have noticed but our vikings, whether we like to admit it are currently a fair-weather team. I don't know if an outdoor stadium would work to our benifit given our deplorable record on grass and outdoors in the past few seasons.

Viking_Spirit
07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I think we need a new stadium. I don't see us updating the dome. But, we are an indoor team.......

TheFloridianVikingFan
07-08-2004, 10:28 PM
I agree totally i think the vikes should be indoor... Altough it would be kinda cool. Maybe a new stadium with a sliding dome hood to get an outdoor game every once and a while.. :santa:

SKOL
07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I've never attended an outdoor game. Personally I'd like to see any game outside, as long as it's above zero degrees fahrenheit. The LA Rams used to come to the old met, for December playoff games, they lost heart in the game as soon as they hit the field. They'd stand, huddled, by their heaters on the bench, while the Vikes were running around in short sleeves. That was a home field advantage.

shockzilla
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I would love to see BOTH the Twins and the Vikes get outdoor/retractible roof stadiums. I don't think one for the both of them would work. The Twins MUST play outside!!!!!! And the Purple should too - most of you probably are too young to remember the huge advantage the Vikes had playing outside in December and January...

Go TWINS!!!!!!!
SKOL VIKES!!!!!!!!!

ricky38
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
If the Vikings got a new outdoor stadium your road record would be a lot better. I think teams are getting away from domes per se and going to retractable roofs. I really think cold weather teams should play outdoors because its gives them such a huge advantage over a lot of teams and if you have to go to a cold weather away game you aren't at a disadvantage.

SKOL
07-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Would a retractable roof work in Minnesota in December and January? It would be a shame to see it only retract when it's above 40 degrees. But in order to retract it at 10 degrees they'd probably have to have a way to melt the snow and ice first, then have a way to re-melt it again before closing it.